FYI- Melissa and Doug toys - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 08-15-2007, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We don't do many plastic toys, but we have a lot of wooden melissa and doug toys. In light of the recent lead scares I emailed the company, and wanted to pass along the response:

"Yes, we definitely appreciate and understand your concern.
Please be assured, we test for lead VERY frequently.

It's quite possible to make great quality children's items in China, which meet
all safety regulations, but the key point is that you have to test and inspect
very frequently to be sure that your factories are always following your
instructions explicitly. I assure you that's exactly what we do.

From our experience, the key to doing this correctly is not simply to insist
that your factories follow your instructions, but then to go one step further
and to AUDIT, INSPECT, AND TEST very frequently. That is the most important
part of the process, and it's something our company has always taken VERY
seriously.

Thanks again for asking, and for your support also.

Your Dedicated Customer Service Team

Melissa & Doug, Inc.

800-284-3948

Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00 EST"
#2 of 58 Old 08-15-2007, 04:00 PM

Thanks for sharing that. We have a ton of M&D toys!
#3 of 58 Old 08-15-2007, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's nice to learn a company takes its responsibility seriously. Thanks for passing this on. We also have several M&D toys.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#4 of 58 Old 08-15-2007, 05:05 PM

Thank goodness. This whole recall thing has made me so ill.
#5 of 58 Old 08-15-2007, 06:06 PM

Phew. we have loads of their toys.
#6 of 58 Old 08-15-2007, 06:09 PM

Thanks for checking into that. We have a ton of M/D toys as well and I tested them myself with those swab tests, but then I heard they are often inaccurate. They came up negative though. I'm at a place where I feel like nothing is safe anymore. : I think I might have been a happier mama in an informationless age.
#7 of 58 Old 08-15-2007, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the info I was wondering the same thing. We have lots of M&D toys & wasn't sure if I should test them.
#8 of 58 Old 08-15-2007, 10:12 PM

We tested a sample of our toys b/c DS2 just came back with a positive lead level. All of our M&D toys tested negative with a lead scanner. The lead wipes are an ok test but the scanner is the definitive test.

I'm happy to see their comments. We are planning on purging a LOT of our toys over this - especially unbranded toys. Any old hand-me-down cars and trucks, old branded blocks, gone. I am just unsure of what toys to purge and what to save.

Oh I am so frightened!
#9 of 58 Old 08-15-2007, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw the big recall of Mattell toys I think it was, but what other stuff should I be concerned about having lead in it??? Where do you get lead tester things like you guys have???
#10 of 58 Old 08-15-2007, 10:32 PM

This is interesting, as I was shopping for kids toys today and noticed, to my dismay, that the Melissa and Doug stuff was made in China.

I am awaiting a similar email of concern from Learning Curve, as my kids happen to be interested in their line of Bob the Builder toys, also made in China.

I wish I could make all our toys.
#11 of 58 Old 08-15-2007, 10:32 PM

Thanks for this info. I was just thinking about M&D paint last night.

I always wanted to suggest that you might post this also in Childhood years or Parenting issues. I found it through New Posts, but I know not everyone looks there and they may not see it. I think it's very useful information for older kids too since M&D toys last so long.
#12 of 58 Old 08-15-2007, 10:50 PM

Thank you for taking the time to write to them and for sharing their response. It's good to hear! (We love their toys too.)
#13 of 58 Old 08-15-2007, 11:17 PM

Yes, my M&D rep has always told me how they go above and beyond standards in testing their products.
They really seem to care about their products.
I wish they made their products here.

So hard to find anything NOT made in China.
#14 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 01:02 AM

thanks for posting this, i was wondering about m&d toys. we donated all of our plastic toys and have pretty much only m&d toys.
#15 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
It sounds like they're being responsible about testing, but it's too bad that they continue to have their products manufactured in China. I'll be looking for alternatives in the future.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#16 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 04:50 PM

Thanks for posting this

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#17 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 05:15 PM

And Mattel says they have "rigorous standards" for their toy production in China too and look where it got them. The thing is, when a company chooses to subcontract out production to China, they give up control. Companies can test, but often by the time they do, the products are already in stores and in homes.

coolshine.gif

#18 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapiebaby View Post
So hard to find anything NOT made in China.
IME, it is quite simple. As a matter of fact, avoiding products made in China has really opened my eyes to all the cool toys made in Europe and the US. There are lots of threads here on MDC that have links to great toy websites that sell these types of toys.

If anyone is actually interested, I'd be glad to post some links.

coolshine.gif

#19 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 05:25 PM

Thanks for posting this. I've been wondering about M&D myself, because dd has a few puzzles that are her faves... especially some fishing puzzle with a rod (yeah it's magnetic but I'm not too worried about it - it's a pretty big magnet, not those tiny ones)

I like M&D toys but for some reason most of the "toys" we have had from M&D, like play food, etc. has flaky paint and I don't like that. Maybe we just got some bad bunches, but dd isn't really the type to put stuff in her mouth and chew on it (especially now at 2.5) but the paint flakes off just from very minor wear and tear. Eh I guess I should just be quiet and be thankful they test their stuff good
#20 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
IME, it is quite simple. As a matter of fact, avoiding products made in China has really opened my eyes to all the cool toys made in Europe and the US. There are lots of threads here on MDC that have links to great toy websites that sell these types of toys.

When dd was younger, I got her some toys from Oompa toys. Lots of gorgeous toys made in Europe on that site, though a little pricey (but worth it IMO)

DD LOVED the haba teethers and rattles/rings when she was a babe. And I felt better about her chewing on those than plastic liquid filled rings from Wal-Mart.
#21 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 05:27 PM

Thanks for posting this; I've been looking for a company / set of products to replace all the ones of my dd's I've had to get rid of. (Almost all her favourite toys -- gifts from grandparents, mostly -- were the ones recalled... it broke my heart getting rid of all of them last night. )
#22 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 05:35 PM

[QUOTEapple_dumplinghen dd was younger, I got her some toys from Oompa toys. Lots of gorgeous toys made in Europe on that site, though a little pricey (but worth it IMO)][/QUOTE]

Oompa toys is a great website to get toys, I have numerous things for ds from there. However, while most of the toys are designed in Europe and made in Europe some are designed in Europe and made in China. You can read the fine print about the toys on the site. Just FYI.

Mama to two kiddos on the go!
#23 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
It sounds like they're being responsible about testing, but it's too bad that they continue to have their products manufactured in China. I'll be looking for alternatives in the future.
I will no longer purchase toys made in China, either. Too risky anymore.

I am glad to read that the people who tested their M&D toys for lead have all received negative results, though. I still won't purchase any more in the future.
#24 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingMama;8917052Oompa toys is a great website to get toys, I have numerous things for ds from there. However, while most of the toys are designed in Europe and made in Europe some are [U
designed in Europe and made in China[/U]. You can read the fine print about the toys on the site. Just FYI.
: Thanks for that. I like to stay informed.. I'll definitely double check that next time I buy from there.
#25 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post

Well I would love to have a list of where you buy a lot of your products! And I wasn't referring to just toys!!

This conversation has been going on in my local AP forum and one mom has realized it is too hard to use made-in-USA-only products and even has had a hard time finding things simply NOT made in China, which is her new goal.

So many things are from there -- she talked about all this extra time it took to find a pair of frames for new glasses that weren't MIC -- going through tons of them.

Given the amount of MIC stuff in our house now, and knowing how hard everybody else has had locally, I wuld have to say it's really not that simple.

I believe somebody in that group said even Haba are MIC?
#26 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 06:18 PM

I was just in a toy store today, looking through everything, and noticed even some European companies products are made in China, AND when I got home looked up the kitchen I was going to get DS for the holidays at Oompa toys: designed in Switzerland, made in China.

My sister really likes Plan Toys, and we've liked what we've seen so far, made of rubberwood and non-toxic vegetable dyes. Made in Thailand. Anyone hear anything about them?

I too would like to see riverscout's list! please post when you can!
#27 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 06:20 PM

I would love to see a list of places that don't sell things made in china, in fact I think I will PM you. The whole china thing has really freaked me out.
Yes M&D says they hold their products to the highest standards but like others have said so does mattel.
It makes me ill thinking of all those toys out there with the lead paint on them. A lot of people I know ( MIL my parents ect) specifically bought my daughter toys BECAUSE the thought mattel was a good brand. We have all been too broke to buy toys since may but if we hadn't been we could have ended up with one of those things in our house. I mean with lead, there is no way to know by looking they seem just find until you find out they aren't. I am seriously thinking of getting rid of all of our made in china toys even though they are not on the recall list. I mean, those toys that are on the list now were not on the list a month ago you know?
Ugh, maybe im over reacting.
#28 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapiebaby View Post
Well I would love to have a list of where you buy a lot of your products! And I wasn't referring to just toys!!

This conversation has been going on in my local AP forum and one mom has realized it is too hard to use made-in-USA-only products and even has had a hard time finding things simply NOT made in China, which is her new goal.

So many things are from there -- she talked about all this extra time it took to find a pair of frames for new glasses that weren't MIC -- going through tons of them.

Given the amount of MIC stuff in our house now, and knowing how hard everybody else has had locally, I wuld have to say it's really not that simple.

I believe somebody in that group said even Haba are MIC?
I'm feeling kind of bad here for derailing this thread (sorry OP ), so I think the best thing to do is to point you and anyone who is interested in places to buy toys not MIC to this thread which is about just that topic. I posted with some links earlier today, and I also by chance addressed your question about Haba. I'll try and keep up with that thread and post more links if I think of any.

As far as avoiding all products made in China, that is definitely a whole 'nother thread. There was a thread along those lines the other day in TAO, but I didn't post because I didn't know where to start...or where to end for that matter. I could go on for days. It's a subject that I have thought a lot about. I have been avoiding products made in China and other countries with dubious labor practices for nearly 10 years now. It has been quite challenging at times. I fall short of being 100% free of MIC products, but I try my best. Toys though, they have been a breeze. There are just so many options.

I do realize that my daughter is only 21 months and has no idea about all the craptastic character based cheap Chinese toys lining the shelves of the local Toys 'R Us. I know it may not be this easy for me in the future when she is more aware of what's out there, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

--------------

Sorry again OP for the tangent. I think it is really admirable that you are taking notice of the safety of your child's toys and taking action by contacting M&D. I didn't mean to sound so cynical in my first post.

coolshine.gif

#29 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 08:21 PM

I just got an email that a bunch of bibs also have lead!!!
http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/15/news...ibs/index.htm?
#30 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
Ditto that... I'm just tired of contributing to another country, why not keep jobs HERE?!

This Christmas will be a Less is More (ie. Quality over Quantity) type of thing.

Tags
Melissa And Doug , Toys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page