*Our Nov. '05 independent toddlers*--July thread! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 287 Old 07-27-2007, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Amy, if only one of them has it, then obviously it's not TOO virulent, right?

But yeah, I'd worry. . This is one of those times when I, even from my firm germs-aren't-all-bad, chlorox-is-evil stance, would haul out the bleach and wipe down all the surfaces. Soft toys I would throw in a hot wash with a bit of bleach and hot dryer - some may not survive treatment, but it's better than tossing them out altogether. I'm not a germophobe by ANY stretch but for a one-time deal like this, better safe than sorry.

I have a wretched headache at the moment and a really annoying injury - I was peeling beets and hit a tough spot, the peeler slipped and took off about half the fingernail (the bit that actually covers the finger, not the part that grows out on top) on my left middle finger. I've got it bandaged but of course every time I wash dishes or cook or whatever stuff gets in there so I've been trying to keep it clean because it's flesh that's never meant to be exposed to anything. Plus it's incredibly painful to touch. Stupid vegetable peelers.

But I have another indication that Rowan is some kind of culinary prodigy - yesterday I bought us a portugese custard tart from the deli and she took one look and said "egg in that" !!! I've no idea how she came to that conclusion - she was totally right of course - but I'm frankly amazed. Mostly she gets her eggs soft-boiled.

Oh, and count me in amongst the conservative clothes crowd. I HATE the hoochie-clothes that seem fashionable for little kids now. So disgusting. Rowan mostly wears pants - the few dresses she has all have little same-coloured undies or have onesies built in. No miniskirts for my girl.

Time to go do more laundry. Later all!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#242 of 287 Old 07-27-2007, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post

But I have another indication that Rowan is some kind of culinary prodigy - yesterday I bought us a portugese custard tart from the deli and she took one look and said "egg in that" !!! I've no idea how she came to that conclusion - she was totally right of course - but I'm frankly amazed. Mostly she gets her eggs soft-boiled.
That is one of Ella's special talents too! That and she is shockingly good with a fork and spoon. But she can totally identify chicken in nearly any form. And today she was looking through a magazine at the bank and there was a small advertisement or something where there was an even smaller photo of a bowl of macaroni and cheese, and she started pointing and saying "cheese, cheese!" I am always suprised at how much she can identify food--such as she can identify pasta as pasta even if it's a type/shape of pasta she's never seen before, etc. (Like tortellini.) The bank is another funny thing--she's been there all of once, a week ago when I went to set up an account. The lady was really nice, read her a "book" ie magazine while I looked over the account information, gave her a paper and pen to draw with, etc. And I let her sit on a swivel chair. Well, today I took her to go get a safe deposit box, so we had to see that same woman, and Ella insisted on being taken out of the ergo to sit in the chair, and then once she was in the chair started with "Draw! Draw!" and then when I refused to let her draw, she started in with "book! book!" I was suprised that she obviously remembered so much of her previous one visit to the bank and what she did there!

I haven't read through the entire thread--y'all are a chatty bunch tonight! I'll catch up later. I have been sooooo productive this past week! I'm really happy about it! I have taken care of so much of the administrative side of moving stuff and other things that I've just been procrastinating on--got my new driver's license, registered my car in this state and got new license plates, started local bank accounts and safe deposit box, changed my cell phone number to a local one, organized a bunch of stuff around the house, decluttered my pantry cupboard in the kitchen, mailed out some things that needed to be mailed, bought postage, etc. And . . . we saw an estate attorney tonight and are taking care of the business of wills, guardianship, etc etc. Obviously nobody wants to think too much about dying or their partner dying and especially the thought of both dying and leaving a little child behind (which is probably a big part of why so many people I know who have young children "haven't gotten around to it" even though they know that they should) but it actually is feeling very freeing and empowering to face it head-on and ask the hard question of "what would happen to me/you/us" and then figure out how to take care of the situation so that everyone will be taken care of and protected regardless of the scenario. It's kind of funny because usually if you spend money on something you hope you need it or will use it--I think that estate planning and insurance are probably the only things you buy and hope that you end up wasting your money on because you'll never need them!
#243 of 287 Old 07-27-2007, 04:59 AM

Yeah, the question of "what happens to my family if I die?" is a constant biggie for me. Steve has the right to see the boys if I'm not around (he has parental responsibility) so at least Skye will still see her brothers, and in a few years then the boys will have the right to choose which dad they live with.
Amy, the half-life of staph is relatively short (it's something like 72 hours outside the body). Anything rigid and plastic, I'd wash with bleach and then boil, then give them a week on the shelf and wash again. Soft toys I'd freeze, then put through a relatively hot wash= 60 degrees, something like that. Anything wooden is going to be more difficult- I'd give them a good wash and consider rubbing down with lavender oil blended with vegetable oil. I'm talking to infection control at our local hospital a lot at the moment, as my FIL is still in hospital and has another MRSA infection (myo-something resistant staphylococcus aureus) in his leg- this time in the metal plate they put in his leg after the break.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#244 of 287 Old 07-27-2007, 05:32 AM

MRSA stands for Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. It's scary stuff.

Amy, you've gotten some great advice, especially the one that mentions only one of the children has it so it must not be too vicious. I wouldn't run around bleaching everything but I would probably wash what was washable and try not to worry about it too much.
#245 of 287 Old 07-27-2007, 11:57 AM

ALright... someone had to bring MRSA up...

My little baby cousin has it... and they are moving out here. His dad is like my best friend... but I am freaked out about him bringing the baby around me (pregnant) and my kids....

Am I right? How should I handle this? How long does it last? My cousin acts like it's no big deal and they don't even practice hygienic safety protocol with the baby. (They're more "hillbilly" kind of people. )
#246 of 287 Old 07-27-2007, 01:31 PM

What do you mean, "has" it? The vast majority of people have one or several strains of MRSA present in their body at any one moment in time, generally in the nose, sometimes mouth, sometimes ears and often open wounds. If someone is in good health- like you and me- then it doesn't pose a problem. If, on the other hand, you're 70 years old and rarely eat proper meals, the infection stands a chance to get out of control, which is what happened with my FIL.
We live with it every day of our lives, because of my FIL. We're careful and conscientious about handwashing, etc, get the carpets steamcleaned and we will be cautious with the brand new baby around him. Being honest, though, the risks under normal circumstances appear to be pretty negligible for us. It's not a virulent strain in dad's leg, and the fact that it's bound in the exudate from dad's leg ulcers protects us further

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#247 of 287 Old 07-27-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post
Kristina, I just looked at your pictures; what cute kiddlets! Your girl has the sweetest curly hair! Woody's got quite the mop top right now, which I've trimmed once to tidy up those little stringy baby flyaways, but which I'm now reluctant to mess with. What do the rest of y'all do with your babies' hair? Do you trim? Cut and style? Leave alone?.
I forgot this bit the last time I posted in my excitment. Thanks for the comments on the munchkins. At age 5 Annette has had her hair cut once and it was extremly traumatic. She had been chewing on her hair, I'm guessing she was stressed considering everything going on then. I had to cut about 6 inches off to get rid of the chewed up bit and even out the chewed off chunks! So far I have done nothing with Joseph's hair. His hair is really starting to frizz and curl as it gets longer just like mine and Annette's. I'm currently debating looking for something to tame the frizz or trim it up a bit. As much as he likes playing with his hair I'm rather against trimming it. The one thing that would have me trimming it super quick is if it were to start looking like a mullet. That just would not fly here. Thankfully it appears to be growing pretty evenly and isn't bugging his eyes yet so I'm just letting it go.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#248 of 287 Old 07-27-2007, 04:33 PM

Well, they are currently living in Minnesota and I don't know if it centered in an open wound from the tubes coming in and out of him when he was in NICU. He was born at 28 weeks... but he's now 6 months old almost.

So you steam clean your carpets when your FIL visits? Or are you saying he lives with you and you just periodically deep clean? I'm just wondering what the proper precautions are to take if they visit after we have the newborn.
#249 of 287 Old 07-27-2007, 05:41 PM

Rowan totally has a mullet :. Not much I can do about it, it's just the way it grows, and it would look worse if I cut the back, I think.

She's still pretty cute though.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#250 of 287 Old 07-27-2007, 06:16 PM

Spughy....
Wow... I just noticed Rowan was born on the same day as Isaac! What time of the day was she born?

And ladies...

My babyhawk mei tai arrived today! Isaac is in love! He cried when I put him down. I can't believe it's so comfortable at five months pregnant!
#251 of 287 Old 07-27-2007, 07:28 PM

Winter's wild hair just grows and I let it. I love little boys with long hair.
#252 of 287 Old 07-28-2007, 02:33 AM

Here's the reason I ask about hair. It's super thick and doesn't really part--it just grows down and around his face, and kind of in his eyes. I'd like to let it grow out long, but I just don't know if he has the kind of hair that that style works with, and I don't want him to be the little kid who is constantly pushing hair out of his face so he can see, play, run, talk, etc. I think I am talking myself into trimming here...

(Oh, and Amy, that is Woody's fantabulous fashion combo, minus the soaker, which I think got chosen because it was clean and dry!)
#253 of 287 Old 07-28-2007, 03:44 AM

Teresa, IME this is why little boys have daddies. Because they can be the ones who take their offspring on their first visit to the barbers (and seriously, ask around. In every town, at least over here, there is the barber shop who is supercool with children and can get the hair done with the minimum of screaming in very little time.) It depends how trimmed you want it, though- if you want the Hugh Grant flop, which I love on little boys, or if you just want the front kept out of his eyes.
I really miss the days of my boys having floppy hair I keep trying to convince them to grow it back, but without success.
Danile, we live with my FIL- that's why I spend so much time obsessing about these things. He was admitted to hospital with cellulitis and an MRSA infection when Skye was 10 days old (before we lived here), so we've spent a lot of time on the phone to infection control in the last year trying to figure out how big the risk to everyone else actually is.

#254 of 287 Old 07-28-2007, 05:14 AM

So I have gigantic news I can't bear to sit on any more. Jim and I are getting married. And soon. November 20th.
:
#255 of 287 Old 07-28-2007, 11:19 AM

Love the outfit, Woody!! He is so gorgeous, Teresa!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeytree
It's super thick and doesn't really part--it just grows down and around his face, and kind of in his eyes. I'd like to let it grow out long, but I just don't know if he has the kind of hair that that style works with, and I don't want him to be the little kid who is constantly pushing hair out of his face so he can see, play, run, talk, etc.
That's why I cut bangs in Brynn's hair, too. I think she would look so pretty without bangs, or with her hair pulled back away from her face, but she is *so* anti-ponytail or barettes. It's just not worth it for me to fight her on it, so I just trim her bangs every six weeks or so. Her hair is growing out a bit now, and I don't mind that, but it just gets to looking so stringy when it's long. We both have the curse of really fine, thin hair! I guess that's why my mom always kept my hair short as a baby/child too, come to think of it. I've actually been thinking of taking her to a stylist instead of cutting her hair myself this time around though, because no matter how hard I try, I can never really get it straight along the back. With the way it's cut now, it's so easy to take care of; we just wash and condition every 2-3 days, and then I usually blow it dry at her request - she hates the feeling of wet hair. But then it's soft and silky for a couple of days, and stays our of her face, and we don't even think about it!

DiD, congratulations! Only, I guess I am behind the times because I always thought you were already married! What ever happened with his job promotion, by the by?

DucetteMama, a Babyhawk - yum! They are gorgeous. I think I would have gotten one of those instead of an Ergo if they had clipped instead of tied. But we are still luh-huuuving our Ergo!

Well we're off to the farmer's market and then to hike. Have a good weekend, all!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#256 of 287 Old 07-28-2007, 02:23 PM

Danile - Rowan was born at about 1 am Pacific time. What time was Isaac born?

Teresa - Woody is *adorable* but I'm afraid I would trim his hair too. At some point with little ones you have to trade off "cute" for "functional".

DiD - congratulations! I thought you guys were already married too, but that's super-fabulous! I hope you have a lovely lovely wedding. I wholeheartedly approve of short engagements too - Stirling and I got engaged in July and married in October. Less time to go all stressy about it.

My darling child just slept for over 12 hours. Of course the only time she does this is when I *want* to get up relatively early and hit the market. And have playdates. She's so cute though... stumbles out of the bedroom looking like a miniature college student on a major bender. In pink pyjamas.

#257 of 287 Old 07-28-2007, 02:40 PM

Haha see that's why it's funny and sort of not a big deal because everyone always refers to us as married.
Except I am making a big deal out of it because I am totally caught up in this gigantic whirlwind of excitement.
#258 of 287 Old 07-28-2007, 07:23 PM

Hey, I knew you weren't married.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November's too soon, though, Suriya won't be walking yet, and you can't have a bridesmaid crawling down the aisle after you So, are you going white? Coloured? Civil, or religious? What do the boys think? Is Gabriel going to give you away, or will your dad do it? Will you get snow in November??? Are you still going to be in Washington then, or are you doing the move?

Enough excitement, or do you want some more?

#259 of 287 Old 07-28-2007, 07:59 PM

DID- CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I love that day... of course.:

Spughy- : My labor started at 1am.... after a nice bout of intercourse... Isaac was born at 3:42 pm on November 20th.
#260 of 287 Old 07-28-2007, 08:24 PM

See Helen we have to do it before the end of 2007 so Jim can claim all the kids on his taxes and pay back the IRS.
I think I'm going white. Goodness knows that traditionally speaking I'm not allowed to wear white but oh well. We're definitely having a civil ceremony as we are atheist. I guess my dad will give me away, though I hope so badly he's not serious about wearing his Slytherin tie or else it's not gonna be him There's not likely to be snow here in November, or any other time of year simply because it's practically unheard of here. We will still be in Washington by then mostly because I just can't plan it from 3000 miles away.

I am on the smallest wedding budget ever imagined but I am still so flippin excited.
#261 of 287 Old 07-28-2007, 08:53 PM

Hooray, DiD! How exciting! I think that getting married was kind of like being pregnant--you try to think about other things and being an all-around functional human being, but your mind just keeps going back to it, planning, working on details, visualizing... And if I had it to do all over again, I'd do it totally stripped down, too; only the closest friends and family, a dozen bottles of wine, simple food, a dress I altered from one I already owned, flowers from friends' gardens, hand-made invitations, civil ceremony with blessings from friends afterward, etc. That is so NOT the wedding I had, but if I was then the person that I am now, that's how I'd do it!

And thanks for the sweet words about my boy, mamas . I did trim his hair, just a bit, around his face. It looks OK--a little rough, maybe, but enough to pass until we go to a proper barber!
#262 of 287 Old 07-29-2007, 04:24 AM

Yeah, we eloped to Gretna Green (the Brit equivalent of Vegas- it's the first town in Scotland, and Scotland doesn't make you live there for 2 weeks before you get married.) We got engaged in Gretna too, driving through it on holiday the previous year but they couldn't get us in at such short notice.
Anyhow, aside from the fact that my eldest child blabbed and we ended up with three more guests than we'd planned, it was perfect. I've been trying to talk one of the other MDC posters into it

#263 of 287 Old 07-29-2007, 04:51 AM

It's really hard being caught up in all this excitement and then I see the prices of some things and it just bursts my bubble. My mom and dad aren't going to pay for anything and we only have a few months to pay for it all so Jim really wants to just go to the courthouse and have a justice of the peace marry us and be done with it and that just makes me so sad. I know it's not all about the ceremony but I want the fairytale wedding. Blah. I know, I'm such a spoiled brat.
#264 of 287 Old 07-29-2007, 09:21 AM

We were just in the starting to plan stages of things when I got pg with Annette. Since I ended up puking my guts out for 9 months that threw everything for a loop. I couldn't stand up and manage to walk down the steps at the place we had given a deposit so we had a big change in plans. Thankfully the place had other people wanting that date so we got our money back. When I was 30 weeks pg we went to the court house and got a marriage liscense. Then back to fil's house to round up witnesses. Then just up the street to the JP's house. Honestly at that point I was just glad to not puke during the ceremony! At that point we had talked about doing a nice ceremony later, but I don't think that is going to happen by now unless it's at 10 years or something like that!

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#265 of 287 Old 07-29-2007, 01:38 PM

We're planning the big ceremony for 20 years We do the party for our anniversary most years, though- we actually got married on twelfth night, so it's a doubly good excuse for a knees up.
DiD, in the end you need to figure out what bits of your wedding are important to you- do you want the gorgeous photos? The big reception? The fairytale entrance? What EXACTLY is it you're dreaming of? Because once you've figured out what it is, you can take it from there.

#266 of 287 Old 07-29-2007, 01:42 PM

We had a really nice very small wedding - we used our neighbour's back yard (which is separated from ours by just an ivy-covered fence with a gate in it, and had the benefit of nicer landscaping and no childrens' toys) and had the ceremony under the large rowan tree that spans both our yards. The only people in attendance were our immediate families, the neighbours, and two close friends. We hired a marriage commissioner ($100) and that was basically the only expense besides clothes. I made my wedding dress for about $100, my mom made the bridesmaid's outfits for about the same (we went with a pseudo-chinese theme, I was in a cheogsam dress in lace over satin and the bridesmaids were in chinese silk brocade cheongsam blouses and black skirts. So, total cost - less than $300 (DH already had a suit).

Then we budgeted a whole lot for a post-wedding dinner. But that part was just a fun party for our friends.

#267 of 287 Old 07-29-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
I have a wretched headache at the moment and a really annoying injury - I was peeling beets and hit a tough spot, the peeler slipped and took off about half the fingernail (the bit that actually covers the finger, not the part that grows out on top) on my left middle finger. I've got it bandaged but of course every time I wash dishes or cook or whatever stuff gets in there so I've been trying to keep it clean because it's flesh that's never meant to be exposed to anything. Plus it's incredibly painful to touch. Stupid vegetable peelers.
ouch! vegetable peelers are evil things. i had a similar injury when i was about 10. it was forever before i was willing to use a veggie peeler again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Winter's wild hair just grows and I let it. I love little boys with long hair.
me too. keagan's hair is curly and gets sooo frizzy (like mine) but i just love it long and can't bear to cut it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
So I have gigantic news I can't bear to sit on any more. Jim and I are getting married. And soon. November 20th.
:
yippee!!! and weddings on the cheap are totally possible. i haven't read the portland thread in a few days, but you might try posting there to see if there is anyone who would help with various things - i know that at least two mamas in that group are budding photographers. . . you may be able to get a great deal if you are willing to let them use some of your pics in a portfolio!

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#268 of 287 Old 07-29-2007, 05:20 PM

The date's been changed a little so my sister can be there. The new date is December 1st.
I think my mom and dad might help us a little.
#269 of 287 Old 07-29-2007, 08:51 PM

Totally unrelated to weddings, but I just had to share: my mother has yet to come out to see her only grandchild (going on 20 months) yet she has taken 3 or 4 vacations since Brynn's birth, and she just told me today that she's leaving for a 3-week vacay to Oregon tomorrow. Not that I really care to see her, mind you, but I find it copletely shocking that she has made zero effort to meet her daughter's daughter!

So DiD, have you decided about moving to your brother's?

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#270 of 287 Old 07-29-2007, 09:34 PM

Wow, Amy, I can't even imagine that... On a kind of related note, but from the opposite standpoint, sometimes I get very depressed when I think about my kids growing up. My MIL was a SAHM and gave up her career when DH came to them (he was adopted, when they got the call from the adoption agency she gave her boss 4 hours notice and didn't work again till DH was in high school). She worked so hard to provide a really wonderful, educational, fun childhood for DH and SIL, and it absolutely drives me nuts that DH never calls, visits, or remembers to get her a birthday/Christmas/Mother's Day present unless I hassle him about it. Is Killy going to be that completely indifferent to me when he's 30 years old? Will it truly appear that he doesn't give a sh!t, unless he happens to have a partner who hassles him to acknowledge my existence?

Things are going pretty well here, I'm loving summer and cooking with fresh veggies. A friend from college came to visit my sister this weekend, and it was nice seeing her. The kids are having a great time playing outside all the time. And, best of all - DH let me sleep in this morning while he cleaned house and watched the kids!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page