June 2006 Mamas - July Chat Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 366 Old 07-05-2007, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Amy!!!!!!!!!!!! : We like uh-oh too.

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#92 of 366 Old 07-05-2007, 11:33 PM

helen - LOL, i am so w/you on the spidey sense. give it some time, somebody is bound to drive by (no pun intended) w/some sagely advice.

fireant - me too! i'm always waiting for someone to yell at me in a parking lot or when we're driving...

candice - amen to that rant!

mikey is big into "no" (even when he means yes) i have pics in my blog (link in my sig), he also puts his hand to his head like a phone whenever he hears a phone ring which is just about every 5 min b/t the TV, radio, our actual phones ringing and all the folks w/cell phones out and about these days...he also still loves to vacuum, sweep w/a broom and 'clean' with a dish rag.

jessica - when i went to 2, we got a second queen bed. either i slept w/both kids and dh slept on his own or we each slept with one. when i had 3 kids, sometimes i even slept with all 3 or i'd sleep w/2 and dh w/1. just b4 i had mikey, my older 2 girls decided they wanted their own room, so they started sleeping on their own and mikey w/me and our youngest girl w/dh. it doesn't work for everyone, but i have to admit i *love* our sleeping arrangements. it's really hard for me to sleep in the same bed w/dh now, he snores and it doesn't bother my dd3 at all, but i can't stand it! LOL

no nightweaning here, i'm down to pumping once/day while at work though, sometimes twice, but usually just once. but at night he's on the ruby schedule, 3 hrs or so b/t boobings, 10-12 hrs in bed all told, sometimes one, sometimes two naps, usually no more than 2 hrs total combined...but he's not up quite so early thankfully he's usually 9pmish-7:30am

he loves to feed me too and hug anyone 2yo and under...he loves "babies"

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#93 of 366 Old 07-05-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Lu is forward facing. I honestly don't get all the carseat hysteria. So, I'm basically a murderer if I don't buy a brand-new $400 Britax and keep her rear facing. But wait! There are all these car toys and mirrors and stuff that I can buy too. Then I have to buy another $400 booster and have her ride in it til she's 12. If I can't fit all the carseats and boosters, maybe I can buy a big SUV or a minivan with all the relevant safety features. But if I ride the bus, I can wear her in a sling. WTF?

Ok, end of rant.

My baby is so cute. She likes to feed us. She was eating Annie's brand whole wheat bunny crackers, and she holds one up for me, then one up for Joey. She accidentally almost gave me two in a row, but remembered that it was Joey's turn, so she snatched it out of my mouth and gave it to him. :

She's not walking, but standing a lot, and trying to talk a lot. The sleep situation is pretty good. She still nurses every few hours, but goes down and wakes up at decent times.
: I read that whole post out loud for Mr Ant. Too funny!

LA, maybe it's a MI thing?
#94 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
Oh, when I said flames, rest assured that I did not mean anyone who hangs in this thread I just see the discussion always gets heated on general carseat threads, with a few folks especially vocal. As in I am surprised they did not spidey sense that forward facing was being discussed and decide to drop in!

Just had the most non-relaxing LLL meeting ever. Haven't been in a few months, and now everyone has toddlers, so it was basically a free-for-all. I have no idea what we talked about. Harper wants to do everything the bigger kids are doing.

Harper at the park
Hideous new chair from grandma (she looooooves this thing. have never seen her love on something so much.)

Anyone else got pics?

That is the cutest chair ever! I guess chairs are in. We got a foam type cinderella chair,and she loves the thing!

I realy need to got a new car seat,I still have DS1's convertable seat.And he's 7 : . But she still is in the bucket for now. Heck she still fits,why not.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#95 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 12:48 AM

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...16/t_=99259016

B day pics! don't remember if I posted them or not.If so just ignore me.

#96 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 01:37 AM

Nevie ended up with a chair-themed birthday, too. I'd ordered an upholstered rocking chair, and the ILs brought up a wooden one. They are both too much for her right now, but once she's stable on two feet I think she'll get a lot more use out of them. Some pics on the latest blog post.

ps, I like the one I ordered best of all :-) Duh.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#97 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 10:16 AM

MAggie also likes to shake her head NO! Its cute too. She also takes phones and puts them to her ear and chats. Or a remote etc.

But most importantly, she wants to do everything her big sister does and tries and can usually do it. Ughhh.

BFMama- looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks! Anyone else coming to the LLL conference?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#98 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 10:27 AM

omg. I just lost a freeking HUGE response post.

but you will not be saved from my incoherent ramblings. I shall return. Mwahahahahahahahaaaaaa......:

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#99 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 11:39 AM

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a great 4th of July!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
BFMama- looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks! Anyone else coming to the LLL conference?
YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! Omigosh, I am SO FREAKIN EXCITED. Seriously, the LLLI Int'l Conf is the highlight of my life every 2 years! It is the most amazing experience, I can't even explain - so much fun and I always learn so much, too, and get to see people I haven't seen in ages, or meet people like you IRL for the first time! I cannot wait!! We leave in 13 days!! We're driving over 2 days - Philly area to Chicago is a little more than 700 miles, DH figured out the almost-exact halfway point is just outside of Akron, OH, so we're staying there to break up the drive. Roughly 360 miles each day, which we figure will take about 8 hours each leg of the trip if you include rest/nurse/eat/potty stops. I am really lucky all my kids are good in the car - they fall asleep or listen to music or whatever and are happy.

And yes, Andrew is still rear-facing and will stay so as long as possible. I am one of those carseat freaks : but NOT the kind who is going to flame anyone else!! We all have to do what we think is right....but I always read that the #1 cause of death for kids 5 and under is car accidents, so I figure I better do whatever I can to make sure they're as safe as possible. We pretty much live in the car (I hate it, I SO miss D.C. life where we used to walk/metro everywhere, but around here in the 'burbs there's no choice!) and in this area, I see accidents ALL THE TIME. So - no judgment on anyone else, but I try to keep them RF til as close to 2 as possible - my understanding, which I hope is correct, is that it's actually more about age than size - it's not so much about weight, it's about head/neck development. Until age 2 (I think?), regardless of how big they are, a baby/toddler's head is so much larger in proportion to his or her body, that in an accident it's better for them to be rear-facing because the impact is then absorbed more by the seat and not by their spine and neck where the larger head size could cause major injury. So.....whatever, I know different people don't think it's that much of an issue. For us, it's better having RF anyway because he can see his sisters that way!

And Sarah - you are SO right about PA, I cannot believe how bad people are at merging!! I almost had an accident last week for that exact reason - I was in the right-most lane on the highway and I saw a guy coming down the entrance lane so I slowed up a bit to let him merge on, and he was so afraid, he just kept braking and was entering the highway at like 10 mph!! I had to slam on my brakes and almost have an accident because he wouldn't decide whether he was going to go or not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom View Post
helen - LOL, i am so w/you on the spidey sense. give it some time, somebody is bound to drive by (no pun intended) w/some sagely advice.

fireant - me too! i'm always waiting for someone to yell at me in a parking lot or when we're driving...

candice - amen to that rant!

mikey is big into "no" (even when he means yes) i have pics in my blog (link in my sig), he also puts his hand to his head like a phone whenever he hears a phone ring which is just about every 5 min
Hope you don't think I'm giving that unsolicited "advice" you were wary of Just explaining my own reasoning on that issue!

And how funny, Andrew does the same thing when a phone rings! He puts anything he can up to his ear and says "Hi! Hi! Hi!" Andrew and Mikey have got to get together sometime, I think they sound very much alike - they'd have a blast at a playdate!

Everyone's photos are so cute - Sarah, Medic, Helen - adorable! Gotta get mine up, I keep saying I'm going to do it but I'm still figuring out this new digital camera. It was my dad's : I felt funny taking it and using it but mother had no idea how to use it (she's very low-tech and like a regular film camera) and was going to give it away to somebody.

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#100 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 02:40 PM

I'm baaaaaaaaaack...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
And Heather, for someone not very NFL, don't you clean your house with vinegar?
Vinegar and baking soda, yes. Point taken. Thanks! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neth Naneth View Post
Quick question for you all, for all the babies . . . I mean toddlers that are under 30 pounds does anyone have their baby ride facing forward?
We've not turned K quite yet, but will be soon. She's only in the past few months been remotely happy in the car about half the time, and since I just traveled 2 hours to my parents' house this week we decided that now was NOT the time to change the car seat arrangement. When we get back home next week we'll turn it and see how she does around town. If she's noticeably happier, we'll keep it FF - cause as Helen said, I'm a less safe driver when I'm stressed cause she's screaming (and it's not fair to D to keep us housebound). If she's not noticeably happier, we'll probably put her back RF for a little while longer.

I posted on the recent "how old is too old for a booster" thread and went with the minority that I would not force a petite tween/teen into a booster - and that minority group was lambasted. I am of the opinion that the car/booster seat is only one factor of many involved in a crash scenario. A high safety crash rating, following proper car maintenance, and making sure your tires are safe and properly inflated can make a big difference in a crash as well. Also, many people do not have their seats installed correctly, and/or do not have their children restrained properly in the seat. I think a lot of these important factors are glossed over in the child restraint/safety frenzy and too much of the focus is put on keeping your kid in a seat/harnessed booster. . But enough of my opinion on that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
as opposed to PA where folks like to stay in the right lane and cruise, thus forcing the person on the on-ramp to slam on their brakes. Not so much with the safety. The only time I would freak out is driving in to Baltimore or DC, which isn't often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama View Post
And Sarah - you are SO right about PA, I cannot believe how bad people are at merging!! I almost had an accident last week for that exact reason - I was in the right-most lane on the highway and I saw a guy coming down the entrance lane so I slowed up a bit to let him merge on, and he was so afraid, he just kept braking and was entering the highway at like 10 mph!! I had to slam on my brakes and almost have an accident because he wouldn't decide whether he was going to go or not!
Seriously. I've lived in PA and NY just about my whole life. What is it that so many PA drivers don't understand about merging? Or doing onesy-onesy? Or that a yield sign is NOT a stop sign? Good grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
Actually, what is everyone doing with sleep these days?
<snip>
But I think we're going to start offering the crib and see if it makes a difference. It's a whole 2 feet from the bed. Or I may side car it again now that she can safely climb down.
Sleeping arrangements: K nurses to sleep and starts the night in her crib, then I bring her to bed with me when I'm ready. When she's walking well enough and safely able to climb down from the bed, and can understand the concept, we'll do with her what we did with big bro: Take the rail off the crib and make it a day bed, close all the doors in the "hallway" (which is just a 5x5 landing with a permanent gate at the stairwell) but hers and ours (so she has nowhere to go but our room), and let her come to us whenever she wakes up and wants to. Worked beautifully with D, as he aged and slept longer on his own it just naturally happened and he continues to ease out of the family bed. He's mostly in his room now though he joins us now and again still...and we love it that way!

As far as actual sleep, sometimes it's great - she'll nurse to sleep in about 10 min and sleep for up to 6-7 hours before waking up to nurse to sleep again. Then, there are the other nights. The nights she just wants to scream while laying on my lap. FLIPS OUT if I try to comfort/cradle/rock her, DOESN'T want to be put down. Teething tablets/tylenol make no difference. VIOLENTLY refuses the breast (one time had her foot on my throat ). Just wants me to sit there in the rocker with the Boppy on my lap, while she lays on it writhing and wailing for about 10-15 minutes, then she nurses for about 30 seconds and passes out. Yeah, that's good for the old nerves. : It would be one thing if she would let me comfort her, or just want me to leave her alone - but it's like all she wants is a silent witness to her misery and there's not a damn thing I can do about it. I hate those nights. Those are also the nights she's up every 2 hours to nurse. Fortunately, they are few and far between (though now that I've mentioned it here it will probably happen tonight.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
generally, sleep is better, she goes down easy (and at a decent time if we catch it) and sleeps for a couple of hours with out needing boob, then i come to bed and she'll sleep up to 3.5 hours between boobings. Then up about 11-12 hours after she went down. Naps are usually 1x a day for about 2 hours. sometimes more, often less, and occasionally two shorter naps. She doesn't seem super cranky so I assume she's getting enough sleep.
Me? not so much.
Damn it woman, neither of us are following the pact we made. Remember: No mentioning ecent-day eep-slay!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia
My baby is so cute. She likes to feed us. She was eating Annie's brand whole wheat bunny crackers, and she holds one up for me, then one up for Joey. She accidentally almost gave me two in a row, but remembered that it was Joey's turn, so she snatched it out of my mouth and gave it to him. :

Quote:
So Amy is now in the house!

Quote:
But most importantly, she wants to do everything her big sister does and tries and can usually do it. Ughhh.
Here too - K MUST try to do everything D does, climb everywhere he is, sit next to him wherever he is, eat everything he does, brush her teeth when he does, etc. etc. etc. And she also is pretty darn good at most of it, too! :

She has a new "word" - more a sound, but getting closer to the actual word. "Up". Way cool. : She's also doing the phone thing with real phones and other non-phone objects. She holds it to her ear, says, "uhhhhhhh?" and smiles. She also LOVES plastic grocery bags : loves to walk around shaking them - she walks and laughs and hums and shakes the bag looking about as proud as a little one can be. And, um, I let her...but only supervised. I promise. What else? Oh - she's obsessed with the bathtub/shower. MUST be in it with me when I shower, in addition to her nightly bath time with brother. She is the TP bandit so all our TP is up off the rolls on top of cabinets. No interest in the toilet so long as I have the lid shut; she's not into opening the lid, yet. Loves climbing up into office chairs and being spun. A weird thing - at least weird from my previous experience - she'll actually bring me things if I don't want her to have them and I ask her for them. Toddle right over and put it in my hand. It's quite nice.

And finally: Birthday Picture Explosion. This includes both her actual birthday, and the party 2 days later. Many pics that are of other kids, cause she was asleep for half of the party. Had the old college gang up (minus two who couldn't make it - we're still a close-knit group after 15 years! ) and the grandparents, and had a great time!!

#101 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 02:58 PM

de lurk

Ryker only says : Mama,Da da,Hi,Bye,naaa* when he wants food or sees food*

Last time i weighed him he was 24lbs forgot how tall. He loves walking has been walking since 11months old.

We turned Ryker FFing the start of June since we were going on a 8 hour car trip and moved him to the backseat of the van so he could watch dvds with his sister on the car ride. He was 24lbs when we moved him.

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#102 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
I posted on the recent "how old is too old for a booster" thread and went with the minority that I would not force a petite tween/teen into a booster - and that minority group was lambasted...

...And finally: Birthday Picture Explosion. This includes both her actual birthday, and the party 2 days later. Many pics that are of other kids, cause she was asleep for half of the party. Had the old college gang up (minus two who couldn't make it - we're still a close-knit group after 15 years! ) and the grandparents, and had a great time!!

I know, even as a self-proclaimed carseat freak, I draw the line somewhere - and I too was recently lambasted, for keeping my almost 5 y.o. in a belt-positioning booster even though she sometimes doesn't listen to me regarding sitting in it properly (puts her arm through so the belt is only on her waist, leans over so the seat tips, loosens the belt so she can reach down to retrieve a dropped toy, etc.) I said that I was just going to continue teaching her why it's so important that she sit properly in the booster so she's safe and keep reminding her - but a bunch of other mamas said that's terrible, it's clear she's not ready for a booster and should immediately be put back in a 5-point harness carseat. And the only one that would fit her (at 47 inches and 52 pounds) is the Britax Regent which is ginormous and costs a fortune.

And Heather, those pics are SO CUTE!!! I loved the one of Kait in the car looking over her shoulder like "see ya!" And that's a great idea to hang photos from each month. I may steal that idea for Andrew's party, for which we still haven't set a date

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#103 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 05:23 PM

: I didn't take any photos of Lu's bday. I guess I was too frazzled. She's going to need so much therapy. I'm thinking of having a fake party to stage some photo opps. It'll be the big family secret. Or, I could steal someone else's online photos and photoshop her face in. Who had a really cool party?
#104 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
: I didn't take any photos of Lu's bday. I guess I was too frazzled. She's going to need so much therapy. I'm thinking of having a fake party to stage some photo opps. It'll be the big family secret. Or, I could steal someone else's online photos and photoshop her face in. Who had a really cool party?
Half way threw Olivias cake it dawned on us,Hey we have a video cammera. We also never remembered with the boys either.

#105 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I posted on the recent "how old is too old for a booster" thread and went with the minority that I would not force a petite tween/teen into a booster - and that minority group was lambasted.

Or doing onesy-onesy?

Damn it woman, neither of us are following the pact we made. Remember: No mentioning ecent-day eep-slay!!!!!
1. I think that my mom would be in a booster.
2. what is a onesy onesy?
3. eep-slay? i didn't say nuthin bout no eep slay!!

Quote:
I had a cool party. send me her face and i'll shop it in. Then again, we'll need to shop in you, tania and Joey.. and your boobs. Your boobs are nicer than mine.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#106 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 07:13 PM

I think it will be one of my themes of motherhood to constantly be slapping my forehead and saying "D'oh! Why didn't I take a picture/grab a movie of THAT before it was too late?"

her baby book is pathetic, too. Once she got mobile I just kinda stopped taking the time (time?!) to sit down and take note of things. So, there are lots of dates preceded by the term "approx." in there. I'm a slacker about that kind of stuff, and it eats into my "me time." So I'm a selfish slacker.

I swear, hearing you guys mention how you've been lambasted about the carseat thing makes me SO GLAD I stick to our DDC and my running group here. I don't have the patience/time/moral energy for "Who is a bad/unsafe mommy?" crap. Life is too darn short and we're all doing the effing best we can. Oh -- I guess I can add the Yarn Craft forum to my safe list, though.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#107 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Oh -- I guess I can add the Yarn Craft forum to my safe list, though.
You know, you can knit yourself a 5 point harness, then you will be a safe AND crafty mama.

:

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#108 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 07:58 PM

And NEVER say you use a spoon no matter what the food is.

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#109 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 08:15 PM

Spoons are so mainstream. They're practically abusive.

The knitted 5-point harness...brilliant! Can we knit it with unbleached organic cotton?
#110 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 08:22 PM

Make sure it's REALLY organic, not that fake mainstream stuff under the new standards.

: Sorry, couldn't help myself

#111 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 08:33 PM

We use forks for our soup.

And we turned K around today. She was very much happier, and we were in the car at naptime even. We'll see if it lasts.

Went swimming at the river last night because it was ridiculously hot here. K absolutely loved it. I guess she likes open water better than the pool. She was squealing and splashing and having fun for over an hour before she was ready to just sit in the shallows with me. Had a blast. No pictures were taken though. I forgot to pack the camera, and unbeknownst to me DH did pack it, but forgot it was in the bag. Doh.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#112 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 08:40 PM

Ah, you guys are cracking me up. That's good stuff up there. Will you be here all week? Don't forget to tip the waitress...

Hey, I switched to CDs, so MDC can always stick THAT flag of victory on my brow.

Korin, have you checked out the KAL I started in Yarn Crafts? Want to join us : ?

Candice and Sarah -- are you guys still running?

#113 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
1. I think that my mom would be in a booster.
Quote:
You know, you can knit yourself a 5 point harness, then you will be a safe AND crafty mama.

:
That really had me cracking up!

Quote:
I don't have the patience/time/moral energy for "Who is a bad/unsafe mommy?" crap. Life is too darn short and we're all doing the effing best we can.
Very true Megan - but I have to say, for myself, I have learned a whole lot from the mamas here who have made me question myself, in a good way KWIM? Totally NOT people saying 'you suck as a mother' but saying, hey, maybe you haven't thought that through enough, or maybe you just haven't heard this perspective or whatever. It's all in the phrasing though. For me anyway, I think the occasional honest challenge to my complacency like 'am I really doing my best?' is a much needed kick in the pants! But that is probably just me :

I have no idea if that made any sense whatsoever, because I'm starving....off to make dinner! Yikes, it's late!

#114 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Hey, I switched to CDs, so MDC can always stick THAT flag of victory on my brow.
So did I... but I don't think it "counts". Not hardcore enough.....

And Korin, My mom does have a booster.... You know, she needs a pillow :

#115 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've done week 1 three times. We've been having wicked bad thunderstorms that last all night, and I can only get out of the house alone after DH gets home at night.

BUT, he just won me a membership to the gym at the local community college, so I can work out no matter the weather! I'm so excited.

I had my fitness assessment for the new gym on Thursday, and I was shocked. I've lost 41 pounds since I had J, and my body fat is only 35%. WAY lower than I was expecting!

S2 is crying.....bbl

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#116 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Still? Do you mean "yet"? : I did bring the jogger down to the vineyard...
#117 of 366 Old 07-06-2007, 11:46 PM

Lets see, thanks to MDC, I CD and spend way too much time on the TP and the coops.

I first discovered MDC after getting the Mag at Whole Foods. I read it cover to cover and was like- wow they wrote this for me! I am not a FREAK like my SIL thinks. Of course DH says that is a good thing she thinks that of me. We have always been way more to the left shall we say than my brother and SIL.

Of course they think we have like 3 heads or are from Mars because we are doing this remodel. They live in a mcmansion subdivision that is sooo cookie cutter it isnt funny. I always feel like such a hippie when we go over there.

Maybe this is why Maggie gets these whole body shakes and screams bloody murder when my brother walks in the room : She has taken to hating my Dad and my brother. Both who are bigtime "let me pick you up even though you hate it" people.
OTH, she loves my ILs. They of course are here all year round and she sees them 3-4 times weekly. She esp love my FIL. We call her Grandpa's baby. Of course that really : my parents but they cant say anything since they are in FL half the year.

Anyone else have someone in their life who the baby um tot loves and another who they freak about.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#118 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 12:30 AM

Sebastian had his one year "well baby" visit today. He's slowed down on the weight gain but has sped up in height, essentially flipping his growth chart opposite of what it was. Now he's about 80th percentile on weight and almost off the chart on height -- 24 pounds 7.5 ounces and 32.75 inches tall. Dude.

(And Qualia's 30 pounds and 37.5 inches tall. She couldn't resist getting "checked out" at the same time as her brother. Also falling on the tall side of the chart.)

Bastian's on track developmentally -- he has a few words, lots of babble and physical expression, and scored very high on receptive language, in that he clearly understands what he's told and can already follow two-step instructions. When he feels like it, of course. *lol* He's had pincer grasp for a while and can throw a ball, loves to climb, has great balance, walks fine, and has no fear. (I'm working on that. I'd like a little fear. Not a lot. Just a little.) He's still not a foodie, but he eats a wide range of foods and can handle plenty of texture now. His iron was just a touch low at 11.4 (they want to see at least 11.5), but Dr. Jill was fine with us avoiding the trauma of a full blood workup and just watching his and my diets and doing another finger stick at his 15-month WBV. We did a lead check, too, but that goes to a lab and takes a week or two to process. I don't think there should be a problem with that, but it's good to know.

So those are all the things they tick off. There's no check for personality, but he's got it in spades. He's still a very giggly baby . . . toddler . . . and loves to play jokes and make people smile. He's also starting to show some very early empathy. A few times now Qualia has gotten upset about something and Bastian will take one look at her, his face will crumple, and big fat tears start rolling down his cheeks. As soon as she calms down, he's all smiles again. Yikes. That's good and bad, in my book. It's a wonderful trait and I love it, but it's so hard to watch him feel someone else's pain. I was that child. It can be a rough road.

He still loves all things music and happily walks around half the day with a recorder in his mouth, tweeting away. Kazoos, drums, keyboard, maracas . . . all things good in his world. Same thing with drawing. He watches Qualia and has figured out how to hold a pen, and he draws on EVERYTHING. Bookshelves, walls, books, doors, himself, his sister, and sometimes even on the art easel set up for the purpose. When he's not playing something or drawing on something, he's climbing it or smashing it. He's a busy, busy boy. It's awesome.
#119 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama View Post
And that's a great idea to hang photos from each month. I may steal that idea for Andrew's party, for which we still haven't set a date
Hey, I stole it from Korin, so feel free to steal my steal!

Quote:
2. what is a onesy onesy?
You know, when two lanes merge into one, and people just kind of "get" taking turns letting one car from each lane go? We seem to be able to to that pretty well in the upstate NY-ish places I've lived in, but in PA they just can't quite seem to figure it out and it causes a lot of unnecessary bottling up.

Quote:
This is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. For real.

Sarah, GREAT update on Bastian.

#120 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Sarah, GREAT update on Bastian.
Thanks. This was one of the Big Ones, where they go over all the developmental milestones, and even though I *know* he's ok, it was such a relief to see how well the doctor felt he was doing. The oxygen deprivation was a cause for concern at his birth and they weren't sure if/how that was going to manifest, but it's really looking like it's a non-issue now. WOOHOO!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page