FYI- Melissa and Doug toys - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's a very comforting answer. I'm glad to hear it; I love Melissa and Doug stuff.
#32 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 09:44 PM

Where do you get a lead scanner from?
#33 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellifoli View Post
My sister really likes Plan Toys, and we've liked what we've seen so far, made of rubberwood and non-toxic vegetable dyes. Made in Thailand. Anyone hear anything about them?
Plan has some nice toys - I've seen them in person and been very tempted. they have nice, simple wooden dollhouses - We had already bought an M&D one, but I wished we hadn't so I could get the Plan one. But are you sure they aren't made in China? The place I first saw them was actually at the children's market in Shanghai, then at other Shanghai department stores (the dept. stores carry loads of imported goods, but the market is generally all stuff MIC).

No doubt this is a scary issue, and a really big subject. we spent part of last year living in china (with me pregnant, and our toddler), and I would love the chance to go back. however, despite a lifetime of critical evaluation of our US government, I longed for the safety that comes from the EPA, USDA, and FDA! We in the US are terribly lucky to have created these safegaurds (even though I know they aren't as ethical or effective as they could be, we are lucky to have them). When i think of the generation(s) of chinese children who will grow up playing with lead-tainted toys, eating food from polluted sources, etc. etc. and the consequences it has for the entire society, it's a shame - especially when it's done to fuel the (largely) American consumption machine and to scrape what money can be gotten from the west. It's hard to point all the fingers at China when the drive to produce more more more cheaper cheaper cheaper is coming from our Walmart aisles and consumer-centered society. But as a parent and person living on a budget, it's also hard to shop by your ethics and not your pocketbook - I wish I could afford all european and american-made toys, not to mention going all organic!

anywho - glad to know M&D is diligent.

FYI - the manager of the factory that produced the Mattel toys hung himself this week. I didn't see it in the US news, but heard it from a friend in china.
#34 of 58 Old 08-17-2007, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Becca View Post
FYI - the manager of the factory that produced the Mattel toys hung himself this week. I didn't see it in the US news, but heard it from a friend in china.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#35 of 58 Old 08-17-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
It was in the US news. I saw it on Today and a couple of other news stations. But no, it wasn't leading news and was rather buried.
#36 of 58 Old 08-17-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:

It was on the news here. I read about it on CNN's webpage and saw it on their news on tv.
#37 of 58 Old 08-17-2007, 10:26 AM

We only have a few M&D toys because even though they're wood they're not as nice as the European ones I've bought online (mostly Oompa.com and Amazon) and at specialty toy shops. We have:
Brio wooden stacker (made in Sweeden)
several Plan Toys (made in Thailand but made of beautiful wood)
Haba (my favorite and made in Germany)

I hate to admit it but when I heard about the recalls I was pretty smug about the whole thing because I was pretty sure we didn't have any of those toys since we rarely buy plastic anymore.

Oh one more thing about the toy recall, during the F-P one I heard on NPR that those recalled toys only count for about 1/10 of 1% (or some miniscule figure like that) of all the toys made in CHina. So over 99% of toys made in China are completely safe and lead free.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#38 of 58 Old 08-17-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarbebe View Post

Sadly, they have just recently switched their production to China. I learned this last night. Selecta is similar and is still made in Germany, at least as of right now. At this rate, who knows how long that will last though.

coolshine.gif

#39 of 58 Old 08-17-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarbebe View Post
We only have a few M&D toys because even though they're wood they're not as nice as the European ones I've bought online (mostly Oompa.com and Amazon) and at specialty toy shops. We have:
Brio wooden stacker (made in Sweeden)
several Plan Toys (made in Thailand but made of beautiful wood)
Not all Haba toys are made in Germany anymore. More are being MIC.

Oops. Didn't refresh it before I replied and saw riverscout already replied. Sorry.
#40 of 58 Old 08-17-2007, 11:14 AM

That's a bummer about HABA. I bet their prices don't go down.
#41 of 58 Old 08-17-2007, 11:26 AM

Thanks!!!!

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#42 of 58 Old 08-17-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfybuns View Post
I just got an email that a bunch of bibs also have lead!!!
http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/15/news...ibs/index.htm?
: I caught this on the news last night, but didn't recognize the bibs so I didn't dwell on it. After reading that article though, I probably have one of the bibs. It was the same style, but Winnie the Pooh (like the article says). It was a hand-me-down bib, so it's definitely worn.

Grrrr. Most of the young, less financially blessed mamas like myself that I know get the majority of our toys from our relatives, who don't share our concern over these sorts of things Guess I'll have to start working on that.
#43 of 58 Old 08-17-2007, 02:40 PM

I am just nauseous over this whole thing. Luckily we don't have many toys, my DD is a stuffed toy addict so that is what she plays with most of the time. BUT I do have to do a detailed purge just to be sure since we do have hand me down toys that could be painted, plastic & MIC. Those will go even if they are not in the recall, the wooden ones will depend upon the brand.

On a side note my hubbie works for a design firm that works for MAJOR manufactures of all sorts of consumer products (I would bet that almost everyone here has something designed by their firm) so I hear all about this recall from the inside. Also about how testing for lead in particular is something they do ALL the time since they know how often the Chinese manufacturing plants do not follow the customers requirements. Basically the short of it is.....
If the company does not test independently and randomly all products MIC they CANNOT be sure if there is lead in their products paint or not.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#44 of 58 Old 08-17-2007, 03:51 PM

Well, alot of our stuffed animals are also made in China.: I loooove, love, love Plan toys, Alayna has a few toys from them, and they are just really well made. I actually thought they were made in Germany.:

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#45 of 58 Old 08-17-2007, 09:05 PM

Something another mom I know brought up today was just because it is made in the USA it doesn't always mean its safe because yes it may be MADE in the USA but the materials may still be bought in China! So she is emailing every company she can think of and asking where they buy their materials, and where it is made, both.
So sad.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#46 of 58 Old 08-17-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
Sadly, they have just recently switched their production to China. I learned this last night. Selecta is similar and is still made in Germany, at least as of right now. At this rate, who knows how long that will last though.
whaaaaa...I've never bought Selecta because Haba is just a little bit cuter but they're very similar.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#47 of 58 Old 08-17-2007, 11:17 PM

We were excited about M&D toys when our first was a baby, but we have since decided never to buy their toys again. The quality just isn't there. The paint chips and comes off. Even our standard unit blocks from them (that don't have paint) have not held up nearly as well as blocks from other companies.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#48 of 58 Old 08-17-2007, 11:48 PM

Thank you for posting this information op and the additional info from other posters it was research that I hadn't had time to do yet. I appreciate you sharing what you've learned.
#49 of 58 Old 08-18-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
Where did you find this out?

Just because I read this the other day.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...ative-Toys.php
#50 of 58 Old 08-18-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilech View Post
Where did you find this out?

Just because I read this the other day.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...ative-Toys.php
FWIW, everything we've bought from HABA has been made in Germany except a piece of jewelry that was made in China.
#51 of 58 Old 08-18-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
FWIW, everything we've bought from HABA has been made in Germany...
Same here, but like I said this is a pretty recent development. Here is a link to Oompa, a toy website, with some more info. There is an email form a Haba rep on that page in which she states that some toys are at least partly made in Germany, but finished in China. It was rather vague. The real problem for consumers is that it has become almost impossible to identify where Haba toys, and frankly some other european companies, are made without looking on the box. All the toy websites that I browse have removed any reference to where virtually all Haba toys are made in the toy description and some even have the tell-tale "desinged in." One had some discontinued/sale items, like a nativity scene, that still said "Made in Germany."

ETA - I posted the other day about this on the other thread I linked in my earlier post on this thread. That might be a better spot for this discussion if anyone has anything to add. Sorry again OP. No more from me here.

coolshine.gif

#52 of 58 Old 08-18-2007, 12:31 PM

I won't buy stuff from China for the mere fact that our local economies are suffering because of our jobs being outsourced to other countries. The toxic factor is a no brainer....the don't adhere to standards and guidelines because they really don't have to.

There are lots of good toys made in our local areas, we just have to look hard, but it's worth it. I get some really cute wool toys from a local sheep farmer/spinner/knitter. I get wooden toys from a small local toy maker. If you buy a jigsaw and some sand paper you can make some really cute wooden toys of your own. That way you get to pick the wood yourself, so you know where it comes from and you can finish it with something safe or not at all.
#53 of 58 Old 08-18-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom2e View Post
We tested a sample of our toys b/c DS2 just came back with a positive lead level. All of our M&D toys tested negative with a lead scanner. The lead wipes are an ok test but the scanner is the definitive test.

I'm happy to see their comments. We are planning on purging a LOT of our toys over this - especially unbranded toys. Any old hand-me-down cars and trucks, old branded blocks, gone. I am just unsure of what toys to purge and what to save.

Oh I am so frightened!

I hear ya, we've got at least 50 die cast cars, motorcycles, airplanes, etc. This list could go on...

Could you share where you got the lead scanner? All I've been able to find are the swab test kits.
#54 of 58 Old 08-19-2007, 01:21 AM

Yes, do tell about this lead scanner thingy - I tried to do a search, & just got computer scanners!

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few
#55 of 58 Old 08-19-2007, 01:50 AM

That's great info. Thank you!
#56 of 58 Old 08-19-2007, 02:07 AM

yeah, we choose most of our toys from
oompa.com, moolka.com, novanaturals.com (my favourite), and this lovely website my sister recently found of handcrafts that people (lots of sahms) make and then sell. last week we mailordered from a waldorf mama a handknitted, all wool (inside and out) fruit set and knitted yellow bag. not only is it absolutely adorable and beautifully made, it's supporting other moms too. the website is etsy.com and you can just do a search for toys. my 20 monthold wanders round our house feeding his animals, saying 'here, waterlemon, here gapes, here - apple.'

i agree, it's definitely more expensive to buy the european and higher-quality toys, but it's so worth it to provide beautiful playthings to our children.

best wishes
#57 of 58 Old 08-19-2007, 11:54 AM

I love there toys dd has so many so its nice to hear.
#58 of 58 Old 08-19-2007, 11:51 PM

I definitely agree, I try to buy toys from WAHMs or a company that doesn't outsource for cheaper labor. My flowchart looks something like this:

1 - Toys I make myself.
2 - Toys borrowed or purchased from someone I know personally, or purchased second hand.
3 - Toys from Etsy.com or HyenaCart.com (both awesome sites full of handmade stuff...we just got some beautiful wooden cars from Cars From Papa).
4 - Toys from companies that are produced sustainably in countries with strong human rights laws. I buy from places like Nova Natural, Toy Garden, Magic Cabin, Hearthsong, etc., although more and more they are carrying plastic stuff made in China (moreso the last two, Nova Natural & Toy Garden have pretty awesome stuff).
5 - Toys made from natural materials produced in China, SE Asia, India, etc.
6 - Toys made from plastic/non-natural materials.

Tags
Melissa And Doug , Toys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page