*Our Nov. '05 independent toddlers*--July thread! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 287 Old 07-22-2007, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Amy, what I'm doing is donating the spare copy to the local women's refuge in memory of Kundalini-mama- her sister mentioned that she loved HP too. Just a thought We hadn't planned to have multiple copies either.

79mm of rain in one day, according to the local papers. It could be worse- the nearest RAF base had 91mm
I hope you get a break today Helen. We got about 2" in an hour yesterday afternoon. Not bad since about 30 miles away they got 4-5" in that same hour. Thankfully we just got rain dumped on us and flash floods then the rain moves off. According to the weather here we are in for more of the same today. I've already got the chili going in the crockpot and plain to make cornbread later. Perfect food for this weather.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#182 of 287 Old 07-22-2007, 05:46 PM

So I must have jinxed myself by bragging about the lack of PPAF. One week of kind-of nightweaning and it's here! Though I've suspected it's been coming for a while now, so the less nursing may have just been a coincidence.

Is anyone else's toddler VERY opinionated about what they wear? I have to hide some clothes at the bottom of the laundry so that she won't wear the same outfit three days in a row (and to bed, too : ). I made her a summer tank dress out of my MIL's old t-shirt, and she wants to wear it every.single.day. I may have to cut up all of my MIL's t-shirts in an effort to get her to wear something else

Sending floodless vibes to Kristina and Helen : :

We've had a couple of days of rain and are back to sunshine here. My tomato plants are sooo full, and I've just eaten the first couple of ripe tomatoes...here's hoping that I have dozens more ripe in a few days

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#183 of 287 Old 07-22-2007, 06:23 PM

Mel, Rowan's not super-choosy about her clothes but she has a real objection to overall-type things. Sometimes I can roll up the bib & straps of her osh-kosh dungarees but there's a little denim overall dress that she just will not wear, so I caved and put it in the 'recycle' clothes box. Otherwise she's pretty easy to dress, and she seems to have gotten over her objection to the cloth dipes so that's going pretty well now.

Can I just brag for a minute? DH picked up some chinese bbq pork from chinatown yesterday for our stir-fry last night and salad at lunch. We've always called it by its chinese name, char su. So today at lunch Rowan was eating some and I said "that's char su, like we had a dinner last night" and she said "pork!" I was just amazed that she could identify the taste that well!

But on the down side of things, this morning she dumped her little smoothie on the table (as usual) and I said "oh no" and went to get the cloth and while I was clearing it up she said "bad girl!" I really, really hope she's never heard that from Grandma! I don't really think so though. I think she's extrapolating from us occasionally (very occasionally) saying that to the dog, when she does something really, really bad, like taking food from Rowan's hand when Rowan wasn't offering it. (And yes, she DOES know the difference.) But we kind of have to discipline the dog differently than the kid, don't we? Or do GD techniques work on dogs too? Somehow I doubt it... I don't know what to do about this.

Ok, I'm hearing suspicious silence so I'd better go.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#184 of 287 Old 07-22-2007, 11:54 PM

Amy - i don't know what i would have done if my friend had let her baby cry that long

Quote:
Finished HP.

oops. . . baby crying now.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#185 of 287 Old 07-23-2007, 03:25 AM

Susannah, I did cheat by spending multiple hours stuck in a traffic jam and not in the drivers seat Skye was asleep, too.

Uck. I hate weather. Yesterday stayed dry, then today- when we need to get the boys back- more heavy rain is forecast At this point I have no idea what to do.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#186 of 287 Old 07-23-2007, 10:13 AM

Spughy, that is so cool about Rowan identifying pork!

Helen, hope the rains abate soon, and Kristina, can I come over for some chili?

I finished HP last night. It was so intense!! Thanks so much for the idea of donating it, Helen! I think I will probably offer to loan it out to friends first, and then pass it on. It's kind of hard to believe it's all over now....

On another note, can someone just put me out of my misery? Brynn went to sleep at 10:00pm, woke up at 12:00, 1:00, 1:40, 3:20, and somewhere around 5:30, and then up for the morning at 7:30. AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! I feel like my head is going to fall off. I really don't want to do it, but is night-weaning the only option left at this point?

So now that Rowan is sleeping well, am I the only one left with a non-sleeper?

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#187 of 287 Old 07-23-2007, 12:56 PM

Amy, I've got a big thing of left over chili in the fridge, but I don't think it will be there long. If you want some you'd need to get to FL quick and I hope you like spicey. I've got a sinus thing and can't taste much so I let dh handle the spices. Bad idea to let the cajun have a free hand with the spices! Even with my sinus stuff I could taste it and my lips were tingling I'm no helping with the night weaning issue as I refuse to let my children cry when I could help them. I know if I had tried to night wean Annette there would have been tons of screaming and crying. I just napped when she did and went to bed when she did until for several years. Now I am just grateful for a child that likes his sleep. He is usually only up a couple times a night. When he does get up he just crawls up in to bed with us and snuggles up for a snack. The one bad thing is he likes to lay sideways and try to push both dh and I out of our king size bed. We have talked off and on about getting bunk beds for Annette's room, but I would really like Joseph to be sleeping through the night before he is out of our room. We'll see what happens with that. I don't think Joseph is ready to be let loose in her room as that is where all her big kid toys are kept and he is putting everything in his mouth again.

#188 of 287 Old 07-23-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Susannah, I did cheat by spending multiple hours stuck in a traffic jam and not in the drivers seat Skye was asleep, too.
i still am amazed! you too, Amy. even before Keagan was born it would take me about a week to get through a new HP book, but I would imagine A LOT longer now

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
On another note, can someone just put me out of my misery? Brynn went to sleep at 10:00pm, woke up at 12:00, 1:00, 1:40, 3:20, and somewhere around 5:30, and then up for the morning at 7:30. AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! I feel like my head is going to fall off. I really don't want to do it, but is night-weaning the only option left at this point?

So now that Rowan is sleeping well, am I the only one left with a non-sleeper?
umm, yeah. i think our babes are talking to each other - someone make them stop! keagan woke up either 6 or 7 times to nurse between 11 last night and 7 this morning. so much for me trying to get into work early. . . now i'm just trying to stay awake! he has been doing this now for close to a week (the other nights though it was "only" 5 times of waking). i am so tired! taking notes on any suggestions other than night weaning. . .

#189 of 287 Old 07-23-2007, 03:33 PM

Yeah, here too Her diet hasn't been great the last couple of days though, and the routine has been shot because the boys aren't here. I'm hoping tonight goes better :
The sad thing is that she wakes up, has booby, wants daddy, won't settle without daddy. She'd ideally like me there too but given the choice, daddy wins I miss my klingon.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#190 of 287 Old 07-23-2007, 03:51 PM

Winter's on a nursing strike right now and I am so afraid he's going to wean. I'm so not ready to be done nursing him.
#191 of 287 Old 07-23-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I miss my klingon.
Ha ha, I call Rowan a klingon too!!!

She's pretty equally attached to both of us and will settle happily for either, but I have the Boobies Of Incredible Sleepiness which usually win out at bedtime.

DiD - I hope Winter doesn't wean. Is he at all jealous of Suriya nursing?

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#192 of 287 Old 07-23-2007, 10:29 PM

This is Ellie - don't you just love when your baby's personality is captured so well in a picture? DH is great at catching that moment... Here's another, and one more.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#193 of 287 Old 07-24-2007, 10:24 AM

Cute pictures!

I've discovered in backing up files that I have about hundreds more pictures of Annette then I do of Joseph and I'm talking about the same time period in the first 2 years. I'm attempting to make myself feel better about it by remembering how much time dh spent on the road her first 2 years. I was taking tons of pictures of her so he could see them. I still think I'll be : if either of them notice when they are older.

#194 of 287 Old 07-24-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
Cute pictures!

I've discovered in backing up files that I have about hundreds more pictures of Annette then I do of Joseph and I'm talking about the same time period in the first 2 years. I'm attempting to make myself feel better about it by remembering how much time dh spent on the road her first 2 years. I was taking tons of pictures of her so he could see them. I still think I'll be : if either of them notice when they are older.
My younger sister noticed and complained to my parents that they had a million more portraits of me than of her. My mom tried to explain that when you just have one child to drag to the portrait studio its a lot easier, and that first time parents want to document everything - by the time the second child is around its all more natural and relaxed. Didn't help - my sister is still bitter!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#195 of 287 Old 07-24-2007, 12:20 PM

Yeah. I feel bad about how few pictures of Isaac we have. Skye, we have pictures, but we've hardly printed any :. The downside of a digital camera, I guess?

#196 of 287 Old 07-24-2007, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Any future kids are in deep trouble--my records of Ella are sporadic, at best. I have the beginnings of a journal, the beginnings of a blog, and a bunch of really unorganized photos, but really we bought a video camera and there are like almost no videos between week 2 and about 6 months! DH does better with the pictures, though. I agree with the digital thing though--they are just sort of floating out there on the computer and not really many printed out, and NONE printed out well. We've never gone to a portrait studio either and gotten professional pics done of her.

We did get some photos done when she was a month old by a friend who is a professional photographer--but we didn't do any other pro photos b/c we already had done it, then it took a long time to get them back (like 6-8 months) and then when we got them back we hated them.

Okay, I have to go b/c Miss. Crankypants is having a fit in her high chair. Also--I think I may be a bit more scarce around here, I am trying to limit my computer time. I'll still lurk but may be posting less. I still love y'all though!
#197 of 287 Old 07-24-2007, 12:41 PM

Totally jumping in out of nowhere... but I hadn't found this thread before....

Is it okay to jump in?

I'm Danile, married to Tj... Dominic is 18 months older than my Isaac who was born on November 20th, 2005. Isaac horribly, sadly weaned himself.... I'm sure it was due to my pregnancy... but oh well. It's up to him right? Maybe we'll make it to two next time. We live in Washington... My husband and I are Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Instructors, I am a doula and a student in college for my RN and then my direct entry midwifery. (Doubling my schooling by my own choice for more of the homebirth experience. ) So yeah.. I think that's us in a nutshell...
#198 of 287 Old 07-24-2007, 04:42 PM

welcome, danile, just jump right in

#199 of 287 Old 07-24-2007, 06:16 PM

Welcome, Danile!

Spughy, I'm glad I'm not the only one getting rid of perfect clothes just because she won't wear them. And when we were shoe shopping for my sister's wedding last weekend she kept taking off her shoes and insisting on trying on different women's shoes.

We're sleeping day on day off around here. Neela seems mostly okay with the nightweaning (a little fussing, not screaming when she wakes up) and some nights goes back to sleep pretty quickly without nursing. Then other nights : Last night she decided to try to wait me out- she was awake from 2 am to 5:30. It was the temptation from the night before where she slept through the night for the first time in her life (until 5:45) that kept me from just nursing her and getting back to sleep. That and my still sore nipples that are finally starting to heal with no night-gnawing and my newfound love of traumeel.

DiD~ I hope Winter starts nursing again. He's an amazing story of stopping and re-starting, though, so maybe he'll do it again?

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#200 of 287 Old 07-24-2007, 06:17 PM

Welcome, Danile - I'm sure I've seen you around these parts before though? Whatever, glad to have you with us!

Kavita, I hear you on the limiting computer time. It's a big black hole of wasted time, isn't it? And yet, so indispensible at times... like when you need a dumpling recipe *right now*

We have gazillions of pictures of Rowan. My IL's and my mom print out lots of them, and I have a folder of my favourites *waiting* for me to print them. I just got my new laptop (it's actually at the Purolator place waiting to be picked up) so I will make that a new top priority. But yeah, probably the next kid won't be nearly so photographed. I'm the oldest in our family and there are WAY more pictures of me than my younger sister, and WAY more pictures of her than the youngest. It's just the way it is.

Funny conversation that took place this morning:

Rowan: Bees on wall!! Bees on wall!!!
DH: No, Rowan, that's a spider. Can you say 'spider'?
Rowan: Spider. Daddy pick up spider?
DH (totally not a fan of spiders): I think we'll leave it there. Spiders are good to have in the house.
Rowan: MM MMM GOOD!!!
Me: not *that* kind of good, sweetie (gently removes spider from wall, places on balcony outside)

...saving wildlife from the gullet of a toddler...

Oh, and her new record for longest almost-grammatically correct sentence: "Mummy, me help pick up Daisy poo-poo?" :

#201 of 287 Old 07-24-2007, 08:08 PM

s everyone..

again im popping in and havnt read much.. i just skim. bad i know but there is so much to do in 30 minutes!

helen, congrats on your 12 weeks!! im so happy everything is going smoothly.
kaspirant: congrats again.

mel: sorry to hear af came back so quickly..or not but you know what i mean.. but congrats on night weeneing. we are dont night nursing too and im so glad. ngaio sleeps so much better and so do i.

sarah: rowan sounds cute as ever. and i hope that your SAHM thing is working out for you. not getting stir crazy?
and and before i forget we are heading to victoria in september for a whole week (anarchist book festival and such) so i hope that i can hang out with you a bunch.

kavita, i hear you on the photos. i have a ton of elwynn but then we got a digital camera and i only have a handful of pictures of ngaio that arent stuck on my computer thats in a box in timothies room i actually got a roll developed a few weeks ago from when ngaio was first born, but they were really grainy so sad. but anyways, ive been using my manual camera more lately, so ill have some of her at this cute age.

nothing much new here.. i raked the lawn today and we found a big frog/ toad?! under a tarp in the yard. elwynn is all excited and we made it a terrarium in a big tupperware container so we could watch it a bit (is that totally evil and cruel?) its so dry here but for the past gew days of rain, so im not sure where he could have come from.. but its neet to have something to talk about with him and he is going to get some books on frogs and toads from the library to see what kind it is.
he told me last night that he wants to go to school because hes lonely for friends. there are no kids his age here, but in the newxt town where the school is there are..so i think come september ill have a kinderkiddo.

ngaio is asleep on the chair next to timothy she just nodded off while sitting there glaring at me. so cute.

ok. enough talking.

love!!!

..and did i miss the bead swap?

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#202 of 287 Old 07-24-2007, 08:10 PM

So happy to hear from you Fern!!!!!
#203 of 287 Old 07-24-2007, 08:43 PM

Wow.. I think I might have introduced myself before... sorry!

My brain is like permanently lost lately.
#204 of 287 Old 07-24-2007, 09:28 PM

Augh! Fern! I'm going to be in England for most of Sept. : Pleeeease say you're coming after the 22nd? We'll be back then!

#205 of 287 Old 07-25-2007, 04:48 AM

nah, Spughy, you should smuggle Fern over here in your suitcase

I HAVE to go get Skye weighed. From being teeny-tiny a few months ago, she's looking quite tall and sturdy. I'm getting curious about how much she weighs.

#206 of 287 Old 07-25-2007, 05:12 AM

I just wanted to pop on and say Hi, and I am back from our trip to see my family in Florida. I have MISSED you guys, and will catch up on the three pages of posts that have transpired since I went MIA tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to post tomorrow, if not, definitely by the weekend.

Just a hello, and letting you all know that your presence has meant a lot as I have felt strangely detached from myself, going through the weirdness that is a family visit. I'm so relieved and glad to be home, back to myself, to our life, and to checking in with you lovely ladies and wise mamas!
#207 of 287 Old 07-25-2007, 11:54 AM

So question....

Do any of you wonderful ladies delay/non vax?

I am worried about Isaac's two year WCC because our excuse before was "nothing before 2 years old, and then selectively at individual times". I don't think I'll have to deal with it super horribly, somehow I landed a Doc who is remarkably crunchy for a doc. He even recommended not circ'ing if this one is a boy when we'd mentioned not doing so.

I know I should slink on over to the Case Against Vaccinations, but it seemed easier to ask it from a group of ladies with tots the same age.
#208 of 287 Old 07-25-2007, 01:00 PM

We've selectively vaxed, just the ones that made sense for our area and Rowan's age. Never received any real grief for it, had a discussion with a health nurse about the hep B vax and made her admit that they only did it to babies because babies are harder to catch than 12-year-olds. (Although subsequently I talked to a friend who DID do the hep B because in her neighbourhood there was a high likelihood of her little guy running into used needles... made me kind of rethink it, but we're good for now I think).

Don't know how useful this is, since we're in Canada and vaxing is only highly recommended, not mandatory unless you need to put your kid in daycare or some private schools.

#209 of 287 Old 07-25-2007, 01:05 PM

I think most of us do not follow the standard vax schedule.

We are 100% non vax.

What vaxes were you considering getting at age 2?
#210 of 287 Old 07-25-2007, 01:44 PM

I'm not so sure. I know not the chicken pox one for sure... but the only ones I've considered getting were DTAP (only is seperate doses... D... T...P) and pneumococcal... but that's without researching those ones yet. I might feel differently once I research. And I definetely would not be combining any if I do. If I can find really good studies and arguments I feel more comfortable about not getting any..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page