*Our Nov. '05 independent toddlers*--July thread! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 287 Old 07-06-2007, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kavita,
Thanks! That definitely helps the worried part of me. I'll know soon enough, and if I am...well, we'll be blessed and happy and do what we need to do.

As for Brynn...I cannot believe the things she says!!! She is TOO CUTE for words!

#62 of 287 Old 07-06-2007, 10:08 PM

barcelona, I second what Kavita said. There's probably a small chance that you might be - but I was a little confused by your post. Have you begun ovulating again since Finley's birth? You seem to know where you are in your cycle, which leads me to believe you have had at least one period? But on first reading, I thought that you were saying that you haven't a period at all yet? I hear you on the not-quite-sure-how-you'd-feel. After I got over the feelings that I would be suicidal if I were to become pregnant (like until Brynn was about 1), I actually thought that I would be slightly happy if it happened by accident. But it can't, so that's fine. And hooray for the water-aversion-reduction! That is great! And the cheesecake - yum! I've had such a sweet-tooth the past few days!

Kavita, I had totally forgotten about the boob episode. That was really funny. She's been talking a blue streak today, but the funniest was when we were at a new friend's house today for playtime, and she came up to me and said (I kid you not): "Let's talk for a moment." This kid cracks me up.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#63 of 287 Old 07-06-2007, 10:32 PM

Sorry if that's confusing. I have not yet had my period, so I'm not 100% sure where I am in my cycle. But, since reading FAM, I've been keeping track of my CM and cervical positioning...and it seemed like I followed the patterns leading up to ovluation, then ovulating, and then passing it. I'm not temping, since I am still up at nights with Finley. From what I understand, I might well be attempting to ovulate, but not yet have enough estrogen to release an egg.

So, I'm sure this decreases my chances even more, and I'm being super overly paranoid. It's just that, when I got pregnant with Finley, it was like this...such a small shot, and it happened.

So, I'm probably fine. Still, I'll be testing so I can know something, esp. since I have no idea when AF would start.
#64 of 287 Old 07-07-2007, 05:35 AM

Barcelona, a few thoughts:
Firstly, if you had unprotected sex less than 48 hours before day Oh, then your body may have faked you into thinking that you're more fertile than you are: semen and ewcm can take a while to tell apart, and a lot of women find that semen will also move their cervixes higher and make them feel softer, but with a hard core in the centre.
Secondly, if you only noticed one day of fertile quality CM- creamy or egg-white- then the chances are that your body is still gearing up to ovulation. If you log on to FF, there's charts on there for women coming off the minipill. It is worth temping, though, it really is- as long as every night's sleep is trashed then you should get an accurate indication on a chart of when O occurs, it's just not going to look "pretty."
Kavita, that's cute

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#65 of 287 Old 07-07-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavita View Post
My favorite is last week we were having lunch and I look up and notice that Brynn, who is sitting the the booth across from me, is staring, totally transfixed, at my boobs, for like an extended period of time! And then turns to her mom and says in this hushed tone, Mama, there's milk in there!! like she was just having this epiphany! It was very hilarious!
Too funny! Neela is currently obsessed with who nurses. We have long periods of questioning about all of our friends and neighbours. Including one little girl who recently weaned at two years old but is much smaller than Neela. Neela keeps insisting that she nurses and gets upset if I say she doesn't. My little lactivist

As for the verbal=intelligent stereotype, we get it all the time. It's easier to know what is going on inside of a verbal toddler's head, but certainly no more or less in there! But we get constant comments about how smart and amazing Neela is. I think she is, but just in the prejudiced parent kind of way

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#66 of 287 Old 07-08-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
I think she is, but just in the prejudiced parent kind of way
Whenever someone comments on how smart Isa is (due to signing or talking or whatever) I always tell people that I think all children are this intelligent, but that she has a way of expressing it that is more tangible to most people. I agree that talkative doesn't mean smarter, but that verbal children are special because they help adults to remember that they think differently than culturally shaped adults. I LOVE hearing about things children have said.
#67 of 287 Old 07-08-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
youi all dont have to flame me since im flaming myself enough.
sheesh. somtimes i wonder where my sanity is.
no flaming from me, mama! i kinda had one of those moments myself today when keagan bit me in the arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Okay everyone, help me prove or disprove my new theory. Very verbal or early verbal baby/toddler equals crummy sleeper (or vice versa). DH and I were both really early talkers and terrible sleepers. He didn't sleep through the night until he was three :
i'm gonna have to go with the disproving the theory here. keagan only has about 3 words he verbalizes at this point. . . and sleeps like crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
So this morning I told him, I think we're going to have to give her sleeping pills tonight. Or something. Seriously, what the hell are we going to do??!
sorry, amy, i can't remember this has been suggested or not. . . have you tried hyland's formula called "calms forte for kids"?

Quote:
I just noticed today that Brynn is now sprouting her bottom canines, in addition to still working slowly on her top first molars. So, honestly, that has to be related. Doesn't it? I'm just going to believe that for now!
dunno. . . keagan has had all of his teeth now minus his two year molars for a few months and still sleeps like crap.

can you tell i'm tired? maybe i should go to sleep now since the little bean is asleep

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#68 of 287 Old 07-08-2007, 04:35 AM

Amy, I was thinking about you and Brynn last night. If you're actually considering something that drastic, wouuld you think about starting with a session or two of cranial-sacral therapy (her birth was pretty traumatic for you, if I remember) and if that doesn't show results then maybe looking at something like classical kinesiology? I'm wondering if maybe this extreme teething and sleeplessness isn't actually Brynn's normal and if there's something else going on that is aggravating the teething and broken nights.

Susannah, I'm sorry for your poor bottom - how did he reach? I'm trying to figure out the logistics here and struggling desperately... here's hoping he sleeps soon too.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#69 of 287 Old 07-08-2007, 04:52 AM

I know it's too late for this time, but for any NFPers who have "oopses" spermicide can be used afterwards (and even up to 24 hours afterwards) to reduce the chance of pregnancy. I know they offer it as an alternative to the morning after pill in some situations (and I hope I'm not opening major debate or UA violations here).

Susannah~ I want details of the bum biting, too

We had a bunch of 7/7/7 babies at work this evening. I'm tired and off to bed...

#70 of 287 Old 07-08-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Amy, I was thinking about you and Brynn last night. If you're actually considering something that drastic, wouuld you think about starting with a session or two of cranial-sacral therapy (her birth was pretty traumatic for you, if I remember) and if that doesn't show results then maybe looking at something like classical kinesiology? I'm wondering if maybe this extreme teething and sleeplessness isn't actually Brynn's normal and if there's something else going on that is aggravating the teething and broken nights.
Can you explain more about this? I really don't understand CST very well, so I don't know the way in which it might help. You can PM if you like.

We had a nice day yesterday. We lounged a lot, and then went to look at a model log home (we're thinking about building one, maybe, or something even more sustainable), and then went to Kavita's for the *most delicious* indian meal ever. Kavita is an awesome cook, y'all.

Mel, I realized at like 10:30 last night that it was 7/7/7. Lucky babies!!

Susannah, I haven't tried Hyland's. DH is realllllllly wary of herbal remedies because they aren't regulated by the FDA, so we don't really use them.

Spiritmomma
, I was thinking something along the lines of what you said in your post, about how all children are intelligten. My feeling is, all children *shine* in some way. For some kids, it's verbal aptitude; for others, it's physical mastery; for others, it's their awesome personalities. Jason and I have so much fun with Ella, for example, because she is SO giggly and cuddly (very unlike Brynn); she actually cuddles with me more than my own child does! Every child is just wonderful, I think.

#71 of 287 Old 07-08-2007, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Can you explain more about this? I really don't understand CST very well, so I don't know the way in which it might help. You can PM if you like.

We had a nice day yesterday. We lounged a lot, and then went to look at a model log home (we're thinking about building one, maybe, or something even more sustainable), and then went to Kavita's for the *most delicious* indian meal ever. Kavita is an awesome cook, y'all.

Mel, I realized at like 10:30 last night that it was 7/7/7. Lucky babies!!

Susannah, I haven't tried Hyland's. DH is realllllllly wary of herbal remedies because they aren't regulated by the FDA, so we don't really use them.

Spiritmomma
, I was thinking something along the lines of what you said in your post, about how all children are intelligten. My feeling is, all children *shine* in some way. For some kids, it's verbal aptitude; for others, it's physical mastery; for others, it's their awesome personalities. Jason and I have so much fun with Ella, for example, because she is SO giggly and cuddly (very unlike Brynn); she actually cuddles with me more than my own child does! Every child is just wonderful, I think.
Homeopathics (ie Hylands) are not the same as herbal remedies, whereas herbs work through the actual constituents of the plants, homeopathics don't really contain much actual "ingredients"--they are so dilute that the remedy may not actually contain much at all molecularly of the substance, but they are supposed to work on an energetic level. (Sort of the "aura" or energy of the plant or substance, if you will.) Homeopathics are one of the things that I feel are very safe, and will either help or do nothing in a situation--it depends on having the right remedy for the "symptom picture". We've been giving Ella a lot of Chamomilla these days for teething related crankiness and irritability, and it really seems to help a lot.

Thanks for the compliment on my cooking, btw! : DH is actually a pretty good cook too, but yesterday I wouldn't let him in the kitchen--I was just like, just get the kid and the dogs out of my kitchen and let me cook by myself in peace!! I also like to clean as I go to the extent possible, because when things get all crazy and messy I can't think or work well, and it irritates me when I don't have a clean and clear work surface.

I agree about different intelligences in children. (well, in everybody really but we're focusing on the babies/kids.) One of the reasons I don't want to send Ella to a traditional school is that I think that the educational system focuses on a very narrow range of talents and abilities. Even mainstream early child education seems so reductionist, and about reading readiness and learning a set group of concepts (colors, numbers, letters, etc.) I think that takes all the fun and wonder out of learning right at the outset! That is what is so appealing to me about the theories that state that we don't really have to "teach" young children anything, just give them an enriching environment and appropriate activities and sensitive adult intereaction, and they will absorb and be prepared though their own curiosities and wonder about the world and their own desire to explore it. And in terms of Ella being very sociable and cuddly--she is *totally* a very outgoing and sociable girl! It is funny, because I noticed that about her when she was very, very little--she is so expressive and has a way of drawing people to her. She is very sensitive to other people--not in the sense of being easily hurt, but in the sense of being very attuned to others. I always laugh and say that when she is two I'm going to get her a job as a greeter at Walmart, because almost everywhere we go, she has to greet everybody. For example, if we turn her loose in a restaurant, she'll table to table and visit for a while with everybody! She has very high levels of social and emotional intelligence.
#72 of 287 Old 07-08-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I agree about different intelligences in children. (well, in everybody really but we're focusing on the babies/kids.) One of the reasons I don't want to send Ella to a traditional school is that I think that the educational system focuses on a very narrow range of talents and abilities. Even mainstream early child education seems so reductionist, and about reading readiness and learning a set group of concepts (colors, numbers, letters, etc.) I think that takes all the fun and wonder out of learning right at the outset! That is what is so appealing to me about the theories that state that we don't really have to "teach" young children anything, just give them an enriching environment and appropriate activities and sensitive adult intereaction, and they will absorb and be prepared though their own curiosities and wonder about the world and their own desire to explore it.
ITA. In fact I couldn't agree more. I used to think the idea of unschooling was pretty wacky, but now I'm thinking it's actually a pretty good idea.

Amy, homeopathics work on the principle that a very dilute solution of something that causes the same symptoms in the body will trigger the body's own immune (or other) system to act to dispel the symptoms or balance the system. Personally, I don't think they work (flame me all you like, I know that's an unpopular view here!) - I have tried homeopathic remedies for teething, headaches, colds, sore throats... and have had no measurable success. OTOH, since the solutions are SO dilute, there is no possible way they could harm anyone, so they are perfectly safe. I say give 'em a shot. There's a chance they could help (don't discount the placebo effect!) and at worst, they're just overpriced sugar pills.

That having been said, I'm a strong proponent of herbal medicine. (FDA, schmeff d a - the FDA hasn't approved domperidone for use as a lactation aid either, thank goodness the Canadian drug supervisory what-what is more sensible on THAT score.) But there's no reason to use herbs the same way as drugs anyway - herbs are meant to gently support existing systems, not override natural processes like drugs do. If Brynn's drinking cow's milk, you could try steeping a bag of chamomile tea in some warm milk on the stove for about 15 minutes, then cooling it to drinking temperature and giving her that just before bedtime. If she's not drinking cow's milk, just try giving her some tepid straight chamomile tea. Chamomile is very safe (and not bitter at all) and is a relaxant rather than technically a sleep aid. I would avoid valerian, which is the most common sleep herb - I think it is too powerful for little bodies and COULD mess up her natural sleep cycles and create a dependency. Also, a small lavender pillow can sometimes help as long as there aren't any other conflicting scents in bed (like if you or Jason wear scented deodorant/ap or colognes, or if you use linen water or scented dryer sheets on your linens, etc.) Scents are actually very important for sleep for some people (particularly crappy sleepers like myself) - I have a much harder time sleeping with Rowan when her jammies have been laundered at my MIL's house because there's a smell of air freshener in the bed. And who hasn't been woken up by the smell of coffee or bacon and eggs? So, try to keep your bedroom entirely scent-free except for a small amount of (real, not Glade) lavender.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#73 of 287 Old 07-08-2007, 05:21 PM

First off, I want to belatedly thank everyone who offered commiseration and links to get decent bras! Teresa, Jen, kidspiration, Kristina. I looked at all the sites and they looked good. I don't know what size I am since nothing I buy fits, but I just ordered the Blue Canoe cross-over bra and we'll see what happens!! Tank tops w/ built in bras work the best for me, but I can't wear a little tank top to work or church so I need at least one actual bra!

Quote:
As for the verbal=intelligent stereotype, we get it all the time. It's easier to know what is going on inside of a verbal toddler's head, but certainly no more or less in there!
Mel- thanks for that. Since as you know, we're on the opposite side of the spectrum- it's easy to think, or for others to think, that kids aren't as smart when they don't talk. Yet, there is so much going on inside their heads- I have little thinkers. And really, my dh and I are not talkers at all, we think and observe more- so it makes sense that our kids are the same way.

Quote:
Susannah~ I want details of the bum biting, too

We had a bunch of 7/7/7 babies at work this evening. I'm tired and off to bed...
LOL, me too, Susannah!

Neat about the 7/7/07 babies!

Amy- I'd look into the CST for sure. We use calms forte and teething tablets and chamomilia, and different relaxing teas- I don't know if it actually helps, but at least it feels like we're doing something, and it's not harmful.
#74 of 287 Old 07-08-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
One of the reasons I don't want to send Ella to a traditional school is that I think that the educational system focuses on a very narrow range of talents and abilities. Even mainstream early child education seems so reductionist, and about reading readiness and learning a set group of concepts (colors, numbers, letters, etc.) I think that takes all the fun and wonder out of learning right at the outset!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spughy
ITA. In fact I couldn't agree more. I used to think the idea of unschooling was pretty wacky, but now I'm thinking it's actually a pretty good idea.
Only on MDC could I feel "too mainstream" for wanting to send Brynn to Montessori.

I wrote a position paper in college about homeschooling, and my position was "against," but I have to admit that by the time I had finished writing it, I had really been persuaded otherwise. That being said, though...I just don't think it's what is right for *our* family, for a lot of reasons. Even though I plan to go back to teaching someday (maybe as soon as next year), I don't really want to feel like I am solely responsible for everything Brynn learns and experiences. I mean I know that's a narrow way of looking at it, but my point is that homeschooling would feel like a burden - *to me* - and I would always feel like I wasn't doing an adequate job. Ya know?

Thanks for all of the info on homeopathics and stuff. I think at the very least, I will try the chamomile in milk option as soon as I can. I don't think we have any chamomile tea right now, but yes, Spughy - Brynn does drink cow milk, so we can try your suggestion. I did give her some teething tabs way back in the day, but it didn't seem to work for us either, so I haven't been really motivated to try anything else. One of our friends suggested valerian, and then I read about it and learned it's what is used to make valium, so I was like no thanks!

I am reading this really interesting book, though (101 To Help Your Daughter Love Her Body) that talks about the importance of loving touch during infancy and childhood, and it did make me sort-of remember that Brynn is both so active and so not-cuddly that I think we get a lot of our loving touch time in at night when she wakes up to be resettled. It gave me a different perspective last night, and I was a lot more peaceful about it. Still very tired this morning, but at least not depressed/resentful. To be honest with y'all, I really do miss her sleeping with us (and so does DH, even more than I do, I think); I just wish that it were more peaceful for all of us! When she nurses all night, I wake up with my back killing me, and no one gets good sleep.

#75 of 287 Old 07-08-2007, 10:27 PM

Amy, this may sound like a silly question/suggestion - but can you nap with Brynn during the day? I think part of the reason my kids have both transferred to their own big-kid beds is because we nap together, and get a lot of cuddling and shared-sleep time that way. I usually curl up in the bed with a kid on either side of me and read to them (while nursing Ellie) until they're both asleep. And, I fall asleep with them at least half the time! We joke in our house about the massive amount of sleep-pheromones our kids must output, because it is so freaking hard to stay awake when kids are sleeping right by you!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#76 of 287 Old 07-08-2007, 10:28 PM

Hi all, this may be old news to all of you, but I was just reading another thread and noticed that our fellow DDC mama Belleweather is pregnant! : I'm sure you've all already talked about this and I've missed it!
#77 of 287 Old 07-08-2007, 11:34 PM

*Amy* I agree that the homeopathy is VERY safe. Whether or not it works for Brynn will be determined probably by her personal chemistry. Isa LOVES the tablets. I think they really work for her. The Calms Forte for kids is great when she hasn't napped all day and it is too late for a nap (ie: too close to bedtime). They calm her without making her drowsy or "drugged up". The teething tablets are also wonderful. When she starts to get a tooth, I wait to give them too her until she asks. And she usually does ask when her teeth start really bothering her.
And I agree completely with Spughy that a lavender pillow is a great idea. I've made one for each member of our family. I stuff it with flax seed (so it's kinda heavy and really supportive for your neck/head. I also add a bit of lavender for inducing relaxation. If you want, I'd be ever so happy to make you one for Brynn or send you my rough pattern so you can sew one yourself. PM me for details if you want.

And I loved this and couldn't agree more:
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy*
Spiritmomma, I was thinking something along the lines of what you said in your post, about how all children are intelligten. My feeling is, all children *shine* in some way. For some kids, it's verbal aptitude; for others, it's physical mastery; for others, it's their awesome personalities. Jason and I have so much fun with Ella, for example, because she is SO giggly and cuddly (very unlike Brynn); she actually cuddles with me more than my own child does! Every child is just wonderful, I think.
Kavita, I agree completely that traditional education focuses too narrowly on what talents/ gifts/ skills are valuable. If the talents/ gifts/ skills are so valuable, why are so many VERY educated people out of work? And why are skilled professionals (hairdressers, auto mechanics, plumbers, etc...) living so abundantly? Many of those skilled professionals did not do very well in traditional school, but are very successful in life. Kinda makes you think, huh? Go Unschoolers!

Susannah: Hilarious but OUCH! Unless Keagan is very tall, I can't picture how this is possible!

Barcelona I'm glad you and Finley had such a great time in the pool! How wonderful for you!

Isa is definitely a swimmer. She loves to be in the water... maybe because she was born in water? I think I'm going to get her one of those really silly-looking flotation suits. We went to a family gathering today and my aunt had just had a pool installed. It's a salt water pool (no chlorine) and they had one of those suits laying around so we tried it. Isa felt much more secure in it than just with a loose tube or arm floaties. I wish I could have got in the pool with her, but I just had my tattoo worked on on Saturday!!!

Here's some long awaited pics... (keep in mind that I have one more session to finish up the green in the hair and retouch the white stars on the magic breast and milk on the nursing breast).

Have a happy week, everyone!
#78 of 287 Old 07-09-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritmomma View Post
*Amy* I agree that the homeopathy is VERY safe. Whether or not it works for Brynn will be determined probably by her personal chemistry. Isa LOVES the tablets. I think they really work for her.
Well maybe I have to eat my words, because I gave Brynn 3 teething tabs at bedtime, and she slept great last night - and IS STILL SLEEPING!!! I'm in shock; usually I'm lucky if she sleeps til 7:00. She only woke up twice last night, so needless to say I feel like this today instead of this. I even got to go walking (and see the sunrise), eat breakfast, take a shower, AND read my email and MDC threads!! It's a good day, I tell ya!

QoC, yep that is the obvious solution, I know. I have tried so many times to nap (both with her in the bed and with her in her crib) and it rarely works. I just lay there thinking about all of the things I want to be doing while I have some free time. Or if I do go to sleep, I end up being woken at the wrong time during my sleep cycle, so I end up feeling even more groggy for the rest of the day. I think since Brynn's been born, I've had like 3 really satisfying naps, and that's it. I think if her sleep doesn't continue to improve, I am just going to have to make myself do it. Or meditate while she sleeps, or something.

Hey, Spughy - isn't this your last full week of work?

For some reason I have July 16th in my mind as your last day of work. Is that right, or is it this Friday (Friday the 13th, yikes! )?

Jaymi, your tattoo looks *amazing*!!! I'm PMing you about the pillow.

#79 of 287 Old 07-09-2007, 10:06 AM

Mary, my love, you're behind the times. The Nov 05 mamas pretty much have their own second-time DDC- zjande, belleweather, crsta33, strawberryfields, me, jillybeans and, erm, I forgot someone : there's another Nov mama in Dec07 though, I'm sure, and everyone else is due between December and March So don't drink the water round here
We had a fantastic day at the cirencester show yesterday- not as much fun as the other ones we've been to (too commercial) but Skye went on a carousel for the first time She giggled and chuckled all the way round, shouting whee, horsie, whee, horsie, horsie, horsie I always loved them when I was little, so it was cool to take her on. (We had a disaster with Isaac and the ferris wheel though ) Lots of pretty sheep, too.
Pictures will follow on the blog, I promise.

#80 of 287 Old 07-09-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Hey, Spughy - isn't this your last full week of work?

It sure is!!! Friday's my last day! WOOOOOT!!!! (but stresss - I have much work to do, and little time to do it in, and the guy replacing me is a friend so I don't want to stick him with it. He's also arguably a better choice for the job than me even though so I no longer feel even the tiniest bit guilt leaving )

Amy, so glad to hear that the homeopathic stuff worked for you. It probably IS all about the body chemistry. My whole family has a long history of being unaffected by everything from herbal remedies to actual medication (interestingly, my sisters and I are all completely resistant to valerian and possibly valium as well) so it's probably genetic and with my luck my little girl inherited that as well. (I remember my mom being frustrated by cold medicines not working for us when we were little...)

Ok, I'm swearing off MDC for the whole rest of the day so I can get my work done. But Susannah, count me in among the millions who really want to know how your boy bit your bum. :

Oh except one more thing. I had a really eye-opening experience yesterday, we went to a picnic in the park for friends of ours (an MDC momma & dada, actually) who are moving to New York. A bunch of families came, lots of kids we used to hang out with in baby groups in the good old days before Rowan started running around and making baby groups obselete... anyway - the range in abilities in these kids, who were mostly around the same age (the youngest was 14 months, Rowan was the oldest at 19 mo, but 4 or 5 were 18 mo) was INCREDIBLE. Rowan and one of her little friends who is 6 weeks younger than her were running around like true toddlers - Rowan's a bit more verbal, but Eli's much more adventurous and was there exactly 2 minutes before he ran into the water playground and soaked himself thoroughly. But another little girl the same age as Eli wasn't really walking yet, and yet another one the same age as Rowan only started walking a few weeks ago, while a little girl a few months younger than Rowan is walking well and almost as verbal as Rowan (especially if you count her signs) and is practically diaper-free. (We are so not anywhere near that yet.) And a little boy who was ahead of Rowan reaching-milestone-wise the last I saw him, who started crawling exceptionally early and wanted to stand from the time he was born, decided he's good with the crawling and has reached 14 months with no apparent desire to walk. (His mother is pretty happy about that. ) It's CRAZY. I mean, I always knew that there was a pretty wide range of normal, but to see it so vividly in real life was pretty amazing. They are all absolutely lovely children, and very much loved by their mamas and dadas. It was a really nice afternoon.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#81 of 287 Old 07-09-2007, 02:05 PM

Jaymi- WOW, what an awesome tatoo! That is gorgeous!

Quote:
Well maybe I have to eat my words, because I gave Brynn 3 teething tabs at bedtime, and she slept great last night - and IS STILL SLEEPING!!! I'm in shock; usually I'm lucky if she sleeps til 7:00. She only woke up twice last night, so needless to say I feel like this today instead of this. I even got to go walking (and see the sunrise), eat breakfast, take a shower, AND read my email and MDC threads!! It's a good day, I tell ya!
Amy, I'm so happy for you! Doesn't the whole world seem different when you've had a good night's sleep and some time to yourself? I hope it wasn't a fluke and it happens again!! Last night the boys were really wild, and had had an awful naptime, so I gave them 'sleepytime extra' tea with valerian- and they both went down without a fight! I don't know if it was really the tea, but we were pleasantly surprised! I usually give them chamomile w/ lavendar and don't see a huge difference.

Quote:
Mary, my love, you're behind the times. The Nov 05 mamas pretty much have their own second-time DDC- zjande, belleweather, crsta33, strawberryfields, me, jillybeans and, erm, I forgot someone : there's another Nov mama in Dec07 though, I'm sure, and everyone else is due between December and March

LOL, I figured as much! How terrific that so many of 'us' are all in it together again! I"m going to have to start stalking DDC's just for kicks.
#82 of 287 Old 07-09-2007, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Mary, my love, you're behind the times. The Nov 05 mamas pretty much have their own second-time DDC- zjande, belleweather, crsta33, strawberryfields, me, jillybeans and, erm, I forgot someone : there's another Nov mama in Dec07 though, I'm sure, and everyone else is due between December and March So don't drink the water round here
We had a fantastic day at the cirencester show yesterday- not as much fun as the other ones we've been to (too commercial) but Skye went on a carousel for the first time She giggled and chuckled all the way round, shouting whee, horsie, whee, horsie, horsie, horsie I always loved them when I was little, so it was cool to take her on. (We had a disaster with Isaac and the ferris wheel though ) Lots of pretty sheep, too.
Pictures will follow on the blog, I promise.

Isn't trumpetplaya pregnant too?

Count me in for trying to TTC in the fall sometime. In the meantime, I have a very careful DH who wants to go to India to see his family before I get knocked up! And I want to get my body a little more in shape before I do it all again! I am in the midst of a yoni reclamation project--I've always thought that kegels are for people who don't have frequent orgasms, and I've suddenly realized that I can't sneeze without peeing myself because I am now in that benighted category. So, intentional muscle toning it is.

I also went to tour the Jewish Community Center here. I was all ooohs and aaahs with the workout facilities, the three pools including a small kid sized pool, a "climbing room" with all sorts of carpeted stairs and ramps and such for kids under five, until we got to the drop in childcare--I wasn't too thrilled with it. Ella and I sat in there for about a half hour. There were three kids, one of whom was coughing and seemed like she was teething and/or sick, and the other two of whom seemed a bit intermittently anxious about the whereabouts of their mothers. One kid did something like tumble over something, and one of the care providers kind of looked over, shook her head and said, "Jake, you're such a clumsy little boy." I didn't really like that. They also kept telling the parents as they arrived to pick the kids up, "He was a really good boy." They were fairly nice to the kids and paid attention to the ones who were missing their mommies and hugged them and engaged them in activities like reading a book, but overall the place was crammed with plastic toys and there was too much glaring florescent lighting and it was just kind of depressing to me. Although Ella seemed happy to run around and play with all the flashing blinking music and noise emitting toys, at least while I was there. Part of me feels like, well, it would only be a few hours a week. And then the other part of me says, well, I don't spend nearly that much time doing art or music or playdates or reading to her, and yet I hope that *that* has an impact on her developing psyche--can I really pretend that every day or every other day in that kind of environment will be what I want for her?
#83 of 287 Old 07-09-2007, 05:39 PM

I'm dealing with some issues with the school Annette is going to right now also. I think overall it has more positives then negatives in our situation. The big ones are far too much crap food and the teacher drawing some lines between boys and girls that bug me badly. There is no need for 5 year olds to be separated by sex so that girls get care bears and boys get spiderman! From what I hear the food will be very different when she is in the regular school year which gives me hope. She'll also probably have a different teacher. The good thing is having options if this doesn't work out. There is even a public Montessori school.

On the less then fun side of things I have to figure out a way to explain to a 5 year old why she can't go to the zoo as we can't afford her ticket. She has been looking forward to the field trip for weeks now, but the teacher just gave us the permission slip and they are supposed to go Wednesday! I am so sick of money trouble. I've got a call in to 2 different places in hopes of keeping our power on after Friday. I really wish I could go to sleep and wake up when it's August :

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#84 of 287 Old 07-09-2007, 07:06 PM

Good golly! Y'all had three pages of amazing conversations in my three days out of town!!!!! Multiple intelligences, sexism in education, frequent night waking suggestions, cranio-sacral therapy, a gorgeous tatoo, bottom-biting babies!

Woody's a man of pretty few words himself. ITA about how it's the most noticeable sign of thinking; people are always saying to me, "He doesn't talk much, does he?" or, "Is he always this quiet?", or sometimes, "Maybe he just doesn't like me..." We are a language-privileging culture!

But, I can totally see how a baby could bite a bottom, if the mama is short and the baby is tall! Woody's 35 inches and I'm 5'5"--when he's really glad to see me, or is in a really good mood, he sometimes runs up to me from behind, throws his arms around my legs, leans his head onto my butt and shrieks!
#85 of 287 Old 07-09-2007, 07:16 PM

I have never felt so loved with all of the wonderment of how my babe could bite my arse
The unexciting truth of it is not only am I fairly short (5'3") and he is fairly tall but I was also leaning over. . . and he got me right where my legs meet my arse. So there ya have it. . . the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth

yippee for the last week of work, spughy!

Quote:
Homeopathics (ie Hylands) are not the same as herbal remedies, whereas herbs work through the actual constituents of the plants, homeopathics don't really contain much actual "ingredients"--they are so dilute that the remedy may not actually contain much at all molecularly of the substance, but they are supposed to work on an energetic level. (Sort of the "aura" or energy of the plant or substance, if you will.) Homeopathics are one of the things that I feel are very safe, and will either help or do nothing in a situation--it depends on having the right remedy for the "symptom picture".
Thanks for explaining that ever so much better than I would ever have been able to do!

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#86 of 287 Old 07-10-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah M View Post
I have never felt so loved with all of the wonderment of how my babe could bite my arse
The unexciting truth of it is not only am I fairly short (5'3") and he is fairly tall but I was also leaning over. . . and he got me right where my legs meet my arse. So there ya have it. . . the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth
I can oh so easily see how that could happen. I'm 5'6" and Joseph is at least 36" when last checked a couple weeks ago now. I've got a horrendous bruise on my leg at the moment that if it had been on the back would have been awfully close to my butt. That was with his head tipped down as he had just run across the room to head butt me while I was doing dishes. Since everyone knows mommies should not do dishes while toddlers are awake unless said toddler is helping by splashing bubbles all over the kitchen.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#87 of 287 Old 07-10-2007, 03:20 AM

Despite the fact that we might have the smallest mama-toddler height gap in the group (I'm 5'2", she's 36" at last check), I was still not visualizing the bum-biting well I guess because she's not a biter- she prefers hitting or throwing.

I'm chiming in late on homeopathy, but most homeopathics are actually FDA regulated, unlike herbal medicines.

Congrats on your last week of work, Spughy!!!

#88 of 287 Old 07-10-2007, 09:10 AM

Is trumpetplaya still pregnant? She's due in July, isn't she? (and no. 1 came early, iirc) Must go stalk.
I know who I forgot...Ronna (suprgrl) who is due in September I knew it was the other mama who had her babe the same day as me, I just couldn't remember her username.
Skye appears to be partially pottylearned. She took her nappy off this morning to go poo, after doing her first ever wee in the potty last night and has been bare-bottomed and on target ever since She HAS to stop this growing up, I'm not ready for her to not be a baby any more She hasn't nursed since last night, either- and that was only one boobie.

#89 of 287 Old 07-10-2007, 04:54 PM

i don't think i'm pregnant...am 11 DPO and got a BFN. plus, I am having INTENSE cramps, AF-style. it is so strange for me, because it is the first time i've had my period at all since finley was conceived...and it's the first time i'm having a non-artificially-hormone-induced period for five years!!! i forgot how yucky it feels...and yet also good, knowing that my body is getting back in the cycle. (it also explains why i've been so exceptionally irritable the past two days...actually told DH i must be about to start AF, as i hadn't felt that irritable in years, and there was no good external reason for it).

jaymi, what a beautiful tattoo!!!!! how special that you and your sister collaborated on it.

amy, yay on the hyland's helping sleep! was last night still good? i hope so.

spughy...YAY on work ending!!!!! i hope you guys celebrate. how exciting!!!

kristina, i am so sorry you're going through such a hard time financially. will things be okay come august?

DiD, how are things going for you all in that department?

helen, i can't believe how much skye is growing up either! what with the weaning and potty learning.

gotta go! finley calls.
more soon
#90 of 287 Old 07-10-2007, 06:11 PM

Woody and I have had a rough day so far. There's been a lot a lot of throwing books and cups and such and a lot of No's and exasperated sighs. I didn't get nearly enough sleep last night--Woody's been waking a lot lately, and I ought to go to bed at 10 p.m. to account for it, but I don't--and I got a long, work-related phone call this morning that was unpleasant and distracting. So a lot of opportunities for loving guidance were missed today.

I did do the last 10 minutes of diaper drying in the dryer, though (as opposed to on the line), with a damp washcloth with ten drops of lavender oil on it, and that has made my house and my laundry smell very nice. And I made a big pot of mint tea with my new favorite, Numi's Moroccan Mint. AND he just fell asleep, so I'm going to do some knitting.

Maybe today is salvageable yet...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page