Mothering Forum banner

When your house is suddenly quiet...

2K views 51 replies 48 participants last post by  cherubess 
#1 ·
What have you caught your toddler doing when you suddenly realized that it's been really quiet and went to check.

I was cooking dinner today and saw that DS was playing with my make-up case, just taking things out and putting them back in. He was being really quiet and I thought to myself "he's being so good tonight, letting me cook and entertaining himself so sweetly"

Well, he painted one half of his face with my black eyeliner and the other half with my golden eyeliner!

He looked like a chimneysweep with gold dust

See less See more
#3 ·
Getting up onto his changing table and dusting himself with baby powder.

Going into my bedroom and taking DVDs out of the cases.

Going through my purse.

If I'm lucky, he's playing in his room with his trucks. He has this tendency to line things up. I've seen him lining up his cars and trucks, books, all the animals from his Little People playsets, etc. Slightly OCD, but most of us are, right?

#4 ·
playing with his daddy's treo phone...unwinding toilet paper...or sweetly reading a book in daddy's chair...or meticulously pulling out paper from one of mama's drawers...

what is it with this? Do they KNOW they're doing something naughty? must...but its so darn cute! had to lol at this thread.

the other day my friend and i found her 2.5 year old putting on mascara. it was H.i.l.a.r.i.o.u.s. She looked like a sad little clown.

#9 ·
Actually sitting quietly in her room reading - or standing on the chair in front of the computer (as I've repeatedly told her not to do) taking the items down from my bulletin board - or emptying the contents of one of our drawers into the gap behind a box propped up against the wall. Need a pen, paperclip, or lost a credit card? I know just where to look.

#10 ·
Standing atop a low table in our kitchen, with hand poised a quarter inch beyond the beak-reach of our little green-cheeked conure (small parrot).

Standing in the empty bathtub, playing with my razor.
It was not even close to bath time.

Holding her kitten off the floor with both hands clasped tightly round his neck, slowly throttling him by giving "sweet hugs."

Throwing our powdered drink mixes, dish towels, and various spices in the trash.
Now the trash cans are stacked on top of each other. And I am left to ponder, "What happened to my poppy seeds? Where is my cream of tartar?" because of the times I didn't catch her.

Sitting on top of her slumbering Daddy, triumphant as a conquering hero! (this PHOTO was taken last Sunday)

Climbing into the computer chair if we forget to push it in, and then up onto the desk... every.... single....time.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm trying to fend her off me right now like a wild monkey.

#11 ·
On top of the table playing with the laptop...
Emptying drawers, bins, baskets, etc....
Unraveling floss...
Penning and markering on herself, the couch, the table, etc...
Emptying half empty soda cans that Daddy leaves sitting aroiund...

And one time, I was doing something in the other room for about three minutes and didn't hear her and thought to myself, "Oh no! What is she into?" She was actually playing quietly with legos. It was the weirdest thing. I do think she knows when she's being naughty because when she's playing in an acceptable way, she's either chattering nonstop or demanding that I sit and watch her. She's usually quiet for a reason.

#13 ·
sitting on top of the kitchen table after climbing up there all by herself, slowly and systematically dismantling my purse/wallet

playing with the digital camera, sometimes she even takes photos

pulling the keys off of my laptop (thus, the right arrow, control and 7 keys are missing)

putting her blocks in the toilet

taking stuff out of the pantry and distributing it throughout the kitchen. who needs toys when you can play with cans and jars!

snuck outside into the backyard and splashing her hands in the fountain or pulling the poor tiny green tomatos off of daddy's tomato plant

taking everything out of our nightstands (where mommy and daddy keep some of their...ahem...toys
)

the silence is a good indicator that some mischief is being made.

#14 ·
silence is always a golden indicator of mischief...

daddy left the party mix out...
here are the pics...

got in mommas soaking trashcans...

he didn't know i was in the bathroom

this is how i was greated (how could i be mad?)

and he's been into a million other things...i just don't have the "proof" to show him...

#15 ·
Those pics are too cute!!!

Ok, when it's quiet here she's usually doing one of these:
- getting the Coke bottle from the fridge because she wants some (oh, how I regret having her try a tiny tiny sip once)
- "cleaning" the toilet with the toiletbrush

- climbing on the chair and getting stuff from the computer desk, like our digital camera, she even got a pair of scissors once

- opening a tube of whatever cream she can get her hands on (usually handcream or the baby oil gel) and put it all over her face and body.
- climbing on another chair and go through my box of nailpolish, clippers etc.

That's about it, although she comes up with new things regularly.

#17 ·
This week?? lol, let's see...

there was the Revlon Colorstay lipstick in bright red smears all over my new rug...

got his baby sister a snack a few times (i.e. an entire bag of goldfish which she is allowed to eat and peanut butter crackers which she is certainly NOT allowed to eat!!)...

put 13 cd's in the cd player (don't even KNOW how that happened...didn't notice until I tried to play music)...

umm...well I guess it was a quiet week here, lol!

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Petersmamma View Post
Getting up onto his changing table and dusting himself with baby powder.

Going into my bedroom and taking DVDs out of the cases.

Going through my purse.

If I'm lucky, he's playing in his room with his trucks. He has this tendency to line things up. I've seen him lining up his cars and trucks, books, all the animals from his Little People playsets, etc. Slightly OCD, but most of us are, right?

Wow, have our kids been comparing notes?? You could be talking about our house!

#24 ·
-taking out all the diaper wipes
-taking all my dirty clothes out of the hamper
-pretend talking on the phone in our bedroom
-going through my purse or DH's wallet
-standing on her toes and trying to reach something in our bedroom dresser
-putting my underwear on her head

-playing with my necklaces

#25 ·
emptying the spices and olive oil into a pan or onto the countertop
unrolling all the toilet paper
taking all of DH's computer games out of their cases and trying to put 5 discs into the cd tray at once
:
pouring out makeup, lotions, etc
squirting out entire bottles of ketchup, chocolate syrup, etc

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carley View Post
Naked & diaperless smearing fresh poo into the rug.
Pooping and smearing it on her head, or feeding it to the dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.