*Our Nov. '05 independent toddlers*--July thread! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 287 Old 07-13-2007, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
....and I'm done! Wooooohooooo!!!!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#122 of 287 Old 07-13-2007, 08:55 PM

Hi, all...

My dd Emma is out. of. control. And I completey understand why, am not upset with her, but just feel like the worst mother in history sometimes.
Her little sister is 2 weeks old, we recently switched her to a toddler bed (she was jumping/climbing/being very dangerous in the crib), and we have my MIL visiting (which doesn't happen often). So there's a LOT of changes in our home lately. Understandably, Emma is having a hard time coping I'm afraid. She screams at everything, hits, and is having a very hard time falling asleep, even when I rock and hold her.

The thing is, I completely understand that this is the age where she's going to assert her independence (I'm an early childhood educator...or I was before I had two babies in two years, LOL). I also understand that she's going through a lot! I just feel awful sometimes because it's so easy to lose patience and yell, which I hate doing. I find myself doing it more and more often though and have to really calm down to redirect Emma instead of yelling.

*sigh* Anyone else in this situation? I feel like I'm losing my mind sometimes, and I just want to help my dd get through this...while getting me through it, too!

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#123 of 287 Old 07-13-2007, 10:32 PM

Ok, now I'm back to actually contribute instead of whine about myself!

Kier- I totally get you- see my previous post! Except I don't have a newborn baby, but a very needy 4 1/2 yr old! to you, and forgive yourself- and welcome to the group, I don't remember seeing you before but I've been LOA a lot so maybe you've been around for a while!

Kaspirant- : woooo hooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Teresa-ooooooh, exciting! Can't wait to hear! I forget if I already said, when I checked out your blog for the photos of Woody a while back, it really brought back memories of our pg days! You were so great about updating your pregnancy photos and I totally remember your smiling face and growing belly.

*Amy*- do what makes you happy re: the username, but I for one won't feel like MDC is the same place anymore, without *Amy*!! You are a fixture around here, it would take a lot of getting used to Pretty cool about your professor, what a great attitude about exams!

Spughy- congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! I love this one that someone else posted I'm so happy for you!

Helen- I"m so glad Steve did well And how great that you actually took Skye to HP and made it through- I could not even contemplate taking either child to something like that! Thinking of you with your belly babe

DiD- what an interesting proposal. I'll be interested to hear how it works out!

Have a great night, everyone!
#124 of 287 Old 07-14-2007, 06:05 AM

savvybabygrace.

Sorry, ladies. I kind of assumed that most people had read the book and knew that broomsticks and London were involved at one point : It's quite cool for us because we know two of the locations really well (Durham cathedral and Alnwick castle) and it's so weird seeing them all tarted up into film sets.
Amy, I forgot to mention, when you were talking about the Police concert, my dad taught Sting Apparently he never told him he was hopeless at music though.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#125 of 287 Old 07-14-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Amy, I forgot to mention, when you were talking about the Police concert, my dad taught Sting
Shut UP! Is your dad a musician? That is so cool. I'm so excited for tonight!

Re: broomsticks and the Thames, we saw HP on IMAX last night, which was awesome, and the last 20 minutes (including that scene) were in 3-D. It was really cool. Kavita, her DH, and Ella came to stay with Brynn while we were gone, and after they had left, Brynn said, "....what Kavita said." So I said, "What did Kavita say?" and she replied, " 'Come snuggle with me!' " Awww. Kavita is so good.

Mel, your post about "pineapple!" cracked me up!

Awaken and Savvybabygrace, sorry you are experience so many parenting challenges right now. Our kiddos are at such a precarious age, it seems. But you are both awesome Mamas, and this too shall pass.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#126 of 287 Old 07-14-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
: It's quite cool for us because we know two of the locations really well (Durham cathedral and Alnwick castle) and it's so weird seeing them all tarted up into film sets.
Hey, that must be really cool to see places you know in such a big movie!
#127 of 287 Old 07-14-2007, 12:43 PM

Yeah. Amy, my dad was a music teacher. And Mary, it is. There's a film called Brassed Off (I don't know if it ever really made it over there) about the closure of the last coalmines which was actually set in the area I grew up (so was Billy Elliot) which is even weirder though- the HP sets are dressed up so much that if you didn't know, you'd just assume that the set designer thought "cool pillars, must use that idea some time." Brassed Off and Billy Elliot are so real I get homesick

pic of Skye and me on the carousel

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#128 of 287 Old 07-14-2007, 05:01 PM

Wow Helen that's a pretty fancy carousel! And look at Skye with HAIR now!!!! I always think she looks so very very English.

I went and picked up a few diaper covers for the stash of flats I found in my closet. Now that I'm going to be home and close to the laundry, we're going to give cloth diapering a go. Then we went to the market and got these amaaaaazing organic blueberries - we bought a pint and Rowan and I chowed through half of it at the market. So good. Rowan even decided all on her own to share them with the other babies there. : And I ran into a friend whom I haven't seen in a long time and we're going to go for a picnic sometime next week, and I ran into another mama I know and tentatively agreed on a playdate, and had a really good chat with the bakery lady (who is goddess-like awesomeness personified - she stands at the bakery booth all morning on saturdays with her 2-month old babe in a sling, usually on a boob, EC'ing him when required.)

In sad news, the chickens got into the garden and ravaged the strawberries again. Completely bypassed all the other veggies though, and the strawberries aren't actually producing at the moment, so I guess the garden spirits were looking out for us. As much as they could.

Keir - Sounds like a really rough patch for you. I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you, but it seems to me you've got a pretty good handle on things. Be gentle with yourself.

Am I some kind of weirdo for not being that into Harry Potter?

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#129 of 287 Old 07-14-2007, 05:07 PM

Adorable, Helen! You are both so cute! And those Birks are hysterical!

So AF showed up yesterday. My cycle was WAY, WAY wacked out, so I don't think that should count against the vacation clause ! I'm pocketing all of y'all's baby dust for when the time is right.

Woody just cut his incisors. Eeee-yow that must have been painful; he nursed constantly and was up many times a night for a few days there.

I've only seen and read the first HP book. I keep wanting to catch up, but now it's like, what, 6 more books I have to read and 9 hours worth of movies!?!? That's so cool that Billy Elliot was your neck of the woods, Helen. I love how the particulars of place are used in that movie.

ETA: Mary, I've been thinking about your situation, and Kier, yours, too. And I have been reading some research lately about how when stress (like the likelihood of one's child running into the street, EVERYTHING about having a 2 week old) is a dominant factor in a situation, we get a surge of stress hormones and we operate from the limbic part of our brain (the fight or flight place) rather than the cerebral place, the ratioinal, calm, thoughtful brain. So basically all our decisions and actions are filtered through that anxiety. One suggestion I read, from a Becky Bailey book for teachers, used the acronym S.T.A.R. to help with remembering the very first thing to do when you feel stress in your body, via tight shoulders, quick, shallow breathing, tense muscles, angry thoughts, etc.: Stop, Take a breath, And Relax. I don't know if that is helpful or if that is a "Duh! The problem is I CAN'T relax!" kind of suggestion, but the idea is that if you can just get your body to move away from the stress a little bit, then your brain will follow--your thinking brain can take the front seat again.
#130 of 287 Old 07-15-2007, 02:03 AM

So I'm just sitting here doing nothing, futzing around on the Internet, when on a hunch I look up all of my recent posts, you know, how MDC puts them all in a row for you? And just as I suspected, I have a scary amount of posts between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. TWO A.M.!!!!! And since it is nearly 1 a.m. now, I am guessing that this is becoming a pattern. I think the problem is threefold: 1) I am getting a little re-addicted to the Internet (it happens), 2) I am avoiding things I should be doing but don't want to, such as laundry, and 3) I am clutching madly to the only hours of the day that I can do what I want to do because my baby is soundly asleep.

I'm not offering any meaning here, just sharing a self-indulgent observation. People are wont to do such things at 1 a.m.
#131 of 287 Old 07-15-2007, 04:01 AM

Sniff. I don't see anything funny about my birks (I live in patterned DMs for the other six months of the year.) Thanks for the compliments though- and yeah, Spughy, I know what you mean about Skye looking very english
Teresa, I think DiD is on a different timeline to you but she's the only other person who is often online just before me. I think the middle of the night thing is pretty normal, because it's time for you- precious stuff, and you get it where you can.

#132 of 287 Old 07-15-2007, 11:53 AM

Hey Ladies. I'm headed out for Chattanooga and Athens GA today, so I won't be around til Friday or Saturday. I hope y'all have a fabulous week, and Spughy especially - enjoy your first week of SAHMiness!!! Oh and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
Am I some kind of weirdo for not being that into Harry Potter?
Um, yes.

Catch y'all on the flip side.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#133 of 287 Old 07-15-2007, 02:57 PM

Happy Sunday, everyone.

I have a quick question for you lovely ladies, and will check in more later today or tomorrow, but if you don't mind, helping me out a bit in my temporary insanity of the 2WW.

did any of you, before you got your first PPAF, (or for those of you who still haven't gotten her) have intense cramps as if you were about to get AF, but no AF came?

thanks so much for your help/input.

it is probably just my body trying to get fertile again, getting readjusted.

i tested yesterday at 14 DPO (in the afternoon, diluted), and it was negative. so i am trying to wait a few more days to test again. in the meantime, want to know if it's possible that my cramping episode is normal PP-body trying to get-AF.

more soon, ladies!!!
#134 of 287 Old 07-15-2007, 04:50 PM

Were you charting? Are you ABSOLUTELY certain on your O-date?
IME, pp cycles tend to have short luteal phases- at least for the first one or two. If you have a LP of 14 days, I reckon this sounds promising-although the cramping could be either
:

#135 of 287 Old 07-15-2007, 10:44 PM

Thank you, Helen.
No, I am not charting. I need to get a proper thermometer before I can start really temping (have a digital one, that isn't reliable), and thought I should wait til my first PPAF comes, but I think I'll go ahead start temping as soon as I get a thermometer.

But, I have been keeping chart of my of CM, and I had about 3 days of EWCM...and based on that, and the position of my cervix, I guessed about my possible O date, though can't imagine it being another time.

I have had a lowgrade fever since I O'd, but that could also just be me being a bit stressed or something.

I'm going to test tomorrow morning (that would be probably 16 DPO), and if it's negative, for the sake of my sanity, I'm going to tell myself I'm not pregnant. I don't think AF is going to come. I think it's just my body acting wacky.
#136 of 287 Old 07-15-2007, 10:49 PM

I'm online a lot at night too because it's really the only time I get. Sometimes I go to bed early and completely skip checking MDC and I wake up feeling great and wonder why I don't go to bed early every night and then I log on to MDC and have thousands of posts to catch up on and get sucked back in
#137 of 287 Old 07-16-2007, 12:00 AM

thanks for the support, mamas! typing w/1 hand, babe nursing, but wanted to say a quick thanks for making me feel validated in my efforts! have a great week, all!

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#138 of 287 Old 07-16-2007, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Happy Sunday, everyone.

I have a quick question for you lovely ladies, and will check in more later today or tomorrow, but if you don't mind, helping me out a bit in my temporary insanity of the 2WW.

did any of you, before you got your first PPAF, (or for those of you who still haven't gotten her) have intense cramps as if you were about to get AF, but no AF came?

thanks so much for your help/input.

it is probably just my body trying to get fertile again, getting readjusted.

i tested yesterday at 14 DPO (in the afternoon, diluted), and it was negative. so i am trying to wait a few more days to test again. in the meantime, want to know if it's possible that my cramping episode is normal PP-body trying to get-AF.

more soon, ladies!!!
Well, uh, not that I remember. But I do remember having a lot of cramping and period-y feelings (and several negative tests) when I was pregnant with Ella. : I was absolutely charting with temps and mucus and everything else, and definitely got a temp shift, and definitely got negative tests even at day 14, didn't test positive until about day 16 with tests that are supposed to be accurate as early as day 10 PO (sensitive to 25 mg/dl.) I was feeling like I was going to start my period for about a week, and it never started! Sorry if that doesn't help you. Really though there is nothing much that is going to help you during the 2ww, it's all conjecture until you get a positive test or a period, and it's agony! I did have definite new EWCM before my first PPAF, and thought, "oh, I must be going to start my periods again (damn!)" and then sure enough I did.

Good luck with whatever you are hoping for at this juncture, and I'll be thinking of you!

I had a very weird dream last night/this morning, so I will be anxiously watching my cycle in the next weeks too.
#139 of 287 Old 07-16-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Still no PPAF, but certainly crampy feelings as if it's coming at times. Even different than cramping, but the feeling of awareness of my uterus inside my body, if that makes any sense. I used to chart and have long irregular and often anovulatory cycles pre-Neela, and often had patches of EWCM or almost EWCM, but where I wouldn't acutally O. And occasional cramping then too.

Then again, I also had similar very mild stretching/cramping feelings through my first trimester with Neela, so I'll fuel your insanity and say that either may be possible.

Saavybabygrace~ Welcome! I suggest you look for the thread here in toddlers for mamas with a toddler and a newborn for suggestions and support. It used to be near the top, though I haven't seen it for a while. Maybe DID posts/posted there?

Helen~ The carousel is almost as beautiful as Skye. And your birks are terrific

Amy~ Have a great trip!

We're working on cutting down nightnursing and towards nightweaning with Neela. Her sidelying latch has never been that good, but over the past month and a half has been horrible. I have not had both nipples intact in over a month, and know I need to do this to save our breastfeeding relationship. That or not nurse in bed, but I can't reasonably function if I get up more than once or twice a night. I'm hoping that short-term sleep deprivation of being up/rocking/cuddling, etc. to get her back to sleep pays off in better sleep and healthier nipples in a week or two.

I don't know why we have never been able to nurse sidelying very well- it took me two months to get it working when she was a newborn, and despite every LLL trick in the book she still pinches my nipples. Or more recently tries to chew them off :

On a more positive note, we went for a picnic and swimming at a lake today. Neela loves swimming so much- she ran right in! And even dunked her face in the water.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#140 of 287 Old 07-16-2007, 02:13 AM

barcelona - here's hoping you end up with a result you're happy with!

We had a busy busy day of doing not much at all. We went for a walk this morning and met friends for coffee, then visited the petting farm this afternoon (where Rowan kissed every single goat there I'm sure) and then went shopping, then I came home and made dinner and suddenly the day was over. I have no idea how it went by so quickly.

This evening while DH gave Rowan a bath I was downstairs helping our neighbour with her computer, then DH brought Rowan down because he didn't think I could fix the problem myself :. Rowan was cuteness personified and chatted away happily with our neighbour, stark naked (Rowan, not the neighbour). Then she totally started doing a pee dance, holding her crotch and sort of dancing back and forth. I asked her if she needed to pee and she said no, of course. Then we went back upstairs and I went to get her jammies and whatnot and she suddenly started saying "clean up pee pee, clean up pee pee"... fortunately she'd peed on the plastic mat under DH's office chair. What was weird though is that while I was mopping it up, she was muttering "good girl bunny" to herself. ? I don't SAY "good girl", and nobody who would say that calls her "bunny". It was kind of odd. I think she was feeling a little insecure about peeing on the floor - I gave her a hug and thanked her for showing me where it was and generally tried to make her feel ok about it. I'm going to try keeping her naked more and next time she does a pee dance, I'll try to get her to go on the potty.

In other news, I tried to use the flat diapers I found and she won't have anything to do with them. She's all over the one Baby Kanga I have though... and those puppies go for about $20 each. Sigh. The girl has expensive taste.

Mel, can you enlist your DH's help with the nightweaning? It went so smoothly for us, Rowan accepted cuddles to go back to sleep SO much more easily from DH than from me. Even now when she wakes up at night she sometimes asks for boobies, but doesn't protest when I tell her the boobies are asleep. I think it would have been much more of a struggle if I'd been the one nightweaning her.

#141 of 287 Old 07-16-2007, 02:18 AM

I'm still not sure I'm convinced...But I have been SOO sick. UGH! I remember being sick but it's one of those selective memory things.

barcelona selfishly I am hoping you are preggo...seriously how fun would it be to go through it all together ooh and with Jacob I was 18 dpo when I was still getting negative hpt's and went to the doctor for a horrific cold. He gave me a crazy long list of prescriptions which freaked me out a little because I was just sure I was pregnant. I told him my fears and he did the pregnancy test just so I would take my meds and get better....yeah when the results came back...he took ALL the meds away and said good luck getting better

MelW Jacob is the same way around water...scares me sometimes. We are starting a mommy and me swim class Tuesday. I'm so excited!!

*Amy* have a great trip!!

spughy Ummm yes. We have full blown Potter Fever here. I'll post pics next weekend of our *costumes* for Friday...we've been planning this for over a year...and we saw Potter 5 on Imax with the 3-D fight scene...Luckily for me Jacob napped and amazingly I was able to pee before and after and didn't have to leave during. I am of the persuasion that the books are far better than the movies. AND yay!!! for being DONE! I'm seriously jealous!!!!!!!!!!!

savvybabygrace and Awaken I don't totally understand as I don't have a newborn *yet* but I'm feeling a bit of the same way...only **I** am the one out of control. I know part of it is what is going on with my body with the pregnancy...but I feel like a HORRIBLE mama right now because I stopped taking my meds for PPD cold turkey July 2nd because of the +HPT and I just feel like my needs have skyrocketed and while I was able to put him first so much before I am finding it harder and harder between trips to the bathroom, constantly eating, my aversion to the car and my inability to be comfortable outside in the summer heat....not to mention my poor DH who has received the brunt of my anger and frustration at just not being able to do the things I want to do let alone *need* to do. SO to sum that all up. You are not alone.

HoneyTree LOL at your realization of where your time goes. I thought I'd be better at keeping up with not working...but I am soooo much worse. I am trying to stay off the computer when Jacob is awake...and I'm finding that I am enjoying his naps quite a bit falling asleep with him!

flapjack the pic is priceless...beautiful both of you!!'

Okay...SOooo sorry I've dropped the ball on this but I wanted to throw out there one last time to make sure all who want to be involved are...I'm sending out PM's for the beads and want to make sure we have the count right. Soooo last chance to jump in mama's...and those of you who've already expressed interest watch your PM's.

Okay we'll I have a house to clean, cupcakes to bake and more cleaning to do...not to mention finishing touches on our costumes for Friday...TTYL
#142 of 287 Old 07-16-2007, 12:41 PM

Kaspirant, I want to slap your doctor. What the hell was he doing giving a breastfeeding mother meds that weren't safe for pregnancy in the first place????????? Can I? Please?

Thanks for the compliments on my gal- I could have posted pics of the boys screaming their heads off on the ferris wheel as well, but didn't think they were as cute...

#143 of 287 Old 07-16-2007, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

kaspirant--have you tried taking some omega 3 fatty acids? Good for depression, good for breastfeeding, good for pregnancy. I actually like Nordic naturals DHA for kids, they have strawberry flavored softgels that are pretty tasty. (Just watch the total vitamin A levels, esp. since you're pregnant, and cod liver oil has vit. A in it--don't want to exceed that if you're taking a prenatal.) I think it's pretty common to get a bit deficient in the omega fatty acid department, esp. since your body gives it all to the baby.

We're off to a playdate with a mom I met at the grocery store in a while, so I'll catch up with y'all later!
#144 of 287 Old 07-16-2007, 01:53 PM

Hi, mamas! It sounds like a lot of us had really nice weekends, with picnics, playdates, baking, road trips, etc. We went to the beach on Sunday evening--I can't believe I'd never thought of that before! Usually we try to leave super early, but of course are late by an hour at least, so end up arriving at the peak hot/sun hours of the day; I'm worried the whole time about sunburn, we're all kind of cranky and tired, and we get back in the car in moods unbefitting a day at the beach. So this time, we did our usual Sunday morning stuff--went to the brunch buffet at our co-op, cleaned house a bit listening to our favorite radio show (blues for two hours followed by singer/songwriters for two hours!), took a family nap around noon, woke at 2, and were in the car headed to the shore by 3. We got there at 4, and it was gorgeous! Still several families there, but not crowded, low sun, and we were all well-rested and well-fed and so got back in the car at 8 p.m. happy happy happy and rocking out to the Who all the way home. It was a really nice time.

Helen, let me clarify: I think your Birks are hysterical in that kind of delightfully unexpected, turn-a-preconceived-notion-on-its-head kind of way, as only hot pink and zebra-print "hippie" shoes can! I myself have been in a tan Birk sandal/brown Birk clog rut for about three years; your shoes have inspired me to possibly branch out to (gasp!) purple! when these wear out.

Mel, I am insanely envious of your lack of PPAF!
#145 of 287 Old 07-16-2007, 05:32 PM

what lovely, beautiful weekends everyone had!

and helen, i forgot to mention in my 2ww-obsessed message, how incredibly adorable and beautiful both you and skye are! thank you for sharing. i would love to see your boys too

spughy, how are you enjoying your first official day of SAHM-ness?? so exciting!!!

kavita, hope you had a nice playdate today.

and kaspirant, hang in there! have fun at HP friday! are you taking jacob? alex and i are hoping to see it this week, while we're in FL with my parents. i think Finley will be happy to go with them while we see it. i'm excited!!! i LOVE harry potter, and also can't wait for the last book to come out.

and hugs to the mamas having a hard time with two. i can't imagine. i find myself losing patience and having quite a hard time when finley is in a particular mood, which is quite often these days...the mood of resisting most of my suggestions, testing me, shouting no, etc, etc.

fern, how's it going? any improvements in your situation? thinking of you...

i tested this morning, at 16 dpo, and got a negative, so i am pretty much resigned to the fact that i am probably not pregnant. of course, if i still don't have AF and am going crazy with wondering, i will test again in a week. it's funny...i started the journey out feeling quite scared and overwhelmed at the possibility of being pregnant now, as we have been "planning" to wait til Finley is 3 or 4 to TTC. but the idea really grew on me, while i waited, and imagined what we'd do/our life would be, if i was pregnant. so, by the time i was getting BNF, i was quite disappointed and sad. ultimately, though, after getting used to the idea, again, that i am probably not pregnant now, i am okay with it, and somewhat relieved, with a tinge of sadness.

it would be more ideal for us to be a bit more in order and stable before having another.

of course, if i have news of a very belated BFP next week, i'll be thrilled, no doubt.

thanks for all of your feedback regarding cramping and PPAFs and all. i so so appreciate it!!!

happy monday to all.
#146 of 287 Old 07-16-2007, 05:32 PM

Helen- I thoroughly enjoyed seeing a pic of you and Skye!! I may have already said that but can't look back now! I haven't seen Brassed Off, but we really enjoyed Billy Elliott, and I do remember the scenery well.

Kaspirant- to you. I'm sure you are going through so much right now w/ the pg news, your changing hormones, the heat, and the stopping of the meds. I hope things even out soon.

Quote:
ETA: Mary, I've been thinking about your situation, and Kier, yours, too. And I have been reading some research lately about how when stress (like the likelihood of one's child running into the street, EVERYTHING about having a 2 week old) is a dominant factor in a situation, we get a surge of stress hormones and we operate from the limbic part of our brain (the fight or flight place) rather than the cerebral place, the ratioinal, calm, thoughtful brain. So basically all our decisions and actions are filtered through that anxiety. One suggestion I read, from a Becky Bailey book for teachers, used the acronym S.T.A.R. to help with remembering the very first thing to do when you feel stress in your body, via tight shoulders, quick, shallow breathing, tense muscles, angry thoughts, etc.: Stop, Take a breath, And Relax. I don't know if that is helpful or if that is a "Duh! The problem is I CAN'T relax!" kind of suggestion, but the idea is that if you can just get your body to move away from the stress a little bit, then your brain will follow--your thinking brain can take the front seat again.
Teresa- thanks so much for that, really. It means a lot. While "STAR" may not be a newsflash, as with most things in life, it's usually the basic, common-sense things that work the best! It helps to be reminded that there's a physiological reason for how I'm feeling and acting! I was able to do some reflecting and I'm realizing that Ezra has all of a sudden become an opinionated toddler and harder to manage, whereas he was such an easy and happy baby, which is perfectly normal, but it makes sense that it would be hard for me and Ethan to deal with. The resultant squabbling, crying, and hectic days that this entails is just setting us both off- we need to find a new balance. things were similar when he first started crawling. And I'm so overly sensitive to noise, hunger, and lack of sleep, all of which are facts of life when you have young kids!
#147 of 287 Old 07-16-2007, 06:37 PM

Kaspirant: I hope things smooth out for you soon.

Well, so far my first day of SAHMing is going fairly smoothly. We went to playgroup, had a good time, and Rowan's asleep at the moment. She did wake up 1/2 hour into her nap but the magical boobie fixed that pretty quick

Now I'm trying to decide if I should cook the whole chicken for dinner, or cut it up and put some of it in the freezer, some in the stock pot and some in the oven. One way produces leftovers and stock later, the other way produces stock now and dinner now and either chicken strips or legs later. Hmmmm... I think I'm going to go with cutting it up. And the best part is, I don't have to run my decisions by anyone else!

Oh, baby waking up, gotta go...

#148 of 287 Old 07-16-2007, 09:11 PM

jayme, wow.. yopur tattoo is stunning!@ tim saw it and said" is that milkurt milurt?' thats what he calls nursing
what a beautiful mothers day gift!

kaspirant: sososo congrats on your BFP!..woohoo! more babies.

helen: thats great news..i mean, its not bad news, so im happy. i loved the picture by the way. what a fabulous ride! and skye and you are both so lovely!

what have i missed.. i just skimmed..so.

nothing new here. my sil is here with her 2 kiddos so we are having kid maddness. tim started a job yesterday that starts at 5am..so he was overjoyed by the screamimng kids while he was trying to sleep early. yeah right. no one wanted to settle down, well except me and my sil and tim. go figure.
i worked 16 hours this weekend, but im getting good tips, so its not soOoOO bad. i told my boss that i dont much like cleaning rooms (the chemicals and all) and so im working more in the icecream/food stand, which i much prefer. ngaio is a monster but a sweet one.. totally getting into being all grown up. she talks so well. today she said "be careful" to her cousin who was climbing on something precarious. so cute.

i should go, but i wanted to say hi.

love!fern

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#149 of 287 Old 07-16-2007, 10:15 PM

kaspirant, i too went off PPD meds after getting the +HPT. it was a scary few weeks, but i made it through. if you ever want to talk about this, PM me. i've been there and back again. you'll make it through. CONGRATS on the wonderful news!

can i just say that i don't think i can stand the suspense of Harry Potter any longer? LOL!

#150 of 287 Old 07-18-2007, 12:24 AM

Hi Fern! : Glad you're still popping in now and again!

I had an extremely busy day, mostly WITHOUT Rowan as her grandparents are kind of insisting she goes over there a couple days a week - she does love them lots and is happy there, so I figure, why not? This morning I dropped her off (she barely looked up when I said bye) and hit the gym for a great workout, then I did some grocery shopping & ran some errands, went home, did a couple loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen, made some stock, cleaned up two huge junk piles in our bedroom, and erased all traces of cat barf from the entryway (she likes to barf in our shoes and got dinner mostly prepped. In peace. Ahhh, bliss! Then I went and picked her up (oh, and the dog, too - they are Full Service babysitters!! ) came home, and we went outside to play for a bit and I had a nice chat with my neighbour while Rowan managed to soak herself splashing in their pool (supervised... I just didn't feel like undertaking the struggle to keep her away from it - clothes can be changed...). Oh and I managed to change the kitty litter as well. I feel so productive, like we are FINALLY pulling ahead in the battle against the housework.

Gotta put the bug to bed now - just figured I'd post to bump our thread a bit! Where are y'all???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page