How many words does your 12-14mo say? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd really can only say Da-da. Although, she is very verbal and babbles ALL day long and also understands most of what we say to her. She points at things and gets very excited if it's something like a ballon or airplane. I always repeat the word to her several times trying to teach her and hoping she'll say it back! Just curious what other babies are able to say at this age?

Thanks!
#2 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 09:18 AM

My ds (13 months) says baba (daddy), he has said mama, but it's not like he looks at me and says it, so I'm not sure if it's a coincidence. He's always saying ka ka ka, so when we're in the garden with cats, everyone thinks he's saying cat. He always moos and miaows when he sees cows or cats. He's also very verbal and a lot of the time it sounds like he's saying something but I think it's just coincidence. He'll repeat/mimic words but I'm not sure if it counts if he doesn't attach any meaning to them.
#3 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 09:31 AM

my ds, 12.5 months old says dada, mama, bye-bye (ba-ba), up (upah), woof (for any four legged animal), kitty, and "this" (he points and says "this, this, this") Like... I want to see this, take me there now! Oh, and he says ma (grandma) and Ti! (auntie)
#4 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 AM

DD is 11 months and says mama, dada, 'ayla (our dog's name is Layla - and they're fast friends) and "no,no,no" when she's about to touch something she shouldn't.

Sandi - Work at home writer mama to Zoe the monkey girl 9/06 and Luna the zen baby 8/08
#5 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
num nums, doggie, roof roof, duck, quack, baa (for sheep) up, down, byebye's, mamma, dadda, nana, mamaw, papaw, ticin (chicken) bananananana(banana lol) baby, awwwww, no no, shoe shoes (she doubles alot of stuff) shirt, shoes, eyes, hair, ear, teeth, tee tee's (means brush teeth) baf (bath) broom broom (sound of car) nuk, ni nite, stick, ow (ouch), elmo, ernie, pig toes (piggy toes) diaper diaper, uck, tinky (stinky)

my favorite ( i loo looo) I love you

poon (spoon)
kailey lee lee lee ( Kailey) pee a boo (peek a boo) two, sock, ice, brrr, hot, pry (pretty) , cracker cracker,

bear, wovi (lovie)

get chew ( I'm gonna get you ) book, leaf, burp,

she's a jabber pants lol

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#6 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 10:06 AM

Not many..."Lilly", our dog, which comes out "Ih-ee"
"Da-da"
"bu-oy" for bottle OR binky
"Bwee" for I want that
"Beh-wee" (Berry - her favorite food)

She doesn't use "Ma-ma" any more : - I guess she figures I'm always here, so, no need. She lost "book" as well.
#7 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 10:21 AM

When DD 1 was at that age she said about 20 words (lots of animals, animal sounds, bye-bye, books, baby, etc.)

DD2 is 13 months and says mama, dada, bye-bye, baby, cat and uh-oh.

So, I think it varies greatly depending on the child.
#8 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 10:44 AM

Says: This (dis) and Dadda

Signs: Hat, Dad, Duck, Dog, Brush teeth, Baby, all done, milk (but he only does this when he wants to nurse), eat, train, wash hands

Julie; happily married mamma to Wyatt (4) and Jonah (1.5)
#9 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 10:54 AM

Dd said dada and mama at that age. Not long after that, she found some new words (very useful ones) and at almost 17 mos she has a few more. Her favorite word is "hereyougo," which said very fast means "Give that to me," "Take this," and "Yes I need that! I need that! NOWWW!"

She also at that age understood a lot of what we were saying without having many words herself. So if I asked, "Where's the cat?" she'd point at him and make a noise. If I asked her to do something, even something pretty complicated, she'd usually understand and do it. So while her vocabulary was (and maybe is still) small, her ability to understand and communicate is pretty good.
#10 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 10:54 AM

My almost 15 month old said Ma and Da until last week. Oh, and an imitation of a dog barking - not really a word. We added toddler versions of hi, bye, and all done last week.
#11 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 10:59 AM

i see so many of these threads, usually from a parent who may be concerned that their DC isn't talking as much as some say they should. or maybe i just read them all b/c i'm in the same boat. DD is 15 mo and says mama as well as other "words" if you count massive mispronunciations, which i do. it's coming along, and i've decided not to worry about it anymore. she repeats what i say to her sometimes very well but it's not consistent.

#12 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 11:27 AM

I know that there is wide variation in when a child starts to talk and how many words they can say.

DD2 is 15 months old and can say mama, dada, Sa (for her sister Sam), up, uh-oh, makes most animal sounds, attempts most names and does a good job with them, and is very repetitive. But, I know she is verbal for her age. However, she JUST started saying much of anything within the past two months.
#13 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 11:51 AM

my DD is 12 months and says mama, dada, uh-oh, yeah, and choo choo (we live by a train station, she'll wake up from a slient SLEEP to say "chooooooo chooooooooooooooooo!!!" and point in the general direction of the train if she hears one! lol!). She is always running around saying "BAP!" but I have no idea what it means lol, and she copied my friends baby in "nanananana" which to the other baby means no, but August never uses it as no, just babbles "nananana" when Cadence is around.
We have cats so I try to get her to say kitty, but she just smiles at them and makes a "kuh" noise with lots of spit LOL!

eta: she also says "awwwww" and just recently started saying "ooooohhhhh" in an amazed tone when she opens a book.

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#14 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 12:01 PM
EVC

At that age, probably just papa and that. DD didn't really start talking until she was around 20 months

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#15 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 12:02 PM

13 mo DD says: Da Da, Baby (bay-bah), Hi (ha-eee), Bye-bye (buh-by), Wa-wa for water and our (spanish-speaking) nanny swears that she says "gato" (cat). She tries to woof like a dog and make ambulance sounds. She also signs: book, chicken, eat, milk, more, potty, airplane and car (which means "I'm bored--take me somewhere!!" ).

Oh, she also points to pictures in a book and says "dis, dis, dis".

#16 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 01:00 PM

My almost 15 month old has at least 40 words that she says and a bunch of animal sounds and signs too.
#17 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 07:28 PM

ds says quite a few words, I haven't counted, which include: mama or emma, which is my name, so he pronounces it as emma, kinda cute! Papa, more, ball, hi, bye, buoy or boogee for nursing, eye, hair, ear, car, bear, ba--for banana, cracker, cookie, book, baby, go, itty-for kitty, boy. That's all I can think of, there may be more.--alot of b words

But the funny thing is, he never says dada. I mean that is suppose to be the easiest sound for a baby to make, and I have never heard him say it.

Also he rarely says mama/emma. Only if I am in the other room and he wants me, but if I am there, I guess he doesn't neeed to address me.

Every baby is different, I wouldn't worry about it. I think one reason he may say many words is because he loves to read. He makes me read to him all the time, so he gets a lot of that in everyday.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#18 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 07:39 PM

DD is 13mo old, she points and says dis(this). She also says, no,no,no.. Most recently she goes around saying dat, dat..

She is constantly saying ducka,ducka,ducka..I have NO idea what it means tho. She babbles in her own language, it's soo cute and funny!

She used to say mama, dada and baba..but not lately..hmmm

Can't wait for her vocab to expand..she has the cutest little girl voice:

OH! She can also mimic noises I make with my mouth....and she say la-lou (love you) after I tell her I love you.

Melissa loving my DH and DD(4yr)hearts.gif Most likely in my garden. Two angel.gif that I'll remember forever. My baby is here!!! Ethan Matthew came at 42 weeks on 5/19/10 9.10 lbs hbac.gif
#19 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 07:50 PM

My 12 month old says:
mama
dada
hat
hot
oops (sounds like oats )
ight (for light)
on

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#20 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 08:03 PM

My (almost) 16 month old says mami, dada (or papi), mmmm, no no no (like another poster's child, when he's about to do something he's not supposed to), bebay (baby), do do doooooo (no idea, but adorable!).

Mostly though, he just babbles incomprehensibly. Which suits me (and him, apparently) just fine. He's got his whole life to talk, after all.
#21 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 08:25 PM

My 27 mo has <30 words.
#22 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 08:36 PM

I think there is ****huge**** range of **toally normal**.

My little newphew is 25 mos and can speak in little 3/4/5 word sentences, which I think is rather normal/perhaps a tiny bit advanced, but not really. . "Get my water, please", "Pick me up now, please". "You come with me. Go car", "Crackers, please, no eggs", "Feed rabbit now, auntie", "Please read book now" "Get my toys please. Go now". "Chickens hungry. Get food, ok?"
#23 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 09:24 PM

our 13 MO is in the same exact place as your baby.
dada and a bunch of sounds and understanding and babbling but no real words yet.
he can produce about 15 signs and picks up new signs as quickly as I can manage to teach them.
#24 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 10:31 PM

I have to say I was happy to read that other kids don't choose Mama as their first word either. At 11 months DS started saying tickle-tickle which to me was a weird choice of first word but he rarely ever said Mama.
I think he had only 4 or 5 'real' words when he was about 13 months old.
#25 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 11:27 PM

It was really hard to know whether or not to count a word at that age. I remember Alex would typically have 4-6 "core" words or signs that she would often use and they would slightly vary from week to week. And then there were a bunch of other words that she would say once and not again for weeks or months. "Dis," meaning "Identify this thing for me," and accompanied by a pointing finger, was by far the most popular word.

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#26 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 11:31 PM

DS is 13.5 months and he reliably calls me (and dh ) "Mama." "Ayuh" means Qualia, his big sister. "Meh" is "more." He says "dat" and points for "that." And he's got a couple sounds that mean "yes" and "no" but aren't the actual words yet. Other than that, screeches and babble.
#27 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 11:43 PM

My son just turned 14mos and we're a bilingual (Spanish-English) home. I bet early on that his first word would be 'gata' (cat)because he's obsessed with her and I was correct! So, he says: (1)gata, (2)ma (for mas) -more,signs this as well, (3)alla (over there), (4)sign for blender, (5)sign for 'no more', (6)meow sound for cat, (7)caw sound for bird, (8) growl sound for every other animal!!! So, some of those aren't really words but I think they count as meaninful conversation! Still doesn't refer to DP or me as anything in particular as far as I can tell.

Bilingual mama to DS J 6/4/06 and new DS C 9/27/10  homebirth.jpg
#28 of 40 Old 08-09-2007, 10:23 AM

My ds just turned one. Most of what he "says" aren't real words, but he uses the sounds consistently enough that I know what he means.

Dada
ah-da = all done
ah-oo (oo like the sound in broom) = love you
dis = like the other babies means this
he only says mama when he's crying and upset about something
#29 of 40 Old 08-09-2007, 10:51 AM

I'm stunned at the kids who have more than ten reliable words! My 14 month old has four: Mama, Dada, du (duck), and ba (ball), with other sounds that I know what they mean but people outside the family would not.

He does have at least six very reliable signs, so I'm clinging to that as a sign he's progressing normally.
#30 of 40 Old 08-12-2007, 12:29 PM

None, at that age. He just started talking 3 weeks ago at 16 months, though, and in the past 3 weeks has learned about 12 words reliably.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page