Will you choose a seat for MY toddler?ANOTHER UPDATE:BRU WAS RIGHT - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the clarifications on my recap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Ok,I just found some info on the Recaro that they sell at BRU.It said they only harness to 40lbs.
That's the Young Start, their old combination seat (harness to 40, booster to 80)

The new seats, the Como/Signo, are being released shortly and have the new specs
#63 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis337 View Post
And just for fun, let me say that I just came back from testing some Radians at my local baby store (A boutique, NOT a BRU or big box) and the tech that works there (YES!!! a tech, free for my use to pick his brain and even let my kids sit in the seats prior to purchase and have his opinion on what best fits them!) told me that Britax won't be shipping anymore Regents until SEPTEMBER. They, of course, are out of Regents, and nobody else locally stocks them. You apparently can't even get them directly from Britax, so if you want one you may have to search around. I noticed that several online retailers are also out of stock. September is a loooong time to wait for a carseat.

On the happy side, I discovered my toddler's ff'ing harness seat goes to 40 lbs, so I only need to buy 1 seat.
They are wrong -- Britax is shipping Regents left and right (I have a friend who is a retailer who just turned over a whole load of the new girly cover ones)... they were out of stock for a while when the Kyle-video uproar began but they are definitely sending them out now. And BRU started carrying them since then and ours has them in stock (I was looking for the new manual -- they've released a TOTALLY new manual with their brand-new Regents).
#64 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 01:13 PM

Hmmm. Ok, thanks. My local Toys R Us (which houses the BRU in our area, and it's not very worthwhile) doesn't stock ANY Britax (I even had to spell it THREE TIMES) - they looked at me as if I had three heads when I inquired about them, as they had none on the display shelves And I did just see some Regents instock online. I'm taking my 6 yo to the retailer this afternoon to see how he'd fit in a Radian...I think he's going to be too tall already to justify the purchase though, and I'll end up wanting the Regent anyway. Thank goodness my younger son's harness will carry him up to 40 lbs!! I showed Mom some of the crash test video and she's the one buying this seat.
#65 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Gah, it has nothing to do with "britax worshipping". I hate that seemingly snide attitude about people who own them. ... So please, let's not be unkind, ok?
I don't have a snide attitude about Britax owners, we had a Roundabout and loved it. We attempted to move up to a Regent based on our prior good experience with Britax and based largely on reviews and commentary from MDC. I personally think the unkindness started with the comment upthread about laughing at reviews that the Regent is too big. To me it was no laughing matter to waste my money having it shipped back and forth.

At this point I think anyone considering a Regent should be fully aware that it is extremely large and cumbersome, both in and out of the vehicle; and that max height/weight guidelines are somewhat irrelevant over a certain point since realistically most people are not actually going to use the seat to those max guidelines anyway. Furthermore I would not be at all surprised if more innovative products come out over the next couple years that can provide the safety features parents are looking for for bigger kids without the drawbacks of the bulk and difficulty of use we see with current products.
#66 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
I don't have a snide attitude about Britax owners, we had a Roundabout and loved it. We attempted to move up to a Regent based on our prior good experience with Britax and based largely on reviews and commentary from MDC. I personally think the unkindness started with the comment upthread about laughing at reviews that the Regent is too big. To me it was no laughing matter to waste my money having it shipped back and forth.

At this point I think anyone considering a Regent should be fully aware that it is extremely large and cumbersome, both in and out of the vehicle; and that max height/weight guidelines are somewhat irrelevant over a certain point since realistically most people are not actually going to use the seat to those max guidelines anyway. Furthermore I would not be at all surprised if more innovative products come out over the next couple years that can provide the safety features parents are looking for for bigger kids without the drawbacks of the bulk and difficulty of use we see with current products.
My comment about the review I read was only meant to remind buyers to do their research. The review in question gave the seat 2 stars out of 5 solely on the size of the seat. The purchaser had obviously not researched thoroughly, and was completely disgusted that the large Regent wouldn't fit into her vehicle, and she dragged the rating average down based on her lack of research. I've never seen a Regent product description on any online website/retailer that didn't very clearly specify the size and bulk of the seat, and some even go so far as to say "this seat is ENORMOUS".

I have equal lack of sympathy for the Britax Parkway review I read yesterday that gave the seat 1 out of 5 stars b/c the purchaser's TWO YEAR OLD wouldn't/couldn't stay seated in it. The Parkway is a BOOSTER, meant only for use with a seatbelt for passenger restraint, and the reviewer was quite upset that since her 2/5 yo child met the lower weight limit, surely the seat must be appropriate for him. She berated the manufacturer and retailer for selling a seat so clearly un-usable as it's rated. This sort of review makes no sense to me at all, and while I know it's horribly frustrating to spend that much money and have an item not perform as you expected, there is a level of buyer responsibility involved in purchases like this.

As for me, I buy what I can afford that's best for my kids. I'm fortunate right now that my own mother is so upset by the video I've shown her that she wants to buy all brand new, higher weight limit seats. I do realize how lucky I am that she's offered to do this, even for her own vehicle where they only ride about once every 2 or 3 weeks.
#67 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 01:51 PM

I still think the Regent is the best seat out there for what it does. However after trying to fit a Husky in the back seat of our only vehicle and having it not even come close to fitting I think its important to note to people just how huge the seat is. In our truck we could barely get the Husky to fit in the back seat. There was no room at all for legs to fit in or anything like that. I'm sure this isn't an issue for most of the Britax loving crowd, but it's a big issue for some people. As my 5 year old dd is already too tall for a Regent if it would have fit you can bet we would have made that seat work some way even if it meant eating beans and rice for months to save up the money.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#68 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so we went to BRU to see the Regent.They had it and my husband was really sold on it.We get a cart bring the box to the register and THEY WOULDN"T SELL IT to us.They said it was RECALLED two days ago.UHG!!!

Now I'm off to cyber world to see what I can find out about that.

#69 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 06:28 PM

Probably an old recall that they didn't take care of. Do you remember what the model # was? This was the last Regent recall.

"Britax Child Safety, Inc. (“Britax”) has determined that certain Britax Regent® car seats, model number E9L3998 with fabric designation Classic, manufactured from December 18, 2006, through January 18, 2007, fail to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 213, “Child Restraint Systems”."

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#70 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
Probably an old recall that they didn't take care of. Do you remember what the model # was? This was the last Regent recall.

"Britax Child Safety, Inc. (“Britax”) has determined that certain Britax Regent® car seats, model number E9L3998 with fabric designation Classic, manufactured from December 18, 2006, through January 18, 2007, fail to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 213, “Child Restraint Systems”."
I didn't see the model # but I did notice that it was made in 2007.But when they were trying to figure out why the register said it couldn't be sold they went to some other computer and then turned around and told us it had been recalled just 2 days ago.Now,I'm not completely confident they knew what they were talking about but...I'm not sure now if I should try to buy one from a different store or not.I don't want to order one online because if it won't fit in my car I don't want to pay to send it back.

#71 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 06:39 PM

IIRC (which I may not -- I might be mixing it up with another recall) it was recalled for a missing/wrong label on the seat?
#72 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 06:41 PM

I saw a sticker/notice about this at my local baby store while looking at the Radian today, and the details on it seemed to be more about the way the seat was stickered, and not necessarily the performance of the seat itself. Check the Britax website - they have their recalls listed and detailed.

Britax Recalls
#73 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 06:41 PM

Model(s): Regent Classic - E9L3998 - Forward-facing only youth child restraint
Production Dates: December 18, 2006 - January 18, 2007
Noncompliance: These seats were produced with an incorrect label sewn to the fabric cover which fails to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 213, "Child Restraints Systems." In place of the "WARNING! Death or serious injury can occur" warning label, an airbag warning label was attached. The airbag warning label is not required for the Regent Classic restraint as it is a forward-facing only youth restraint system.
Corrective Action: Owners that have filed a registration card with Britax will automatically receive a replacement cover. Owners or caregivers who have not filed a registration form should contact Britax Consumer Services Department at 1-888-4britax (1-888-427-4829) or via email at regentcoverreplacement@britaxusa.com. The recall is expected to begin on March 9, 2007.
NHTSA No.: 07C-002
[Britax Safety Recall No.: BCS# 020701]
#74 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelfqueen View Post
IIRC (which I may not -- I might be mixing it up with another recall) it was recalled for a missing/wrong label on the seat?
That's all I could find on the Britax website so I'm thinking that somehow the people at BRU were confused about it being recalled 2 days ago.That seat cover recall was from March.

#75 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 06:55 PM

So, BRU not always being the easiest place to work with, I'm wondering if they just don't have their info right. Can you contact Britax directly? There was also a recall last year in Nov for the way the top tether was being used, but that shouldn't effect a seat manufactured in 2007.
#76 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so now I just called another BRU in my area and the guy said they didn't have any.They were recalled because they were too hard to install properly and they were going to add a kit to make them easier to install.

And when I was in the first store trying to buy the seat the guy in there told me he had a lady return one because it slipped right off the seat and her kid's head got all banged up.I'm sure that's because it wasn't installed correctly.

#77 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So, BRU not always being the easiest place to work with, I'm wondering if they just don't have their info right. Can you contact Britax directly? There was also a recall last year in Nov for the way the top tether was being used, but that shouldn't effect a seat manufactured in 2007.
That's a good idea.I'll see if Britax has an email or phone number.

#78 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Absolutely not. Last I checked, there was no 'good' age to be decapitated by a seatbelt or thrown from a moving automobile.
Yes. This.

:Mama to 2 :
#79 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 07:31 PM

I spent over an hour with the carseat tech at my local baby store this afternoon, and he was adamant that any PROPERLY installed carseat is hard to put in. No matter what make or manufactur. And if it's easy, you've probably missed something. And esepcially the Britax and Radian seats - he didn't recommend anyone install them other than a CPST.
#80 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
I spent over an hour with the carseat tech at my local baby store this afternoon, and he was adamant that any PROPERLY installed carseat is hard to put in. No matter what make or manufactur. And if it's easy, you've probably missed something. And esepcially the Britax and Radian seats - he didn't recommend anyone install them other than a CPST.
He sounds incompetent. Britax convertibles are the easiest seats on the market to install. I've installed probably dozens of different kinds of seats. I've yet to see one go in as easy as a Britax convertible. Radians can be a bit of a PITA but are still quite doable. Seriously, someone should report that guy to SafeKids...he sounds dangerous :

As far as BRU recalling the Regent because it's HARD TO INSTALL? Give me a FLIPPIN' BREAK! IT'S NOT HARD TO INSTALL IF YOU READ THE FLIPPIN' MANUAL!!!!!!!!!

Gah. I need a drink.
#81 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Total and complete BS.

We've installed our boulevard in numerous cars now without a problem.

-Angela
#82 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not worried about getting it installed.I'll figure it out.I just want to know where I can buy one.

#83 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Banned

http://www.albeebaby.com/brreyocarsei3.html

Free, fast shipping and great C/S ime
#84 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
http://www.albeebaby.com/brreyocarsei3.html

Free, fast shipping and great C/S ime
Thanks.
I would like to buy it at a store (not on line)so that if it doesn't fit in my car I don't have to pay to ship it back.
I'm not sure where to look though.

#85 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I ordered DD1's regent from http://www.babyuniverse.com/?rc=CJ
they said they next batch of madison regent's should be shipping out around the 13th. I really wanted the latest DOM I could find because this seat will be passed to DD2 someday.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#86 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Thanks.
I would like to buy it at a store (not on line)so that if it doesn't fit in my car I don't have to pay to ship it back.
I'm not sure where to look though.
Hmmm, order from Target.com and if doesn't work then return it to a local Target store.

#87 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Total and complete BS.

We've installed our boulevard in numerous cars now without a problem.

-Angela
I have installed DD1's MA in over 15 cars, trucks, jeeps, vans, and never once had an install issue, and I'm no tech.

#88 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 08:13 PM

I think his reason for making that statement was to emphasize how important carseat installs are, and that it's important to have it checked out by a tech. I've installed dozens of seats myself, and have even had techs ask me if I'm a tech in disguise, since I rarely come in with an improperly installed seat. But I'm not going to trust myself, since I'm NOT a certified technician. Easy it may be, but that doesn't always mean it's installed correctly. That was his point.
#89 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Ok,yet another question.

Is it required that you use a tether when using the vehicle seat belts to install the Regent.

#90 of 128 Old 07-06-2007, 08:50 PM

You can download the manual in pdf format on the Britax site, and it will tell you clearly in the manual. But from MY understanding of it, you are not required to use the tether, rather it's an option for those who have vehicles equipped for it. It is clear, however, that AFTER 48lbs of child weight the tether/latch option is not to be used, as it's not rated/tested for use after that point.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page