June 2006 Mamas - happy September! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2007, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
She has NEVER tried anything like this before, at least not to this degree. She mouthed S2's arm when S2 was hoarding the dog's toy one day about 8 months ago, but she's never acted openly aggressive toward me or one of the kids. She seems fine this morning, and is currently curled up beside me sleeping, but DH is done. He doesn't want to wait around and see if she'll do it again.

She's acting totally normal, eating/sleeping/bathrooming normally. She gets walked at least once a day (usually twice) and we spend nap time playing, either outside or in the living room, so she's not starved for attention. I just don't think her temperament is suited for little kids. She's great with teenagers, but not so great with the under 5 set.

I guess we'll call the Humane Society today. DH is gonna ask around in his office (there's only 5 other people) and see if anyone has land and no kids. Our local chapter of German Shepherd Rescue is full.

I hate this. She was my first baby.
Oh my. So so sad for you.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
We're a little slow (come on Korin, I know you want to jump on that one ), so I avoid busy shopping times.
Sigh. i shall resist. slowly.

Yes, HFM is not hoof andmouth disease. although most people get confused. HFM is caused by the coxsackie (giggle) virus. Common childhood illness, no biggie, but it sucks. So far, so good. sunday I shall consider us escaped.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
Sigh.
Yes, HFM is not hoof andmouth disease. although most people get confused. HFM is caused by the coxsackie (giggle) virus. Common childhood illness, no biggie, but it sucks. So far, so good. sunday I shall consider us escaped.
what was I thinking!!! of course (my mind is elsewere)

Sydney is using spoons and sometimes forks. I was at New Seasons in July and picket up a set of bamboo forks and spoons. Food totally sticks to the bamboo (untreated as far as I know) so *most* food makes it to her mouth. (except rice, that's a finger(s) food). She's pretty good with them if i don't say so myself:

Bad news, my mom is sick (stage 5 cancer) that's why were in the states for the summer. My dad called again today and said she's taken another down hill turn : so Sydney and I leave for Portland, OR on tuesady.

Any clusters of MDC mammas that gather in the Portland area?? It would be great to meet some like minded mammas.

Korin: I love your slideshow of your dd! It's sooooo cute!

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

Old 09-07-2007, 05:23 PM

Um dude. we p-town mamas gather a LOT. go over to the portland thread and join in.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:33 PM

Lori, I'm so sorry about your mom. I've met Korin in real life and can vouch that she will take good care of you and introduce you to neat people and good coffee shops for a distraction.

My Dingo's baby is out of the woods! She is, in fact, now home. Lots of happy Dingoes cavorting with joy this morning.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klynne View Post
Bad news, my mom is sick (stage 5 cancer) that's why were in the states for the summer. My dad called again today and said she's taken another down hill turn : so Sydney and I leave for Portland, OR on tuesady.
Just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear this I lost my Dad to cancer 3 months ago, so I couldn't read that and not respond.

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

Old 09-07-2007, 08:26 PM

Lori, somehow in reading your post the first time I missed why you are going to be in p-town. Sorry, my reading comprehension is pretty bad . when you get to p-town, please let me know if there is any way I can help. Even if it's just a meal delivered. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
Sarah, try posting about the dog situation over in the pets forum. There are a lot of people there with experience in behavior stuff and kids. How scary though, I hope you can figure something out. It would be sad to give up the dog, but of course she can't behave like that around kids.
I asked around and no one hd a clue.

We called the Humane Society today, ad they said that we can bring her in next week and they're confident they can place her quickly with a little-kid-less family.

Lori,

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 09-08-2007, 04:52 AM

Thanks guys, I just got a call from my dad early this morning. My mom died friday (eveing saturday morning for me). I can't believe this has happened, but have lots of peace.

Bundlefishmama: we're two peas in a pod.... unfortunately!

Just cause it's very healing for me to share. My mum was fighting cancer naturally and even was in remission for a good while (before she feel off the healthy diet/fighting protocal and came out). Anyways, she had me at home, was an LLLer leader in camas in the 80's when it wasnt popular to be a BFing mom, and was my total mothering inspiration/hero. She never ceased to encourage me in natural mothering and family living....

I would like very much to meet some MDC mammas in P-town, thanks Korin, I'll PM you when i get to town.

Ok, it's off to pack and get our little luv bug ready for another flight. I think we might even go to a flee market to get our minds off it all....

oh, and my name is Kari mom2tatum is Lori

Old 09-08-2007, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
I asked around and no one hd a clue.

We called the Humane Society today, ad they said that we can bring her in next week and they're confident they can place her quickly with a little-kid-less family.

I'm so sorry your dog freaked out. My friends dog did the same thing suddenly, it was so shocking ans scary.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:59 AM

Kari: So sorry about your mom. I'm glad you have some peace about it.

I'm going to be in Portland next week too, though for happier reasons.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
Old 09-08-2007, 04:59 AM

Kari, I'm so very sorry to hear about your mom's passing. She sounds like an amazing person. I hope your travels are safe, and that you have the space to grieve.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:03 AM

what are you all doing up so late?? Oh yea, it's only 12am for you all!
And thank you, yes, she was an amazing woman. I hope to be more like her in my own way in my life.

I actually can't wait to get to portland. I miss it so much!!

Megs: did you dog have puppies??

Old 09-08-2007, 10:41 AM

Kari, I'm so sorry to hear of your mom's passing
Old 09-08-2007, 11:26 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss, Kari.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 09-08-2007, 12:29 PM

Kari, so sorry for your loss. What an amazing role model to have had -- to STILL have! Thank you for sharing a bit about her. I hope your time in Portland is full of good memories and celebration of her life. And some good, hard, crying, too.

Did my dog have puppies? He's a neutered male, so... no... Are you thinking of Sarah (Sehbub) and her dog woes?

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:45 PM

Megan, you were talking about your Dingo's baby.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
Old 09-08-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Did my dog have puppies? He's a neutered male, so... no... Are you thinking of Sarah (Sehbub) and her dog woes?
I guess it can't then No, I just read you post about your dingo's baby who's out of the woods.... and was trying to understand... I guess that wasn't it

Thanks for all the hugs and kind words everyone, I appreciate it.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:12 PM

I am so sorry for your loss, Kari. What an absolutely amazing woman to have had as your mother. Few are that blessed, seriously. I am sure she was even more wonderful than you could put into those few words, I can just sense that. You seem to have such peace about it...not that it isn't extremely difficult, I'm sure, but wow...that in itself shows what a strong inspiring woman your mom must have been. Your bond with her will never die, and that is something I know. I lost my mom to breast cancer when I was a kid, right before my 10th birthday. It was awful for me then, but for you, as an adult, it must be a whole different sadness. I really feel for you. My mom also tried fighting it naturally for a few years (seeing all kinds of naturopaths and dieticians, vitamins, carrot and spinach juicing, all kinds of stuff, I remember) She got better, then worse, then resorted to chemo, then went into remission, then got worse again, then passed away, after a long hard battle for almost 5 years. I still miss her everyday, especially now having my own child. But, like you, I have always found peace in knowing what a sweet, caring, amazing person she was. Knowing what an impact she made on others and myself is something I take pride in and will carry that inspiration with me forever. So you know, it has helped me much over the years to talk with other women who've lost their mothers at all different ages.

I hope your time spent back in Portland with your family is refreshing and peaceful. God bless you.

Lori

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Old 09-08-2007, 07:11 PM

Sorry, this thread kind of turned into an off topic thread...
Thank you Lori, you hit the nail on the head. It's good to hear other mothers experiences with loosing their mother (or father) and we do take our parents legacy with us, it really inspires me to be the best mom I can be to dd and other dc who may come.

Back on topic:

Sydney is asking to nurse less and less, she doesn't eat much like I said so I don't think it's because of too many solids. Is this her way of weaning?? I don't want it to stop now! I feel it's too early. What do you all do?

Old 09-08-2007, 07:28 PM

Kari, please don't feel bad about going OT. We are all friends here, and support each other through whatever is needed. Please feel free to talk about it if you need to.

So it looks like we DO have HFM. I just got home from work and her bum is covered with red bumps.. just like the babe we got it from. so we may not be going to the zoo with Katie and Jess, and we may not be going to so cal for my uncle's funeral (he's close to dying and they think it will be any time now ) bleh. this weekend isn't my fave.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:34 PM

Korin, are you in favor of preventative chiro care for babies and kids?

Please state your reasons. :

My mother is worried.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:38 PM

We are exactly like you said. Not eating much, not nursing much. Drives me nuts sometimes. I walk around behind him with my shirt off, trying to tempt him - LOL, right? Usually he comes over and suck suck suck, then off again to play. Hardly ever for more than a minute.

I've been guessing its because he is learning a whole bunch right now...trying to say tons of words (finally trying, even though he really only can say these sounds: d, b, sh, s, k, p) and he is just exploring his world and discovering things like super fast, especially this past week or so. But, it is sort of frustrating even though I know its fine. I don't think its a way of weaning at all. I try to only give water in a cup limited times throughout the day, and maybe with breakfast add a bit of OJ - I don't want him to get in the habit of replacing my milk with other liquids just because its easier for his little mobile self.

Yeah, don't worry bout weaning, its probably just because its such a busy phase for them!

Old 09-08-2007, 07:39 PM

of course!
preventative care for babies and kids is more for stimulating the immune system and supporting their little body as it grows and learns to move.
Also helps those who aren't developing at the rate they are 'expected' to. Sometimes the reason a baby hasn't started crawling or walking is because something is hung up in their hips or low back.
IMO, it's also key to support a growing brain.

That's all i have in my addled brain state. you want some links?

Old 09-08-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
of course!
preventative care for babies and kids is more for stimulating the immune system and supporting their little body as it grows and learns to move.
Also helps those who aren't developing at the rate they are 'expected' to. Sometimes the reason a baby hasn't started crawling or walking is because something is hung up in their hips or low back.
IMO, it's also key to support a growing brain.

That's all i have in my addled brain state. you want some links?
links would be great!

S2 and J and I have been seeing a chiro for about three weeks now, and the babies get adjusted once a week, while I get adjusted twice a week (for now, then it'll drop to once a week). My mom said she asked a family friend, who has also treated us (chiro) and he said there was no reason to do preventative care on babies and kids, and thinks we're being had. The chiro we see now did nerve scans on all of us at the first appointment, after doing a full medical history, and the nerve scans showed damage in the areas we already have problems with.

Basically my mom thinks the preventative care is a load of crap.

I'm confident we're doing the right thing, just need to pass some info on to her to put her mind at ease.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:43 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the nerve scans. just doesn't jive with me. and preventative care is a diff time line for each person. some people i see preventatively 3x a year. some 3x a month. I'll get you some links (although the This site is good place to start.) later when i'm feeling better. right now i feel like crap.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:34 AM

Korin:

I'm sorry to hear you guys caught the bug Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Lori> That's exactly how we have it here, and i to have gone around with one breast hanging out in hopes of tempting dd : She just gets this certain smile and sometimes takes a gulp or just doesn't care at all.

I didn't think about it, but she does LOVE water and has a sippie on the floor that she can drink from whenever she wants.

Long story short, I woke up at 3am dh got up at 3:45 with dd and got her ready. We took off 4:15 and waited in the check in line at the airport for 1.5 hrs only to find out I needed to get my tickets form the ticket counter first, waited there .45min only to find out they couldn't print out my ticket. So we missed the flight. : : : we can't leave until Tuesday. *sigh* I really like Lufthansa but there customer service has been 100% horrible.
I love Norway, but everything is closed on Sunday's still so you can't get ANYTHING done except yard work. Gotta love Americas 24hr system (sometimes...)

pix of us: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39708339@N00/

Old 09-09-2007, 02:49 PM

That really sucks about HFM, Korin. Ick! Hopefully it'll go away sooner rather than later.
Kari - OMG about the flight situation. I would have lost my mind...Your mental and emotional strength is really being tested lately. Try and keep your head up!
Your pictures are absolutely beautiful. Sydney is gorgeous! What you capture is really really amazing. I had to look at ALL of them, I couldn't stop, they were just so nice. And, I showed my dh, because he loves taking digital photos and he appreciated the beauty of the outside shots especially. Good for you! Do you do that professionally? What kind of camera do you have?

Old 09-09-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tatum View Post
That really sucks about HFM, Korin. Ick! Hopefully it'll go away sooner rather than later.
Kari - OMG about the flight situation. I would have lost my mind...Your mental and emotional strength is really being tested lately. Try and keep your head up!
Your pictures are absolutely beautiful... Do you do that professionally? What kind of camera do you have?

There isn't much I could do about the flight. I was about to cry when he told me everything he was trying didn't work. He was a really good service rep. We were mad at Lufthansa, it was they that messed up. DH took care of calling around and getting them to admit to doing wrong but it took 3hrs of phone calls... sjeesh... We wanted them to pay for the flight but they wouldn't agree to it. We will write a letter of complaint. We're not *itchy people but we use Lufthansa exclusively and fly a lot, so I expected better treatment. Thankfully Sydney was asleep most of the time we were at the aport... otherwise it could have been really stressing.

Thanks for the nice comments. I love looking at every one elses pics so I had to share from our family. Add me as a contact and I'll add you, I'm mostly private. I use a Nikon D70, just pre-ordered the D300. I'm a freelance interior photographer for the time being, hoping to start portrait some time this year or next (I'm working on my portfolio now). You can also join us at the photo mammas tribe if you want

Old 09-09-2007, 10:30 PM

Great pix, Kari. I think I still have our pictures in my signature. If not, here's our dirt eating one. We have the same camera. Sorry about the flight situation. The last thing you need, eh?

Sorry about the sick and everything else, Korin!

My keyboard is suffering bc someone jammed waffle under the shift key and ripped off the enter key, so forgive any weirdness.

I think I need to buy a potty. Yesterday she got up in the morning, played by the bed, climbed back in the bed with us, pointed at her crotch, and said "poop!" And...yeah. Tonight I put a fresh dipe on her, and she ran around for a minute and then started pitching a fit about the diaper. She hasn't worn a Haute pocket in a while, so i wasn't sure if it just felt weird or what, but I took it off, and she did a huge pee right on the hardwood. Ha! At least I had a diaper to mop it up.

K off to paint the bathroom the millionth coat.

User Tag List