Did you decline 12 month bloodwork? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 160 Old 08-18-2007, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Does anyone know if a naturopath or chiropractor can prescribe a lead test, even if I have to go to the hospital lab to have it done?
I'd assume an ND could definitely do it, not sure about a chiro. However, just call your state or city health department. They may offer the test for free. My town does this. Although the test at the health department is usually the more painful, less accurate finger prick, so finding a private lab or hospital that deals with plenty of kids is probably a good idea.
#152 of 160 Old 08-20-2007, 02:34 PM

what an informative thread ! also we have stopped wbv and I did not know this was a routine proceedure for 12 mo

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
#153 of 160 Old 08-20-2007, 10:56 PM

This really was an informative thread.

Staceychev, your daughter's story has really lit a fire under me. I've been putting off my girls' testing for several months because I just hate the tears and hysterics that result, even though it's brief. My girls spend 9 weeks in the NICU and had a lot of follow-up blood tests, so I just hate to cause any more pain to them, even though I do feel this testing is important. I was thinking they were more likely to be anemic than have lead issues, but you've really opened my eyes to the possibility. I'm going to get them down to the lab before their next WBV on 9/5. Thank you and good luck to you.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#154 of 160 Old 08-20-2007, 11:37 PM

we chose to do the lead and anemia test when ds turned 1. he had no obvious risk factors and his number came back at 4. that is considered an acceptable level but we decided to try and figure out why he has any lead at all. we sent our water to the epa to get tested and it came back fine. we have tried to be aware of other sources of exposure and he just had his (almost) 2 year old wbv and we made sure to do the test again. for us, any exposure is too much so we want to stay on top of it. he cried during the blood draw but got over it veeery quickly.
#155 of 160 Old 08-22-2007, 06:15 PM

We don't do structured dr. visits, but maybe we should have dd checked for lead. We know our 1920 house has it, and so she probably has it in her system. Thanks for the notice mamas!

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#156 of 160 Old 08-24-2007, 01:37 AM

I had to update. I took the girls for their bloodwork today and reviews from the girls were decidedly mixed.

Lilly went first, and she's usually the more sensitive one, but she was such a trouper. Didn't even cry when they put the tourniquet on, and only cried when they actually stuck her. She settled quickly afterwards and I handed her to grandpa, who came with me because grandma's not brave enough, and I preferred not to have to take them alone and have one of them not be held after her shot.

Poor Katie, who is usually my fearless muffin, was flipping out even before they got the tourniquet on. She calmed down enough for them to start, though, and when they stuck her, I watched the tube. Nothing. No blood. She pushed in further, pulled out and said the vein was rolling, and she kept trying. It was horrible. Katie was turning so red, screaming so badly that I had to tell the phlebotomist to stop, because I couldn't let Katie be in such pain when there wasn't even anything happening and she probably wasn't going to get the vein out at that point. I have bad veins, so I know the drill. Apparently she inherited mine.

She was hyperventilating and so upset. It was so awful to see her that way. She is such a tough little kid and has been through a lot in her shor life without much complaint, so I know it must've really hurt. In the end I decided that we'll see what Lilly's numbers come back at, and what the ped says at our appointment in 2 weeks. If he says take Katie again, I'll wait a few more weeks and try then. And hydrate the heck out of her beforehand in hopes that it'll help.

When we got her calmed down and back home, they both took almost an hour's nap and were totally fine the rest of the day. But they got a lot of extra cuddles anyway.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#157 of 160 Old 08-24-2007, 01:40 AM

I would do both.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#158 of 160 Old 08-24-2007, 11:13 AM

We just got our referral for our bloodwork at DD's 12 month check-up...and ...we're going to do it. It's not putting any foreign substances in her system, but it could catch something important...I plan on holding her, comforting her, offering her boob right after...and asking for topical anasthesia...it should (finger crossed) be over quickly...

Diana. Wife and partner to Jon since 11/04. Home-birthing, natural milky momma to Katie Annalie - 08/06 and Evan Frederick - 06/09
grouphug.gif

designer/manufacturer of: http://www.onyababy.com

#159 of 160 Old 09-07-2007, 12:18 AM

I'm bumping because we got our results yesterday at our WBV. Well, Lilly's results only since they never got any blood out of Kate. Her CBC was fine and she's not remotely anemic. Her lead level was 3.7. I'm really bothered by that. I know that's well below the threshold of 10, but it's not as low as I want it to be. The ped said yes, obviously there is some exposure, it's not at a danger level, but we'll repeat the test in a year. That feels like a long time away. Not that I am anxious to repeat the blood draw, but now I feel uncomfortable about it. He did say we can assume Kate's exposure is the same, but we can't know that, so we'll do her test in a few months and hopefully she'll have better veins then. I'm leaning towards asking to have Lilly re-tested then, too.

In the meantime I'm going to try and push as many of the "lead-unfriendly" foods as possible (http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/nutrition.pdf) although honestly they eat most of what's on that list already in pretty high quantities, except for red meat which they don't really love.

This house was built in 1959. I'm sure there's lead in here. And now I'm suspicious of all the toys, of course. Pretty much everything. Urgh. :

#160 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 11:53 PM

Well, I had DD's lead level checked today and all they told me is that is is "low"! She had the finger prick in the office. They said it was too small to measure, hence the result of "low". Should I feel happy/safe at this result? SHould I have requested the blood draw or would that only be necessary if she got some other result form the finger prick?
P.S. She did not even cry or flinch...she sat on my lap and it was not traumatic at all!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page