Change in toddler poop - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2007, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 17 mo DS's poop has changed from the nice, plop-able poop to squishy, gross poop (TMI, I know.) It started a week ago today. He had one episode of diarrahea, so I started him on the BRAT diet for 24 hours. The poops got better but not nearly as solid as normal. The next day, he woke up with a low fever (100.2), but it was back to normal in about 12 hours. Kept on the BRAT diet and slowly started re-introducing "normal" foods. He seems fine overall, but the poops never re-solidified and just now he had one that was more diarrahea-like (super stinky, runny, etc). There have been no changes in his diet or mine that I would suspect has caused this.

WDYT? Is it just one of those things? Could he have a mild stomach bug?

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2007, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like teething to me. Is he cutting any new teeth?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Possibly. It's hard to see where his molars are, and I'm definitely not sticking my finger in there! He's had one of his molars barely cut through for a while but I noticed it was a little more through the gumline the other day. Maybe he's getting one on the other side. I've been lucky that he's never really shown any signs of teething before, so this is new to me!

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Old 08-17-2007, 03:25 PM

My 17 mo DS did the SAME EXACT THING. And I hate to tell you this, but it's gotten only marginally better for like 3 weeks now. I have incorporated a lot more BRAT stuff into his diet and been mindful of how many grapes and blueberries, etc., he's eating. We're back to sometimes kinda-solid, sometimes not-so-solid, but not diarrhea poops. :

I *think* that teething is a partial culprit here. Also he's been eating a huge amount lately, which I think contributes to it. Also I think my milk supply has dropped with my pg.

My DS seems healthy and happy and I have just decided not to worry about it unless it goes on for a lot longer.

HTH!

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

Old 08-17-2007, 03:46 PM

Brat????

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

Old 08-17-2007, 03:52 PM

BRAT = bananas, rice, apples, and toast.

But, my DD has never had consistently ploppable poop. It has nothing to do with diet really as *TMI* I've never had consistently ploppable poop either!!!

Teething is a big culprit in runny poop and too much juice or fruit can cause the same. I'd wait a little while and see what happens. Just make sure he's hydrated and feeling well. Diarrhea that lasts awhile CAN be a sign of a problem. But at this point it sounds normal.

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)
Old 08-17-2007, 04:41 PM

Being a CD-ing mama, there are days when I just long for ploppable poop!

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

Old 08-17-2007, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerieg View Post
Teething is a big culprit in runny poop and too much juice or fruit can cause the same. I'd wait a little while and see what happens. Just make sure he's hydrated and feeling well. Diarrhea that lasts awhile CAN be a sign of a problem. But at this point it sounds normal.
I'm starting to think it might be teething. He doesn't act sick, and he has plenty of wet diapers. He drinks very little juice, but he's been drinking more water lately since it's been so hot and humid. Also, I wouldn't say that he's had diarrhea for a week...just twice in the past week, but the rest have been a lot less solid than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. B. Sprout View Post
Being a CD-ing mama, there are days when I just long for ploppable poop!
Me, too! I've been trying to remember to use the flushable liners lately!

User Tag List