TMI: pee smells like buttered popcorn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-15-2007, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've noticed for the past few weeks that DD's pee smells like buttered popcorn. Did not mention it to anyone and did not really think on it too hard. Then tonight DH says out of the blue that he's noticed his pee smells like buttered popcorn. Now we are kind of freaked out.

Sorry for the TMI, but does anyone know what this is about? We did some googling and all we can find is random posts on low carb websites. DH is a homebrewer, so we can say with certainty that there isnt any low carb eating going on in this house!

Just a little worried that this could be some kind of vitamin deficiency or other weird thing.

It has been very hot here. Could it be dehydration??

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#2 of 7 Old 08-15-2007, 02:37 AM

Do they have any other symptoms or conditions? Ketones can smell like buttered popcorn.
#3 of 7 Old 08-15-2007, 03:10 AM

Could it just be that it is more strongly concentrated? I'd go for that before worrying about anything else - and try to notice if it's the same with more fluids.
#4 of 7 Old 08-15-2007, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

really no other symptoms I've noticed.

is there any reason to have ketones other than a low carb diet?

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#5 of 7 Old 08-17-2007, 01:21 AM

OK, this could be a stretch, but I'll share a similar story. I noticed a similar smell with DS's urine when he was a few months old. I, too, researched like mad and even found a 'maple syrup' something-or-other disease (and started to convince myself that that's what DS surely must have...) Turns out it was the (disposable : ) diaper. Probably some sort of chemical reaction with whatever nasty stuff was in the sposie and the urine. Once I put cloth and/or a gDiaper on him, the odor vanished.

Likely you are much wiser than I was back then and have never used a sposie, but just in case...
#6 of 7 Old 08-18-2007, 12:24 AM

Wierd -- I seem to remember noticing that my DS had a similar smell one time. I can't remember much about the circumstances, though. It just went away.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#7 of 7 Old 08-18-2007, 01:04 AM

My DS2 had butter popcorn poops for the longest time. Both DH and I both smelled it, so it wasn't just my odd sense of smell. We used sposies and CD, so that was not an issue.

DS's poo smelled like buttered popcorn for a good 9 months of his life, but it is gone now. I have no idea what caused it, but he wasn't ever ill so it wasn't caused by anything serious.

Maybe your DC is eating something that causes their pee to smell that way. Certain food make my urine smell funny. Just a thought.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page