June is Blooming, Nov '05 Mamas! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 307 Old 06-16-2007, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas! I just spent HOURS catching up on this thread! I know even writing this response in between everything else will take forever, too! So much going on with all of you, hope I don't forget anyone. I really do think of you all often and keep up with what's going on, even if I don't post.

DiD: happy belated birthday to you- sounds like your family was really sweet to you. I have been following your posts and thinking of you in your current situation; sorry I wasn't able to add my words of support sooner. I truly hope day by day that things begin to improve for all of you.

Amy- happy birthday to you, too! I just posted a comment on your blog so I won't repeat myself REALLY scary about the bureau almost falling on Brynn- thank goodness it happened when you were right there. there have been several times where we have had near misses- have accidentally left a door open and found ez halfway down the stairs when he was a baby, or had them almost fall from a height at the playground, and recently Ethan fell from the top of the stairs (he was fine thankfully) things that actually have made me wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat thinking what if???

Fern- where did you move to? I missed that part of the conversation. Are you still in Canada? What kind of job did you get? I missed that, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspirant View Post
I am a Christian, but I often refuse to claim that because Christianity in America is often a joke. I would rather my life show my beliefs than my words
Amen, sister- me, too. I would never deny my faith, but need to figure out a more accurate way to phrase it so I am not lumped in with the farce that passes as christianity in our society. I don't want to be associated with that and I feel like when I say "I'm a Christian" people automatically think GWB, divisiveness, etc. and that is NOT me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavita View Post
pushing down on her mid-back with one hand and pulling the crap out of her hair with the other hand, so that her back was totally arched and her head was totally yanked back and it was really hurting her. She normally doesn't cry much if she falls or gets pushed or knocked over by another kid, but it was really hurting her and she was crying and screaming like I haven't heard before or since.
O.M.G. That is just AWFUL! What did the mom say, if she was even around or paying attention? Did the kid understand he was doing anything wrong? What a horrible thing to happen, to Ella and to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups View Post
I sooooo need to work on the Zen parenting. I'm way too short-tempered and get frustrated much too easily. I can try to explain it (not justify, though) by saying that by the time Killy was a toddler, I was pregnant. When Killy was the age our babies are now, I had a newborn. And, Killy is very high-needs. He's a wild and wonderful kid! Throw a husband who works 80+ hours a week into that, and my patience is running pretty thin most of the time. I find that it is absolutely necessary for me to have 30-60 minutes a day by myself or just with other adults for me to be a really good mama (and after the kids are asleep it doesn't count, I'm exhausted by then!). But, I only get that 1-2 days a week, so I'm not a very good mama most of the time. I'm hoping once we get all caught up from moving that things will settle down a bit and I'll be able to have a few kid-free minutes every day.
This is pretty much where I'm at. I must have alone time every day, which used to be during naptime every afternoon, even if I was doing housework and emails I was still alone to think and concentrate. Now Ethan isn't napping any more, and 'quiet time' is a joke, so I'm getting no time to myself, ever and I'm really feeling it. I'm so much more short tempered (which, like you, started when I was pregnant and couldn't physically deal with my high needs child and ever since then have had many more bad mama moments) The past few weeks I have tried getting up early to read, pray, and stretch and it does hellp some. But it's so hard to lose more sleep, when I'm so drained to begin with. I often find myself reading till way too late at night just to be alone in the quiet, then I regret it in the morning.

I do try to stay in the moment and just enjoy my kids- and remember that THIS, right now, is life. This is what I wanted for so long, these babies, this house, friends and neighbors. I try to enjoy the feel of their soft hair and skin and pay attention to how they talk and move=- knowing that it will all be past so soon. It's so hard to balance what does need to get done with just letting go and playing with them- in reality, grocery shopping, cooking, and laundry CAN'T wait b/c we need to eat and we need clothes to wear! It's a constant, minute by minute balancing act, deciding .

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Oh, I forgot to share my bad day. Isaac (it's ALWAYS Isaac) lost his glasses three times and his shoes once before 8am. The phone rang at 8.10, with one of our antenatal teachers who wanted me to know that she was on the radio today, what would I like her to talk about?
The bus went without us at 8.22, instead we walked to the shop to buy things to go in lunchboxes. Got to the till, realised my purse was on the table. Back home, etc, got to school twentyfive minutes late and had to dash straight off to the mother and toddler group I run on the other side of town. Miraculously, I wasn't late for that, but I feel totally abused by some of the attendees- oh, and Skye trapped her fingers in the door hinges. Home, school, school fair, tantrums on the way home. It STUNK.
But you know what? I did good. I didn't lose my temper, I kept talking in "me" words, and I didn't kill Isaac, grab him by the ankles and swing him towards moving traffic, try and leave him at the shop in part-exchange or any of the other ideas that fleetingly crossed my mind. I survived.
Oooh, Helen. I can so relate. Sorry about the rough day Sounds like you handled it with grace, though. much better than I would have. There were a few days last week where just everything I tried to do went wrong, and I was so down and discouraged. Still thinking of you with your little bean, may he grow strong!

Well, ladies, thanks for letting me back in on the conversation, and sorry I've been so sporadic.

ETA: Ok, 6 hours later I finally posted this but I see I missed Alicia's post about your colleague; I am so sorry, what an awful and shocking way to end the year
#182 of 307 Old 06-18-2007, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Mary! Good to see you round these parts again! Thanks for the blog comment, too.

Mel, we've been saying lately maybe we should move to Cananda, but that picture makes me want to actually do it! Good lord, and I thought Oregon was breath-taking.

We had a really nice father's day yesterday. We ended the day with a pic-nic at this private forest/arboretum that we've joined, so we just went at sat by the lake and watched the geese. It was so nice.

I'm feeling kind of poopy today. It's mainly PMS, but exacerbated by a disappointing trip to our new pediatrician. She seemed knowledgeable enough, but really lacked common courtesy. She didn't greet us, didn't even really pay attention to or make eye contact with Brynn at all, and left the room without saying goodbye, nice to meet you, thanks for coming, or anything. I thought it was just totally rude, but so typical of the medical professional mentality, which is like we owe them something for taking time out of their busy schedules to see us. So I'm not going back to her, and now I need to decide if I'm going to try someone else at that clinic, or just go somewhere totally different. It's annoying.

:

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#183 of 307 Old 06-18-2007, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I forgot to say that I did get Brynn on video saying "Oh my goodness!" so you can check it out!

#184 of 307 Old 06-18-2007, 03:42 PM

Hi mamas!

I second the "great to see you Mary"!

Amy, that's a bummer about the ped. I know what you mean about the dr. mentality. We're fortunate enough to have a really great family Dr. but I've run into SOOOOO many like that one. Good personable Drs are really the exception, I think. Anyway, I sent DH the link to those adorable videos of Brynn on your blog and he agrees that she is entirely too cute and has awesome hair

Yesterday I finally got around to using the gift certificate for a hot rock massage that DH got me for christmas (made the booking without realizing it was Father's Day... oops... but DH wanted to hang out with Rowan anyway) and OH MY GOODNESS was that ever an amazingly wonderful experience. Beyond relaxing. So good. Wow. And it did something to me, too - about 3 or 4 hours afterwards I got this weird rush of full-body fatigue, which would have been pleasant if I'd had the luxury of just going to bed, but Rowan had a wonky day and ended up sleeping from 5:30 to 7 and there was laundry to be done etc etc. So I felt kind of crappy all evening but still very relaxed. And I slept very well last night.

My period has finally returned in full force - last month I bled for a day and that was it. TMI ALERT: but something's *wrong* down there. I couldn't put a tampon in, it was too painful. I think the scarring that I got fixed didn't heal properly (Yes, you WOULD think I would have noticed by now, but I'm not going to comment on the lack of activity in those parts...) I'm a bit worried. I just hope it IS fixable. I don't want to have to have another operation. And I have a terrible feeling that things are messed up enough that another vaginal birth might be out of the question. : Which may be a moot point if it can't be fixed enough even to have intercourse.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#185 of 307 Old 06-18-2007, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Spugh, I just sent you an email to your Telus account about your problems Down There, if you can check it from work.

I know, aren't hot rock massages the best??! We had a dual massage on our honeymoon (dual, like both of us at the same time, not like a dual where you have guns and try to shoot each other. Wait, that's duel, isn't it? : ) and it was heavenly. I think that our healthcare system should provide weekly massages to moms with kids under 5 years old.

Quote:
she is entirely too cute and has awesome hair
Aww, thanks.

#186 of 307 Old 06-18-2007, 04:23 PM

LOL, Amy, loved the videos!! Oh my goodness!

That totally sucks about the ped, it must be hard moving and having to find a new one. It sounds like the good ones are few and far between these days.

Spughy- I am soooooooo jealous of your massage! Although I did get a spa day for Mother's Day. I could do that stuff daily and it still wouldn't be often enough!

I want to move to Canada, too. Is that possible? I'm serious. Would they let us in?

Amy, didn't you used to live in Yellow Springs, OH and said it was pretty cool? If I am remembering correctly, I would love to hear about it.

Oh, and : I can now change my sig- the placenta has been buried! I thought Father's Day was a momentous enough occasion. Now that darn plant better not die!
#187 of 307 Old 06-18-2007, 04:27 PM

Amy, I think you might possibly need to sleep more, or go have another massage or something. Yay for rocks, boo for crappy paediatricians.
Spughy, I would go and find a thinking professional to take a look at your lady garden. Sex is too important to be abandoned.
I'm having a really meh day. The big appointment with my GP to make the referral to the early pregnancy unit for a scan was today, and the tightwad fuckwits won't see me because my recurrent miscarriages aren't recurrent enough. (one was too early, one not diagnosed.) So I either get to wait until 12 weeks for a scan or pay 140 quid for a viability scan now. Opinions would be very welcome... I KNEW I should have lied and said that something was wrong instead of going in and saying "things are great, I have a good feeling but I need this confirmation..."

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#188 of 307 Old 06-18-2007, 04:33 PM

Isn't it like the middle of the night there Helen? Why aren't you in bed?
#189 of 307 Old 06-18-2007, 04:47 PM

Helen would they believe you if you said you had been spotting? I understand needing confirmation. The first midwife I had with Joseph didn't do us unless they were needed. At 14 weeks when we couldn't hear his heartbeat with the doppler she saw the panic on my face and knew I *needed* and us right then. Of course everything turned out well and I just had a tipped uterus, but when things haven't gone well in the past it can be hard to believe they will.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#190 of 307 Old 06-18-2007, 04:49 PM

Amy - THANK YOU. I can get e-mails on that acct at work but I can't reply, for some reason. But that does give me hope. I am going to make an appt with my dr. to see what she thinks. Helen, my dr is great, and definitely fits the "thinking professional" category, and if she can't think of anything, she'll refer me to someone who can - and I know she will respect my wishes not to be sent anywhere within whacking distance of that nasty old OB who botched my fix-up surgery.

Mary - Canada might let you in. Depends on the professional/skilled trades kind of skills you or your DH have, or if you have relatives in Canada who would sponsor your immigration request. Or you can just move here and work illegally, it'll probably take them a while to catch on. You can hide in our attic. Congratulations on your placenta's new underground home, too!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#191 of 307 Old 06-18-2007, 05:17 PM

Amy: OMFG!!!! Brynn has to be the cutest damn thing EVER!!! She is SO verbal! I know she has been for a while but it never ceases to amaze me! Are everyone else's babes that verbal??? Noah is DEFINITELY not. He is a do-er, not a talker. Oh...and Amy...have you thought about just nixing the pediatrician idea all together and looking for a good D.O. for the whole family? I strongly suggest it! Noah and I see an amazing D.O. here in Indy who practices Eastern and Western medicine. him!

Sarah: Couldn't post without giving you a big . I hope you get everything figured out "down there!" Ouch.

Ok...quick question for y'all then I have to run...What are your thoughts on referring to your kiddo by their middle name at this point in their lives? I'm asking because all through pregnancy I really felt strongly about using Sage as Noah's first name, or at least calling him Sage. I didn't do it because it doesn't flow well with our last name. He may possibly end up having to change his last name to his father's (long story, court order...ugh) and it wouldn't matter anyway. Noah just doesn't SUIT him. It means Peace...he is NOT peaceful. He seems like such an old soul and Sage (Wisdom) is just a better fit. I always call him Noah Sage (not just Noah) anyway because I love the name Sage so much. What do you think? Do you think it would cause too much confusion at this point to start calling him Sage? I'm curious to hear your opinions. My IRL friends are all torn...some think yes, some think no. What do you think?
#192 of 307 Old 06-18-2007, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Michelle. I can't wait to get our kids together!!!! We need to make plans, dammit.

Anyway, as for the middle name thing, I totally don't think it would be inappropriate to start calling him by Sage if you feel that it suits him better now. I think that since you've been using that name consistently, it shouldn't cause him too much confusion. I mean, we all call our kids things other than their names all the time, and it doesn't seem to do irreparable harm. Brynn actually responds to Punkin Pie, Punkie, or Honey Bunny. So, do it, if that's what feels right to you!

Oh, and no - I hadn't thought of a DO at all, but that's definitely worth looking into! Thanks for the idea.

Hey Helen, how much would that be in American dollars? I'd say if it isn't too much of a strain on your pocketbook, spring for it yourself. Otherwise, I will say that before I had my miscarriage back in 2004, I did have brown spotting for several days. I actually went to the ER got scanned immediately. Just sayin.

Spughy, did that sound like what you might be experiencing too? You can PM me if you want to go into more detail.

I'm spending way too much time on the computer today. Obviously. Better go forrage for some food so I can cook dinner tonight.

#193 of 307 Old 06-18-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
...tightwad fuckwits
: : : Helen, I am so sorry that getting the care you need is such a pain in the tush, but you must know that you just gave me a new favorite expression!!!

Spughy, I'm crossing my fingers that it's an easy fix!

Amy, I'm sorry that your brush in with the ped. was, well, so frustratingly typical. The one time that we went in, when Woody was about six months, we saw the doctor's office nurse practitioner, and she was super. I think they get much more training, and practice, in patient relations than docs do, and if you're not really into alternative medicine, that might be a good in-between? But I second SoulJourney's rec for a D.O., too.

SoulJourney, I don't think it would be weird to change his name at this point, especially if he's been "Noah Sage" all along (which, I think, is really nice together!).

I have several friends who are massage therapists (there's a school in town, and lots of the graduates end up staying), and they all joke that if they'd only been the ones to heat up some rocks and throw them on people's backs, they'd be RICH! And I totally think that insurance should pay for massage! Imagine a world where preventative health measures were truly valued... I think war would end. Honestly.

Mary, we want to move, too. But we always want to move. I think we are both just not really "settled" people, even though I feel conflicted about it. There's always half of me that wants to be able to wisk away at a moment's notice and travel someone else, not necessarily chasing some intangible like "happiness" or "like-mindedness," just to see different places and experience different things. But the other half wants to watch the garden grow over many seasons and get to know the neighbors and buy produce from the same farmers at the market every week, etc. Sigh... isn't it great to be burdened with choices?

P.S. Spughy, congrats to you and DH, and yay for SAHMommyhood! I am finding this summer off with Woody delicous, and remembering that, as crappy as it sounds, summers off was one of the reasons I wanted to be a schoolteacher!!
#194 of 307 Old 06-19-2007, 04:05 AM

Hi from Michigan! I am here at my sister's house. I am not sure whether our presence is helping, or will be the final straw which pushes her completely over the edge!

I just deleted a big post, deciding it belonged more in my journal or blog than here. But suffice it to say that there is some level of family drama, of course. But overall we're having a good time. I can't believe how good a car traveler Ella is--we left at about 2:20 pm on Saturday and didn't arrive until about 10 pm. We made three stops--a quick gas station/bathroom trip a bit before Cincinnati, a 40 minute-ish McDonald's lunch and diaper change stop around Dayton, and a rest area bathroom/15 minutes on a (really cool!) rest area playground stop around Monroe, Michigan. Other than that, we were in the car for the whole time, and Ella was great! She slept a bit, but otherwise happily played with a couple of things, muched cheerios and crackers, looked out the window, and chatted away to herself. She cried maybe a few minutes, but that was it. Of course, I shouldn't say too much and superstitiously jinx myself for the return drive, lol!

I think I'd better get to bed . . .

Love to all!
#195 of 307 Old 06-19-2007, 06:00 AM

DiD- no, that post was made at 7.30 GMT (or just before I sat down and watched a programme about why I shouldn't be watching TV. I love panorama.)
Amy, 140 GBP is equivalent to 280 USD- but going by the buying power scale, it's also 280 mars bars, if that makes more sense. My mum's offering to help if we feel we need it, but I'm not so sure- I have bubbling just above my pubic bone. : It's definitely not a flutter, but it's a weird sensation and it wasn't there last week. So either I have my hearts desire and early movement, or I'm in the last days of this pregnancy- and at this point, I can handle either. I felt Skye move at the 8/9 week mark, so I figure it's theoretically possible. I'm getting conscious of the fact that if just getting a scan at 8 weeks is this difficult, then I may be looking to find an independent midwife later on, which is money again.
Kavita, Ella always sounds like such a sweetheart I'm so glad the road trip went well.
Michelle, I like Noah Sage, but Sage would be sweet too. My favourite and only uncle is always referred to by his middle name, and if this bean is a boy then he'll be named after my uncle, but called by his middle name.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#196 of 307 Old 06-19-2007, 01:34 PM

Hiya mamas!

It is a beautiful day here and I am feeling strangely bubbly and happy today. Part of that is that I did some poking around last night and the girl bits seem to be in better shape than I thought. I was even able to get my new Diva cup working, which is awesome. I guess tampons are just too scratchy. There's still some weirdness going on but I'm pretty sure now that conception would be a possibility at least .

I'm also happy because some friends of mine who I haven't seen in a while - they've been in Toronto and only recently got back - are getting married on the solstice and then having a party on Saturday so I'm very happy they're getting married and excited to see them on Saturday, especially since they're on the peninsula and since we're going up there anyway I can justify the gas and maybe stop by some farms too.

And I'm wearing my favourite purple shirt, and the coffee in the office this morning is spectacular.

And also, thanks to her current bath aversion (the only way we can get her in the tub is if one of us is in there with her, and last night Daddy volunteered) Rowan now knows how to say "penis" and she says it very clearly. DH is terrified she'll decide to run around yelling "penis" at his parents' place, and just the thought of that is making me giggle. Am I bad?

#197 of 307 Old 06-19-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
And also, thanks to her current bath aversion (the only way we can get her in the tub is if one of us is in there with her, and last night Daddy volunteered) Rowan now knows how to say "penis" and she says it very clearly. DH is terrified she'll decide to run around yelling "penis" at his parents' place, and just the thought of that is making me giggle. Am I bad?
My DH would probably die. Not even with the yelling it at the parents' house, just knowing the word at all! I'm working on him . . . but this is one area where he is not as much of a "sensitive new-age guy"! Given that he is from a country where it is still scandalous for people to kiss in the movies or in public, I think he does pretty well. (You may have heard the furor over Richard Gere being charged with indecency for kissing a female film star--I think he actually only sort of put his arm around her and kissed her on the cheek.) But still he (DH) is visibly pained when I am asking her happily, "Where's your vagina? Where's your yoni? Yes, that's right! There it is!!" I think if she said penis it would finish him off!
#198 of 307 Old 06-19-2007, 06:55 PM

I didn't know Richard Gere was charged with indecency- was that for kissing Shilpa Shetty? (aka the woman who called England on their institutionalised national racism)
Spughy, I find a mooncup far easier to insert than tampons (I still have some residual hymen left, even after three kids. Doesn't cause any hassle generally other than with tampax)

#199 of 307 Old 06-19-2007, 06:55 PM

Oh, Spughy, I'm so glad that you are having a nice day! It sounds lovely, all those little details and the upcoming trip and thank goodness that things in your lady parts are gonna be okay! And how funny about Rowan saying penis!! I didn't realize she had a hard time with the bath.

Finley is still TRAUMATIZED by it, screams worse than when he's had his blood drawn, and it's been this way since he was 10 months. At this point, we just do sponge baths and then occassionally (maybe once a week), wash his hair, which is awful, and he cries, but we go as fast as possible. I wish I knew what to do. He is generally terrified of water, and we are working on exposing him to more water...we've been to the pool and he won't go near it, but he likes watching us swim. We bought a blow up pool for the yard and he plays around it and sometimes reaches in and touches it, but won't think about getting in. Anyone else? Any ideas of how to help him further? And when he splashes himself a lot, he cries and says "wet". It's so peculiar to me that he hates it...I can't think of anything we have done to make him hate it so much, except when he was younger getting water in his face a bit when we didn't pour it perfectly. It feels like it is a fear/dislike that is just in him. Anyone else's babes have certain aversions or fears?

Oh, and Kavita, how lovely that your daughter travelled so well in the car! I hope your time with your sister is nice, and I hope it helps her too.

Helen, I hope you're able to get a scan to rest your mind (although it sounds like you're handling it amaziningly well...I'd be freaking out not seeing/hearing/knowing the heartbeat) and I hope that bubbling sensation is the first sign of movement.

I have loved the zen talk, too (from a while ago), and think about it daily...trying to let go of the need to get things done and be present. It can definitely be a challenge, but I do try. I'm very lucky to have DH around (though we have financial stress at the moment), but I couldn't function without little breathers here and there.

Amy, I couldn't watch the videos last night, but will try again tonight. I can't believe how verbal little Brynn is. How fitting, since you study language yourself!

Michelle, I love Sage. I think it's no problem to change, especially since you have been calling him Noah Sage.

HoneyTree, I feel the exact same way about wanting to move all the time, and yet also wanting to get to know a place. Sometimes I worry what is wrong with me, that I'm always wanting to move, though I hope it is not in search for more happiness or something. I truly love experiencing different places, and I do think part of me wants to find some perfect location that is a "home". New York is definitely one of them, but not the only. I fantasize about living in a rural setting one day, and also in Europe. As for LA, it's definitely not a match for my soul, in terms of home, but it is home for now, since my boys are here. It definitely feels like a temporary pit stop in this crazy land to make some progress with our careers, and then be able to move on.

My MIL is here today. She tends to drive me crazy, but I'm trying to be peaceful and loving and not let her get to me. What is it about In laws that can just be maddening??

Sorry I've been such a sporatic poster lately...we are definitely still getting set up here.

And now I'm off to get a few things accomplished while my little boy sleeps.
#200 of 307 Old 06-19-2007, 07:18 PM

Yay! DH is finally home. I feel that it is my duty to warn all of you against flying Northwest Air--ever. He was delayed on three different flights for a total of 48 hours, missing two days of work because of it. And at the last stop, in Memphis, the airport hotel told him that they get Northwest passengers laid over all the time. Ridiculous.

But, he was at a national food co-op conference, and so came home with gobs and gobs of free gifts and samples: organic chocolate, bags and bags of loose organic tea, canvas sacks, coffee mugs, yummy bath products, essential oils... ahhh! Made it almost worth not having him for the week! But I'd forgotten how damn good looking he is, and how his whole world is our little boy, and how much I love what his energy adds to our house. Sometimes a little break is nice as it reminds you what being in love is all about.

Spughy, glad the cup worked. I am getting to be better friends with my cup these days. For a while, it was all anger and frustration, but since practicing FAM and being more acquainted with my cervix, I like the cup much better.
#201 of 307 Old 06-19-2007, 08:39 PM

barcelona - I remember you posting about Finley's bath aversion a while back. Rowan's is really recent, like just in the last two weeks she's been refusing to get in the tub. We don't have any idea why - DH thinks it's a teething thing but I'm dubious. I think she might have had a bad experience one time (like a bit of soap in her eye maybe?) and didn't make a huge fuss about it at the time but somehow it stuck in her head. She did fall down in the tub when DH was away, but she didn't seem that traumatized by it at the time... I don't know. Anyway, we're dealing with it by making bathtime as fun and non-traumatic as possible for her, only washing her hair if it REALLY needs it, and having one of us in the tub as well. I just hope this is just a phase that passes.

ETA: it's definitely NOT a water aversion. She is still a huge fan of the dog's water bowl.

She has another weird aversion, though, to bugs. She reacts quite oddly to them, pointing them out in an almost agitated fashion, and if a bug flies into the car when we're driving we have to pull over and remove it because she totally freaks out. The other day I picked up her hat off the ground and there was a big furry caterpillar on it and I tried to show it to her and she wasn't going anywhere NEAR it. This is weird because neither DH nor I have any bug issues at all. I don't know where she's picking it up from.

Teresa - SO jealous of the samples! Wow that sounds fabulous! That's WAY more exciting than the computer algorithms conferences my DH goes to. . What kind of cup do you use? I have to say I am reeeally liking the Diva cup so far. Once I got the insertion figured out it's been no problem and it works great.

#202 of 307 Old 06-19-2007, 09:04 PM

Hey ladies...
Sorry this is kinda hit and run, but I've been keeping up, I promise!

Just wanted to add my 2 cents on Noah Sage being called Sage... I think it'd be lovely and I really like Sage better. My sister is Kimberly Paige, but has been called Paige since her first day on Earth. I don't think it's too late and will vow, should you decide to go for it, to call him Sage from here on!

A few of you have noted that it's so nice that Isa is sleeping in a crib now. It it would be.... if she actually were. We've tried for a few days(naps) and nights now, and she's only stayed in there once. And she fell asleep crying with me patting her. Sooooo.... should we stick it out and see if she will get used to it? Or shall we scrap the whole thing and just let her stay on the twin mattress... ideas? *Amy* did Brynn change her mind at all or did she go for it pretty well?

Oh, and I just wanted to add that in my life these things are happy:
  • I'm feeling sexy again and bought some naughty undies. I LOVE THEM.
  • I've been drinking fresh juice from my juicer, and therefore looking and feeling great.
  • Isa sleeps through the night most nights now.
  • I am developing a sense of self again FINALLY.
  • I've been painting, drawing, or some kind of craft-doing every day.
  • I think we're unofficially trying to have another baby. Did I mention that we're actually having sex again?
  • My hair has finally grown from the "I just shaved my head a few months ago" haircut into a haircut that received a compliment from a stranger. :

So yay for all of that. Hope all is well with you guys!

LO
VE
j
#203 of 307 Old 06-19-2007, 09:37 PM

[QUOTE=spiritmomma;8426286]
  • I'm feeling sexy again and bought some naughty undies. I LOVE THEM.
  • I've been drinking fresh juice from my juicer, and therefore looking and feeling great.
  • Isa sleeps through the night most nights now.
  • I am developing a sense of self again FINALLY.
  • I've been painting, drawing, or some kind of craft-doing every day.
  • I think we're unofficially trying to have another baby. Did I mention that we're actually having sex again?
  • My hair has finally grown from the "I just shaved my head a few months ago" haircut into a haircut that received a compliment from a stranger. :
[QUOTE]

Spiritmama, how wonderful! Good for you! (And I can totally reate to the hair growing out thing--my pregnancy with Woody was just as I was leaving that phase!)

Spughy, I use the Diva cup, too. For me, it was the retrieval that was the hardest, and sometimes scariest, part. It's amazing how little I understood my own anatomy for so many years. But I still use a Lunapad backup, because my cup doesn't prevent leakage.
#204 of 307 Old 06-19-2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post

Spughy, I use the Diva cup, too. For me, it was the retrieval that was the hardest, and sometimes scariest, part. It's amazing how little I understood my own anatomy for so many years. But I still use a Lunapad backup, because my cup doesn't prevent leakage.
I use a Diva cup too, but lately it hasn't been working out so well--my last cycle was early and heavier than any previous one ever, and the darn thing just leaked constantly to the point where I just gave up on it for the time being.

I second the "distance makes the heart grow fonder" concept--I've really wanted to spend some time with DH the last week or so (that being a euphemism of course) but it hasn't worked out for one reason or another. Him being asleep too early and having to get up at the crack of dawn, Ella being awake too late or waking up at weird times, and then us leaving. I actually left later for Michigan on Saturday because he had to go into work in the morning and i was hoping he would come home and we could park the child in the jumperoo in front of a signing time video for a few moments and sneak into another room . . . however, this plan was foiled because although he did arrive before I left, the jumperoo which is my only baby containing device, was not set up, the movers had taken the darn thing apart and put the pieces in different places in the garage. When I asked DH if he could put it together he informed me that he didn't know where the other pieces were and he couldn't set it up. Of course, right before I was leaving I went in the garage looking for the tray to the stroller and there were the pieces to the jumperoo not very far away! : I don't know if it was the familiarity of the drive from Cincinnati to Detroit or just the excitement of a road trip (I used to make that trip a lot after high school/in college, a much more sexy period of my life and one I realized with a shock was almost two decades ago!!) but I felt very romantic and sexy for the first five hours of the trip! It didn't do me much actual good because DH was still in Kentucky, but it was nice to have a schmoopy cell phone conversation with him on the road and feel all like a teenager in love for moment!
#205 of 307 Old 06-20-2007, 01:32 AM

Now that I'm off school for the summer, but it's been nuts.

I haven't had a chance to read up on stuff :

Sunday was Awesome! We had tickets to the Dodgers/Angels game for Father's day. We rode the metrolink train out to LA and had a great time. On the way home though we hit a snag when we got to the train station in time to catch the last train only to find it was delayed up to 2 hours...and it could come at any time. So we sat next to the tracks for an hour and a half. It was hard to be upset about waiting because the reason we were waiting was because earlier that day a train hit a car and put everything behind. There were fatalities and my heart breaks with the story. We finally got home but it was LATE.

Yesterday Jacob got really sick. I kept thinking he was going to get better. He's been croupy and sniffly for a few days but it seemed mild. It hit HARD yesterday and today we took him into the ped. She checked him out and agreed we were doing everything we could and to just keep it up but it stinks that we just have to let it be. She thinks he has allergies but can't do any testing and we can't really treat it So we just have to keep doing what we are doing. It's good to know that he's not *sick* but it's still rough hearing him croupy and sniffly.

Jacob has had a signing explosion. We have the 2 baby Signing Time videos and he now knows all the words from them as well as how to ask to watch it. He comes up and says *baby baby* signing it and then twirls his hands around as he *signs* signing time. It's amazing!!

We are packing and preparing for our trip. We are planning on leaving Friday night and I can hardly believe all I have to do before we go. We'll be gone until July 7th. I'm anxiously excited.

I have a doctor's appointment in the morning that I'm scared to death about so if you believe in prayer please keep me in your prayers. There's a small bump/lump on my breast. I thought it was just a clogged pore but since it's been there for almost 2 months now...I need to get it checked. I'm scared out of my mind. I don't even know if they will have answers for me tomorrow or if it's a thing I'll have to wait and find out.

So that's our update in a nutshell.
#206 of 307 Old 06-20-2007, 03:44 AM

kaspirant,
You will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow morning...Do keep us posted. And have a wonderful trip! (I hope you have the peace of mind of knowing it's nothing by the time you go....), and I can't wait to hang out when you return! Hugs, mama. And feel better, Jacob!

Spughy, that's funny about Rowan's bug aversion. Isn't it so interesting to see their personalities, aversions, and preferences coming out? I'm so intrigued by the whole nature vs. nurture thing, always wondering how much of it is because of something we've done or not done, or just, him.

spiritmomma, how fabulous! Sounds like there's some seriously good things going on for you, and I'm thrilled that you are feeling more in touch with yourself, identity, now. I've also recently bought some sexy underwear, and it's great! And I've been feeling sexy lately, too...maybe it's summer, feeling sun-kissed, wearing dresses, feeling feminine. And speaking of hair, I'm growing mine out, and it's in a sort of frustrating phase of in between a short and long style. For the first time this week, though, I can pull it up, (though with lots of pins), but it's still exciting to be able to do that and have that look.

oh, and spiritmomma...about the crib vs. twin mattress...is there any sort of problem with the twin mattress? If not, I'd say just stay with it, and no pressure with the crib, and maybe later she'll be ready for it/interested in it. That's my 2 cents.

Does anyone here still nurse their babes to sleep and co-sleep? Hearing so much about so many babes who sleep in their own spaces (which is great, no judgement at all!), I just wonder if anyone else, besides us, is still nursing to sleep and co-sleeping all night. One happy development for us is that Finley almost always sleeps through the night, so I'm much more rested and comfy.

Random Question for you ladies: does anyone do natural family planning? Do you recommend it/have books to rec/think it's a good idea?
I'm on the mini-pill but really want to stop putting hormones in my body. I'm not interested in an IUD...

And as for these cups, what are they? I'm still learning so much about so much. Sounds interesting. I still haven't gotten my period back, so I don't need to worry about it yet, but it might be something to look into for when it does come back.

Hope everyone's having a lovely start to the day...for now, I'm off to sleep!
#207 of 307 Old 06-20-2007, 05:57 AM

Spiritmomma, have fun!
Barcelona, we used NFP before having Skye, and we'll use it again. The one caveat I have is that if you know you want more children and you're feeling horny, it's really tempting to have an intentional whoopsie and start TTC 24 hours before ovulation....: no personal experience at all, of course.
Kavita, if your diva cup is leaking, I know people who've found that mooncups work better for heavy periods.
kaspirant, crossing fingers for you. I know you already know that boobs go weird and strange and knobbly and lumpy whilst breastfeeding, so your odds of it being nothing are pretty good.
Spughy, Skye goes through phases of bath aversion- right now, she's in the "nobody can EVER EVER have a bath NEVER without me" phase.
She's still doing good, is currently sitting typing on another computer keyboard wearing a fairy skirt and talking into an imaginary phone. I love her, she's brilliant

#208 of 307 Old 06-20-2007, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Man we are a chatty bunch these days! Brynn is off "watering" the plants with an empty watering can, so I might have a couple of minutes.

Spiritmomma, as far as the crib, she was a bit freaked out the first night, so I just picked her up every time she asked to get out and tried not to make a big deal out of it. She's totally adjusted though, and has even asked maybe 3-4 times to get into the crib when she's tired. She hasn't fallen asleep that way yet, but maybe someday she will! And that is wonderful that you are feeling so good! I still swing back and forth between being totally mortified by how fat I still feel, and just saying what the hell and not caring. But as opposed to how Barcelona's feeling, wearing skimpy summer clothes actually makes me even less comfortable with how I look. Maybe if I had some clothes that actually FIT me properly or were fun to wear, I'd feel differently. *sigh* Oh well.

Barcelona, yes, we totally nurse to sleep still. Besides being in the carseat, that's pretty much the only way I can get Brynn to fall asleep. I've been gently trying to get her to fall asleep on her own in the crib, but no so much luck there. It sure would be nice if she would go to sleep ANY other way, though.

Oh, and Barcelona, if you are thinking of doing NFP, you really should read Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It is SO AMAZING. I learned more about my body in one book than I ever did from school or any of my doctors. I think every woman should read it!!

Spughy, your post made me smile. You are so cute. : You must be euphoric about being able to leave your job in a few weeks! I'm glad you had such a nice day yesterday.

Alicia, I am thinking of you this morning and hope you get an All Clear from the doctor ASAP. I know that must be really scary. Also thinking of Jacob and hoping he's feeling well.

So...I'm pretty PMS-y the past couple of days and am having a hard time not being annoyed by everything. Well mostly with mainstream parenting, I guess. I picked up this copy of a new magazine called Toddler at the doctor's office the other day, and it's your usual BS. And everywhere I go, people are "GOOD JOB"ing their kids for inhaling and exhaling, and blinking their eyes. I want to carry copies of Unconditional Parenting around with me to give out to people. If I were a millionaire, I probably would. Also, Brynn's been picking up on everyone saying it everywhere, so she's been saying it to herself when she does something note-worthy, like walking up the stairs by herself. It's really bugging me!!!! She's really repeating a lot of commonly-used phrases, and has been saying, "Isn't it cool?", which I don't even know where she got that. And the one that really annoys me is something she picked up from a girl we interviewed to babysit (but didn't hire): "No WAY!" This girl spent two hours with us a few weeks ago, and probably said it 20 times, so of course Brynn now says it and then starts laughing and says, "That's what Crystal says!" Gah.

OK, she's having a total meltdown right now because I'm not paying attention to her so I guess I'd better go.

#209 of 307 Old 06-20-2007, 11:18 AM

Amy, it could be worse. She could be saying "innit" at the end of every sentence, like someone I know.
Bean has a heartbeat I still hate my local hospital, even the private wing...

#210 of 307 Old 06-20-2007, 11:39 AM

Spughy - having another kid actually fixed a bunch of my vaginal issues. I had deep labial tears on both sides though so I don't know how that compares. After having Joseph I was talking about it with dh and he agreed that after I had A things were a mess, but after Joseph not a problem. I'm probably over simplifying it, but I attribute most of the difference to not have an epidural with Joseph. Not being able to feel what's going on can't be helpful! I've probably bugged more then a few pg ladies by telling them my epidural experience.

barcelona - I think Joseph has fallen asleep on his own a few times, but it's rare. Our normal is to lay down in bed and watch the history channel until he falls asleep. He does have a toddler bed at the foot of our bed that he usually gets moved to after he is asleep. He has never once spent the entire night there, but he seems to enjoy having his own space to stretch out in. He also likes to run in there and play with his toys on his bed when sister is getting in his face too much.

As for me I'm dealing with some insane jealousy of a friend's dd as she just found out she is pg. It's actually a friend of dh's and the dd is only a year or so younger then me, but gah the green eyed monster is here for a visit. Certainly does not help that I am still weak getting over a m/c that I knew from the time I knew I was pg wasn't going to make it. That makes it easier for me emotionally, but man I must be getting old or something!

I'm also thinking about going to the beach in the morning to watch the sun rise over the Atlantic for the solstice. Problem with that is me actually managing to get my butt out of bed 20 minute to a half hour before we needed to get to the beach. Maybe that is part of the reason I like the winter solstice better. I can sleep in much later and still make the sun rise

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page