June 2006 Mamas - July Chat Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 366 Old 07-01-2007, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're toddlers! :

We're giving high fives, cruising, crawling normally, throwing a ball, eating anything and everything, and basically wreaking thoroughly enjoyable havoc.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 12:08 AM

Hi! Harper chases the cat around yelling "meow, meow!" She is also into body parts all of a sudden. She'll point at my toes and then hers, lift her shirt and poke her bellybutton, that kind of thing. So we sang "head, shoulders, knees and toes," and she was fascinated.

She's cutting tooth 11-ish and is on some kind of solids strike. Except today, she caved and tried a strawberry banana crepe. I have yet to have her try any other "milk" besides mine. I don't know what I'd pick. We don't drink milk, and rice milk isn't super nutritious, and I don't want to go crazy with soy for her. I'm ok with tofu here and there, but not something as a main staple. What's everyone else doing? Does it matter? I'm not looking to do it to replace BM, either. Just for new tastes/options for when I'm away and she rejectse EBM.
#3 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 AM

Haven't tried cow's milk or any other yet. Interested in goat's, but... I just don't really care. She luhhhh-huuuuves yogurt, so that's good enough for me.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#4 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 12:14 AM

Oh my goodness, here we are.

Bastian's attained two new nicknames this week: Danger Baby and Bazgul.

Danger Baby because in three days he managed to fall face first into the coffee table (black eye), trip with a soft-straw cup (bloody lip), and knock a store display over on himself while I was at work (scrape down his cheek). He also figured out how to climb up to and stand up on the seat of his big sister's tricycle so he can rock out and ring the bell. Doesn't hold on to anything. He literally dances up there.

And Bazgul because he's acquired a new level of shriek that sounds an awful lot like the Nazguls in Lord of the Rings. We were camping with friends last weekend and Mike, husband of twins plus a toddler -- so fairly used to a lot of noise -- gifted him with that one in honor of the intensity and pitch Bastian manages to reach. These are usually happy shrieks, mind you. Just very, very loud.
#5 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 01:25 AM

. I'm not really here, cause I still have a baby, not a toddler
lalalalalalalalala my baby is STILL A BABY! She is NOT A TODDLER! LALALALALALALALA

We just got back from our first camping trip. it was cold at night, and ruby was teething each night... so lots of crying... and not much sleeping. I'm gonna fold some laundry and then knit for a bit till I pass out.

With my baby.

who is not a toddler.

I'm only here to see what YOUR toddlers are up to.

cause my baby is still a baby.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#6 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
Hi! Harper chases the cat around yelling "meow, meow!" She is also into body parts all of a sudden. She'll point at my toes and then hers, lift her shirt and poke her bellybutton, that kind of thing. So we sang "head, shoulders, knees and toes," and she was fascinated.

She's cutting tooth 11-ish and is on some kind of solids strike. Except today, she caved and tried a strawberry banana crepe. I have yet to have her try any other "milk" besides mine. I don't know what I'd pick. We don't drink milk, and rice milk isn't super nutritious, and I don't want to go crazy with soy for her. I'm ok with tofu here and there, but not something as a main staple. What's everyone else doing? Does it matter? I'm not looking to do it to replace BM, either. Just for new tastes/options for when I'm away and she rejectse EBM.
Evie is super into body parts too. She'll actually point to my nose if I ask her where's mommy's nose? and Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes is perfect!!! Why didn't I think of that? I bet Ev would love it! Not to mention Caleb would have a blast trying to teach it to her.

We're doing cow's milk here. After the breastfeeding strike last month, I'm all dried up. I don't know how important milk really is though. I asked the ped the other day when we were there for both kids' well baby checks. My oldest doesn't drink much milk. He said as long as he's eating yogurt and cheese, it's not necessary to actually drink the milk. He said that even the calcium fortified juice is ok. So, my little plan of Caleb having to listen to the doctor tell him to drink at least 2 glasses of milk backfired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
. I'm not really here, cause I still have a baby, not a toddler
lalalalalalalalala my baby is STILL A BABY! She is NOT A TODDLER! LALALALALALALALA

We just got back from our first camping trip. it was cold at night, and ruby was teething each night... so lots of crying... and not much sleeping. I'm gonna fold some laundry and then knit for a bit till I pass out.

With my baby.

who is not a toddler.

I'm only here to see what YOUR toddlers are up to.

cause my baby is still a baby.

:

Evie went to the ped for the wbc on Thurs. She's 21# 8 oz and 32 1/2 in. So the doc said she's the height of an average 18 mo. She's going to be sooo tall!
#7 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 02:43 AM

Nicole! I got the MT! Evie loves it! She cuddled right up in it and got the biggest smile on her face. She almost fell asleep in it just walking around the house. I think it will come in handy on those super clingy days that we seem to be having more and more of around here. Thanks again!!
#8 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

We do raw whole cow's milk here for S2. We have a milk man and everything. It's adorable. If I had enough EBM to give her, I would, but I don't, so feel the need to replace the fat elsewhere. We can't afford to keep avocados in the house, and she actually really likes the milk.

J, however, is getting nothing, no matter how many times the doc tells me I should start him on rice cereal "'cause at 6 months his iron stores will be depleted, and HE WON'T GET ANY MORE IRON!! HE CAN ONLY GET IRON FROM RICE CEREAL!" Um, what about breast milk?

Korin, my baby is still a baby too, even though she looks like a kid. Her baby face is all but gone.

We say:
"Gee" (hard G) dog
"Dada!"
"Mama!" but only when we're upset or crying. Any other time, it's dadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadada all the live-long day.
"Ja Ja" Jack Jack
"Diddy" sissy
"bah bah!" bye bye
"Mah!" mine! or more
and, when we walk past her carrying ANY plate of food..."mmmMMMMMmmmm"

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#9 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm calling it - as of last Friday, I have a walker. Life is about to get a lot more interesting around here.

I just realized this morning that she says 'thank you' when you hand her something - she says, "dih dah" and smiles, and does it regularly enough to be sure that's what she means. Ca-yoot! She's also very helpful - or at least way more helpful than D was at this age - she likes to help clean up (especially likes putting toys in bins, and wiping her tray off after a meal), and is cooperative when I ask her to bring me somehting if I don't want her playing with it. Also - while she puts almost everything in her mouth, she will NOT swallow something if it's not food - she just holds it in her mouth and chews on it until I extract it. I find that fascinating. She also recently has started liking carrying stuffed toys around - which couldn't make me happier, because I am a fan of stuffed toys, especially unusual ones. She'll often walk around pickin gup as many as she can hang on to and then just walk around with a big smile on her face.

I love toddlerhood. Though I could deal without the shrieking tantrums.

There are 3 cow milk lovers in this house (even though we're not cows , but K is not interested thus far - I offered her some with her cake at her party, and she declined and stuck with her water She loves cheese and yogurt, and I'm not sweating it. I know she doesn't "need" milk; I know the nutrients she needs, and I'll be sure she gets them in some form. She's still nursing 4-5 times a day, and eating a good portion of regular food so I'm not worried in the slightest.

We had a great time on her birthday, and at her party. Will post a picture linky some time this week, as I have a ton of pics to sort through.

Happy toddlerhood everyone! Everyone except Korin, since Ruby is still a baby.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#10 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 11:39 AM

Um, so I feel more and more like Diane Keaton in the beginning of "Baby Boom" where she's at the park, saying "The child doesn't even hold a cup..."

Maybe I'm just too clueless, but it doesn't seem that Nevie has any words. Sometimes I think she has a version of Mama ("Yaya"), but I'm not betting the farm on it. She signs a few things really regularly, and is a total (unintelligible) chatterbox... so, I guess she's just waiting for the right thing to say. Like her father. But she likes to woof-woof after the dog, and her latest trick is trying to whistle if she sees a bird (or something bird-like).

Still no interest in standing on her own. It's becoming sooooo obvious that this is a choice. She's very strong, fast, and a good climber -- so all the basic abilities are there. She just doesn't give a cr*p yet. No big. All the longer for her core muscles to get strong and protect her lower back throughout her lifetime... yeah, that's it.

So, technically, she isn't toddling. I get to claim baby sanctuary as well.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#11 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 11:39 AM

oh, i hope no one is offended by my comment about cows milk. when i was pregnant I craved it like CRAZY. drank whole milk by the gallon. we have a milk allergy in my fam, so if I can help it, Ruby will never taste it. Cheese, ice cream and the like are a different story (although she has yet to taste those too)

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#12 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
oh, i hope no one is offended by my comment about cows milk.
Not even. I know that we don't need cow's milk, we just happen to love the taste of it here (well, 3 out of 4 of us do, anyway)....Ja used to drink raw milk from his uncle's farm, and said it was amazing. I've never had raw milk. I dunno if I'd like it though, whole milk isn't my bag for drinking (for cooking though, YES.)...I'm a 1% gal, myself. I know the necessity of cow's milk is one of many things that is debated here at MDC...and I plant myself in the 'I don't need it, but I like it so I have it - just like chocolate and french fries' category. . No worries, Korin.

#13 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
Also - while she puts almost everything in her mouth, she will NOT swallow something if it's not food - she just holds it in her mouth and chews on it until I extract it.
s2 does this too. it's bizarre.

Quote:
oh, i hope no one is offended by my comment about cows milk.
not at all.

I think I might get S2 allergy tested. We cut out dairy and eggs, and her shiners were gone for a while, but now they're back without the fun of eating dairy and eggs! Gluten, maybe? We don't eat soy, so that's not it. Hmm...the mind reels. She's got her 15 month (!) WBV in a few weeks (next week?) so we'll talk to the ped then about getting her tested. I'm also wondering if MY deep dark eye circles and the bumps on my arms and thighs are a result of a food allergy. I wonder what having smooth, soft skin is like?

#14 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 12:11 PM

Hi! I'm with Korin. I don't have a toddler, but I'm sure interested in hearing about yours!

Cows milk--
good discussion.
My pediatrician says milk is great for ages 2-20. I think this is a convenience factor-- get nutrients in them as easily as possible. I, for one, hate milk. I don't remember when I started hating it. And I think the whole "milk is necessary for a well-balanced diet" is really a result of the dairy lobby. DH's opinion: he says "you do know that kids drink milk, right?"
But I don't see the need to give P milk, even if he were to wean at 2. I know it's not necessary, but I also don't know that it's even really that healthy. Dr. Jay Gordon and other such nutritionists argue otherwise. Also, there is research which shows that societies that drink lots of milk actually have worse bone health than those that don't. It seems to me that as long as I make sure he's getting his nutrients, it doesn't matter how. I do wonder, though, how easy that will be.
I would consider offering soy milk or almond milk, but this makes my anti-cow milk argument illogical. How can I state that milk isn't necessary and then offer him non-dairy milk?

It seems CLW is the answer-- the kid takes milk as long as they need it, then when they don't need it, they stop. I believe CLW is the way to go, but I'm not sure I can do it. What if he's 5 or 6 and nursing? I still find this a little strange : (sorry, I know intellectually that it's not) and I know DH would.

Hmmm.
#15 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Not even. I know that we don't need cow's milk, we just happen to love the taste of it here (well, 3 out of 4 of us do, anyway)....Ja used to drink raw milk from his uncle's farm, and said it was amazing. I've never had raw milk. I dunno if I'd like it though, whole milk isn't my bag for drinking (for cooking though, YES.)...I'm a 1% gal, myself. I know the necessity of cow's milk is one of many things that is debated here at MDC...and I plant myself in the 'I don't need it, but I like it so I have it - just like chocolate and french fries' category. . No worries, Korin.
I've had raw milk-- I think it's a much stronger taste. I agree-- after being used to low fat milk, drinking whole milk is just weird to me. (My parents drank the farm fresh stuff, too)
#16 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiejon1 View Post
Nicole! I got the MT! Evie loves it! She cuddled right up in it and got the biggest smile on her face. She almost fell asleep in it just walking around the house. I think it will come in handy on those super clingy days that we seem to be having more and more of around here. Thanks again!!
Glad you like it!
I find that one great for back carries.

I refuse to belive in todlerhood!

we are close to walking,but not yet.
we eat everything in site,including not food items : .the vaccume and I are good friends.

Leahanne~ I am interested in tod petietes FBs if you are willing to sell any!
I have some pf's up for grabs if anyone is interested.

the kids drink lots of milk here not lulu so much she has had it and has mannaged to swallow some,but mostly cheese and yogurt. ricotta in lasagna and mostly cooked milk.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#17 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 02:34 PM

Milk is funny...I had a feelin' bad for cows moment the other day. We went to a local farm with a little petting zoo, and there were signs all over about how good milk is for you. Then it said that a cow is first bred at about 13 months, then she starts producing milk when the calf is born, then the calf is taken away at a few months, and she's bred again. Then she is given "a break," as the sign put it, 7 months into her pregnancy and dries up until the next calf is born 2 months after that. Wow! But then I had an ice cream. Am complete hypocrite.

On the whole need for a "milk," my interest lies in the fact that it's easier to get liquids into Harper than solids at times. When I am gone for a few hours, she rejects pumped milk, which drives me CRAZY. So I stopped pumping, which at least makes mornings a little easier. I am wondering if she'd like the taste of something a little more nutrient rich than water, but there seem to be drawbacks for everything. I like almond milk, but I wonder if that falls under the no nuts before age two guideline. I am really leery of nuts, personally.

Sarah, interesting. Does S2 have other symptoms or just the circles? I've had dark circles my entire life (and been on the anemic side too), and I've never tested as allergic to anything, nor did they get better when I did full elimination diets. OTOH, there is soy in everything, even if you don't drink pure soy milk or eat tofu. If you eat anything processed at all (say, cereal, anything with coloring or flavoring), chances are there is some soy in in already. The US actually eats more soy than most asian countries for that reason. Soy was harder for me to eliminate than dairy, actually, at least at trace level. And then there's the rest of the top 8, including corn, peanut, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, in addition to what you've mentioned already.
#18 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Milk is funny...I had a feelin' bad for cows moment the other day. We went to a local farm with a little petting zoo, and there were signs all over about how good milk is for you. Then it said that a cow is first bred at about 13 months, then she starts producing milk when the calf is born, then the calf is taken away at a few months, and she's bred again. Then she is given "a break," as the sign put it, 7 months into her pregnancy and dries up until the next calf is born 2 months after that. Wow! But then I had an ice cream. Am complete hypocrite.
Here, too - I feel badly...but not badly enough, and then I feel like a jerk. I feel this way about meat, too. But not badly enough to go veg. And about other NFL stuff, too. Yup, big hypocritical jerk here.

#19 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Here, too - I feel badly...but not badly enough, and then I feel like a jerk. I feel this way about meat, too. But not badly enough to go veg. And about other NFL stuff, too. Yup, big hypocritical jerk here.
Wait, are you guys talking about me?
#20 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Yep, that's exactly what I think when I think of you. big jerk. big big big ol jerk. yup. that's you.

I loves me some jerk! :

I was a veg for 12 years. now. not so much. do I feel bad? sometimes, but as my good friend Lyn says.. "Meat is murder, Tasty, tasty murder"

#21 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 05:39 PM

Speaking of tasty murder....

Look what I found on the side of the road today. What do you all think it is?

sorry, not a toddler topic per se...but I may get lil ant a fish for it.
#22 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 05:44 PM

i'd use it to block knitted hats or put jello in it.

#23 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
jello! Now that is an awesome idea!

I'm slightly afraid that it is haunted. :
#24 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
Speaking of tasty murder....

Look what I found on the side of the road today. What do you all think it is?

sorry, not a toddler topic per se...but I may get lil ant a fish for it.
Quote:
Big fat jello head,now there's a center peice for the next family dinner!

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#25 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 07:47 PM

Fireant, I think my husband would use that as some receptacle for beer fermentation. At least that's the first thing that came to my mind.

I strongly concur that it must be haunted.

WBV today... 19 pounds, 29 inches. So... there you go. And all that. She is currently delighting herself with the OBNOXIOUS AS HE!! toy that one of my relatives gave her on Saturday. We stopped in to her school today and dropped off all her supplies. They're kosher w/ the fuzzi bunz, hooray... though I am selfishly VERY GLAD she was wearing a Huggies when she had her poo today.

I am delighting (ha) myself with frying up all the leftover hamburger meat from Saturday's bash. I wayyyy overbought on Costco hamburger patties. They're the size of serving platter and as thick as a couch cushion, so I guess I didn't need to buy one for each guest. Some is frying up for later use and I made meatloafs out of the others.

#26 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sarah, interesting. Does S2 have other symptoms or just the circles? I've had dark circles my entire life (and been on the anemic side too), and I've never tested as allergic to anything, nor did they get better when I did full elimination diets. OTOH, there is soy in everything, even if you don't drink pure soy milk or eat tofu. If you eat anything processed at all (say, cereal, anything with coloring or flavoring), chances are there is some soy in in already. The US actually eats more soy than most asian countries for that reason. Soy was harder for me to eliminate than dairy, actually, at least at trace level. And then there's the rest of the top 8, including corn, peanut, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, in addition to what you've mentioned already.
Just the circles so far as we can tell. Of course I have 'em, as does my mom and my sister and my grandmother and my aunt, SO, it's either a wicked familial allergy, or just genetic dark circles. Who knows? Maybe we won't get her tested. She handles nuts just fine, with no adverse effects whatsoever. We haven't tried any fish yet, and she doesn't have enough teeth to chew corn, so we stay away from that too.

Just babbling away here.....

#27 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmama View Post
Big fat jello head,now there's a center peice for the next family dinner!
yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Fireant, I think my husband would use that as some receptacle for beer fermentation. At least that's the first thing that came to my mind.

I strongly concur that it must be haunted.

WBV today... 19 pounds, 29 inches. So... there you go. And all that. She is currently delighting herself with the OBNOXIOUS AS HE!! toy that one of my relatives gave her on Saturday. We stopped in to her school today and dropped off all her supplies. They're kosher w/ the fuzzi bunz, hooray... though I am selfishly VERY GLAD she was wearing a Huggies when she had her poo today.
: beer receptacle...
Do you guys remember the TV series friday the 13th? with all the haunted antiques? yikes!

how come everyone else has a tiny baby and I have a ginormous one?

lil ant can find her chicken-dance elmo wherever we hide it...that is the number one most obnoxious toy...not only does he sing and dance to his own ego song but his neck is broken so it sounds like a mini-machine gun is going off as he cranks it around.
#28 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
Just the circles so far as we can tell. Of course I have 'em, as does my mom and my sister and my grandmother and my aunt, SO, it's either a wicked familial allergy, or just genetic dark circles. Who knows? Maybe we won't get her tested. She handles nuts just fine, with no adverse effects whatsoever. We haven't tried any fish yet, and she doesn't have enough teeth to chew corn, so we stay away from that too.

Just babbling away here.....
poor FM! What size is she in now? I have some NEW clothes for her...again.
#29 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
poor FM! What size is she in now? I have some NEW clothes for her...again.
still in 18m.

tooth #8 erupted today. maybe the crazy sleeping baby will go on vacation and the normal sleep-well-but-stays-awake-long-enough-to-see-daddy baby will come home.

#30 of 366 Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 PM

Um... okay.... so toddlers huh?

I laughed because Korin said she wasn't a cow, but then Megan said she has a kid and she is thinking about being a goat. And wondered if Korin was vegan and didn't eat any dairy products but then remembered that Korin is a coconut That made sense again.

My baby urm, toddler, keeps bonking his head. I will never get pictures.

I'm becoming more crunchy each day....

I like meat : And I like to dunk my cookies in cow's milk. Does that count as drinking? I do like chocolate cows... Yes, chocolate cows are good..... especially when shaken.....Um, that is all I can think of and now I must go eat.

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page