Why non- flouride toothpaste?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2007, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone enlighten me? We have not been using any toothpaste so far. But ds has a chipped front tooth that is now beginning to color(light brown). I made him an appointment with a ped dentist for Thursday but would like to be educated going in. Help please!
TIA
April

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007, 02:23 PM

An excessive amount of fluoride can cause brittle bones (skeletal flourosis) and small children are not always able to grasp the concept of spitting the toothpaste out after brushing with it.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisette's_Maman View Post
An excessive amount of fluoride can cause brittle bones (skeletal flourosis) and small children are not always able to grasp the concept of spitting the toothpaste out after brushing with it.
Yep, and also because they're so small, a little flouride can do more damage in their bodies than it can in an adult's body. I'm not very up to speed on the specifics, but I know that putting flouride in our drinking water was/is a controversial thing because flouride is toxic. My understanding is that it's kind of like the radiation in x-rays. A little bit, not usually a big deal, but repeated exposure over time can be a problem. You might be able to google it, or some other ladies more informed than I might be along on your thread here.

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

Old 07-03-2007, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

At what age did you all start using toothpaste? We don't use any right now. I looked at the Tom's of Maine at WFoods and that is prob what we will get but I am concerned about ds just trying to eat/suck the paste. We have a hard enough time getting him to brush.
:

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
Old 07-03-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisette's_Maman View Post
: Flouride is poison. If my child had a SEVERE decay problem I would use a VERY small amt. of flouride toothpaste under VERY close supervision.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:07 PM

We use Weleda's Children's toothpaste. No flouride, all natural, etc., etc., We started somewhere around 18-20 months, give or take. As with anything new, "perfecting" the technique of brushing was not the priority. It was just to get him acclimated to this new experience. We now brush twice daily and it is part of the routine.

Mama to DS born 11/21/04

User Tag List