What does your baby weigh? Depressing! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't mean to start a flame or anything of that sort, but I was just reading the "What does your baby weigh" thread and I got so depressed reading it. My dd is just 15 months old and barely weighs 18 lbs.! I know that all kids grow at their own rates but sometimes I just feel like my life revolves around trying to fatten her up. I know there have to be other moms out there that feel like their toddler is the only "skinny" one on the block. Can you cheer me up?
#2 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 08:31 PM

Mine is 18 mos and 22 lbs. He's around 31 inches tall, so he's a smaller guy, and it seems that all the other toddlers we know are way bigger.

My dd has always been off the charts in height and up there in weight, so it's hard for me not to compare them or feel like he's somehow lacking. But he's healthy and bright!

It's difficult to let go of that big=healthy, better fed, more advanced mindset--even when we know it's not necessarily true. I think there's something hard-wired in us to desire big chubby babies!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#3 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 08:32 PM

O M G. I don't care how much she weighs, she's gorgeous. I just wanna grab her up and snuzzle her.
#4 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 08:33 PM

P.S Your baby and your photographs are gorgeous! And I love Prayer for a Child, too!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#5 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

ledzepplon and MoonGypsy you are so sweet. You made me smile, thanks!
#6 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 08:39 PM

Mine is 12 months old and weighs only 15lbs. Granted, she was a preemie, but that's small even among our preemie friends! So I totally understand.

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#7 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 08:39 PM

I have a tiny babe too - It is hard. She is now 26 months and weighs almost 23 lbs - she is tiny. I should say though that I don't seem to make fat babies - all of my kids have been skinny.

I do love chubby babies though - they look so healthy and plump - I have to stress out whenever my babe gets sick and the dr. recommends I feed her more fatty foods like Ice Cream and Avocado
#8 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 08:42 PM

My son is 23 lbs or so at 17 months. My girls were all tiny so he seems just massive to me. At 15 months my girls were 17-19 lbs. It's so hard not to worry when our little ones are tiny. I always wondered if people thought I didn't feed them!

Quote:
It's difficult to let go of that big=healthy, better fed, more advanced mindset--even when we know it's not necessarily true. I think there's something hard-wired in us to desire big chubby babies!
:

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#9 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Me too, and mine was on the big side until she hit 5 months and started crawling. At her 18 month appointment, she was still under 19 lbs. I was a peanut, too, though... and my mom felt like she *had* to fatten me up, so she was constantly giving me extra of high calorie foods or adding carnation instant breakfast to my milk. She attributes my having to be careful about my weight to this. My little sister, on the other hand, was also a peanut, but my mom by that time realized that her kids are just small and it was ok, so she didn't push things on my sister. My sister does not have ANY problems with having to watch her weight. My mom, therefore, has been trying to warn me against trying to fatten dd up just for the sake of the charts and I'm with her. My daughter's going to eat when she wants to and I'm not going to mess with forcing extra calories into her.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#10 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 PM

Yeah, don't worry about it! My DD is almost 18 months and barely over 20 lbs and she only LOOKS like she's about 17-18 lbs...she's very lean. Sometimes I can tell people think that it's because she's still BF'd. Dumb. But there are lots of little babies out there!

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#11 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 09:29 PM

Wow, she is absolutely adorable! Don't worry too much about her weight, as you say, they all grow at their own rates. If it really bothers you, just load up on good fats like avocado, etc. DS has always been on the small side, too. He did gain some when we started raw milk -- don't know if that's an interest or option for you, just sharing. Keep up the good work, seriously, she's a cutie and looks perfectly healthy!
#12 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 09:33 PM

i'm the mother of a little guy! i understand the frustration. we used to have a whole tribe for parents of small kids, but i haven't seen it lately. I have gotten pretty comfortable with it lately, my son is happy, healthy, smart, curious, and BUSY, so when we are out and about and people ask, oh! what he is <insert some wild guess between 8-11 months old> i just say, yup! he/she (about half of all people think he is a girl) is and move on about my business. oh and he is almost 15 months old, and his 12 month checkup he was 19 1/2 pound and 27 1/2 inches.
#13 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 10:29 PM

My Alayna is 15 months and about 18 pounds. I honestly don't worry about her weight at all. I know she is very healthy, eats healthy foods, and is still nursing. Don't worry so much about it, she's beautiful AND healthy!!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#14 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 10:36 PM

My 26 month old only weighs about 22 pounds. Her doctor is great and says not to worry. At her 2 year visit, she was in the 3rd percentile for weight but 95th percentile for height, so she is on the tall side.
#15 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 10:42 PM

My Bella's 16 months old and about 16 pounds. It helps, of course, that her older siblings are no giants. I find it terribly amusing to meet babies who are six, seven, and eight months old and seem HUGE compared to Bella... But it doesn't get me down. I'm short, and i was a tiny baby myself. My three year old seems healthy and positively round to me.... until I see her standing next to an average 24-30 month old who's got three inches and a good five or ten pounds on her. :

I can't be phased about it. Some kids are little. Some people are little. They can still look well nourished even if they're petite.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#16 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 10:46 PM

My girls are on the small side. They are 28 months old and both weigh about 24 lbs. They still wear 18 month clothes. I really am not worried about them though. I know they eat well and they're healthy and happy.
#17 of 52 Old 08-06-2007, 10:58 PM

I hate that we are made to feel this way.

All 4 of my children are long and lean. My 2 yo is 23 lb, 36 inches tall; my 4 yo is 30 lb, 46 inches tall. They are not 'small' and no one ever worries about them. The 2 yo actually looks like a brute next a friend that is 6 months older. My 8 and 10 yo are both just shy of 5 ft and only weigh about 65 lbs so it didn't end as they got older.

Funny thing is nobody ever worries about my girls but I have gotten so much grief about my son's size over the years - from peds, friends, grandparents, etc. The thing is, he is built like my brother and my husband. My brother is 6'4 he is up to 160 lb now that is over 30.

People come in different sizes. I think as moms we know when our children are healthy. Now, if I would just put this ice cream back in the freezer maybe somebody, someday will worry about how skinny I am. Don't worry, I am not holding my breath.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#18 of 52 Old 08-07-2007, 12:57 AM

Another petite baby here! She is 19ish lb and 23 months old.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#19 of 52 Old 08-07-2007, 01:06 AM

DD just had her 15m well-child visit and we were so happy that she finally weighed in at 16lbs. I was really really happy! She's hitting all her milestones and has a vocabulary of about 10-15 bilingual words and also signs. She runs me ragged and keeps her brother on his toes.

I've stopped worrying about her weight and instead have shifted my focus on making sure she's given a wide variety of healthy foods. I can't make her eat any more and I can't make her metabolism change so I'm going to do my best to make sure she makes good choices in eating. So far so good but I know that may change once she hits 2.
#20 of 52 Old 08-07-2007, 01:07 AM

ds is nearly 22mths, and is only 22lbs.
#21 of 52 Old 08-07-2007, 01:15 AM

Another small one here. Almost 28 months and 24.5 pounds. I stopped worrying at least a year ago. He's small...so?
#22 of 52 Old 08-07-2007, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, i feel so much better after reading all these. Thanks!
#23 of 52 Old 08-07-2007, 01:59 AM
Banned

Emily - My DD was 17 pounds at 12 months and now at 28 months is 27 pounds. She was a 9.5 pound newborn too. Your DD is adorable!
#24 of 52 Old 08-07-2007, 02:52 AM

19 lbs @ 18mo

A little bit of our story
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ight=pediasure

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#25 of 52 Old 08-07-2007, 07:37 AM

My daughter is a real CHUB, and I can't tell you how sad it makes me that I can't carry her as much as I want to. Not even my DP can, and that is saying something. Children come in different sizes, shapes and colors - and yours is absolutely adorable, just the way she is.
#26 of 52 Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 AM

J just turned 3 and is around the 25lbs mark. We had a ped push pediasure on us a year ago, but I refused to feed it to her after reading the ingredients list. I've stopped worrying about it for the most part. I feed her healthy foods and put extra healthy fats in where I can. It can be frustrating to watch your child eat an adult sized breakfast one day and then take 3 bites of dinner the next. Anyway your little girl looks beautiful and I wouldn't stress about her weight.
#27 of 52 Old 08-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Dd is almost 20 months and weighing in at 19 pounds even! We have been through it all, it seems, and fought the pediasure battle and won! She is tiny...and I can still carry her all over the place--I'm 33 weeks pregnant, so that's saying something!

Your dd is adorable! And perfect! I think my thing right now is to watch [my dd] closely, and just make sure that things are progressing developmentally (which certainly hasn't been a problem--her ped is finally saying "all brain and no brawn" instead of worrying us to death over what *might* be wrong).

Its so weird to have an almost 2-year old who could technically still be in her infant carseat! And who can wear her shoes and clothes out...who else can say they can spend $40 on a pair of sneakers for the lo because they will wear them out?
#28 of 52 Old 08-07-2007, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My youngest was big at birth and a huge baby. But then she slimmed down. People in dh and my family are really small, so it makes sense. She is ~33 mos. and 28 lbs. She is in the 25th percentile. I'm not worried at all. She is healthy and eats well.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#29 of 52 Old 08-07-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyS View Post
I don't mean to start a flame or anything of that sort, but I was just reading the "What does your baby weigh" thread and I got so depressed reading it. My dd is just 15 months old and barely weighs 18 lbs.! I know that all kids grow at their own rates but sometimes I just feel like my life revolves around trying to fatten her up. I know there have to be other moms out there that feel like their toddler is the only "skinny" one on the block. Can you cheer me up?
Awww .. how cute is she!!
Rachel is 22 pounds ... and 31 inches tall, at almost 16 months. We have a little friend, named Claire, too, who is built like your wee one! No worries, momma! She's petite ...

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#30 of 52 Old 08-07-2007, 02:03 PM

My oldest is almost 14. he weighs 135 and is about 5'7".

My second is almost 12. He weighs 60lbs and is not even 5'.

My youngest will be 3 in a few weeks and he weighs 29 lbs. No clue how tall.

Some are big, some are small, and they are all healthy.

I did not hit 50 lbs until Jr. High school!!! I didn't hit 100 lbs until I was pregnant with my 1st baby (I delivered him at 35 weeks and i weighed 120 or so). Now I am 145 lbs.

we all have our own space to take up. As long as she is healthy and hitting milestones and generally growing, she's good.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page