June 2006 Mamas - July Chat Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Spoons are so mainstream. They're practically abusive.

The knitted 5-point harness...brilliant! Can we knit it with unbleached organic cotton?
Really wouldn't a hand-vegetable-dyed wool from free-range, organic grass grazing sheep be better?

mikey pretty much likes anyone. he does get 'shy' around strangers, but i don't think he's ever freaked out over anyone. come to think of it, none of my kids ever did, that would be weird...but then pretty much everyone i've been around had been pretty respectful of my kids' space.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#122 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
You know, you can knit yourself a 5 point harness, then you will be a safe AND crafty mama.

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
And NEVER say you use a spoon no matter what the food is.

Quote:
Make sure it's REALLY organic, not that fake mainstream stuff under the new standards.

: Sorry, couldn't help myself
You guys are killing me!!!!

We like to play shy here. I'm one of the smallest babies!

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#123 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 01:35 PM

at the knitting a 5 Pt harness

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(10),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#124 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom View Post
Really wouldn't a hand-vegetable-dyed wool from free-range, organic grass grazing sheep be better?

:

Um, my kid used to be shy around the ILs but now he just loves them to pieces... And both my boys love their Auntie J (my sister) Surprisingly, J really likes my mother. I think she finally loosened up. She has always been nervous around babes but she adores J....

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#125 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustysSweety03 View Post
at the knitting a 5 Pt harness
You want one? Korin's a really good knitter....

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#126 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

S2 adores pretty much everyone, but is wary of my ILs. Then again, it was their choice to pack up in to an RV and take off across the country when she was 4mo, and only come back once. So, it's not my fault if she doesn't want to be held by them, they're strangers!

Sorry, they just left. They talked for months about how much they missed us and the kids, and how excited they were to finally get to meet J and see S2 again, and yet they've only seen them twice in the month they've been in town.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#127 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 04:41 PM

K likes most people if they give her a chance to adjust to her surroundings. FIL got massive screaming for a long time because he always wanted her to face him when he was holding her and she demands to face out. She has issues with BIL too, but I think that's because he's a trucker and gone a lot so she doesn't see him often. After about 20 minutes, she's totally okay with him though.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#128 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
And Korin, My mom does have a booster.... You know, she needs a pillow :
I totally forgot but my grandmother used a pillow to drive! How funny!

Penelope is still rear-facing and will be until closer to 2.
#129 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 06:24 PM

My 5 yr old Liz is in the Britax booster and Maggie is in the Boulavard. We inhereted a Marathon from BIL/SIL when they bought my niece a booster like Liz's. The marathon dosent fit in Bob's Tundra so we bought a floor model at Babies r us of the alfa omega for his car. Now we have two in there. One as in a booster for Liz and the other w the harness for Maggie.
Liz is also tall and tall in the torso. There is no way she can even fit in the harness anymore.

My friend IRL and on MDC got the marathon since she is expecting in a few weeks. She was thrilled. She is also eyeing my new native sling and Maggie's pink fluff. I think she has a girl in there but she has 2 boys already so who knows....

Who is still slingin the tots? I would love to but Maggie has other ideas and likes to take off. I still keep it with me but if she has her shoes on its kind of cramped in there! We also inhererited a mclaren stroller. Its 5 years old but still perfect. I never was big on strollers but since it was free, we use it at the pool to get there in case MAggie takes off and walking into our downtown area which is a block away from our house, if we dont use the wagon.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#130 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
: I didn't take any photos of Lu's bday. I guess I was too frazzled. She's going to need so much therapy. I'm thinking of having a fake party to stage some photo opps. It'll be the big family secret. Or, I could steal someone else's online photos and photoshop her face in. Who had a really cool party?
We staged Christmas pictures! Well, someone gave us presents a few days later, and we actually remembered to take pictures of her ripping the paper. Our party was OK for what it was. Um... we had chowder and cupcakes! I had party letdown because it didn't turn out how I wanted, but I have now made peace with the fact that every June 16 will be The Day Nothing Goes As Planned.

I am still at the organic knitted harness. Wouldn't macrame be more secure?

SRSLY guys, I got an in person driveby the other day for letting her drink a sippy of water. I can't really say circumstances as I know people who know people who could click on my recent posts feature, and I may have to see them in person here and there. So: sipping water through a straw for a child well on solids is a no no because I could be breastfeeding instead.
#131 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Who is still slingin the tots?
slinging both here every once in a while. :

More often than not, if we're running errands, J goes in the sling (thanks, Amy!) and S2 goes in the shopping cart, for which my mom got us a cover, 'cause, ew.

We to the airport to pick my niece up, and ended up wearing both of them (sling for J on front, MT for S2 on back) and got SO many comments, and stares, and words of encouragement. Plus assistance the one time I had to put them back in and J was arching his back and screaming and trying to throw himself backwards out of the sling, while S2 tried to make a break for it over my side. Good times.

It's actually easier on my back than I expected. I think part of it is that when I'm wearing the babes I'm so much MORE cognizant of my posture.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#132 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 09:53 PM

Still babywearing, but not as often. walks, stores, sometimes for naps... I use a wrap or an ergo. and sooon a homemade Beco (all they way from ALBERTA!)

Off to click on Helen's recent posts.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#133 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 10:13 PM

I still use my mei tai (Kozy Carrier) almost every day. Well, every time we go out shopping just me and the baby. Nevie must like it, because she would object if she didn't. the girl has opinions, that's for sure.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#134 of 366 Old 07-07-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
Still babywearing, but not as often. walks, stores, sometimes for naps... I use a wrap or an ergo. and sooon a homemade Beco (all they way from ALBERTA!)

Off to click on Helen's recent posts.
ZOMG you jerk! No stalkinggggg. If I told you the whole story you'd barf.

We are using the ring sling a lot in stores and around the house, but she also has new love for the stroller for walks (I kno abusive right). I debated getting a summer weight wrap, but ended up ordering a Beco since husband likes those too, so I should have that in "1-4 weeks," whatever that means.
#135 of 366 Old 07-08-2007, 12:49 AM

Ergo and waiting on my carrymemama (which is like a Beco, but a lot cheaper...LOL) I'll let you know how it turns out!

Mikey loves the backpack, but also freaks (like happy) when he sees the umbrella stroller.

Watching Best in Show... gosh, what a crack up!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#136 of 366 Old 07-08-2007, 01:16 AM

I still wear Ryker in the Ergo a bunch, he only starts to buck backwards when he's in and we aren't moving as much as he likes

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(10),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#137 of 366 Old 07-08-2007, 01:24 AM

Bastian spends a lot of time in the Babyhawk. Front carry, back carry, whatever works best for what we're doing at the time. I prefer the back carry for longer walks, but if I'm wearing the diaper backpack or he's sleeping when I put him in it, then he goes on my front.

Qualia still goes in a carry sometimes, too, almost entirely of her own desire. I'd rather push her in the stroller if she doesn't want to walk. Plus, it gives me a place to stash our stuff!

But she's a cuddlebug and likes to connect frequently, so we've had several walks recently where Qualia's in the Babyhawk on my back and Bastian's in my Maya on the front. That's, ah . . . counting on my fingers . . . almost 55 pounds of toddler. No wonder I don't need a gym membership to lose weight.
#138 of 366 Old 07-08-2007, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
ZOMG you jerk! No stalkinggggg. If I told you the whole story you'd barf.

We are using the ring sling a lot in stores and around the house, but she also has new love for the stroller for walks (I kno abusive right). I debated getting a summer weight wrap, but ended up ordering a Beco since husband likes those too, so I should have that in "1-4 weeks," whatever that means.
If it's anything like the "Ordered to shipped in 10 days" for my Kozy, it will be there in two months.

Sorry to say it, but I am in a time-out (so ordered by Dan) right now from my baby who refuses to lay down and sleep. Despite falling asleep in arms about eight bajibillion times. GYAAAHHHHH!!@!!!!PHIASPIOJAWPEREIOHJ~!~ and also, (I*)&988&^%&^%*&^)(*&)(*&(*&.

Repeat after me: we do NOT cry it out in this house. we do NOT cry it out in this house. 'Cause I SOOOO effing WANT TO RIGHT NOW.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#139 of 366 Old 07-08-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom View Post
Watching Best in Show... gosh, what a crack up!
"That is NOT a Busy Bee! That is a BEAR in a BEE COSTUME!!!"

or, "Oh-hooo, Rhapsody has two mommies..."

I own the trilogy: "Waiting for Guffman", "Best in Show" and "A Mighty Wind." Can't beat 'em.

#140 of 366 Old 07-08-2007, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post

I own the trilogy: "Waiting for Guffman", "Best in Show" and "A Mighty Wind." Can't beat 'em.
Have you seen the new one? For Your Consideration? Classic.

#141 of 366 Old 07-08-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Sorry to say it, but I am in a time-out (so ordered by Dan) right now from my baby who refuses to lay down and sleep. Despite falling asleep in arms about eight bajibillion times. GYAAAHHHHH!!@!!!!PHIASPIOJAWPEREIOHJ~!~ and also, (I*)&988&^%&^%*&^)(*&)(*&(*&.
This was us last night too, from about 2am to 5 or 6, I think. :

#142 of 366 Old 07-08-2007, 05:28 PM

Ergo gets used lots, and ring sling in back in commission too. I miss my babyhawk, which dh (d stands for douchebag) let his friend "borrow" before she moved away to Hawaii. : : and : We also use a wagon and a baby jogger. She lovvves the wagon to death, because she can play with toys in it. I have been working pruning grape vines, and she sits in the Ergo for naps and we can sit in the wagon to boob, and then she'll play for a while in the wagon. It works out quite nicely. She's a real peach. People say, "What a goooooood baby." Not like all those bad babies.
#143 of 366 Old 07-08-2007, 11:00 PM

Let's see if I can remember everything--

Yes, I can sidecar a crib, and I have one there but all of the sides are up so I can put P in it when he wakes up and buy a little more sleep. I haven't figured out if I want to take the side off again.
Leigh Anne-- having more than one bed might work. Maybe just adding a twin would be fine, but then I'd have to push them together, even the height, etc etc. Who knows. DH has been complaining about back pain so we might get a new mattress and then upgrade to a king.

Quote:

Repeat after me: we do NOT cry it out in this house. we do NOT cry it out in this house. 'Cause I SOOOO effing WANT TO RIGHT NOW.
This is what we were like last night. Woke up at 11pm went to sleep again at 1:30. : I have NO tolerance for crappy sleep. I suck.
But good for Dan giving you a time out!

Quote:

Favorites all, of my ILs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
This was us last night too, from about 2am to 5 or 6, I think. :
Is it teeth? That was my guess. I'm a bad mom, I dosed w/ Tylenol to be sure. It WAS midnight. :

Quote:
Ergo gets used lots, and ring sling in back in commission too. I miss my babyhawk, which dh (d stands for douchebag) let his friend "borrow" before she moved away to Hawaii. : : and : We also use a wagon and a baby jogger. She lovvves the wagon to death, because she can play with toys in it. I have been working pruning grape vines, and she sits in the Ergo for naps and we can sit in the wagon to boob, and then she'll play for a while in the wagon. It works out quite nicely. She's a real peach. People say, "What a goooooood baby." Not like all those bad babies.
Wagons = cool but do not have one yet.
So I totally missed the vineyard transition. How long are you there for? Is this your new home or what?

Helen, I couldn't find the thread you were discussing but would like to commiserate. I feed my kid water in a sippy with his solids. So I, too, must be inflicting permanent damage.

SS just left after 2 weeks here. Is it horrible to breathe a sigh of relief? Things are so quiet, and clean. Well, that is, after crazy baby finally went to sleep. I hope he walks soon, maybe that will take care of all of this energy. The worst is that he's so strong that he can almost make my drop him just by wiggling.

Forgot to answer: we still babywear but not as often. He doesn't really like front carries anymore (unless he is sleepy) and I don't really like to face him out because the MT cuts into his legs. He loves back carries and I get good vacuuming done then. Double wearers-- you do a MT on the back and a sling on the front? Darn. Guess I have to buy a freakin sling.

Hope your weekends went well! It's so great being able to check in here.
#144 of 366 Old 07-08-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
Is it teeth? That was my guess. I'm a bad mom, I dosed w/ Tylenol to be sure. It WAS midnight. :
I have a sneaking suspicion that it is, in fact, teeth. Especially after I gave her some hylands and she crashed out. Tonight she's having a small dose of motrin before bedtime, maybe she'll have some decent sleep and not be so cranky tomorrow.

I love love love watching her toddle around. So cute. Especially in baby capris. Also very much enjoying the babble. She's totally telling me stories and I just don't know the words. adorable.

We still babywear like crazy. Can't afford not to, mostly because I have no help for half the month. The wrap gets used more & more, use a pouch for running errands around town, and I made myself an onbu for other stuff, like tending to horses. Wasn't sure I liked that one at first, but it's growing on me, and I love the fabric I picked, so we'll keep at it.

#145 of 366 Old 07-09-2007, 02:52 AM

We still bw here. Evie loves it. I was happy to make that discovery.

She also adores the wagon. Jonathan took her and big brother out for a walk in it a few days ago. I stayed home and cleaned the downstairs. When dh got back, he asked how long he was gone b/c I got so much done! I told him it was amazing what I could accomplish when he took the kids and left for a while!

Megs! We were so there a few nights ago. I have no idea what got into Evie. As soon as we'd put her in her crib, she would pop up and scream. It's so not like her. So we rocked, rocked, rocked and now she seems back to normal. After her normal bedtime routine, dh put her down tonight and she just snuggled right in. Who knows what was going on? She did the same thing at naptime too and an Evie without enough sleep is a little Evie that is a BIG SCREECHING TYRANT! geez, the vocal cords on that kid. I think she's a soprano. :

Sarah, the beach sounds so fun! We usually go to Charleston, but it's not in the cards this year. My uncle has a condo on Smith Mountain Lake though with a plontoon (sp?) boat that we can use. He was supposed to be calling my mom with a list of the dates that are available, so maybe we can go there. I don't know though, it's been nice just hanging out here. Of course, I can do without the 100 degree heat we're supposed to have tomorrow! ick
#146 of 366 Old 07-09-2007, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
Forgot to answer: we still babywear but not as often. He doesn't really like front carries anymore (unless he is sleepy) and I don't really like to face him out because the MT cuts into his legs. He loves back carries and I get good vacuuming done then. Double wearers-- you do a MT on the back and a sling on the front? Darn. Guess I have to buy a freakin sling.

Hope your weekends went well! It's so great being able to check in here.
I think from here on out when I double sling I will put J on my front in the wrap, and S2 on my back in the MT. At least until J outgrows her, then I'll switch 'em. The wrap is much easier on my shoulders for long periods of time. The sling really started to dig after about 3 hours, and as fidgety as they both were, it was getting pretty uncomfortable. It's also easier for me to nurse in the wrap than it is in the sling.

So, you don't necessarily have to buy a sling. I used the wrap with J from 1wk old on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiejon1 View Post
Sarah, the beach sounds so fun! We usually go to Charleston, but it's not in the cards this year. My uncle has a condo on Smith Mountain Lake though with a plontoon (sp?) boat that we can use. He was supposed to be calling my mom with a list of the dates that are available, so maybe we can go there. I don't know though, it's been nice just hanging out here. Of course, I can do without the 100 degree heat we're supposed to have tomorrow! ick
We have a blast. Every year for 20something years now. Good times.

#147 of 366 Old 07-09-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post

Who is still slingin the tots?
Kait still loves the Beco. And since there are still places I don't want her ramming around (like our scary old basement where the washer/dryer are) , and the fact that she will NOT stop trying to climb into the dishwasher no matter how many times I redirect her, she's up on my back at least a few tiems a day. Sometiems when she burns out walking around/playing, I can put her up on my back and she calms right down...she's been there since she was 6 months old, so it's comforting.

Sorry about the sucky sleep, everyone. I'm not allowed to mention sleep per a previous agreement, but suffice it to say I feel your pain many nights. Teething is fast and furious here, and I can't wait until it's over...which should be inside of the next 6 months for us if she's anything like her brother, and stays on the current eruption rate she's on.

We're back home, ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Nice to get back to 'normal'. Seeing the 'rents is nice, but man is it more stressful there when I'm trying to work.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#148 of 366 Old 07-09-2007, 08:02 AM

still bw here too.

got a new MT made from a friend in another tribe.

see here and here.

also got a new haircut.

lil ant in papa's shirt

came home from work to find this.

she likes dresses more than I ever did

goats are fun!

I love my baby!

she gets sleepy.
and loves her nana.
#149 of 366 Old 07-09-2007, 08:06 AM

and we sometimes use a spoon or spork (medic!).

and we also eat POPCORN!

and DH didn't know the RULES so we also eat peanut butter. Bad parents!
#150 of 366 Old 07-09-2007, 11:24 AM

Of course I had to say she went to sleep like a dream and I was expecting it to last, right. Guess who got up not 2 seconds after I hit post! She was up for at least 3 hours too. J finally went in there and relieved me. He ended up sleeping in the floor. I could her her giggling with glee over the monitor and jumping in her bed. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page