May 06 Mamas Welcome to Week 2 in Toddlerland - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 110 Old 06-16-2007, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas. Thank you again for all the support. I really need it right now. I am hanging in there & just trying to focus on what's important.

We have a nice day planned today. I am going to the farmer's markey w/dd5 & LO to get the rest of my organic vegetable plants, and whatever else tempts me! Then dd5 has a friend coming over to play - she is soooo excited! It is her first schoolfriend playdate. While this happens, dh is taking ds to a birthday party of one of his school friends. So it's going to be girly-land here & wild boy world there. (I definately have the easier job.)

Erika congratulations on becoming a great auntie!!! And I hope things settle down for you soon. I bet your dh probably is just really anxious about the surgery, and is just handling it by withdrawing into himself. The whole, men can't show fear thing.

Hevyne, I have noticed that about lurkers too. I don't really get why people would be interested in this thread, but then again we are a pretty fascinating group!

Regarding books, I have always been an avid reader. Trying to look back, I couldn't remember any of my favorite childhood books though. But then each time someone posted I'd think, "Oh yeah, I LOVED that book!" My kids really enjoy reading too. I am so happy to see that.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 110 Old 06-16-2007, 09:28 AM

Good morning! I have my first triathlon this morning, so I'm up way too early, a bundle of nervous energy!

Max ~ I can understand why you're so anxious about the diagnosis. I truly hope you don't need a hysterectomy.

Erika ~ congrats on being a great aunt !

My favorite book as a kid was anything from the Little House on the Prarie series. My sister and I would spend hours pretending we were Laura and Mary living on the frontier! I also loved Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary.

Off to my race ~ YIPES!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#93 of 110 Old 06-16-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevyne View Post
You think that's bad.....I am 30 and I am a Grandmother My lo and grandchild are only 3 months apart How funny is that
Really? How? My family has lots of young grandmothers too--my mom's mom was 36 when I was born, my mom was 43 when my nephew was born, my aunt was in her 30s when her first granddaughter was born. I'm the freak of the family for not having any kids before 20!

Max, going to the farmer's market sounds like a great idea. I would love to go to ours today, but I know dh will protest--he'll say we don't have time because we have to get the house ready for his mom and sister who are coming tomorrow and there isn't much there to buy this early in the season anyway. Whatever.

Last night was the 8th grade graduation at my school and Phoebe had so much fun. A few of us with little kids sat on the floor off to the side and the kids played so well together. It made me so happy to watch them. And a little sad that one of them (the principal's daughter) is moving away in a week. They would have grown up as friends if they were staying here.

Time to start cleaning!
#94 of 110 Old 06-16-2007, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
Really? How? My family has lots of young grandmothers too--my mom's mom was 36 when I was born, my mom was 43 when my nephew was born, my aunt was in her 30s when her first granddaughter was born. I'm the freak of the family for not having any kids before 20!
B/C dh is 16 years older and has a son who is 28 and he just had a baby. He didn't even know about until the mom called him up in labor and said he was going to be a dad (they had broken up and live in two different states)
#95 of 110 Old 06-16-2007, 12:31 PM

Hi everyone!

Wow Hevyne, that's crazy! I can't believe you're a grandmother! I thought it was bad when my Grandmother was a grandmother, then adopted another baby! So my generation ranges from early 40's to 5 years old!

(now I'm t1h!)

Erika- I'm sorry that you're having a rough time! btw Clara has yelled while nursing too! It is pretty funny! DH thinks it's because of resonance/vibrations they think it feels weird! She also will yell into balloons and buckets!

ecoteat- glad you had a great graduation!

JayGee I could never do a triathalon! We moved our classroom to the third floor and that last flight of stairs this week was killer!

Mia & Marylizah-I also loved Anne of Green Gables!
Other books I really liked, Bearnstein Bears, Babysitter's Club, Judy Blume, and health books.

Max- I hope you enjoy your day! It sounds like you need a good day!

Hi to everyone else! Shabazin, Shendaru, Panthera, NYC Veg, Mamacatsbaby, BambooMama, Holisticmama (I hope I didn't forget anyone!)

lurkers? That's so weird! Cool to I guess! I just thought we were super chatty!

I'm so excited my Mom's coming today! That also means that DH will be leaving for Italy in a week. I HATE IT when he leaves. We have spent very little time apart in our 5 years of marriage, I'm just a nervous wreck when he's over there! I guess I need to hurry up and get over it, because if this opera thing really works out, he'll travel a lot. It seems like today Clara's favorite toy is a bag of beans! Anyone else have funny unusual things their baby likes to play with? She's growing up soo fast! It really seems like her talking/understanding is just skyrocketing! Every day I'm amazed at what she understands or can say! Well, I have to go pour my laundry soap into containers, and finish straightening up before we go get her! The best part is that we are celebrating my birthday (11th) and her birthday (yesterday) tonight with cake and chinese! YEA!

Hope you all have a great day!

Mama to Clara 5/2/06, & Anna 11/4/08 and wife to Dan 6/8/02
#96 of 110 Old 06-16-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
B/C dh is 16 years older and has a son who is 28 and he just had a baby. He didn't even know about until the mom called him up in labor and said he was going to be a dad (they had broken up and live in two different states)
Wow, what a surprise that must have been! Is your stepson involved with his ex and baby?

I thought of some more books I loved as a kid: The Sweet Valley Twins series and the choose-your-own-adventure books. I got my students into choose-your-own books for a while, which was fun for me, but their interest petered out after a while.

Kathryn, we cross posted. I read this:
Quote:
we are celebrating my birthday (11th)
and went: " she's not turning 11... maybe she meant 31? But that wouldn't be 31th... OH! Her birthday was JUNE 11th! " Anyway, :
#97 of 110 Old 06-16-2007, 04:20 PM

I am a grandma too my step son has 2 children and one on the way. I have a grandaughter who turned 12 this summer-I am 33. Thats what we get for marrying older men My stepson thinks it is funny to say "this is my mom" and then offer no explanation-people either think I am really looking good for my age or something is really wierd with my family.

Max~~I hope you get the best possible news. Get a few opinions-some dr.s have more options to offer than others.

ecoteat--I read the sweet valey twins books too-and my sister and I loved those choose your own adventure books. I also read a lot of those scary books when I was 10-12--probably not a good idea one of them scared me off rag dolls for life~~creepy stuff.

people are probably lurking here wondering why we talk so much!

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#98 of 110 Old 06-16-2007, 05:18 PM

Well, I'm back again today--Phoebe and I are on Nap Attempt #3. #1 resulted in an hour nap on my lap, #2 she made it clear she was just hungry, not tired, despite all those big yawns, and now she's asleep on my lap again and dh is annoyed that I can't get her off of me.

I had no idea we had multiple grandmas here! I guess my MIL is only about 12 years older than her stepduaghter, but the stepkids don't have any kids, so Phoebe is her only grandchild.

I know this has come up here and there, but for those of you who are TTA, what kind of BC do you use? I was on the pill for many years, went off the year we wanted to TTC, started NFP to avoid and loved it, then used NFP to TTC for 3 months. Now we use condoms, which is ok, but I don't see that as a long term solution. I don't want to use the pill again, IUDs creep me out, we haven't really talked seriously about a vasectomy (but we are pretty sure we're sticking with a family of 3, so that's an option), I don't have a cycle to chart for NFP... I'm due for an annual and a pap, so I'll ask about it then.
#99 of 110 Old 06-16-2007, 05:33 PM

Hi mamas, have a few minutes to try and catch up. DH is mowing the lawn, Alayna is sleeping (going on 3 hours now!!!) and the girls and I just finished up some scrapbooking. When Alayna wakes up we're going to take the girls to a new splash pad in town, beautiful day for it! Although, looking at my house, I *should* have done some cleaning/laundry, but I don't care.

Any big Father's Day plans? I'll have the girls make DH breakfast in bed. They made him a picture frame out of popsicle sticks, and I took a pic of them and put it in there. It's so cute. All the daycare kids made one. In the afternoon we'll go to the inlaws for supper. Wish we could just have a quiet day at home.

It's been a very stressful week with my daycare baby. Monday he screamed all day, Tuesday I called his mom to pick him up, as I couldn't do anything to calm him down. I think he's just trying to adjust to the noise level here, poor buddy. He has a nasty cold too, and so does Alayna, as well as getting more teeth in, so she's been super clingy too. Plus DH was gone Monday thru Wednesday. Tuesday night I broke down, I was exhausted. But, Thursday and Friday he was much better, so I Am PRAYING next week goes better.

Alayna has been exposed to the chicken pox, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she get's them! One of my co-leaders with LLL brought her exposed kids to our leader's meeting. So now we're all hoping they get it.

As far as books go, my faves were: All the Nancy Drew books, Sweet Valley High series, Judy Blume, Beverly Clearly, Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, and any biography books, I read alot of old president ones.

Well, Happy Father's Day to all our dads, Alayna is awake now!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#100 of 110 Old 06-16-2007, 06:18 PM

Sydnee is it time for pox parties??? I was thinking that was something for them to get when they're a bit older, like 2-3. Gotta go back to the vax forum and read up! I think I've seen threads in my local tribe for pox parties but I never paid any attention to them b/c I thought she was a bit young.

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#101 of 110 Old 06-16-2007, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

I loved Sweet Valley Twins and Sweet Valley High!!!! Jess and what was the other ones name? The quiet one...we always forget the quiet ones..

Jaygee, how did the race go?

My stepson sees his son every weekend but they are having a lot of issues between themselves. He wants her to get motivated and finish her college degree since she dropped out to have Gabriel, but she doesn't want to do that or work. She also stopped bf'ing at 3 weeks and that upset him too. She goes out partying a lot w/ her friends (she is 24) and he just wants her to have something going in her life besides the baby. I can agree up to a point but I stay at home w/ the kids too so I can't really say much. I just give him an ear to vent to and that is the best I can do right now.
#102 of 110 Old 06-16-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I loved Sweet Valley Twins and Sweet Valley High!!!! Jess and what was the other ones name? The quiet one...we always forget the quiet ones..
It took me a few minutes to remember, but it's Elizabeth.

Chicken pox: Wow, I haven't given this a thought yet! I was 7 when I got it and I passed it on to my sister, who was about 9 months old. My mom has always said it was SO much easier to take care of her than me when we were both infected! And my sister has no memory of it at all. I'm the one with scars from scratching too much! And I had to miss Girl Scout Camp. I probably lounged around and read Sweet Valley Twins books that week.
#103 of 110 Old 06-17-2007, 12:04 AM

Emma got the chicken pox when she was 10 months old, and it was sooo easy. She wasn't miserable, she didn't really know how to scratch, therefore she doesn't have any scars. I would rather Alayna get it at this age then any older. But, that's just me.

#104 of 110 Old 06-17-2007, 02:38 AM

Hi all,
My dd was born in May 16, 06. She turned 13 months today and she doesn't look like a toddler to me yet...
My daughter's teeth (lateral incisors) are not coming in pairs so I'm curious how many of your dc is teething this way. She got the central ones early on and one top and bottom lateral came out last month but the other side lateral incisor is not coming out yet. She is miserable on and off and the gum looks swollen...
Also I'm curious how long are you all going to wait until TTC next one (if you want more kids)? I'm nursing and don't have period yet... I don't know how the nursing would work if I get pregnant before weaning?
Nice to meet you all,
Kim

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#105 of 110 Old 06-17-2007, 02:41 AM

Chatty, chatty mamas!
I'm just popping in to say hi, wow, I was just invited to a chicken pox party and thought it was too early, but from what it sounds like, we should've gone.

Kristina- how'd your race go? You're my physical fitness hero!!!

Kathryn, yay for your mom coming to visit! and for missing your DH when he gets going off to Italy, and happy belated birthday!

Regarding Father's Day, DH gets a card and to go to the golf range and swing at golf balls for a couple of hours. He's been super great about taking care of Seth and Selah during these ridiculously long graduations and then at the party for my sisters and brother-in-law today when I had to help out. He's deserving of hours away! I'll probably take the LO's over to hang out at my parents and take my dad his Father's Day gifts. Talk to you tomorrow mamas!
#106 of 110 Old 06-17-2007, 10:08 AM

Re birth control: We just use condoms, I haven't gotten around to charting again! Not the best solution, but it's the only one we can do for right now, other options are weird to me or we can't afford! (not that we are DTD that much anyway!)

I also LOVED Little House on the Prarie!

chicken pox-would our LO even get it now? I feel like Clara is nursing enough that she may not even get it? Am I mistaken?

Well off to get ready for church! Y'all have a great day!

Mama to Clara 5/2/06, & Anna 11/4/08 and wife to Dan 6/8/02
#107 of 110 Old 06-17-2007, 03:02 PM

Prayers/thought needed. My close friend Jona just called to tell me that her 12 year old nephew died yesterday from an asthma attack. I am absolutely sick about this. Their whole family was at their parents cabin, and he woke up and couldn't breathe. He died shortly thereafter. Will you please send some prayers their way? what a horrible way to remember Father's Day weekend.

#108 of 110 Old 06-17-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnee View Post
Prayers/thought needed. My close friend Jona just called to tell me that her 12 year old nephew died yesterday from an asthma attack. I am absolutely sick about this. Their whole family was at their parents cabin, and he woke up and couldn't breathe. He died shortly thereafter. Will you please send some prayers their way? what a horrible way to remember Father's Day weekend.
I am so very sorry Sydnee. What a terrible thing to happen. Thinking of your friend & her family....

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#109 of 110 Old 06-17-2007, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*max*~ View Post
I am so very sorry Sydnee. What a terrible thing to happen. Thinking of your friend & her family....
Yes, how horrible. My boyfriend from high school died in a car accident on Tuesday and his funeral is today. He left behind 3 small children. I feel so bad for his wife and kids.
#110 of 110 Old 06-17-2007, 04:49 PM

Oh, Sydnee and Hevyne, I'm so sorry to hear your bad news. I'll be thinking of you and your friends' families.

I came over here to point out that Jackie started a new thread thataway...

I hope the fathers in your lives are enjoying their days today.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page