Please remind me that it's normal for siblings to drive eachother crazy! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe it's the heat of the summer, or the fact that I am 28 weeks pregnant or something but my 2 boys(ages 3(37m) and 22 months) have been driving each other nuts lately. Part of me doesn't know whether or not to step in or let them resolve things on their own. I grew up as an only child, so all the sibling stuff is still new to me.

How do you all deal with "normal" sibling behavior? What is "normal" sibling behavior anyways?

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#2 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Judging by my relationship with my younger brother "normal" sibling behavior consists of a lot of fighting, teasing and aggravating one another, and loudly complaining about how much you hate your sibling.

But then one day you wake up and realize your sib's a really cool guy, and he turns out to be one of your best friends. So when your kids are driving you batty with the back-and-forth, remember what a gift they (and you) will have in the future. Hang in there, mama!
#3 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd like a reminder too as two of my kidlets have been scrapping all morning off and on today...

:
#4 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 02:52 PM

I need a reminder too. This is the thing that can cause me to lose my cool.
#5 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I must have the most normal kids in America, !

It seems to cycle. Sometimes, they're the best of friends and play together so nicely. Other times, I want to run away.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 04:22 PM

I agree with the others; normal sibling behavior is what your two kiddos are doing right now! Of course, that doesn't make it any easier on mama. My oldest two are 12 and 9 and still drive each other crazy.

A happy woman
#7 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 05:19 PM

I would like to HIGHLY recommend the book Siblings Without Rivalry I have found it to be a priceless resource in my parenting.
#8 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 05:27 PM

So, I need to get that book. My brother and I fought constantly while growing up, and still drive each other crazy at times. Next to dh, though, he is my best friend, and the one I call when dh fails at making something better. He understands me, and always knows which buttons to push (or not to, depending on his mood ). He moved away 1.5 years ago, and although we talk on the phone a couple times a week, we miss each other dearly. We were the worst and the best friends growing up, and although I don't want the youth battles for my 2, I hope they are as close in adulthood as my brother and I are!
#9 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestrymom View Post
So, I need to get that book. My brother and I fought constantly while growing up, and still drive each other crazy at times. Next to dh, though, he is my best friend, and the one I call when dh fails at making something better. He understands me, and always knows which buttons to push (or not to, depending on his mood ). He moved away 1.5 years ago, and although we talk on the phone a couple times a week, we miss each other dearly. We were the worst and the best friends growing up, and although I don't want the youth battles for my 2, I hope they are as close in adulthood as my brother and I are!
I hear you, and agree that the book title conjurs up images of perfect sibs sitting around singing kumbaya or something. That is not the goal in the book (or in life, I imagine). It just gives powerful insight (IMO) to things parents sometimes forget when we're in the heat of sibling struggles. It has helped me respond better and has helped meet the needs of my older DD that I was missing because I was so busy trying to keep her from being cruel to my younger DD. IT really made a BIG impact upon my family (in a positive way).

My brother and I have always been close. My sister and I are close now but we had a terrible relationship as kids/adolescents/young adults. I think that I could have stood to have avoided that part of our relationship, and I know that my parents could have.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page