June 2006 Mamas - July Chat Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2007, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So does that mean you're not coming back to portland, candice?

:

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
Are you doing temp work then? I had a job like what you describe, temping w/ the state. I read all of Malcolm X's autobiography in like a day. I think you should just relax and know that you're doing what you have to do. As for pumping, blech. Do you have regimented breaks? If not you can pump each breast one at a time but of course that usually takes twice as long.
And leaking... argh

Yes, we should get together. Are you at U of M? I always figure you're in Frederick and that's like 2 hours away. My weekends are generally free right now except for the coming one.
Yep, just temping this week. The company I'm working for is one of DH's clients (until 7/31, when HIS JOB ENDS! ) and their receptionist went on vacation for the week, and they asked me to fill in.

The pumping is fine. I got to pump twice yesterday, and got 13oz, so I figure that's pretty good. That's pretty much all of J's intake, right now. I do have regimented breaks.

I'm not at UofM. I'm in Hagerstown. I just meant that I had S2 at UofM, and assumed that was the hospital you would be delivering at.

My weekends will be free coming in August, and every other weekend is easier since we have half as many kids to wrangle.

I have to go back to work, at least to get us over the hurdle while DH settles in to a new job.

The nanny hunt (1st choice, natch) begins.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 07-11-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
So does that mean you're not coming back to portland, candice?

:
Well...we have to come and move out of our place... I love pdx so much. It's really hard to leave.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:46 PM

So it's fo sho? seriously. dude, you JUST got here. our love affair was JUST beginning, and you have to go and leave. sigh.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:07 PM

I know. But when I come up to visit in Portland, we can rekindle the magic with Peaches and Herb. Seriously though. I really loved living in Portland, except for being broke all the time. Bills and money were killing my soul.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:08 AM

Bills and money are the ultimate soul killers. Southern Oregon is a good place to get some soul back. I *heart* those SoOr wines -- the ILs are in Medford, so I look forward to our visits there. I'm glad you guys are finding a good life down there, Candice!

Gawd bless the teachers at Nevie's little Montessori school. Due to state health restrictions, sippies aren't allowed -- and after seeing a few go moldy in the valves, I see why! -- so it's just bottles or a "real" glass. They have these little glass cups that, I kid you not, look like beefed-up shotglasses. So, that's what the kids use. And so far the reports are coming back that Nevie is doing pretty well with them. She gets the milk all over herself, duh, but she has the concept just fine.

I am LOVING this whole part-time daycare thing. She naps for them! Woot, woot! SEriously, every time so far she has gone right to sleep and slept over an hour. This is huge in our world. Plus the teachers are so neat and the place itself is a dream and... well, it's so cool to be able to fold and put away laundry in peace ;-) When the heat dies down I'll be able to use that time for a nice long bike ride, too... but that's not today. Or the immediate future.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:07 AM

Candice, I agree bills and money are evil, like the fruits of the devil. Why do you think I'm ditching my big practice for something quiet and at home in my basement? then again, we're rich, and I wipe with $100's. I'm so happy you're happy. honestly, if we could move out to a farm, I'd do it in an instant. Only if it were all of our buddies and we could have a little hippy parenting commune. le sigh. oh, the life.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:33 AM

It is 11:30 and my baby is not asleep!
At least she stopped screaming at me. The radio hath powers to soothe the savage beastie at my house.
Not sure what the problem is, but I suspect molars. There are very defined ridges under her gums. Poor bug.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
Old 07-12-2007, 11:30 AM

The beast has been glued to my boob for 22 of the past 24 hrs!

My nipples hurt!

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:01 AM

Molars suck. There's a little bruise/pool of blood on the top of it that I can see through the skin. Ugh. So she's got some pain meds and she's chewing on a freezie. Poor baby. She also had a way late nap today so she's not tired at all! Ha!

Old 07-13-2007, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
Molars suck. There's a little bruise/pool of blood on the top of it that I can see through the skin. Ugh. So she's got some pain meds and she's chewing on a freezie. Poor baby. She also had a way late nap today so she's not tired at all! Ha!
Awww...poor bean. I freaked out one evening at bathtime when K's toothbrush came out of her mouth pink, then realized it was from those dang molars. Hope your K feels better soon and that dang tooth comes through!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Old 07-13-2007, 04:46 PM

: She walks! I'm screwed.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:32 PM

Nicole, she sucked the very life out of you so that she might walk! Ahahaha!

I have strep throat. Harper does not. The bad news is also that Harper does not, because then it might slow her down a little. Just ask me how many hours of a show about very useful engines she has watched in the past few days because I had no help and could barely stay upright. She runs around and climbs in the windowsills. Even new blocks could not hold her interest. I got better mileage out of cans of catfood. And lying on the couch with my shirt up so she could just self serve when hungry. Oooooh let's do this again never.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
Nicole, she sucked the very life out of you so that she might walk! Ahahaha!

I have strep throat. Harper does not. The bad news is also that Harper does not, because then it might slow her down a little. Just ask me how many hours of a show about very useful engines she has watched in the past few days because I had no help and could barely stay upright. She runs around and climbs in the windowsills. Even new blocks could not hold her interest. I got better mileage out of cans of catfood. And lying on the couch with my shirt up so she could just self serve when hungry. Oooooh let's do this again never.
That she did. She is killing me slowly.

I have some new art pieces in the hall. About 6 inches off the ground. Oh yes marker and crayon. She is very proud of her self. "ook,ay". (look,yay!)and clapping. So it beging,This one is trouble!

Old 07-14-2007, 01:32 AM

I went for a 1 1/2 mile walk, he slept in the ergo on the way back...mind you this was 9pm. Apparently that was just a 'nap' b/c it's 11:22pm and he is going strong : making.me.crazy.indeed.

Candice - that sounds heavenly! I'm green with envy.

Dh mixes my BM with organic milk when I get low on pumped supply, Jessica.

He's drinking a newcastle as we speak. Mikey. not dh. LOL

I need another pint.

le sigh indeed. it's been a long week.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

Old 07-15-2007, 08:56 PM

Old 07-15-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
: Where is everyone?

Old 07-15-2007, 09:53 PM

I've missed you candice! SO MUCH. sig. so very very much!

Old 07-16-2007, 01:20 AM

Hey, I'm here. I've been lost in the past this weekend, as it was my ten-year high school reunion. Surrrrreeal. Glad I've been doing all this triathlon training, fo' sho.

Nevie is walking! Not far, but she can do it! I guess this is almost the exact same age (12 months and 2 weeks) that I started walking, too. Apple, tree, and all that rot.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

We're still not walking here, although we love to dance, and have commandeered our sister's toy guitar as our own. We bring it to daddy to strum, and then sit and dance to the music. Too cute.

Here's S2 dancing to S1 on the guitar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipwcWijww8

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/P1020046.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/P1020078.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/P1020092.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../index_001.jpg

J is scooting. : Crawling is imminent. I'm screwed.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 07-16-2007, 10:39 AM

Gosh, this thread is so long I don't have time to read it. I just had to comment as I was wondering whether I should stop going to Life with a Babe and check out Toddlers and this thread was the first. DS is definitely a toddler though, he seemed to change very quickly. He was at the same stage for months (crawling, pulling up, and cruising), then 3 weeks before his birthday he started walking and now he's a pro. He's still only got 7 teeth though
Old 07-16-2007, 12:25 PM

Sarah those pictures are just beautiful!

I forgot what else I was going to respond to. Thanks everyone for the thoughts re: bottles of breastmilk and all of that. We decided to increase some of his solids so 2 bottles are enough during the day and it seems to work so far. He loves to eat, we're just lazy.

I am so tired most of the time. My MIL "advised" me to stop nursing since my body is "doing double duty" and I want to make sure the baby gets all of the nutrients I need. I basically said, if my body couldn't handle it, it would stop making milk. And it's been shown that the growing baby gets first dibs anyway. I'm probably tired because my nutrition is not so good, so I'm trying to change that.
It kind of bugs me though. My mom is smart enough that she wouldn't suggest I stop nursing since she knows what it means to me. She did say that if I lost my milk, maybe that was "what my body needed to do." I think they just don't get what it means to nurse "extendedly" (or whatever), or why it's important. My mother says "they tell you to do things differently now" whereas my MIL still thinks the way she did it is the way it should be done.

Argh.

Still no walking! Can someone tell my kid that he should walk?
He IS incredibly talkative and very funny, though, so I have no complaints.

Candice, did I mention that your plan sounds so wonderful. It is what so many people dream of doing, but don't get around to it.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:23 PM

Jes/Selesai -- I like your signature. That gave me a chuckle this morning.

Sleep was a tiny bit better last night. I'm selfishly tempted to nightwean, but I keep putting it off because I don't want to go through the trauma. I just want more than 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep, y'all! Blork. Oh well. This, too, shall pass... just in time to have another baby in a few more years. Double blork.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
We're still not walking here, although we love to dance, and have commandeered our sister's toy guitar as our own. We bring it to daddy to strum, and then sit and dance to the music. Too cute.

Here's S2 dancing to S1 on the guitar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipwcWijww8

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/P1020046.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/P1020078.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/P1020092.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../index_001.jpg

J is scooting. : Crawling is imminent. I'm screwed.
Lovely! I love the pic of j in the light.

Crazy couple of days here,lots of running arround in and out. Ran out of diapers she's wearing kitchen towels for the next few hrs.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:13 PM

We don't have walking yet. It's a good thing, too, because this place needs a baby-proofing overhaul.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:38 PM

I think we wil have walking any day now... or next month.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Jes/Selesai -- I like your signature. That gave me a chuckle this morning.

Sleep was a tiny bit better last night. I'm selfishly tempted to nightwean, but I keep putting it off because I don't want to go through the trauma. I just want more than 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep, y'all! Blork. Oh well. This, too, shall pass... just in time to have another baby in a few more years. Double blork.
Thanks, Meg. I'm sick of signatures!
I get kind of depressed when I think about how many years I'm going to have to go without sleep. They're supposed to be worth it, though, aren't they? : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
I think we wil have walking any day now... or next month.
Yep. That's us.

And HELEN-- how are you? I hope better... I hope your DH picked up some babycaring slack so you could rest in peace. Although the "self-serve" idea is rather amusing. It would work for Philip if he weren't still convinced that he can take the boobs with him wherever he crawls.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:40 PM

sixteen more posts then i will be a senior member. i suppose i should start thinking of a snazzy title.

i'm such a dweeb.

babyshower gifts under $10??? I am already giving "The Baby Book" which is $20. not sure I want to spend more but i feel like that isn't enough. maybe some cute onesies would do it. ??
Old 07-17-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
sixteen more posts then i will be a senior member. i suppose i should start thinking of a snazzy title.

i'm such a dweeb.

babyshower gifts under $10??? I am already giving "The Baby Book" which is $20. not sure I want to spend more but i feel like that isn't enough. maybe some cute onesies would do it. ??
Make something like this with onesies or even baby washcloths or socks. or I love to make diaper cakes for shower gifts, you can make a little one with a receiving blanket, a prefold (if they don't CD, they can always use it as burp cloth) and some ribbon and baby washcloths...I have some pics on my homepage of diaper cakes I've done, they're so easy, you can make them pretty cheap and they are a nice pretty gift

Ange - if you're reading I'm not ignoring you! I lost your PM, read it, lost my response to it, and well, argh! you know how it is...

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

Old 07-17-2007, 01:36 PM

User Tag List