Toys for little girl turning 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't like to buy junky plastic toys, and am trying to come up with ideas of creative and good toys for my toddler turning 2. The thing is, my little girl is a very girlie girl. She loves to wear dresses, she carries a little purse and a bag, she loves her baby stroller, etc.

(I've no idea where she got it from! I hardly ever wear dresses and don't always even brush my long hair, and I never use a purse!)

Other than girlie things, she loves stuffed animals, loves books (but we have hundreds of those already since I love Library sales!), plays with cars, plays with bouncy balls, etc. She has lots of blocks but does not play with them very much. Her favorite things are animals.

Any nice, creative toys for girls turning 2, that she'll really play with in the coming year? Looking forward to your ideas! thanks!

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#2 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 11:49 AM

playdough and some cookie cutters, rolling pins etc so she can pretend to cook. Books, a piece of material to make a sling for her doll. My daughter is a girlie girl and we have no idea where it came from. She wears ten different pairs of shoes a day and we've raised her exactly as we raised our two boys. Different kids have different genes I guess.

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
#3 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Banned

This made me laugh because DD is decidedly not a girly-girl. If I suggest she wears a dress, she will throw it and scream. However, she is into organization (did not get this from me) so she loves dollhouses and play kitchens. I am going to get her the Melissa and Doug Fold N Go dollhouse. When I was looking at that, I noticed that they also have a treehouse that reminds me of the hotels they have in trees in the Amazon. I think she needs to be a little older first (she is only 26 months) though. The other thing I liked was a wood kitchen. OK, I really like the one from the Lakeshore Learning store but I am having problems justifying $400 for a play kitchen. DD also loves the cut-able fruits and veggies with a shopping basket.
#4 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 12:17 PM

My (current) littlest will be 2 next week. She loves playing dress up with silkies - squares, capes, skirts. They use them for everything: hide n seek, canopies, blankets, hobo bags, as land and water with trains and cars, the list is endless. We love our play silks. It might be that she has older siblings to show her the way but she does have fun.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#5 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 12:32 PM

The best toy I ever bought for my first daughter was a baby stroller. She played with it almost every day from the age of, I don't know, 18 months to 3 years. Now my second daughter (also about to turn two!) plays with it constantly. She uses it for her babies, her bears, and for "shopping."

I think ours came from Walmart -- it's held up well, but there are lots of nicer ones on the market too.

My daughters also love our wooden kitchen -- we have the fold-up one and a larger one as well.
#6 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 12:37 PM

Our DD is turning 2 this summer. We're giving her a kitchen (my stepdad is creating one for us out of thrift store finds) and play food. She already has a cooking set and uses it constantly.

She also loves her baby dolls, stroller, cars/trucks (just got her a wooden bus and firetruck from Oompa - they're awesome), playdoh, books, puzzles, blocks, etc...

We got her a push toy and a pull toy from Oompa for her one year birthday and she still plays with those daily.

Have fun shopping!

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
#7 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Banned

I have to second the idea of a baby doll stroller. I bought DDs at Target and she loves it, pushes it everywhere. She takes it in the car with her and for a while would try and take it into stores. -I always said no so she stopped. And it was under $8.
#8 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 03:22 PM
mcs

my dd just turned two and we refinished the little table that was mine as a child and set it up with a tea set for her to find in the morning. it is a huge success!
the tea set is porcelin (sp?) and sais for 7 yrs, but she is very gentle. i found the set at tj max for only $10.
we also got her a set of cutable fruits (again $10 at tj max) which are plastic (i had hoped for wooden, but it was so cheap) and she loves those too! she has been cutting fruit for weeks. only trouble is, she needs me to put it back together- an endless process.

some other favorite toys of hers right now are puzzles- we have a great consignment shop near by and i have found some really cute wooden puzzles- also, just yesterday we were given a little teddybear puzzle whose clothes and face you can change- she really likes this a lot.

happy birthday!

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#9 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 03:40 PM

ITA with the play stroller and the silkies. Also, washable crayons are good too.

I have a toy mouse - stuffed courdouroy (sp?) that has a bonnet, apron and dress on. I used to LOVE taking her clothes off and putting them on again. Now, I can't quite see the attraction there, but if your DD is super-girly and loves animals, a stuffed animal that wears some clothes is probably a good bet.

My DD also loves the play kitchen at the community centre we go to. She's a bit younger, but I suspect she'll be getting MORE into it rather than less as she gets older.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#10 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 04:13 PM

My dd got a tea set when she turned two and she loves it! She also got a sandbox (it's plastic, but it's also portable and has a cover...it "lives" on our porch) and the M&D fold n go dollhouse.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#11 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 04:15 PM

I had 3ds' before dd. We have had some fun with the toys!! She is way girlie-girlie. Her favs...strollers and grocery cart. Fischer Price stupid little plastic puppy that you pull with a string and makes strange noises that don't even resemble that of a dog. AquaDoodle pad - way cool with no mess, and her "magic wand". I don't know what to really call it, but it's this pink plastic wand that when you push the button it makes a fairy-like sound and then there are these little fast spinning lights inside a clear bulb. Too fun!! Instuments, especially those that you blow into, but she's also quite fond of the tambourine (she likes anything that makes lots of noise, must be b/c dh plays sax a lot and the kids all like to jam w/ him). Brio and Thomas stuff.

I hope that helps! Have fun and a Happy Birthday!!

If you can't take the heat get out of the Kitchen.
#12 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 04:54 PM

My dd is turning 2 next month. She loves to cook up our wooden eggs on older ds's wooden stove, so I got her two little wooden egg cups at Sur la Table ($2 ea). Also loves chopsticks and monkies, and I found kids' monkey chopsticks there, too.
I plan on ordering a few Ostheimer wooden animals from www.thewoodenwagon.com We go to the zoo a lot, so I'm getting her favorites: peacock, monkey, zebra. I'll also order a playsilk from www.elliebelly.com
She got a purple silk crown from my sister for Christmas that she'll wear all day on her birthday (if she wants to), and we'll be at the beach, so I am going to find a special shell or treasure to wrap up and give to her when she first wakes up.
Those are my ideas so far! I'll be checking this thread for more inspiration!

BTW, there has been a big stink lately about wooden Thomas toys being covered in lead paint. I'm wary of any toy made in China, but this has really made me think. We've have some M&D toys on which the paint started peeling and flaking off, so I threw them away, and won't buy from them again.
We've been buying less, but higher quality playthings.

so many roads to ease my soul...

#13 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 05:01 PM

fanny's play house

check out the web site. I'm going to tell SIL (who does all of the Christmas shopping for the girls' grandpa) to shop here.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#14 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! I especially love the idea of playsilks and wooden kitchen toys/foods, etc. And many of you listed some great websites that I'd never known about.

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#15 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 07:15 PM

We're buying our DD this wooden kitchen set for her 2nd birthday in October:

Yes, it's from Wal-Mart.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page