what's the worst kid's book you've ever read? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love max and ruby too. I agree max is an adorable toddler. I like olivia too. I do not see how she is anymore bratty then a lot of other kids.

I don't like pokey little puppy or any of those other golden spined books probably.
#62 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
My son cried and cried last weekend when he realized that we'd gotten rid of The Tale of a Very Bad Rabbit by Beatrix Potter. It's the tale of how an innocent little rabbit gets assaulted by a bigger, mean rabbit, but then the bigger, mean rabbit gets shot. Great. Fun story. Not.
Um, yes, exactly! We have this book, it is awful!

Another one I can't stand is Are You My Mother.
#63 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 02:05 PM

The worst in terms of context would have to be Rose Blanche. My mom sent this book to us and I started reading it, unaware of the ending. The story goes as this - little girl goes for a walk in the woods to follow soldiers who arrested a boy and finds a concentration camp. So she starts bringing small bits of food, flowers, etc. and going every day.
The news comes one day that the war is over and the camp is being liberated. She makes one last trip through the woods. On her way, she's shot by soldiers.
Um, yeah. It's a picture book so I thought it would be a happy feel good story about a little girl who was a hero.
#64 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 02:08 PM

Oh, I am loving this thread!
I just read a R. Scarry book to my little one, and I was cracking up to see the fire fighter pigs all sitting down to share a giant hot dog! But as pp have noted, I loved R. Scarry as a kid.
We had a little golden book that had been DH's (why would his mom have saved it?) that somehow.....left the house in the newspaper recycling bag I can't remember the name, but it was all about these little bunnies who had a mean weasel who lived nearby and if he caught them, he would eat them! And the main little bunny makes friends with a squirrel, and they make a dragon costume to scare the weasel, who falls down a hill, and is on crutches and all bandaged up, and then goes away. But my girls loved it - when I read it I changed every time it said that the weasel ate a rabbit, I would say "Chased", like "The weasel ate his grandmother, so he was sad". But now they can read, so out it went!
I wish I could remember the others, there are definitely more that I do not like.

Sharon FF/Medic DH 3 DD's 2/98, 4/01, 11/05
~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#65 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 02:10 PM

ginger, maybe the pigs are eating a kosher all-beef frank!
#66 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 02:17 PM

Oh, Mum bought DB that series too (perhaps she figured I was beyond help when it came to values? LOL). There was the Terry Fox story and the Rocket Richard story too, if I remember correctly. I don't remember being scarred by the Louis Pasteur story but I was a bit old for them anyway. They did seem awfully preachy though.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#67 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 02:41 PM

I also hate Curious George - the first one is awful, and the one with the Pizza shop has a male character (can't remember his name - we'll say John) , and a female character named "John's wife" Grrr. We got that book from the library the same week we got another book about somebody and his wife. but DD loves curious george. and they are long enough and boring enough to put her to sleep .

DH hates "I love you this much" - so he reads it as "I caught a fish THIS big" - in his version the daddy and his little girl are talking about how big the fish they caught were.

DD loves the Richard Scary books - as many of the animals have ambiguous names, she decides that most of them are girls, which works for me. But he does say that "pickle's pig is fat because he eats too much pie." and "Pickles pig spend so much time in front of the cold refridgerator, he caught a cold"
#68 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 02:45 PM

OK...I have a real "winner" here.

It's a book called "My Napoleon". I have NO IDEA how it got in my house. I'm guessing it was a yard sale gift from my stepmother. I actually had to hide it so my daughter wouldn't ask me to read it anymore. Apparently it's a story based on true excerpts from a young girls journal that was published in 1855 about napoleans visit to her house. And yes..it is a children's book...

So..here goes...just to start..on the inside cover flap it begins with a poem as follows:

Baby, baby, naughty baby,
hush you squalling thing I say.
Peace this moment, peace or maybe
Bonaparte will pass this way
Baby, Baby, if he hears you
As he gallops past the house,
limb from limb at once he'll tear you
just as pussy tears a mouse.

Ok...shall we continue..:
It starts out with napolean arriving at Betsy's house where he proceeds to tease, terrorize, pinch, kiss, chase her. At one point he shows her a machine for making ice then "he put a lump of freezing ice into my mouth an then laughed to see my face as I spat it all down my dress". Betsy then decides to seek revenge by pushing him into a pricky pear bush. But...uh oh...papa finds out about her revenge and punishes her by locking her in the cellar all night with the rats. She lets out her frustration by breaking all of her father's red wine bottles until he comes back in the morning and lets her out.

There's also a nice part where she gets sick on the floor after Napolean feeds her to many sugar bonbons.

When I first read this to my DD. I had to keep skipping pages and changing words since I hadn't actually looked through it before I read it.

The back cover says it is a book that deals sensitively with the realities of childhood, offering a look at the ways that children themselves find to cope.

Ahhh...thought you ladies might enjoy that one. Needless to say, I believe that is my least favorite children's book.
#69 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 02:51 PM

Between the poem and the being fed too many bonbons by Napoleon, I am now DYING to get a copy of that book! :
#70 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
ginger, maybe the pigs are eating a kosher all-beef frank!

Or perhaps a tofu dog?

#71 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 03:07 PM

If we're on the subject of corporal punishment in kids' books - let's not forget Alice in Wonderland (or perhaps it was Through the Looking Glass where she hears (I'm quoting from memory - think I've got it right)

Speak roughly to your little boy
And beat him when he sneezes
He only does it to annoy
Because he knows it teases

Overall I love the Alice books - but that's a bit much.

I'll put it out there though... I read lots of books growing up that had the elements we've discussed here. Alice didn't make me think it was ok to hit kids, and The Fat Controller didn't make me think... anything except that he was tubby LOL. I suspect that we internalize this stuff far more than the kids do. That said, it's good we're aware, and I've hidden Whose Hat is That. ;-)

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#72 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 03:07 PM

[QUOTE=Andiad;8440712]OK...I have a real "winner" here.

Baby, baby, naughty baby,
hush you squalling thing I say.
Peace this moment, peace or maybe
Bonaparte will pass this way
Baby, Baby, if he hears you
As he gallops past the house,
limb from limb at once he'll tear you
just as pussy tears a mouse.

QUOTE]

Yep, I think that takes the cake!

#73 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 03:55 PM

I think I had the entire "value of..." series when I was a kid. I loved them! I don't remember much, I'd have to read them again and see what I think now.
#74 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyMama View Post
I don't like that 'love you forever book" it's kinda creepy that the mother crawl's into the window of her grown-up son's house and rocks him when he's asleep.

But the worst book I've ever read is this stupid rug rats book that my husband picked up on clearance. I hate reading it because it's in the voice of one of the characters, so the grammar and pronunciation is all messed up, and I feel like my reading it is an endorsement of speaking that way!
Don't flame me here, OK? My DH and I always joked that the man in the book was secretly homosexual. He is cooking, he has a cat, the way he dresses, etc. Yes- I know this is a stereotype, but it is funny. BTW, I am as liberal as they come and do not have any problems with anyones sexual preferences.

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#75 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=AnyMama;8433319]I don't like that 'love you forever book" it's kinda creepy that the mother crawl's into the window of her grown-up son's house and rocks him when he's asleep.
QUOTE]

Isn't that funny - I have the opposite take on that book. My mother never ever held me or even touched me when I was growing up, we have many many issues. So that book makes me cry every single time I read it because the idea of a loving mother just makes me melt. I've never bought it because even if I pick it up in a book store all I have to do is flip through the pictures and I tear up. But I love it!!!

I know it is totally not PC to dislike Eric Carle but his book "Have you seen my cat?" has to be the most boring one to read.

And Curious George and Babar were both so great when I was little, only now there are so many things I disagree with in those books! Issues I just don't want my 2 year old thinking about!!
#76 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Eric Carle is a great illustrator. He could really, really use a decent writing partner.

I hate those freakin' Carl books. They just aren't interesting. I have this crazy idea that literature is an art form and that anything that's intentionally trying to be "cute" or "teach a lesson" is crap art. And life is too short for crap art.

I love love love Horn Book for sorting out good kids books from bad! I recently bought D'Aulaires Book of Trolls based on their recommendation and now dc runs around the house every day saying "I troll! I troll!" and extorting money from us.
#77 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green betty View Post
I hate those freakin' Carl books. They just aren't interesting.
Really??! I love them - for a couple of reasons. One, I think it's utterly hilarious that the Mama is always leaving her baby with Carl so she can go have tea or whatever. I'm sorry, I know that's not a good message, but it cracks me up. Anyway, I also love them because they are some of the few books that don't have words, so DD and I really enjoy talking about what is going on. I like that *she* can tell me the story, and she can change it every time we read it if she wants to. I think the two we read most are the one where they go shopping, and the one in the park. What a bummer that you don't like them!

I agree that Eric Carle is an amazing illustrator. Our local library has a huge Eric Carle-esque butterfly painted on one wall, and we love it.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#78 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 06:26 PM

I love Carl too. Alexandra Day's paintings are beautiful.
#79 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We recently got a book at a yard sale called Danger at Sand Cave (intended for 2nd-3rd graders to read themselves.) It describes a real incident from 1925 when a man was trapped in a cave and people were working to dig a shaft down to free him, but adds a fictional boy who crawls into the cave through a narrow passage to try to get to the trapped man, then drops his lantern and panics until he realizes he can feel his way out. I'm claustrophobic enough that this all seemed awfully unpleasant to me, but the worst part is that at the end they finally break through to the trapped man, only to find that he's dead. I really did not enjoy thinking about what it would have been like to be trapped underground, alone, in the dark, for two weeks, until he died, and I suggested to 4 1/2 year old DD (after I had read her the book, assuming it would have a happy ending), that maybe it was too sad and we ought to get rid of it. But she said she liked it and wanted to keep it.

I agree that Eric Carle books are boring, boring, boring. But I'm with Thalia - I want a copy of that Napoleon book! (Though I don't know if I'd read it to my kids.)

What's wrong with Are You My Mother? That one has been well-liked by both of my kids.
#80 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 09:42 PM

I dislike any book that markets a product (i.e. the Cheerios counting book or the M&M counting book). I also dislike books "based on" television characters, like Dora the Explorer et. al.
My least favorite book is Make Way for Ducklings. :
DH hates Goodnight Moon almost entirely because of one line: "Goodnight, Air".
#81 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyMama View Post
I don't like that 'love you forever book" it's kinda creepy that the mother crawl's into the window of her grown-up son's house and rocks him when he's asleep.
Yes! that's what immediately came to mind. I find this book stalker-ish, particularly the picture of the mom crawling across the floor, and it bothers me that their relationship doesn't seem to evolve at all. But perhaps I've put too much thought into it?
#82 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSJ View Post
The original Curious George! George is captured and sad, then he goes with the man with the yellow hat and smokes a pipe before bed, then he accidentally calls the fire dept so he goes to jail, last he is taken to live in the zoo (which is the original reason for his capture). ICK!
:

That's the first one that came to mind. The other one I dislike is Guess How Much I Love You. Simply because I hate reading "Nutbrown Hare" over and over. It's annoying. I think I am the only one who feels that way though since ds keeps getting gifted that book by all different people.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#83 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 10:21 PM

My dh hates the rainbow fish. I know it's supposed to teach sharing etc but after reading it, I tend to agree with my dh that it seems to teach you that if you don't give things to your friends they won't like you. Maybe something gets lost in the translation because I know it's originally from switzerland ? I don't know but that's our least favorite. My ds has never seen it because we read it when he was little (it was a shower gift) and got rid of it before he saw it.

Also hate that all the board books that teach counting or colors etc all have pictures of things like suckers and ice cream and other junk food.....can't they count nutritious things???!!! : Every time ds sees them he asks for the food on there (and it's hard to find anything that doesn't always have dairy products in them - he's allergic to dairy).
#84 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenevenstar View Post
Oh and Max and Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuby - that is why I can't stand tv characters in books. I can avoid them on the TV as we don't watch it, but to have them thrust in my kids faces via so called "books" eugh!!!!!!!
Oh, I LOVE Max & Ruby, L.O.V.E! So much that I would & have watched it all by myself! I think they're adorable! But I love anything on Noggin!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#85 of 126 Old 06-21-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silly_scout View Post
DH hates Goodnight Moon almost entirely because of one line: "Goodnight, Air".
:
I may never be able to read that again!
I found another of our books I hate to read - The Little Rabbit Who Wanted Red Wings
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Rabbit-...2480407&sr=8-1

I looked in the reviews and one girl said she liked it as a child and now realizes how awful it is! So I am not alone!
Ours is wonderfully illustrated, not the one shown, but this precious bunny keeps wishing for things (like a tail like a squirrels, etc) so he gets a wish granted (he wishes for wings like a cardinal) but then when he goes home his mother won't let him come in, he is tragically rejected everywhere, then when he tries to fly he goes into a pricker bush, finally he wishes the wings off again and then he is permitted to go home where he "never NEVER wished to be something different from what he was."
Is it just me or is this a terrible story!?!
(It is going out in the recycles tonight!)

#86 of 126 Old 06-22-2007, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's our lineup:

My husband can't stand Goodnight Moon (so he'll be glad to know one other PP's husband hates it, too). Very often, that one's a big favourite. Goodnight Moon earned this status with my husband due to the witty "Goodnight nobody" with the blank page in the middle of the book. He speculated (tongue-in-cheek) that maybe they didn't have the right number of pages to print the signature (printing term: print many pages on one big sheet of paper, then fold and cut), so had to throw that in the middle!

My parents both hate pretty much every Robert Munsch book (but they seem to think I Love You Forever is OK). They hate the Munsch books because they think the stories celebrate and glorify misbehavior (eg. Mortimer who won't go to bed, kids playing on the roof of the building at the birthday party, etc).

I hate :Puke the 20-volume set our kids got from a semi-illiterate acquaintance who had bought them for her own child (not surprisingly, they were inherited in brand-new condition!) These books are called the Disney Storytime Treasures Library. I have no issues with classic Disney books. My thoughts on their corporation aside, I remember and love those stories from my own childhood. But these books. . . UGH! They are take-offs of the stories you know: same characters, different situations. The plots are insipid, the writing is terrible. Unfortunately, the kids love them. . . I think I've hit the wall and those books will be "rotating" off our bookshelf very soon! (And I won't be explaining the special location those ones will be rotating to )

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#87 of 126 Old 06-22-2007, 12:06 AM

"Good Dog, Carl" It's about a mother who leaves her toddler in the care of the family rotweiller while she go out to run errands. The dog takes him swimming in the fish tank, gives him a bath, and feeds him grapes (uncut, of course). Upon her return, she finds baby and dog happy and ready for bed. "Good dog, Carl," she says.

Enough said. I'm just waiting to read a news story of some idiot mother who is charged with negligence after reading the book and leaving her kid with the dog while she goes shopping. Way to go, author. The library refused my request to have it removed from circulation. Hey, I graduated journalism school. I'm all about free speech and against most censorship but c'mon...
#88 of 126 Old 06-22-2007, 12:23 AM

"Barney's book of foods" or whatever it's called. It features dancing meatballs eating pepperoni pizza, among other things. A gift from granma thta's going straight to the local church trift shop.
#89 of 126 Old 06-22-2007, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averys_mom View Post
"Good Dog, Carl" It's about a mother who leaves her toddler in the care of the family rotweiller while she go out to run errands. The dog takes him swimming in the fish tank, gives him a bath, and feeds him grapes (uncut, of course). Upon her return, she finds baby and dog happy and ready for bed. "Good dog, Carl," she says.

Enough said. I'm just waiting to read a news story of some idiot mother who is charged with negligence after reading the book and leaving her kid with the dog while she goes shopping. Way to go, author. The library refused my request to have it removed from circulation. Hey, I graduated journalism school. I'm all about free speech and against most censorship but c'mon...
But see, you're missing the point.... he cleaned up all his mess!!!!

I love the Carl books. (seriously) There are a couple more, one he goes shopping and does things in a department store that would get any other babysitter arrested.
#90 of 126 Old 06-22-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks mom View Post
I had this book by a series ( I hope someone here will remember it) about Louis Pasteur, and how he developed the rabies vaccine. It's a story about a little boy who gets bitten by a horrible foaming mean looking dog, and almost dies........it is SO scary. If I remember the name, I'll post it.
Okay, I looked it up, and yes they are still selling it.....it's called "The Value of Believing in Yourself:The Louis Pasteur Story" It's a series of books called the "value" series, yuck!
I loved those books as a kid! In fact, the Pasteur one was my favorite, but I was a big older.

"Goodnight Air??" Are you kidding me? Glad I never bothered to get that book!

Does anyone know the name of this really awful book about a man with a long beard who cooked babies in a big pot and ate them? Seriously. I think it was written by the Grimm Brothers. I saw it at a used bookstore one time and was so horrified I hid the book behind a bookcase so no child would ever find it. It was AWFUL!

Casey
Mama to DS 2/22/06 and DS 3/27/09 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page