not saying any words at over 2 years of age? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I have a question: Is it normal for a child who is a little over 2 yrs old to not be saying anything yet? Not even Mama or Dada?

An aquaintance of mine keeps talking about how something is wrong with her daughter because she hasn't said even one word yet. I think she feels this way because her sister has a son that doesn't talk (or smile or cuddle), so they went to 2 separate doctors and they both said he was autistic. I think my aquaintance is worried about the same thing for her daugher. Any thoughts?

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#2 of 6 Old 08-09-2007, 06:10 PM

That's definitely a delay in speech. Children of two can usually form 2 word sentences (ie: "More milk.") Is she at least babbling? If she's completely silent, it could indicate a hearing problem, or a more serious issue. She should probably take her daughter to the doctor and see what he/she says.

SAH Mama of two intact kiddos: Kaitlyn (31 Oct '05) and Julian (7 July '09).  signcirc1.gif

#3 of 6 Old 08-09-2007, 06:16 PM

My DS will be 2 later this month, and he has one word ("no"). He's been evaluated and he is considered to be delayed in expressive language (his expressive language is at the level of most one year olds).

Most children with language delays are just "late talkers" and will spontaneously start talking eventually. Some children with language delays have more complex issues such as apraxia (a neurological problem making speech sounds) or autism. Language delay alone isn't enough to diagnose autism.

If your friend is concerned, she can have her daughter evaluated. She can call Early Intervention in her state directly; she doesn't need a doctor to refer her. At least in my area, Early Intervention services are free until age three, including both evaluation and therapy if needed (my DS is currently receiving speech therapy).
#4 of 6 Old 08-09-2007, 06:17 PM

My daughter didn't have words at 2, but she did have signs. Between 26 and 28 months, she had over 300 words.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#5 of 6 Old 08-09-2007, 07:54 PM

Well..normal is a loaded word, LOL

There is a *chance* the chilkd is just a late talker. This would be a small chance.

The more likely options would be some sort of delay or other problem. The girl might have hearing issues or another medical issue, or it could be something neurological/developmental like an autistic spectrum disorder. It could be a "simple" speech delay that resolves with some therapy.

there is NO reason not to get some early intervention involved. Please urge her to call. Best case scenario, nothing is wrong, LOL!

If *I* were doing a developmental exam on this child, (part of my job), I would have to consider her delayed in language and refer her to EI for therapy. However, the whole picture is very important also - is this child communicating? Using signs, gestures? How are other areas of development? etc.

CPST
#6 of 6 Old 08-09-2007, 08:11 PM

2 is usually the age for evaluation if speech is delayed. Have your friend contact early intervention ( its either free or reduced fee) It is alarming for no speech.

1 in ever 150 children are on the austic spectrum. It may be just a speech delay but either way early intervention is really important.

My SIL ignored many signs in her son and once he was diagnoses he had lost out on 2 or 3 yrs of therapy.:

Evaluation never hurts. Its the best test your child could fail

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page