*Our Nov. '05 independent toddlers*--July thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 287 Old 07-01-2007, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I'd take a turn at starting this months' thread, since nobody else has jumped on it yet!

In life here, DH is coming home tonight. Yay! I have a friend here to entertain Ella while I do work, but I really don't want to work, I really desperately want to take a nap--only got 4 hours of sleep last night. There is a portabello mushroom moussaka in process that I'm going to make for dinner--I have the whole thing layered and waiting in the fridge, I just need to make the bechamel sauce, add it, and bake. (Doing that amidst many interruptions last night resulted in the lack of sleep.) So that feels good to actually do some cooking.

Ella and I had a good day yesterday running lots of errands. I went to a farmers market yesterday, and that was nice. I also met a mom/family at Wild Oats yesterday in the baby section--they have an older kid (like 3 or 4 I'd guess) and a 10 month old, and the 10 month old was wearing a cloth diaper so I had to talk to them! Anyway, they were really excited because I told them that I am *usually* a cloth diaperer too (although she's been in disposables lately due to moving and then problems with the washer.) Turns out that they have only been CDing for 3 months, and they don't know anyone else who uses cloth, so they were interested in talking about it. They mentioned that they had some excema problems with the sposies, which is why I think they made the switch. Anyway, they seemed really nice and we exchanged numbers and talked about making plans to get together. She sort of mentioned that her DH actually does all the diaper laundry, and that he's always tweaking on the wash routine and looking for the best detergent--so seems like he and DH have something in common too! It actually gave me the push to get started back with cloth diapering again, so I whipped those out yesterday when I got home. (Also, it doesn't hurt that I'm down to like the last 3 or 4 sposies and am sick of buying them!)

Well, I'm off to accomplish something while I have someone here watching the wee beastie! What is everyone (those of us in the U.S. that is, anyway) planning to do for July 4?
#2 of 287 Old 07-01-2007, 04:05 PM

Hi I'm glad your DH will be home soon (or maybe he is already by now?) and hope you get a chance to have a break soon. I'm glad you met another potential friend for yourself and Ella!

Mini rant: I am so upset. There appears to be no bras in existance that are not hideously padded, are a large stiff cone shape, massively lacey and bumpy under your shirt, or are less than a size triple-J. Am I seriously the only woman with an A-B cup who doesn't want underwire digging in, or Madonna-like pointed cones on my chest? I have been looking for months and have not found ONE bra that fits. My last two threadbare, stretched out ones bit the dust, so I literally have nothing, and stores apparently don't carry anything that's not for the very generously proportioned. Am I asking too much???????? Seriously, I'm so depressed about the state of my bosom right now- not the size of it, but the fact that it always looks bumpy and droopy because of not having a decent bra! I think there's a small-chested mamas tribe on MDC- I need to go find it! Thanks for letting me get that off my CHEST- I actually cried today.

And this is a bit upsetting but I know it'll be ok- Ez is refusing to nurse today, this is the first time this has ever happened. Of course with Ethan it happened just about daily, but Ez is so enthusiastic about it usually. He's teething, which is a rare event for him (hasn't happened since he was 11 mos!) so I am attributing it to that. It's hard to see him so upset and unable to get to sleep yet he won't nurse
#3 of 287 Old 07-01-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
Hi I'm glad your DH will be home soon (or maybe he is already by now?) and hope you get a chance to have a break soon. I'm glad you met another potential friend for yourself and Ella!

Mini rant: I am so upset. There appears to be no bras in existance that are not hideously padded, are a large stiff cone shape, massively lacey and bumpy under your shirt, or are less than a size triple-J. Am I seriously the only woman with an A-B cup who doesn't want underwire digging in, or Madonna-like pointed cones on my chest? I have been looking for months and have not found ONE bra that fits. My last two threadbare, stretched out ones bit the dust, so I literally have nothing, and stores apparently don't carry anything that's not for the very generously proportioned. Am I asking too much???????? Seriously, I'm so depressed about the state of my bosom right now- not the size of it, but the fact that it always looks bumpy and droopy because of not having a decent bra! I think there's a small-chested mamas tribe on MDC- I need to go find it! Thanks for letting me get that off my CHEST- I actually cried today.

And this is a bit upsetting but I know it'll be ok- Ez is refusing to nurse today, this is the first time this has ever happened. Of course with Ethan it happened just about daily, but Ez is so enthusiastic about it usually. He's teething, which is a rare event for him (hasn't happened since he was 11 mos!) so I am attributing it to that. It's hard to see him so upset and unable to get to sleep yet he won't nurse
hi there! i don't post much here (i was part of the oct 05 ddc but dd waited a while to make her grand appearance so she's technically a nov 05 baby) but i just wanted to let you know that i feel your pain regarding the comfortable bra issue. i was a small B pre preg and now with nursing i'm a large C, and am still having a hard time finding comfortable bras that aren't bumpy/lacy/pointy.

my favorite bra is the bella materna, i use a padded one with an underwire but they make some without. it is SO comfortable, looks smooth under clothes, clean lines, and the nursing clasp is very easy to maneuver with one hand. quality materials and they hold up great, i wear mine almost every day and i got it when dd was about 3 months old.

pricey but well worth it for a piece of clothing that you'll wear daily.

#4 of 287 Old 07-01-2007, 04:31 PM

Hi everyone!

Mary, sorry about your bra troubles. I have bra issues too but they're entirely in the other direction - is it so much to ask for to get a nice-looking bra IN that triple J size? Actually I think I'm a G cup but a DDD will do in a pinch. Still, not that much out there for us either. I am envious of all the C-cup girls.

Don't worry about Ezra not nursing, I'm sure he'll be right back on the boobie bandwagon as soon as his little teeth are sorted out. Which ones is he working on now?

Kavita, glad your DH will be home soon! It's hard managing without them isn't it?

It's Canada Day and the weather is beautiful but we haven't got much planned. DH just went out to the garden with some tin cans and some homemade ant-killer (borax & corn syrup) in a somewhat belated attempt to save my dill, and I think that's about as exciting as our day's going to get.

Rowan's started to say her name when she looks at pictures of herself ("Dowan") and she's just saying so many words now and real almost sentences. The other day she was at grandma & grandpa's and Daisy peed in their garden and then kicked dirt and grass over the spot, then settled down to chomp a stick into bits - MIL was NOT happy, she is a total neat freak and her garden is perfectly manicured. Rowan told Grandpa all about it later: "Daisy stick mess. Daddy clean!"

Oh, she just woke up. Gotta go!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#5 of 287 Old 07-01-2007, 06:22 PM

Mary check out Birth and Baby, here is a direct link to her smaller sizes - soft cup group. I get my monstrously huge size Goddess bras from her and I love the customer service! The really crazy thing to me is to see H or larger cup bras with padding in them WTF??? I don't need extra boobs I'd give some away if I could

I am still very jealous of the talkative girls, at least when Annette is in school. I'll admit to wishing for a few minutes silence on the weekends! Joseph did attempt a new word today while I was making rice krispies. While pointing at the bag he came out with "marmow, marmow." That's what I get for making junk food for the kids a barely speaking 19 month old learns a new word. My first new word when my sister started kindergarten was "cookie" while pointing at the container. I guess he got his acquisition of important words from me.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#6 of 287 Old 07-01-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

I feel everyone's pain in terms of bras. I have at least a cup size difference, so I have probably one that's a B-C cup, and the other that's a D or DD cup. I have never really been able to find bras that fit me. Or rather, that fit both sides of me. Either I have a cup that fits on the left and on the right it's a boobie muffin-top, or it fits on the right and the left is all pooching out weirdly. And of course, pregnancy and breastfeeding have accelerated the pace of gravity, so the right one is drooping rather horrifically. Sigh. Maybe we should get together and design, produce and market a better bra. I can see it now--our website will be brasforrealboobs.com!

Ella is getting one of her two year molars. Yikes! She is pretty crabby at moments. She's not consistently horrible when she's teething, but it's like when she's upset, she gets *really* upset.
#7 of 287 Old 07-01-2007, 10:13 PM

No experience here with larger cup sizes, but I'm down to a 34B, and Target has some nice non-padded, but I don't think they go down below B cup. They have a new sleeping nursing bra, though, that might work for an A cup, its very thin and there's no padding and it seems to be mostly just a stretchy material. What about Bravado bras? They have small sizes - I love mine!

Ellie's saying more and more words now, too. No sentances, yet, but two-word phrases are becoming more and more commone, which is very exciting to me! Killy was 24 months and had been in speech therapy for 4 months before he started using 2 word phrases.

Well, the tough week is over finally... We had the visitation and funeral for my papa, and while it was a sad event it was wonderful to see all the family. All seven of his children were there, as well as all 17 grandchildren! That's really amazing, I think, considering that the grandchildren range in age from about 20-40 years old and live all over the country, it was so touching that everyone came in for the funeral. Not all of the 17 great-grandchildren were there, but its hard to take little kids on cross-country trips at the last minute. Everyone was totally in love with Ellie, btw. One uncle described her as "just a lump of sugar!" because she's so sweet. Everyone was just falling over themselves to get into her good graces so she'd let them hold her - it was highly amusing! Killy charmed people, too, but he's such a wild little man that its not quite the same. People don't want to pick him and squeeze him, they want to stand back and enjoy the mayhem he creates! He actually made my poor grandmother laugh out loud for about five minutes straight by running through her house, out the front door, around the yard, into the back door, and back to the house about 6 times with my mom chasing him - and of course he was naked from the waist down and it was raining outside. We all thought they were having a great time playing until my mom came running by and said, "Can none of you catch him?!" (I'm not sure I'm doing the situation justice by writing it all out, but it was hi-larious!)

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#8 of 287 Old 07-01-2007, 11:10 PM

Hi all. Just a quickie to sub and say howdy!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#9 of 287 Old 07-01-2007, 11:20 PM

Am I the only lucky 34 B or C in this group? The bra world caters to me, I think. :

Neela had a mysterious vomiting spree Friday night, with several sheet/clothng changes and one mid-night shower. She seemed to have recovered by midday Saturday, and we had a short weekend getaway with an overnight trip to Portland. Our best friends from Eugene just moved to Portland this weekend, and we were planning to go help a bit with the moving but were delayed by the sickness. We went briefly anyways, but did more shopping than helping. I found some great organic cotton kids clothes on sale, and bought some cute new outfits.

I also got a haircut today, only my second since Neela was born. It's nice to have enough of a style that I can wear my hair down again!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#10 of 287 Old 07-02-2007, 10:53 AM

Ick. Bras I have a ginormous spot right between my boobs and everything is rubbing on it (including my daughter, who is nearly as much as a picker as her mother.)
Skye got out of bed without nursing this morning- first time ever. I know that nursing a 2yo (or older) has never been a particular goal of mine, but this whole weaning thing isn't great and I do have seriously mixed emotions about it. Oh, and I got told yesterday that she was too much of a little princess and we should stop letting her push Isaac around so much because otherwise she'll be horrible to the new baby ?!?!?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#11 of 287 Old 07-02-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
There appears to be no bras in existance that are not hideously padded, are a large stiff cone shape, massively lacey and bumpy under your shirt, or are less than a size triple-J.
I swear by Blue Canoe bras (when I wear one). The are very simply designed, unbelievably comfortable and they create a very natural, supported breast shape. (AND, they are very friendly to different-sized boobs, both because of the forgiving cuts and the tiny bit of stretch in the fabric.)

Flapjack, : presumptuous people who not only think they know how to raise your child better than you do, but who also no doubt think that they're doing the world a favor by spreading their "wisdom" unsolicited! (Yours was a timely post for me--I'm getting my head in the right place and practicing my fake smile and even faker, "Oh, wow, that's good to know!" for dh's family reunion this coming weekend.)

Melanie, poor Neela! Glad it was a quickie-illness, though. And yay for the new haircut! I cut lots of layers into mine a few weeks ago just to try something different, and was amazed that I could now wear it down--never in my life had I been able to do that with medium or long hair because of how thick it was and how much it hung in my face.

ETA: Kavita, I had to laugh at your dh's quest for the perfect cloth diaper wash system. My dh, who has much more of an artist's temperament than an engineer's, relishes the "science" of a well-washed load of dipes, and has back-up gallons of vinegar and boxes of borax (just in case!).
#12 of 287 Old 07-02-2007, 06:01 PM

That was actually my mother who is generally so cool in so many other ways, but at times it seems she plays favourites and prefers the boys to Skye- probably because they're walking and talking and sentient, whereas Skye really is just a toddler.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#13 of 287 Old 07-02-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Skye got out of bed without nursing this morning- first time ever. I know that nursing a 2yo (or older) has never been a particular goal of mine, but this whole weaning thing isn't great and I do have seriously mixed emotions about it.
Helen, I know exactly how you feel. Well, mostly - nursing a 2yo IS a goal of mine, but I had to be ok with weaning before that when I went off the domperidone. It's not been an issue though, and things are going pretty well in that department, but last week for the first time ever Rowan didn't run up to me as soon as I got home and demand boobies. For 3 days in a row. I thought we were done with that, but then on Friday it was like the past few days had never happened - as soon as I walked in the door, she was all "boobies BOOBIES MORE BOOBIES". So don't count on that morning nurse being gone for good.

I'm working today. It's a holiday but I'm way behind on my last project (thanks, MDC) and I need to get caught up. It's time for a break though. DH has Rowan at his parent's place while he changes the oil in our car so I am going to pop over to the coffee shop and have a nice decaf iced coffee and some cheeeeesecake. Mmm. And pick up some veggies to make soup for dinner.

ETA: just remembered, a while back someone asked if Rowan was a serious child. (HoneyTree was that you?) She's not, she just gets this fabulously blank look on her face when we point a camera at her, if she notices the camera. Now, she is starting to get the idea when we ask her to smile, but she scrunches up her face and it's really more of a painful grimace than a smile. So, a lot of pictures with the blank face. She's actually quite lively and humourous most of the time. She has a cute giggle and she's very affectionate and kissy. I don't think she really fits the definition "serious".

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#14 of 287 Old 07-02-2007, 07:52 PM

Happy Canada Day one day late (oops!) (DH is Canadian, and his mother was in town for it).

And Happy July to everyone else!

Our big news is that Finley, for the first time, has gone off with someone else! (My MIL). It has been amazing. DH and I got to see our first movie together since he was born on Saturday afternoon. Bliss. And also bittersweet. He has gone off with her with No Problem, such a difference from a few months ago, and even one week ago with MIL. We're going to FL in a few weeks to see my parents, and we're looking forward to another movie date, as I'm quite confident he'll happily go off with my parents, whom he has been more comfortable with in general since his birth than my MIL.

We are all back to our health around here, too, which is lovely. What a nasty spell we had.

And, last but not least, I'm paranoid that I could be pregnant, though I realize the chances are quite low. We have been "planning" to wait til Finley was at least 3 to TTC, but there is always a part of me that secretly would love to be pregnant now. So, I'll keep you all posted. I won't be able to test til next week. I feel completely mixed about it.
The best part is that DH seems totally fine with it if I am, so there's that, at least. Even though I"m fine either way, I"m driving myself crazy with the 2WW!

Off for now, and more soon!
#15 of 287 Old 07-02-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
That was actually my mother ...
: Helen, I am so sorry! I should never have posted that; I'm all stirred up about dh's reunion, and that comment was much more about me and my issues than it was about your situation. I'm a rotten and judgmental person. (But I am mildly comforted by the array of choices I had of smilies that conveyed the various sentiments associated with a social blunder.) :
#16 of 287 Old 07-03-2007, 02:12 AM

quickie post just to sub. not much time, sorry. good news is that we made it home in one piece from las vegas, where it was 109 degrees :

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#17 of 287 Old 07-03-2007, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I am so astonished by this that I just need to post it somewhere. Xeowyn slept through the night, in his pak 'n play bed thing at the foot of our bed, for the very 1st time in his life last night!!! He usually asks for "boo-ah" several times every night, & never stays in his bed at the foot of ours for very long at all (IF at all). It was sooooooo nice to be able to stretch out & not be in that side-lying crampy position half the night. AND, it is *exactly* what I'm hoping happens more by the time the belly babe comes!

Wow, what a milestone. Now watch he won't do it again for 37.8 months.

Which reminds me, I'd been wanting to ask you guys, now that we have talkers, what do your kidlets call the booby/milk/breastfeeding? And I saw someone ask in last month's thread whether any of us are still breastfeeding our shortlings to sleep for the night, & I just wanted to say "me!". Xeowyn's never gone to sleep without either the boob (the boo-ah. ) or being in the car seat.

My nipples have just recently started getting sore. Ouchy. And I'm pretty sure my supply has decreased now (I'm 15 weeks along). But Xeowyn's still an active nurser. I hope we make it to the end of my pregnancy just fine! :

Bras. Hey I'm a 34b normally. Probably a C now though. And I have such a sad collection of bras I can wear now. Actually, I only have ONE nursing bra, a Bravado. I have been wearing it 97% of the past 2 years. Blah.

Hmm. A whole post about my boobs. How nice.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#18 of 287 Old 07-03-2007, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
Which reminds me, I'd been wanting to ask you guys, now that we have talkers, what do your kidlets call the booby/milk/breastfeeding? And I saw someone ask in last month's thread whether any of us are still breastfeeding our shortlings to sleep for the night, & I just wanted to say "me!". Xeowyn's never gone to sleep without either the boob (the boo-ah. ) or being in the car seat.
Ella calls it "num-nums". This is divine retribution for me being judgmental about people on this very site who call it "num-nums"--I remember thinking that this was a rather horrifyingly stupid thing to call breastmilk/nursing. I always just said "milk" when I asked her when she was an infant, and she would sometimes say, "Mih" and would consistently sign milk from the time she started signing. But then sometimes I would give her solids and ask her, "Is that yummy?" or say, "Umm, yummy." And that was the end of it. She started asking for "num-nums" quite on her own. Thus now I will often be found discussing or negotiating "num-nums". As in, (insert calm, rational parent voice here), "Yes, honey, I will give you num-nums, but first we have to finish changing your diaper and then go brush your teeth. Then we'll go to bed and have num-nums." Argh. The weird thing is that she calls other milk (as in cow milk or goat milk) "dadoosh." I have no idea how she exactly arrived at this, other than I would call it "goat milk". My sister thinks it sounds like she's saying "dog juice."

And yes, Ella nurses to sleep most of the time at night, sometimes wakes up and nurses although mostly she sleeps through the night, and she always co-sleeps. We don't even have a bed for her anymore (we had a twin bed but gave it to a good friend of ours when his waterbed sprung a leak!) I don't always nap with her, and often she's alone in bed for the first part of the night. But most of the time I have to nurse her to sleep, unless DH rocks/pats her and I'm nowhere around, or she falls asleep in the car and is successfully transferred into the bed, or once in a great while she'll nurse till she's sleepy but awake and then turn over and go to sleep.

Speaking of which, she's awake now. Gotta go!
#19 of 287 Old 07-03-2007, 05:44 AM

Teresa, you didn't put your foot in your mouth- my mother did that : Generally, the rest of the world know better than to mess with me, but my mother, especially when she's had a drink with dinner sometimes forgets her manners.

Zjande, Skye has no word for breastfeeding, she just throws herself into position, removes my clothes and looks up expectantly She hasn't been doing that so much recently though. Congratulations on the sleepy babe

Barcelona May you have the best possible outcome, whatever that may be.

#20 of 287 Old 07-03-2007, 02:39 PM

Helen, weaning a child at any age will mess with your hormones. With your pg hormones already in full swing it's not likely to be any easier, sorry. Everyone knows I'm all for clw. Even when Annette weaned at 4+ after nursing through a pg and sorta tandem nursing for a bit I was still sad. It's closing a chapter in their lives that can never be regained.

On the other hand I was about ready to throw a party on her first day at summer school. An entire 8 hours without having her talk my ears off! I have to admit to being very bad and laughing at some of the advice the school gave us about dropping her off for her first day of kindergarten. Their little booklet talks about parents crying and clinging to the kids and the kids crying. First day of school mine was running in the door and barely stopped to say bye to us

We are in the middle of a mess here. Dh just got finished ripping out our old shower and is gone to the dump. Hopefully in the next couple hours he and the guy he works with will have things settled enough he can get the new one tiled tomorrow. In the meantime there is dust everywhere! I just swept up all shorts of bits of tile, plaster, wood, brick and I don't want to know what. Lots of hazards for little feet. However our landlord is proving what a good guy he is. Not only is he letting dh do the work on the shower in exchange for rent, but he put us up in a hotel last night and at least tonight so we can get cleaned up! The hotel is nicer then any we have been able to afford in a few years now so it's nice to have break that way. It also has a pool and I made Annette a tankini this morning so I am taking the kids that way to go swimming when she gets home from school. Hopefully me and 2 kids in the pool goes well! I hope all the US mommies and kidlets have a great 4th tomorrow and that everyone is having a great summer.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#21 of 287 Old 07-03-2007, 03:58 PM

Helen, shame on your MIL! I wish people would just keep their pie-holes shut! This morning, Brynn and I went to the post office to pick up our new Signing Time CDs, and we opened the package in the post office lobby. I showed her the cases, and she got really excited and started stomping her feet. Well, this old guy walked by right as she was doing that and said, "You'd better make her shape up!" or something like that. I didn't say anything because I totally couldn't figure out what he was talking about, and then I realized a minute later that he must have thought she was throwing a fit or something, and he needed to step in and give me advice about how to handle her!!! I wish I'd figured that out sooner because I sure would have loved to have told him to shut the fuck up, thanks. People are SO annoying.

Anyhoo! We had a busy and fun weekend. I don't remember what all we did, other than the fact that DH and I had a date on Sunday evening. It was so relaxing and nice! I am really digging this babysitting swapping we're doing with our friend! If any of you can swing it, I would definitely recommend it.

I'm not totally sure what we're doing tomorrow, but it may involve meeting up with Kavita, her DH, and Ella for an "old fashioned fourth festival" in our area. I would like Brynn to see the fireworks if possible. How bout y'all?

So here's a What-Would-You-Do scenario for your consideration:
A friend of mine (not very close, but someone I roommated with for one year of grad school) is getting married on August 4th in Tennessee, and we RSVP'd months ago that we would go. Since DH has started his new job, though, he's figured out that he would only be able to take one vacation day off for this little trip, making it a lot of driving and money for a wedding that I'm not totally motivated to go to (we won't know anyone other than the bride and groom). It wouldn't even be much of a mini-vacay for us, because we'd probably only have a few hours on Saturday and maybe a couple of hours on Sunday to do stuff that we want to do.

On the other hand, if I cancel going to the wedding, I could take Brynn on a little vacay to see two of my best friends; one in Chattanooga, and Littlemomma in Athens GA. Of course I would definitely prefer the latter! But I'm just wondering if it would be too horrible to back out of going to the wedding. I know my friend would be disappointed, but I also think she wouldn't even really notice if we weren't there. Ya know?

Any thoughts?

SKristina, so glad your landlord is being an awesome person and working with you!!

Aubrey, that is AWE.SOME. Seriously, that rocks!! I can't wait for us to have one of those nights!! Brynn's back to waking ~4 or more times per night, and I'm just attributing it to her two top molars coming in. Either way, it's been a hard week!

As for what our kids are calling the milk supply, Brynn calls it Milkie Time, or Mama Milkie, and she calls cow milk "cow milk." She never called it nursies or num-nums, but she does love to tell me what other babies call it. After we've spent time with Kavita and Ella, she will say, "I want num-nums, Mama. That's what Ella says."

And regarding the boob topic....UGH. Mine are about 34E, but I squoosh them into a 34DDD and still have some bubbling up out of the cup. Super attractive! My bras are pretty good - just Victoria's Secret Body by Victoria, I think. Underwire, lightly padded (so my nips don't show under t-shirts). No bells or whistles, which is how I like it. I'm just so sick of them! I told DH that after Brynn stops nursing and my breasts get smaller (which I *pray* they will), I will be able to get some sexy or cute bras! Actually though, I did see some nice plain ones at Frederick's of Hollywood (in my size, which is really hard to find) for like $24 each, so I should just get some already. I gave up on nursing bras LONG ago. I couldn't find *one* that fit me. I used to be a perfect 34C, and man I sure did have some awesome breasts in my past life! I kind of thought they were big before, but compared to now, they look tiny.

barcelona, that's great that you and DH had a movie date, and I *totally* understand the bittersweet feelings. It's heavy, huh? And wow about the possible !! I hope whatever way it turns out, you are at peace.

OK, have to go unload the rest of the groceries while she's napping.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#22 of 287 Old 07-04-2007, 04:14 AM

Happy 4th to you all !!!
Amy, my MIL is 6 foot under, and is Skye's guardian angel- we can feel her in Skye's bedroom. This was MY mum Personally, I'd cancel the wedding if it's going to be that much hassle to get to, but invite the newly weds over for a weekend visit later in the year.

#23 of 287 Old 07-04-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Zjande, Skye has no word for breastfeeding, she just throws herself into position, removes my clothes and looks up expectantly
Be back later, getting ready for the parade, but wanted to throw in a : That is hilarious, Helen!
#24 of 287 Old 07-04-2007, 12:03 PM

Amy, I'd skip the wedding, too. I agree with you that she'll probably be disappointed, but otherwise will have PLENTY of other stuff to be concerned with. If your conscience is tugging at you, maybe just send a really nice or personalized wedding gift with a special note? I play out in my mind that scenario you described in the post office all the time. Mostly I hope that I'll give people puzzled or "you're crazy" looks, but sometimes I imagine trying to engage them in dialogue and watching them either become enlightened or slink off to their cars sorry to have said anything. I'm finding that I'm so sensitive to carrying around negative energy lately that I have to "practice" much mellower responses than I would have had in my more confrontational youth.

So about boobs, I am having a hardish time, too, feeling like these 18mo.+ nursing boobs are "me." It's so hard to separate yourself from your body, and especially hard to de-program all the negativity associated with anything BUT young, pert breasts. And I don't know if I posted about this as it was happening (it was during my crazy schoolyear), but my sister got a double masectomy earlier this year from breast cancer. And I look at her, and think, Wow, her choice was between survial and "perfect" boobs! And I know in her situation I would have made the same decision. So I'm trying hard to love my lumpy, saggy, heavy, wonky boobs for what they are and what they do for me instead of what I remember them as.

And on a "lighter" note (ha): We are indeed trying to track down some fireworks. I love fireworks, but I love them from a distance--we're among the folks who try to find the parking lot a little away from the park where you can see everything but not have to battle the crowds.

Kavita, Woody has spontaneously picked up "numnums" too! And we ONLY say real words for each food item. I wonder if it is a version of "some," because we do say that a lot for bites and such.

And we have a little noun/verb confusion with nursing. When he's ready to nurse, Woody points to or grabs my boob (not too happy about that part) and says, "Urse?" But then he'll point at my nipple and say, "urse," too, as in, that's what comes out. So I guess that's what we call the whole nursing/milk deal.
#25 of 287 Old 07-04-2007, 04:56 PM

Amy - I'd ditch the wedding too. But I'm kind of anti-big-wedding anyhow. I expect my friends to be grateful to me for saving them money when I decline wedding invitations.

Kristina - wow you are brave, tackling reno projects like that with little ones around! And it sounds like Annette is a very secure little handful

Zjande - yay sleeping!

Teresa - I'm sorry about your sister, I hope she's doing ok. And just think, however wonky your boobs are, at least they're doing what they were designed for!

More on the boob thing: my boobs actually haven't changed noticeably since having a baby. That's not a good thing. They've always been saggy droopy jungle boobies. I'm just used to them now. Some days I think I'll get plastic surgery when I'm done nursing babies, some days I think I should accept them as part of me. But they preclude me wearing a lot of really cute clothes and that just seems mean. We don't have a very good relationship, my boobies and me.

BTW Rowan's word for nursing is "boobies". And this is totally my fault, it's what I've called it from the start. Frankly I don't care if she pipes up loudly in a public place asking for boobies. I'm all about reclaiming naughty words.

So our sort-of-news is that I have been sleeping with Rowan for the past 3 or 4 nights and - get this - actually getting enough sleep. We finally got around to pushing the bed against the wall - that certainly helps, I'm no longer worried about her falling out of bed - and I started taking a gravol or two before bed. I know it's bad. But it just knocks me out that little bit more so I don't wake up every time she turns over.

Last night was great. She slept soundly from 9 pm to 5:30 am. I went to bed at 10 and was out until 5:30 too, then we slept (more or less) all cuddled together until 7:30.

ETA: crap. I had a sneaking suspicion that this was the case... gravol has a similar effect on milk supply as other antihistamines. Well, so much for that.

#26 of 287 Old 07-04-2007, 06:59 PM

hey babes and babes!

its july and so friggin hot. i dont think that there is any oxygen left to breathe. we are oin kamloops.. the big city around herer.. its almost a 1.5 hour drive from our small town of little fort im wsorking a ton at the motel/food stand. i hate it...ive never spent more time scrubbing toilets and sinks and tubs in my life.. but its a job and the kiddos come see me since its just a minuite away and then they get free icecream
its weird working away from home. actual;ly i really dont mind the cooking/icecream scooping.. but i have to do it all..so yeah.

i had a very bad moment last night when ngaio dumped an entire bowl of cereal on my lap at 10pm (after many hiurs of whining and other incidents..it wasnt a great day for us)and i threw a handful of wet cereal in her face. i feel like such a spazz. i was ready to turn myself into the police station for being a child abuser. i dont know what got into me at all. elwynn and ngaio both started to cry and yeah. i feel like a pretty big bad mom today. youi all dont have to flame me since im flaming myself enough.
sheesh. somtimes i wonder where my sanity is.

so....thats my sad update. today is a better day.

love you all.

oh yeah..and ngaio is night weened!! and mostly sleeping in her own bed. YAY!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#27 of 287 Old 07-04-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
youi all dont have to flame me
No judgment, Mama. Not from your comrades! Woody stabbed me in the back of the thigh with a sharp metal edge a few days ago (which I realize I shouldn't have left in his reach) while I was at the sink doing dishes and I actually whirled around and roared at him--crazy eyed, red faced, big voiced scream--both out of pain and frustration.

Sometimes, like when I'm reading something really heady, it's easy to forget that I'm a primate doing the best I can with no tribe and no fur. Other times, mostly toddler times, it's not!

Spughy, what about a glass of wine before bed? Sometimes I do that to help me fall asleep if I can't get my brain to wind down, but I've never noticed if it helps me stay asleep...
#28 of 287 Old 07-04-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeytree
Sometimes, like when I'm reading something really heady, it's easy to forget that I'm a primate doing the best I can with no tribe and no fur. Other times, mostly toddler times, it's not!
I love this! SO true...

Fern: I've had those moments too. I think we all have. Especially when there were sleep woes or transitions happening in our life patterns. Right before Isa started sleeping through the night, we had some ROUGH days. But it's all good now, we both grew out of it!

Hi all! Happy Independence day... today, celebrate how you are personally independent... you are a happy and free being, CHEERS!
#29 of 287 Old 07-05-2007, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritmomma View Post
Fern: I've had those moments too. I think we all have. Especially when there were sleep woes or transitions happening in our life patterns.
Yep. Count me in. I have had some moments that were very, uh, not gentle. I think the best we can do is try to be gentle with not only our kids but ourselves when that sort of thing happens. I think you just have to try to apologize, then kind of put it behind you and move on and parent the best you can.
#30 of 287 Old 07-05-2007, 03:57 AM

She used to call it "milk", but lately asks for "nursing". And "other side"

And we're also co-sleeping and nursing to sleep; though DH puts her to sleep on evenings that I work (or tries... the last couple evenings have been a struggle). If I'm at home, though, there is no sleep without nursing down. And since we're talking about sleep, she woke and nursed 10 times the other night. No kidding. We have "good" nights though, where we only nurse three or four times... I keep fantasizing about nightweaning, but I think I'm too tired to do anything right now.

Fern, we've all been there, I think.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page