June 2006 Mamas - July Chat Thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LeighAnne, I am with you 1,000,000,000 % on the Caillou irritation. Blech!

Jess, congrats on the new walker! Talula's not interested. I bought her an adorable pair of Pedipeds though...look at all these rad ones for boys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007, 11:22 PM

Ooh, I think I want to get these ones for Lu for the holidays.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
Whaaaaat.....rolls down stairs, alone or in pairs,
and over your neighbor's dog?

It's good for a snack, it sits on your back,
it's log, log, log.

It's laaaahg, it's laaaaahg; it's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's laaaaahg, it's laaaahg; it's better than bad, it's good!

Everyone wants a log;
You're gonna love it, log;
Come on and get your log;
Everyone needs a log;

it's log....log....log....log [whistling]

(for those non-R&S fans, the above is sung to the Slinky jingle)

**Coincidentally, I've been singing this song in my head on and off for a few weeks now; Donovan got a new Thomas Take Along set that has a log splitter, and every time he says "mommy, I'm splitting logs!" I start singing it again. It's one of my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
: : Helen, can I commission you to write ME a cool sig? You could start a business.

So, Le Child walked today. ! First, he walked 4 steps, and all 3 of us (DH, SS, and I) kind of stared in awe. He kept working on it, and eventually walked all the way across the room! I think it will take a few days for it to become customary, but it's exciting. Tomorrow we have to go buy him shoes. Anything I should know?
yay! i just buy shoes that are cute and fit.

candice, those shoes are adorable! i love the aidan, or the braedan in navy...or the brown tylers. fun!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 07-24-2007, 11:33 PM

Nevie just got a new pair of Pedipeds, too! She crawls so fast that she burns holes through the toes of Robeeez, and Ped's aren't that much more $$, and WAYY cuter (and so much effin' easier to put on, darnit). She got the Giselles. Still in the 6-12 month size... next size up were like boats, dude.

Selesai -- the main thing to think about with toddler shoes is to keep it as close to barefoot as possible. All those little tiny muscles, ligaments, fascia, etc... they need to develop in the most unrestricted manner possible. If you can't REALLY easily twist the shoe around in your hand -- like, effortlessly -- then don't bother. There's a whole bunch of stiff crap out there that should just be thrown away.

Ahhhh, The Log Song. Dan sings that all the time. It was also featured on a recent VH1 "I Love the 90's" episode that I watched while folding laundry (while nevie was at school). My Bad Mom TV (i.e, when nevie was in front of it, too) was some guilty pleasure Jane Austen movies and the PBS Anne of Green GAbles movies. I figure... the camera shots are slower, so there aren't as many twinkling lights, right? And the stories are good, right? So... I'll stick to those for now and not feel like Nevie's chances at the Ivy League are too impaired.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Tomorrow we have to go buy him shoes. Anything I should know?
You should be able to fold it in half with your hand - nothing more rigid than that, they still need to be able to "feel" the floor. SPeaking of, I need ot get my gal some new shoesies, her robeez are trashed from when she was still crawling and we would be out on the deck often. I've heard godo things about Pedoodles and See Kai Run. But have been otld that anything you can fold in half with your hand is flexible enough.

Gooooooooo le babe!!!!

ETA: Duuhhhhhh, I should have read everyone else's replies before doign my own, then I could ahve just stuck with the recommendation instead of repeating everything. Oooh, but I did want to point out that my "fold them in half" thing led me to be able to but a pair of super cute sandals at target over the summer for like, $8. I folded them with no problem, so they were definitely flexible enough.,...just so you know you don't have to spend $30 on a pair of shoes. Off to browse pediped now....:

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Old 07-24-2007, 11:45 PM

Yeah, I had to change my sig because I just realized that my birth wasn't a c-section, but merely Harper honoring her own monster survival instincts and hatching with the help of her talons.

Caillou sucks! My nephew looooves that little bugger.

Katie's so cute! Love the bathing suit.

Jessica, so now your kid says Hi AND walks AND has more hair than my kid?

Shoes - we have some See Kai Run, which aren't as flexible as I like, some Robeez, and some Tip Toey Joeys, which are more flexible, like those a lot. I think Vincent makes some cute shoes too. And Pedipeds. There's also Preschoolians.

Oh, and.... There's no dog, but there IS a baboon!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
some guilty pleasure Jane Austen movies.
I just watched the Greer Garson/Laurence Olivier version of Pride & Prejudice for the zillionth time over the weekend. :

oh, and re: teletubbies, thomas, etc. Though he loves the Thomas trains and playing with them, he doesn't know that there's a TV show about them because I don't want him watching it based on a few Thomas books we saw and I hated the interactions, and heard the TV show was similar. Same deal with Bob the Builder, I don't like him watching that a lot either...and I can't take Caillou, he's SO whiny. Nails on a chalkboard. I gotta say, even though Disney is : here on MDC, I like the Playhouse Disney morning programming. The lineup is very gentle, there's not a lot of talk about characters being "good" or "bad" or naughty or anything like that, there are just the lessons there in the outcome of the shows, so itlines up with my GD phiolsophies pretty well. SO there's my plug in case anyone gets too annoyed by the PBS morning lineup and has cable. Aside from the sell out Wiggles' newest series and the Higglytown Heros (which both make me want to gag cause they suck, but aren't really "objectionable"), the lineup on Disney in the mornings is pretty good. I know I'm totally in the MDC minority in that I don't exercise a ton of restrictions on amounts of TV in my household . But I'm OK with that. : Oh, and all that is for DS - DD still isn't watching TV other than a glimpse here or there, I keep her occupied elsewhere when it's on.

Carry on.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Whaaaaat.....rolls down stairs, alone or in pairs,
and over your neighbor's dog?

It's good for a snack, it sits on your back,
it's log, log, log.

It's laaaahg, it's laaaaahg; it's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's laaaaahg, it's laaaahg; it's better than bad, it's good!

Everyone wants a log;
You're gonna love it, log;
Come on and get your log;
Everyone needs a log;

it's log....log....log....log [whistling]

By Blammo!

Shoes... we have a lot of robeez type, and shoes that I made like robeez, and a pair of pumas (not wearing yet) and a pair of pedoodles (the ruby janes) which she's not ready for yet.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:00 AM

Um. Searched Amazon, Kids & Baby, for shoes and clicked on one of the brands and came up with this.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
I just watched the Greer Garson/Laurence Olivier version of Pride & Prejudice for the zillionth time over the weekend. :
"He is so... so... supericilious." BWAAHHH!!! That version cracks my butt up. Especially the castoff "Gone With the Wind" costumes (seriously -- they were).

I'm a 1995 Firth/Ehle fan, but I wish I could transplant Donald Sutherland and Brenda Blethyn as the elder Bennets over to that version.

And that's not baby-related a'tall... just a bad obsession. My only other bulletin board vice is www.pemberley.com

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Um. Searched Amazon, Kids & Baby, for shoes and clicked on one of the brands and came up with this.
uuuuuuuuuummmmmmmm...............no.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 07-25-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Awesome! You can get a head start on the promsicuity!
Old 07-25-2007, 12:21 PM

Thanks for all of the shoe suggestions. DH wants to go to STride Rite, which I'm cool with, but he says he can buy them without me and I think that's just wrong. I mean, it's my first kid's first shoes! Dweeb.

As for the Ren and Stimpy lyrics... I used to watch R&S but don't have a memory for the songs. Let me ask you who do have such a memory: what important things are you forgetting in your life so that you can remember such silliness? Do you know your children's birthdays? Their names? Can you still hop on one foot?

Helen-- with that take on Harper's birth, it makes me wonder why you needed a doctor at all. Couldn't she have just horned herself out? (ouch.)

And yes, my kid CAN say HI and Walk and has hair. But your kid can read Shakespeare, so I think we're about even.

Sarah, forgot to say like 14 pages ago. I don't deliver at UMD, I deliver at Anne Arundel (in Annapolis), which is nearer to my home.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sarah, forgot to say like 14 pages ago. I don't deliver at UMD, I deliver at Anne Arundel (in Annapolis), which is nearer to my home.
ah...got it.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:20 PM

We still mostly use robeez.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
Old 07-25-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
As for the Ren and Stimpy lyrics... I used to watch R&S but don't have a memory for the songs. Let me ask you who do have such a memory: what important things are you forgetting in your life so that you can remember such silliness? Do you know your children's birthdays? Their names? Can you still hop on one foot?
I know we're supposed to only be using 10% of our brains, but I think I have an additional few percentage points allotted specifically for song lyrics and otherwise useless crap...cause I think I'm a relatively competent individual (using my 10% fairly well), but I have this bizarre capacity to remember song lyrics and idiotic movie and TV lines. Sometime I even surprise myself. Jason says I could clean up on those new lyrics game shows...and I not only can hop on one foot, I can also rub my head and pat my belly/vice versa. : oh yeah, I'm a great catch.

Note: I DO have to have birthdays and anniversaries outside of my immediate family written down somewhere or I forget them...

Old 07-25-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I know we're supposed to only be using 10% of our brains, but I think I have an additional few percentage points allotted specifically for song lyrics and otherwise useless crap...cause I think I'm a relatively competent individual (using my 10% fairly well), but I have this bizarre capacity to remember song lyrics and idiotic movie and TV lines. Sometime I even surprise myself. Jason says I could clean up on those new lyrics game shows...and I not only can hop on one foot, I can also rub my head and pat my belly/vice versa. : oh yeah, I'm a great catch.

Note: I DO have to have birthdays and anniversaries outside of my immediate family written down somewhere or I forget them...
Ha ha ha!

Philip's new shoes

DH bought them w/o me, but I gave phone consent.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:

Philip's new shoes

DH bought them w/o me, but I gave phone consent.
CUTE! We buy stride rites for DS...I actually need to get him a new pair of sneaks anyway, and I was browsing some of the stride rite girl shoes (cute!!!).....there's a shop right down the parkway from us.....hmmmmmm..... I liiiiiiiiike theeeeeeese.

Candice, I'm also entertaining some of the ones from the link you posted.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
uuuuuuuuuummmmmmmm...............no.
Oh my!

Mine are not fans of shoes at all. They even take them off at school.

Our favorite toy today is the duster .

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
Old 07-25-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
CUTE! We buy stride rites for DS...I actually need to get him a new pair of sneaks anyway, and I was browsing some of the stride rite girl shoes (cute!!!).....there's a shop right down the parkway from us.....hmmmmmm..... I liiiiiiiiike theeeeeeese.

Candice, I'm also entertaining some of the ones from the link you posted.
Those are super cute!

So I must be a huge cheeseball because it actually makes me want to cry, thinking of my little monkey boy walking! :
Old 07-26-2007, 01:25 PM

We're slacking on the job here, ladies...or NOT slacking on the job...

Talula and I worked at a fruit stand yesterday. Our neighbor needed me to fill in for her. It was totally fun and the neighbor gave me a jar of pure apricot preserves and two jars of pure applesauce. I'm having the apricot on vanilla yogurt with granola. Yum. Lu is having applesauce. I think we are on the BRAT diet. She ate three plums the day before yesterday, plus a peach yesterday, and well, it ain't pretty. But she kept screaming for another plum after she finished each one. I finally had to just say, "Um, no, you can't have a fourth plum." And sleep last night was not stellar, maybe because of her sore stomach, maybe because of teething...

Anyway, I'm sure you wanted to know all about our bowels. Mine are fine, thank you.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:52 PM

SPeaking of poop. Ruby has been eating so many blueberries that not only is her poop blue, but it smells like blueberries. If it wasn't poop, I'm sure it would be delicious.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Molar #2 is through.

15 month WBV today. 21lb7 1/2oz, 31". 25th% for weight, 65-75th for height. Physically (development) she's 15 months, but socially she's at least 18 months.

Ped said, "why don't you want to give her any vaccinations today? She's already had all of these shots twice. What changed?" "I started reading." "Oh. Well, why don't you bring me what you've been reading, and we can discuss it?" "Sure. See you in 3 months." So, not the inquisition I was expecting, which is good.

Our ped is funny, because he gets very uncle-y with me. "I'm so proud of you for taking such good care of these babies! Most parents of multiples are in here at least once a month with one illness or another! What do you do to keep them so healthy?" "Boob juice and a fairly clean house. That's about it." "Ah. Ok."

Leaving for the beach earlyearlyearly Saturday morning. CAN.NOT.WAIT.

Must get back to reading Deathly Hallows. Buh bye!

Old 07-26-2007, 11:37 PM

Hey ladies..and babies (toddlers). We have been MIA, but I just read through this whole thread. I don't know how you all do it, I am beat by the time everyone is in bed and I can't even imagine jumping on here!

William is an angel (well most of the time). I am sorry to say he seems to have the night wakings as well. He stays up for hours at a time. But all is good.

Man, I thought I had a few minutes but my 2 year old just came over and said "Mommy, nap time, turn off". Now he is falling asleep at my feet. Must go put him to bed...

Hope you all are well!!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:07 AM

I finished Harry Pooper! I died in the end. :

We had a close shave outside earlier. Harper ran up and grabbed this piece of old mill equipment that was left in the park as public art, and she found a wasp's nest under it and started poking it. So wasps rushed out and started flying around, and Ryan ran over and grabbed her before I could even react. Nobody got stung. I told him that's how he knows he's a dad, because he did it without even thinking. And I need to get my eyes checked again, because I have lost my glasses and couldn't even see there was a nest from where I was. Doh. She freaked out and cried because she got grabbed, but it could have been worse.

Then we ran into her BFF from story hour, and they ran around terrorizing each other, and then dogs came by, and they both had heart attacks from joy.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:07 AM

Helen about heart attacks from joy. Talula has them 50,000 times daily when we see chickens or cats or dogs or horses or cows or pigs or sheep or goats. I'm all, "Geez, you see them every day," but she still acts like it's the first time she ever saw them, like 50 First Dates.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:13 PM

Interesting poopage from fruits-- we have that too. Also, corn. Because Philip loves corn on the cob and it really keeps him busy, so I let him have two cobs and boy, that wasn't fun. I think that sort of intestinal stuff makes his sleep more restless.

Yesterday we went to Red Robin and the big red bird came up to us. Philip started crying and trying to climb out of his high chair onto me. The bird went away, I held him on my lap, and he kept peeking around my shoulder to spy on it. Occassionally he would point accusingly. It was rather amusing.

Helen, re: heart attacks of joy-- ours are signaled by this primal open mouthed screech. Argh, it's hard on the ears!

Also, Philip likes the pool now.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:19 PM

Oh. And Wednesday I come home to find out that Philip has broken the power cord to the laptop (which we were going to sell) and has twisted one of the sides off of DH's (expensive) glasses. DH was all in a tiff. I bit my tongue, but inside I was like, well, who was watching him while he acted like DestructoBaby?

Hopefully the optometrist will fix the glasses for free. Laptop may be a lost cause.

Babies are expensive.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:06 PM

You all suck! How am I supposed to avoid doing work if no one will chat with me?

Anyway, DH decided to extend the breastmilk by putting some water with it, because we would otherwise give him water. I can't really see any drawbacks to this. ?
Old 07-27-2007, 03:12 PM

have you thought about mixing the breastmlk with oat mlk or almond milk? a little more nutrition than water...

User Tag List