Comforting a LO with Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-02-2007, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Man, days like this I feel like a comletely HORRIBLE mother for having to work and send DS to school. He has contracted hand foot and mouth disease that is going around the older infant room at daycare.

Any moms with experience, how do I make my poor baby feel comfortable until this passes?

Julie, proud graduate of the AOW 3 year program in the study of boobology . Me : + DH : = Super Bubba !
#2 of 8 Old 07-02-2007, 06:27 PM

No experience, but for you.
#3 of 8 Old 07-02-2007, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie9 View Post
No experience, but for you.
Thanks so much Casey it always amazes me how a virtual hug from someone I've never met can almost make me cry, btw our LO's are the same age!

Julie, proud graduate of the AOW 3 year program in the study of boobology . Me : + DH : = Super Bubba !
#4 of 8 Old 07-02-2007, 07:03 PM

I don't know if this makes you feel any better but Hand Foot & Mouth can be contracted anywhere, not just from a school. I hope the rest of your family remains unaffected! It's miserable!

If your DS has sores in his mouth try giving him frozen fruit or applesauce. The cold can be soothing.

I hope things pass quickly for you!!!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#5 of 8 Old 07-02-2007, 10:22 PM

Are there any natural remedies that can help him get over it faster? I'm thinking maybe a drop of tea tree oil in some honey or something like that. Tea Tree oil can knock strep right out and is amazing at bacterial and viral infections. You can put the oil on any blisters on the hands and feet. Lavender is soothing.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#6 of 8 Old 07-03-2007, 08:18 AM

I really feel for you - ds had this earlier this year, then dh caught it too

He ate lots of yogurt - the cold was nice on his mouth sores and it was thick and kind of coated it. Lots of bland, soft food if he'll eat it.

Other than that, we just treated his fever when it got really high and he was very uncomfortable and made sure he got lots of rest and snuggles.

IMO, let him eat what he wants when he wants and just try to get through it. How long has he been sick? For us, it lasted about 10 days I think.

You can also buy little mouth sponges to clean their mouths out. I forget what they're called but they are pink sponges on a stick.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#7 of 8 Old 07-03-2007, 01:14 PM

Hugs mama. We had hand, foot and mouth a few months back and it stunk!!!!
We just gave ds tylenol to treat his fever when needed and made sure he got lots of fluid. Luckily he is still nursing so I just made the boob constantly available and that seemed to help him. I would definately check out the tea tree oil and lavender options - wish I would have known that.
Good luck!

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#8 of 8 Old 07-03-2007, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much mommas, I just called DH who is home with poor DS. I gave him his marching order...off to Whole Foods for tea tree oli!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page