Camping with almost 2yr old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-30-2007, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there
I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for camping with an almost 2yr. We will be camping with him next weekend with a very large group i think it will be 50 people or more. we are by water as well. any helpfull ideas, suggustions would really apprecaited!

My next question is ideas for a 2 year old birthday party?!?? i have some ideas in mind i just wanted to get some other iddeas. Also more nutrious goody bags/food ideas?? i want it outside! Thanks so much for your help.
Emily
momma of jorge c 7/23/05 : :

momma to 5.8 yr old DS jammin.gif, ttc #2 with DH!! joy.gifnovaxnocirc.gifhola.gif
#2 of 11 Old 07-01-2007, 03:05 AM

we just this morning finished up a week of camping with our 22 month old daughter and 16 month old nephew. they received their own sleeping bags as gifts from their grandparents, and both were very excited. dd has always coslept, but thought that her own bag, right next to us, was the bee's knees. also from the gp's was a fisher price truck for each grandchild that they played with the entire time, and fresh coloring books and crayons. they loved having their own toy blanket set up in camp each day. dd helped bring the toys out of our tent each morning to set it up. and we got a new "family tent" that really was an excellent move - tons of room. give in to the dirt, but have lots of wipies or water and washcloths. i was glad i packed lots of extra clothes, cuz we sure went through them. i don't know where you're heading, but where we were it was nice to have lots of cool clothes for the hot days and warm, warm layers for cold nights - including hats. sunblock, if you use it, as they are in the sun all day. swimming in the lake was enormous fun. and strollers really helped with naps, as the tents can be too hot in the middle of the day. dd loved hiking in the forest and picking flowers. she loved playing balance beam on all the logs. she also loved learning to squat in the woods to pee! dd knows about "hot" and was great with the constant fire, but it's a good time to reenforce that concept. having lots of kid-friendly food was a big help - lots of fruit, and snacks that travel well, along with plenty of fresh water. i know it's probably more info than you were looking for, and a lot of it is obvious, but just thought i'd share how much fun we just had this past week, and what was helpful. have fun!!!

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#3 of 11 Old 07-01-2007, 03:08 AM

Suscribing! It's been too long since I've been camping!
#4 of 11 Old 07-01-2007, 03:19 AM
SMR

We went camping recently - my 18 month old loved it! She played with sticks and chipmunks! The only thing we really brought her were some books.. which she looked so cute laying on the air matress reading! ahha Oh, I got her a really cheap flashlight.. she thought that was super amazing and fun also. We were surprised how much she enjoyed hiking, she loved the beach.. another kind of interesting thing was that every so often she wanted to get into the car and hang out... she would usually get into her car seat and look at books.. this was kind of convient because I could put dinner together while dh built a fire to cook dinner over... and not have to worry about dd running into the road or anything.

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#5 of 11 Old 07-01-2007, 11:53 AM

My 2.5 year old loves camping. We brought her potty chair with us, even though she uses the big potty at home. It was very handy since the bathrooms were some distance from our site.
#6 of 11 Old 07-01-2007, 03:49 PM

Just have the mindset that you will be sleeping in dirt and have a dirty kid until you go home and then you should be happy. Take storebought wipes to keep in your tent to have for last minute dirt-wipe off before bed. We camp wtih 1 and 3 year olds....Gotta love the dirt.
#7 of 11 Old 07-01-2007, 04:22 PM

Just camped with 22 month old ds recently and he had a blast. We took trucks and sand toys for digging, and flashlights for night time. The most fun thing was that we brought a wagon and everyone enjoyed riding in it and pulling it.
He came home filthy and exhausted, but it went alot more smoothly than I thought it would.
#8 of 11 Old 07-01-2007, 04:40 PM

We just went camping with our kids, ages 15, 3 and 1. They ALL had a blast. some things that were great for them:

*BALL!
*sand toys used in the dirt
*task them with collecting the prettiest leaves they can find
*painting rocks & sticks - took out some washable paint, cheapo paint brushes, and let them go at painting whatever they wanted. Kept them busy for a good hour at a time - was their favorite activity besides swimming. Plus, we now have a cool painted stick that I wrote the place and date of our trip.

For your own sanity, don't even bother trying to keep anyone clean.
#9 of 11 Old 07-01-2007, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#10 of 11 Old 07-01-2007, 05:34 PM

I'm wondering what you all think of this. My extended family has rented a lodge in the mountains for a week later this summer. We'll be spending the majority of the time doing outdoors stuff like hiking. I have an almost-4 year old and a 15 month old. I'm thinking about rigging something up to attach to them (bells?) so that they can be heard at all times, just in case they take off running or something. Have any of you done this? Is this a good idea or a bad idea? Do they sell things like that? I'm thinking along the lines of something that I could attach to the back of their shirts or on a belt loop.
#11 of 11 Old 07-01-2007, 09:17 PM
SMR

I think it's an awesome idea!!!

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page