*Our Nov. '05 independent toddlers*--July thread! - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 287 Old 07-29-2007, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups View Post
Is Killy going to be that completely indifferent to me when he's 30 years old? Will it truly appear that he doesn't give a sh!t, unless he happens to have a partner who hassles him to acknowledge my existence?
Maybe not. DH is really good about making a fuss over his mom for things like birthdays & mothers day. He remembers her birthday (himself!) and always gets her thoughtful and sentimental gifts. He calls her a lot, and makes a huge effort for Brynn to know her (even though she lives like a zillion miles away). He always asks her to come up when she can, and we try to make it to Texas at least once a year - you can tell that it honestly pains him that she isn't more involved in our life. I think it just depends on the person, really. So don't lose hope!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#272 of 287 Old 07-30-2007, 01:15 AM

I am so freaking exhausted that I can barely function. Neela thwarted plans to save my nipples with nightweaning with her own strategy of getting up and staying awake playing until morning, then going back to bed with her exhausted mama for a long nursing morning nap. After getting up at 2 or 3 am for several mornings in a row, I told her we could go back to nursing at night if she would try to be very gentle with my nipples. And I asked her if she would sleep during the night- and she told me "no". Last night, despite nursing, we were still awake from 2 until almost 5 am (we finally went for a drive to get her back to sleep because she refused to nurse- and kept saying "no sleeping, no sleeping"). She rarely "fights" sleep before this whole stupid endeavor, and usually tells me when she wants to nap during the day. Here's hoping tonight is better....

On a more positive note, we decluttered Neela's "bedroom" that was acutally a laundry/storage room with a change table in it, and made it into more of a playroom for her today. I still have some work to do, but when I showed her the room she shrieked with excitement, and got down on the floor and rolled around on her quilt with her books and toys.

Sorry for the self-absorbed post. I'm off to bed and don't have time for replies, but have been following and enjoying reading about all of your lives and kids!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#273 of 287 Old 07-30-2007, 04:11 AM

Mel. Here's sending you the alertness to get through the day, and the subliminal message to Neela: GO TO SLEEP!!!
QofC, I think we're living proof that some 30-year-olds care about their parents?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#274 of 287 Old 07-30-2007, 05:06 AM

I don't think I'm going to sleep again until December 2nd. Planning a wedding is freaking hard!
Winter is having a gigantic language explosion. All of a sudden I'm able to understand nearly half of everything he says. I think he must have said over 20 new words today. Is that even possible? Crazy.
#275 of 287 Old 07-30-2007, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I don't think I'm going to sleep again until December 2nd. Planning a wedding is freaking hard!
Winter is having a gigantic language explosion. All of a sudden I'm able to understand nearly half of everything he says. I think he must have said over 20 new words today. Is that even possible? Crazy.

Yep, it's possible!

Ella has suddenly started talking lots more too--she had a lot of words (some of them are sort of weird but consistent--like she calls chicken "ni-ni" and milk "dadoosh") but wasn't saying sentences so much. Suddenly she's started saying little sentences and putting more words together. And she's mastered the imperative tense! As in half of these sentences start with "go!" or "More!" It's terrible--she's ordering us around like a drill seargent all of a sudden.

It's hilarious though--she's in this total Daddy phase. For a while now, she's wanted him to be lying down with us while I am nursing her to sleep. She gets upset if he leaves, and she'll start crying and saying "Daddy, Daddy!" in this heartbroken little voice over and over again until he comes back. And then in the morning when she wakes up, or if she wants him to come in at bedtime, she has started calling him like I do. It's hysterical to hear her yelling in her little baby voice, "Honey! HONEY! HONEEEEEYYYYYYY!"
#276 of 287 Old 07-30-2007, 06:45 PM

All I hear, all day every day is Mummy, help! Help, mummy! Help!

It's like living with Suellen O'Hara :

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#277 of 287 Old 07-30-2007, 07:15 PM

I hear lots of "mummy SO happy" - even when I'm obviously not, like when she's dumped her food on the floor again... and "go outside! go outside! take Daisy outside! go outside! go playgroup! go playground! go outside!"

And instead of "mummy help me" I get "mummy do that".

We're making ice cream this afternoon. Rowan has ice cream mixture (berries, custard base and cream) ALL over her face right now, cause it's WRONG to put the mixing bowls in the sink without giving them a prewash treatment, you know.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#278 of 287 Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I forgot the best--"Mommy go poopy, potty! YAAAYYY!" accompanied by clapping. : Followed by "Bye bye poo poo! Potty!" Especially fun in public restrooms.
#279 of 287 Old 07-30-2007, 11:01 PM

Ha! Kavita, Woody does, that, too! Especially if he's sitting on his potty; he wants me to sit on MY potty (or really, what he calls "daddy's potty," for some reason) and go, too.

And count me in with the "help" babies! "Help, please! Help, please! Help, please!"

Mel, I'm so sorry that you and Neela are stuck in that sleep cycle right now. The playroom sounds like fun! I've been gathering ideas for a more active bedroom play area; right now this site on homemade chalkboard paint has me interested.
#280 of 287 Old 07-31-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
All I hear, all day every day is Mummy, help! Help, mummy! Help!

It's like living with Suellen O'Hara :

sorry, helen, i know firsthand this is frustrating but i couldn't help

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#281 of 287 Old 07-31-2007, 02:25 PM

We are still at the point and "ahhh ahhh" stage here. He has picked up a few more important words from daddy. He can now say an almost understandable "beer" he does a really good job with "ffff" at appropriate times and was trying to sing about a bottle of rum yesterday I still have a funny feeling the np we see will want him to have a speech eval at age 2 for lack of vocab, but he has no problems understanding a thing.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#282 of 287 Old 07-31-2007, 02:34 PM

Isaac is REALLY into animals. So most of his words are totally having to do with either his extremely independent personality, or animals.

Moot is cow, owl, pick is pig, sishy is fishy, nemo, daddy, mommy (which works for me, my mom and his aunties. ), puppy, dog, bird, bear, titi which is kitty, dut is duck. The other words are usually commands or comments. Like aw done, no, stop it, mine, up, ny-night, whats that... etc.

And he incorporates it with a LOT of gibberish/foreign baby language.

He just hit an explosion this month though.
#283 of 287 Old 07-31-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
We are still at the point and "ahhh ahhh" stage here. He has picked up a few more important words from daddy. He can now say an almost understandable "beer" he does a really good job with "ffff" at appropriate times and was trying to sing about a bottle of rum yesterday I still have a funny feeling the np we see will want him to have a speech eval at age 2 for lack of vocab, but he has no problems understanding a thing.
Glad my kid's not the only one familiar with beer Kristina I laughed so hard at this... good to see he's got his priorities in order!!!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#284 of 287 Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 PM

Here's one for the "Thank God she didn't say *that* in public" file:

Tonight Brynn and I were in the kitchen making dinner, and Jason came home from work and then left right away again to go work out. After he left, Brynn said, "I'm scared of Daddy." I wasn't really too alarmed, but I did say, "Really? What is it about Daddy that you are scared of?" Her reply? "His penis."

We talked about it more and she seemed to really be concerned about the fact that Daddy pees from his penis, so I guess that's what she was talking about. I was just thinking (in all seriousness), what if she were in school and said that to a teacher or another parent? Hello, CPS!!! Geez.

#285 of 287 Old 07-31-2007, 11:19 PM

WOW.

Yeah I would chalk that up to good timing on her part.
#286 of 287 Old 08-01-2007, 03:18 AM

I think penises are generally fascinating at this age anyhow- especially for a girl thinking about the potty, because little boys accidents are so much tidier I would maybe consider spending a day talking about "scary" and "not scary" though- it sounds like she had a very clear idea in her head but didn't have the words to express it.

#287 of 287 Old 08-01-2007, 08:03 AM

Oh! It's August 1st! Here's the new thread.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page