June is Blooming, Nov '05 Mamas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 307 Old 06-01-2007, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Mamas!! Happy June!! My birthday is in 11 days! I'm not sure if I'm excited about it, or dreading it. I know a lot of other mamas in our DDC have June birthdays too, but I don't remember all of them.

Hey could y'all take a look at this thread and let me know if you have any thoughts? My friend is really having some BF issues right now.

And QoC, I forgot to mention this in my last post, but WOW!!! I can't believe y'all went on vacay, moved, had a b-day party, and got your family pics done. You are SUPERFAMILY! I hope you didn't wear yourselves out. Congrats on your new home and I hope you love being back!!!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#2 of 307 Old 06-01-2007, 01:53 PM

Look at me, posting on the FIRST page!

Thanks, Amy - we did wear ourselves out, but its easier to recover with family around to help out.

Not much more to say at the moment, just subbing...

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#3 of 307 Old 06-01-2007, 02:25 PM

Oooh, happy birthday Amy!
Life here is manic- I hate half term week. Mum has gone back to Durham, the boys have trashed the house, the dog ate this month's baking which means I have nothing left to put in lunchboxes, and Skye is getting more and more toddlerish by the second. She forgot to nap yesterday, went to bed at 5.30, got up at 6am, was back in bed by 9 and slept through until noon. Is this teeth, or ????? I can't wait until Monday.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#4 of 307 Old 06-01-2007, 03:58 PM

Happy June, everyone!

Teresa, that photo of Woody is exactly what Neela looked like sleeping. Too cute!

I have a June birthday, too- tomorrow. My DH had done an excellent job of keeping my birthday gift a secret (we have a tradition of me finding gifts/receipts or other "clues") until yesterday when Neela brought me a bag- with my birthday present in it She was rummaging through his dresser drawers and found something new and interesting to show me. So I got my beautiful birthday dress a couple of days early. I'm making yummy vegan carrot cake right now as my birthday gift to myself. Neela has been helping, so we have sticky mess all over the kitchen.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#5 of 307 Old 06-01-2007, 04:50 PM

My birthday is in 12 days, but I'll only be 26 so I'm not really dreading it.

I think Suriya has the measles. She had a 103 degree temp for 2 days, it went away and then she broke out in spots all over her face and head and neck, and now it's gone to her tummy and back and legs. She's really fussy, sleepy but won't stay asleep, crying every time I move or breathe wrong or if someone turns on a light or makes any sort of noise. I'm not sure what to do, if anything. She doesn't have a fever anymore but she seems very uncomfortable.
#6 of 307 Old 06-01-2007, 09:07 PM

Hey Ladies!
Sorry I've been MIA. We haven't been home much. And so I haven't had a computer handy to check in. I've been keeping up with posts though....

QoC: OMG, you guys have been a busy fam! Love the pics!

Helen: Congrats and happy vibes for a HH9!

DiD: Job vibes to your hubby! I hope he gets it! And BTW, yes, you are nuts for having baby lust again so soon! But I love you for it... it's inspiring and helps me remember how easy I have it with just one other person to care for (well, 2 if you count DH!)

Fern: Have fun! You've inspired me to take an impromptu day hike in southern Indiana tomorrow. We'll leave first thing in the morning.... can't wait to let Isa wander in the forest. We're hitting the spot where DH and I got married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Our good news: I found a great preschool for Brynn starting in the Fall!!!!
Speaking of which, I have a confession.
Amy, I've been on the same train. I've found a wonderful Parent's Day Out program at a local Unitarian Church. It runs on a school schedule though, and they don't start again until September. It's just as well, though, because now that I've found a wonderful place for her to be, I'm not ready.
And, though we've not put it together yet, I'm pretty sure we think a crib (convertible, like yours) is the way to go for Isa too. She always makes a big fuss over them at baby stores and signs bed and reaches up. I have asked her several times if she wants a bed like that and she is always so enthusiastic! So weird! So much for my cage-free baby!
She does roll off her mattress a lot and seems to really want some boundaries for her sleeping space. : I don't get it, but I do understand that that is definitely what she is asking me for.

In other news, she's finally talking! Every day new words. Not counting like I did with the signs. I'm just sitting back and watching her unfold at her own pace. She's such a gem! My favorite story of a verbal surprise is this: I had a lit a small green birthday candle to light our (ancient) oven and she signed green and said, "GEEN!" So I reply, "Yes, this candle is green." Then, she signs like and says clear as day, "I like geen!" I'm so proud! Her first sentence!
#7 of 307 Old 06-01-2007, 09:12 PM

Happy birthday to all of you June mamas!

DiD- poor Suriya! Are any of the rest of you sick?

Helen- i think you should let the hospital know the real you - hippie, placenta-lovin' you

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#8 of 307 Old 06-02-2007, 02:44 AM

DiD, can you take a picture of the spots? That sounds more like chicken pox than measles to me- does she have cold symptoms as well?
Whichever, get some calamine lotion and paint it on and try oatmeal baths.

Skye loves her cot and having her own space. When she comes into bed for the last hours of the night/ first hours for the morning, she sleeps far better than she used to- but when she wants to go to bed she goes and gets her grobag to tell us. It's so sweet. It's making me realise that she hasn't really missed out on anything by not signing- she uses objects of reference instead to tell us what she wants.
The other big obsession at the moment is drawing, on anything and everything. It's adorable. We had a big fight yesterday because Alex was doing an oil pastel drawing and we wouldn't let her join in- so she coloured in a whole newspaper instead- every single page. It took her three hours (with breaks) but she was determined that this would be done

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#9 of 307 Old 06-02-2007, 11:55 PM

Helen: I love that she colored a whole newspaper! She's very determined!
#10 of 307 Old 06-02-2007, 11:57 PM

Helen, I joke with my signing-baby friends about that same thing--See? He DOES sign. He holds his arms up to be picked up, he opens the fridge and points to what he wants me to make him, he gets our going-for-walks carrier when he wants to go for a walk, he squeezes my boob when it's time to nurse...

Amy, Did, and Mel, and the not-yet-spoken-up June birthday mamas, happy birthdays! It's so nice to celebrate a birthday with a youngin'. It's yet another wonderful reason to be glad you're here on earth! (Forgive me, I am having a particularly cheery day--my mom came to visit and helped me clean four of the six rooms in my house. The smell of lemon oil and vinegar and the sight of the floor is making me ridiculously happy.)

Woody tried raspberries for the very first time today. He looked at me all wide-eyed and said so seriously, "MMMMMMMMM." Indeed.
#11 of 307 Old 06-03-2007, 12:00 AM

Helen, the spots look exactly like the measles/rubella spots, and nothing like the chicken pox.
She has a mild cough/chest congestion but no other cold-like symptoms. She's very irritable and is sleeping a lot. She seems to be over the worst of it though, the spots are less today than they were yesterday.
#12 of 307 Old 06-03-2007, 04:13 AM

DiD.

#13 of 307 Old 06-03-2007, 09:53 AM

DiD: I hope Suriya is feeling better soon...

The woods was awesome yesterday! Isa is quite the little hiker. She insisted on walking parts of the trail, so we took a nice SLOW hike around the wilderness area. I made sure she knew the rules were: Stay behind Papa and in front of Mama; and Stay on the path. She did well and seemed to really enjoy the forest. She climbed over logs and fallen trees and even learned to stop tripping over the roots. Around mile 7, though, she was ready to be out of the carrier, but we had 5 more miles to go. After she fell asleep on Papa's back, the hiking went smoothly again. All in all, a really fun day. We even hiked to the spot where Joshua and I got married.: It was a nice day filled with old memories and things that will become memories later. *sigh* I am sore, though, and tired.
#14 of 307 Old 06-03-2007, 02:16 PM

Hello everyone! I've been off the computer for about a week, Rowan and I had a challenging week as Rowan managed to contract DH's cold just as he left for Banff and then I got it a few days later. So we had a week together of sniffles and interrupted sleep, but it was ok, we enjoyed the time together (at least, I enjoyed it, I can only surmise that Rowan enjoyed it because she was pretty cheerful the whole time and only asked for Dada once). I had to go through the nightweaning routine for real this time - since I was sleeping with her and she expects booby-to-sleep from me, I had to tell her that the boobies were sleeping. She took it pretty well, cried for about five seconds (literally) a couple of times then just flopped around on her own until she fell back asleep. Of course, I still slept poorly for the whole week because she's a pretty restless sleeper and I got kicked and wiggled on, but we survived. And of course, the first night DH was back she slept the entire night through in her crib. :

But we had a good week, and it certainly beat being at work. I was supposed to go in Friday but I felt really crappy so I took the day off and spent it on the couch watching tv and reading while DH took Rowan to his parents' house.

It's been really warm here and Rowan got to play in the neighbour's wading pool - looooved it. Nothing cuter than a naked baby in a wading pool.

DiD - sorry about Suriya. Poor little thing.

Teresa & Helen - Same here - we never taught Rowan to sign but she picked up the sign for "more" from the neighbours and made up her own signs for "hot", "boobie" and a few other things. I've never had a problem understanding her!

Fern - are you coming to Victoria? Are you already here? Give me a call!!!

Amy - that's cool about the crib. I don't think it's un-AP at all, if that's where Brynn wants to sleep. Isn't sleep wonderful?

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#15 of 307 Old 06-03-2007, 11:47 PM

Spiritmomma, your hike sounded lovely!

We went for a long walk tonight, too. We moved downtown a few months ago, and now we're about three-quarters of a mile from our favorite coffee shop. So we walked there, walked around the little lake it sits beside, and walked back. It was so nice because it finally rained yesterday and today after three months of drought, so it's a little cool and a little breezy and a little misty. And the smell of jasmine is still barely in the air, and some people had been cooking out, and the June bugs were buzzing around... it was just such an enjoyabe evening stroll.
#16 of 307 Old 06-04-2007, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Kavita's here! Yay! It's going to take me a while to call her by her name IRL instead of calling her Kavita.

: Happy Birthday on Saturday, Mel!!! Did you party it up??! :

Hi Spughy! Glad you're back, but sorry you had a crappy sick week. :

It's nice that everyone is getting out and hiking and enjoying the outdoors. We hiked on Saturday too and wore ourselves out. It was great!

Helen, any BFP results yet?

DiD, Poor punkin Suriya!! That must be really hard. I hope she's feeling better. When is DH's next interview? (PS: are our birthdays one day apart? Mine's the 12th.)

Spiritmomma, I've been having the same feelings. Am I ready to let her go?? I think it might be harder for me than her, at least the first couple of weeks!!

Our 3rd wedding anniversary is tomorrow! I am not sure what we are going to do; depends on if we can find a sitter or not. Wish us luck - I sure would love to have a nice peaceful dinner with DH. For once!!

#17 of 307 Old 06-04-2007, 11:02 AM

Amy, hadn't you heard?
I'm due the same day as Strawberryfields and Honeytree (better known as BeTheEarth) How cool is that? 2/2, in case you were wondering- but my pesky doctor insists I have to go by LMP. Makes me 3 days further along Right now I'm feeling beautifully, happily nauseous. Ain't love grand?

Happy anniversary for tomorrow!

#18 of 307 Old 06-04-2007, 01:15 PM

Oh, congratulations, Helen!!! I'm so glad you're feeling sick. It's a good sign! Yay sickies!!! err....

I'm back at work now. Bleh. But DH is actually DOING job search things today so hopefully it won't be too long now.

I went shopping yesterday and bought, um, rather a lot of summer clothes. I didn't have any that really fit me so I hit MEC and a local hemp clothing store and got some really nice stuff. That fits me as I am now, not me "when I lose 20 lbs". So I got 3 pairs of capris, a skirt, 2 shirts and a nice big floppy hat because I got my hair cut and subsequently badly sunburned the back of my neck. Because I forgot it was there. Oops. (why is there no "duh" smilie?)

I have a child behavioural issue for you guys - Rowan has started doing this really, really annoying thing where she pinches me and when I say "please don't pinch mummy, love" she kisses it better. Now, I'm all for lots of kisses, but the pinching I could really do without. It's not just for me either, she does it on Grandma and DH too. For the past week or more, I've tried and tried to get her to understand that pinching hurts - I even (please forgive me) tried pinching her, to make her understand - but I don't think I could pinch her hard enough to actually hurt and she just looked confused. I KNOW that's not a good thing to do. : Anyway, I am at a loss over this. Sometimes the pinches are just gentle little tweaks and sometimes they are hard enough to bruise me. I don't feel right about just putting up with it. Last night when she was nursing down for the evening she was getting pinchy and I told her that if she kept pinching me we wouldn't have any more boobies and she'd have to put herself to sleep in her crib. So when she pinched me again I took her into the bedroom and laid her down in her crib and started rubbing her back and talking softly to her - no dice. She was up and screaming in a few seconds. I talked to her a bit more about how mummy didn't want to nurse if she was going to get pinched and then took her back to the couch and nursed some more and she didn't pinch me again. So that worked, but it did take some screaming and, frankly, a sort of punishment, and I'd really rather avoid that.

I think the reason she's doing it is so she has an "owie" to kiss better. She's very into that, kissing the cracked skin on my thumb, the scab on her knee, everything. And I do thank her for kissing me after she pinches - I think I should stop acknowledging the post-pinching kisses maybe? It's quite frustrating. Do any of you wise mamas have any ideas here? Ignore it, it's a phase, it'll pass?

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#19 of 307 Old 06-04-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
DiD, Poor punkin Suriya!! That must be really hard. I hope she's feeling better. When is DH's next interview? (PS: are our birthdays one day apart? Mine's the 12th.)
She seems to be better today, the spots went away completely away yesterday but she still is kind of cranky and her cough is still lingering.

We had the birthday talk last year. Yes, our birthdays are one day apart!!!!

Jim had his second interview on Friday. Still no news but we didn't expect to hear anything over the weekend.

:
#20 of 307 Old 06-04-2007, 01:42 PM

Spughy, I'd try talking straight: love the kisses, hate the pinches. I'd also try and interrupt the cycle so that she can't kiss better immediately after she pinches and you can create a teaching opportunity- ow, that hurts.

#21 of 307 Old 06-04-2007, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Helen said I'd better my karma if I came & got caught up with our nov05 ddc thread.

spughy, what I would personally do is sternly say "Ow, don't pinch mama!" & not offer or respond to the post-pinching kisses. Xeowyn likes to try to scrape my moles off with his little razor nails. OMG that hurts! He's been doing it for months & months. I sternly say "Ow, don't scratch mama!" & push his hand away. Sometimes he stops for the rest of the day or so, sometimes not. Sigh. I remind myself that it's a phase. Sometimes he's so obsessed & I'm so fed up that I breastfeed him with my left arm held way up so he can't reach the stupid mole on the my arm! His favorite time to try to scrape me to pieces is while bfeeding.

My cousin's 15 mo old loves to dig his scrapey nails deep into her arm pit while he's bfeeding!

Oh the joys of the abuse we get from our beloved children.

Xeowyn has had an explosion of new words lately! It's been so fun, & soooooo cute. He really wasn't saying a whole lot of words before, & never 2 word sentences. All of the sudden he's saying new words almost every day, & started saying "all gone!", his 1st 2 words put together. He's a major copy cat & will repeat the last word of any sentence he overhears which is so funny. I'll say "How's it going?" to my other kids & he'll pipe up & say "GOING!" And my older kids entertain themselves by trying to get him to say things like "Duck butt" & "mama's booty". It has been so cute & fun.

He's also being aware of when he's about to pee, or right afterwards & will grab his diaper & say "pee pee!". So we're going to experiment with a potty chair soon.

The weather's been hottie hot, so he's been enjoying running around naked in the backyard, playing with dirt clods & other fun toddler games. My DH was worried that the chickens would mistake his penis for a worm so asked that I diaper him when the chickens are out.

I'm 11 weeks along today & feeling much better than I did a month ago, but still far from normal. Food still grosses me out & I'm tired but not sleeping well. But I am still breastfeeding with no problems ( : : ) & I have a belly bump!!

My exciting plans for today are to clean stuff. That's really about it.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#22 of 307 Old 06-04-2007, 02:53 PM

Hey Zjande, do you let your kids go barefoot in the yard with chicken poop around? I'm undecided as to whether it's actually a health hazard or just yucky. (I'm ok with just yucky )

Thanks for the advice. I've talked it over with DH and we're going to keep discouraging the pinches ("ow that hurts mummy/dada/grandma. Please stop pinching") and completely ignore the make-up kisses.

Oh and I know what you mean about the moles. Rowan LOOOVES moles. She points to them and says "mole! mole!" She has only one - on her leg - and she is very proud of it. Fortunately, she doesn't try to pick mine off (OOOWWW!!)

#23 of 307 Old 06-04-2007, 03:02 PM

Well *I* always let him go barefoot but DH doesn't. Truthfully, I don't worry about it. I figure, people have been living with chickens for a zillion years, Xeowyn doesn't lick his feet, lol, & we always wash our hands & feet the moment we step inside. I rarely wear shoes myself. SHOES are yucky!! Plus, backyard flocks are rarely unhealthy, it's the factory farms that are filthy & neglected & spread diseases such as avian flu & then make it all worse by giving all the animals antibiotics with every meal so the bacteria become ever more immune & it's a vicious cycle & I HATE the huge inhumane corporations & how they are ruining our world!!!

Ah, vent over.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#24 of 307 Old 06-04-2007, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Man Aubrey, you sure have some awesome links on your blog. I want to sit and read all of them! But I think I will take a nap.

We found a sitter for tomorrow night!! YAY!! So this will be like our second date since Brynn's birth. Yippee!

#25 of 307 Old 06-04-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Man Aubrey, you sure have some awesome links on your blog. I want to sit and read all of them! But I think I will take a nap.

We found a sitter for tomorrow night!! YAY!! So this will be like our second date since Brynn's birth. Yippee!
Thanks, Amy! You know what's totally depressing, I have plans to add a bunch more links I love, & had been amassing some awesome links regarding plastics, Teflon, food labeled "organic" & "free-range" & what the *really* means, etc. on my computer's bookmarks list. Then some bizarre thing happened (we still can't figure out what) & one day the entire bookmarks list had been deleted! I wanted to cry! Between my frustration over that & my pregnancy-induced introversion, I haven't been working on my blog lately. But I'll get back to it eventually. I'm so glad you even glanced at my links, thanks!

Enjoy your Hot Date.

There Helen, 3 posts already this morning! Do I get my karma points now? Heehee.

#26 of 307 Old 06-04-2007, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Amy, hadn't you heard?
I'm due the same day as Strawberryfields and Honeytree (better known as BeTheEarth) How cool is that? 2/2, in case you were wondering- but my pesky doctor insists I have to go by LMP. Makes me 3 days further along Right now I'm feeling beautifully, happily nauseous.
Well, last I remember you were saying you were like 31 days, and you still hadn't seen the midwife. So I wasn't sure where you were exactly. But Yay! That's gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#27 of 307 Old 06-04-2007, 04:17 PM

#28 of 307 Old 06-04-2007, 04:53 PM

I still haven't seen the midwife. I've seen my GP, who laughed when I asked if she wanted to see the test, is ignoring my beautiful spiky chart and insisting on using LMP (she's bloody lucky this is an abnormal cycle for me and I ovulated early. 9 weeks isn't that uncommon, and then where would she be?) has referred me to the midwives for care, the NHS for free prescriptions and the hospital of my choice for scans. (Oxford let kids in. Swindon don't.) She's also seeing me in a couple of weeks time to talk about whether I want an early scan or not, though that would be at Swindon. So yeah, it was a fairly productive day.

Zjande, you may now have your karmic points back, along with your appetite Go eat something yummy, and enjoy.
I need new recipes, btw. I'm having major aversions to garlic, tomatoes and chocolate and everything I cook has one of the three in it What am I going to DO????????

#29 of 307 Old 06-04-2007, 05:01 PM

Helen I would starve if I couldn't eat tomatoes or garlic. They're in everything I make! Good luck!
#30 of 307 Old 06-04-2007, 05:55 PM

I survived my first trimester with Neela on toast with peanut butter and nectarines sliced on top.

I've been skimming through your links, too, Aubrey. And following the plastic-free blog ever since.

I made a bunch of cute simple felt dolls at Christmas, then forgot about them for a while. This week dh and I have started working on a menagerie of cute felt animals- I finished the octopus last night, and he's making an elephant right now. We went to the fabric store today and bought assorted buttons and trimmings to make other little animals. Fun, fun!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page