June 2006 Mamas - happy September! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2007, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this really it? The first September post??

Sebastian has decided that in a former lifetime, he was a prankster, and it's time to revive the tradition. OK, so we kind of had an inkling already. But he's been all about the jokes lately.

A 14-month-old's sense of humor runs this way:

"Hmm. What can I do that will be funny? I know!"

And he stealthily climbs down off his chair and runs into the kitchen of whatever restaurant we're in. Cue the mad dash to grab him before he gets too far. Plop him back in his chair.

"Ooh! That worked! Great reaction from Mama! Let's see if I can get Dadoo."

Stealthily climbs off his chair again, waiting until we're completely distracted by something else (like his sister). Makes his way over to the kitchen. Stands and sways just enough to catch Dadoo's peripheral vision. Grins THAT grin. The one that says *Mischief incarnate. Hell on wheels. Right over here, oh yeah.* And runs for the kitchen while dh lurches out of his chair to grab him.

Being a 14-month-old, this is funny MANY times. Over and over and over again. Distractions? Ha! He mocks our puny attempts at distraction. (Little attempts like, oh, strapping him into a baby seat, offering up food, a complete change of scenery, leaving the restaurant. . . . )

We're so screwed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2007, 12:28 PM

Stuart's just now starting to do that whole "pause, wait for them to notice me, *then* wreak havoc" thing... and it is indeed frightening! And your is doing it in restaurant kitchens! Scary! Though maybe he'll grow to be a chef one day?

After reading everyone's posts about what their LOs are eating in last month's thread (i'm new, so I was trying to "catch up"), I decided to be take the plunge and start moving off the baby food a bit faster (we had been doing up to 7 jars a day, with just bits of table food at the end of each meal), and it's gone great so far!

I'm still giving him one jar to start with, as "insurance" that he gets some healthy food in him, but then I'm doing the rest of the meal as table food. Yesterday he had almost a whole banana at breakfast, and a bunch of little raviolis (still baby food, but not pureed!) for lunch. Dinner we got lazy and did two jars because were out, but today I'll try to make sure all three are on the new format. This morning he had almost a whole multigrain freezer waffle with cream cheese on it...

Now I just have to start making up some pastas and veggies ahead of time so we have quick food for his meals...

So, thanks for the good examples, everyone!

(and just so I don't seem like a completely overprotective mama, he had a very slow to mature belly, and up until just a month or so ago, even cheerios or pasta would cause horrible pain. We were worried about celiac and other problems, and since most kid type foods seem to contain those sort of ingredients, we just stuck with the jars while we were figuring out what he could have without pain... then, it seems he just outgrew it, and so now we have all the new food options!)
Old 09-02-2007, 12:57 AM

Sarah, Harper thinks it's totally funny to play "I pooped, now chase me around the table if you want to change me!" Little bugger is fast, too. We have seriously limited our eating out time due to it being stressful with all the chasing. We've had the best luck with crayons, but it means one of us is always drawing with her or monitoring her to keep her from eating them!

Pleasantstreets, I've read that the body doesn't really produce the enzyme to break down grains until the molars are in. Don't know how true that is, but it's interesting. I wonder how he'd do with a grain like quinoa? Harper likes it, and there is tons of protein in there. It's super fast to cook, and it's a good non-wheat option. We have good luck with quesadillas, and you can hide all kinds of things in there. Also sandwiches and smoothies. It must be weird to go from purees to table food suddenly, but we never did purees, and she doesn't like that texture. Go figure. She'll eat pudding and yogurt, but not apple sauce. I gave her apple sauce the other day to dip her latke, and she gave me the "OMG poison" face.

Oh, we recently found out she likes Cream of Wheat. I've been eating it too. Mmmm, processed. And we dip now. She had a dip developmental leap.

I can't believe it's September either :
Old 09-02-2007, 12:59 AM

Oh, now I remembered what I wanted to ask...teeth updates? She just cut 2 bottom canines. The 4th molar is half through. She has been a pill while this is going on. Anyone have the first 16 teeth in? I am *really* hoping eep-slay gets better when the first 16 are all through. Oh please, oh please?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:25 AM

We've got 12 teeth, almost. The top two molars are just pushing through the last flap of skin, bottom two are all the way in. Eep-slay seemed to get better after the top molars cut the second ridge, but has gotten screwed right up again since DH's work schedule has been screwy for the last month. Canines appear to be a couple weeks off yet. (just in time for our trip, I'm sure.) She was awake between 11 and 1 last night. Didn't want to be touched, but didn't want me to leave her alone. The kid would lay in bed perfectly still for half an hour, but if I shifted my weight (not in bed with her) in preparation to leave, she'd start to cry. Ugh.

H - in regards to applesauce... K refuses to eat it too, but if I dump in a bunch of cinnamon, she scarfs it. She likes some flavor. I bought 4 kinds of hummus at the farmers' market this afternoon. That should keep us happy for a while. Yum.

Have also realized that half of the "good girl" statements we thought she was saying are actually "gentle". It appears that from afar she says "good girl" and close up she says "gentle". It's a very subtle difference, but it's coming out more & more. Cat has realized that although small person is very loud and excited, she's also gentle and will pet Cat forever before she gets bored. This makes Cat very happy.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
Old 09-02-2007, 01:28 AM

Helen, I think that Geneva is working on some teeth. Buhhhhht..... as every time I try to check, I fear I will pull out a bloody finger stump, it's hard to say for sure. So, technically she still just has those first 8 easily visible toothers.

There has been much finger chomping and crankiness today, though, so...? But what the heck do I know? I'm just her mom.

She hasn't dashed into any restaurant kitchens yet, but I do get the "touch this cabinet door that I know I'm not 'sposed to touch, then coyly look back at mom and shake my head". I love it. And her cheeseball grin.

But eepslay was good last night. All co-slept, even! She's really learning to just chill out, spoon her back up against me, and settle back down. Huzzah. She went until 3:45 before being vocal about anything, but still went back down without nursing. I don't know what time it was the next time she woke up, but I just flipped out the boob anyway. I was so proud of her.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:30 AM

Hi everyone!!
I am new here, I was a member (of mdc) years ago, but lost that info on my old computer

My name is Debbie, mom of 2. Ds is 7 and Dd is 14 months. Dd is a homebirth baby and we breastfeed, babywear, cosleep, cloth diaper, etc. we're pretty crunchy, lol...

Currently I SAH with the kidlets. My hobbies are sewing and crafting, biking and walking and of course just playing.

I look forward to 'meeting' everyone here!
*edited to add that Dd has 12 teeth. She cut all four molars right around her 1st b-day. I am wondering when her eye teeth (canines?) will come in...
Old 09-02-2007, 02:03 AM

Forgot a funny thing.

Apparently, K doesn't like to get messy at all. She likes dips, but she won't dip things in them, and if her food has been dipped she won't touch it. She opens her mouth as wide as it will go, but you have to put the food in for her. I was dipping a cookie in my coffee the other morning and she was watching intently. A minute later, she asked for another cracker, and I gave her one. She handed it back to me, pointed at my coffee cup, and waited patiently. So I pretended to dip the cracker in my coffee, and she opened her mouth wide and grinned as she ate her cracker. This went on for like 4 crackers.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:13 AM

We have 8 teeth. some more are moving, as evidenced by the ap-cray eep-slay, and the constant chewing of the hands, but who knows which teeth.

Food - ruby eats whatever we do, but still no what or dairy (other than a little yogurt). She loves rice pasta and oats and all that jazz. Currently have gluten free oatmeal cookies cooling on the stove. :

She's hilarious. too tired to tell stories right now tho. you'll have to trust me.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:41 AM

Subscribing. BBL.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 09-02-2007, 12:47 PM

Re-posting what I posted to the old thread - LOL, I'm wondering why no one responded about my 6 zillion adorable photos and then I realized, DUH, it's September!! (thanks Sarah for the reminder!) I was probably in denial about this month coming because that means - ugh - I am changing decades imminently!! Yikes! (Yes, I know, I'm still young, 30 is the new 20 and all that crap, but still....it seems strange, I don't feel like 30 at all! And my 20s have been so fantastic, I'm kind scared to start a 'new phase' so to speak if that makes any sense at all...probably does not since I haven't had nearly enough coffee yet this morning....)

Anyway here's what I posted over there, and I'll BBL to catch up....and BTW welcome to all the new mamas joining us!!

Hi everyone! Wow, I haven't checked in here in ages, it's been so busy! I have some major catching up to do! But first, anyone want to see an entire summer's worth of pics of my kids?! You know you do... OK, you don't have to look at all of them, there are 6 slideshows linked together here; all my kids' birthdays, our road-trip trip to Chicago for the LLLI 50th Anniv. Int'l Conference, a bfing rally at the Capitol in Harrisburg - and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff But you do have to look at the Chicago pics - Amy (Amys1st) and I met IRL and did lunch with some other MDC mamas, which was awesome.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=1&y=-sov84a

I have to get the kiddos to bed but I'll be back for personals later, I have so much to read back - oh except I have to say, Lisa, CONGRATS!!!!! I did notice THAT!! So happy for you that everything is OK now, it must have been so scary! Elias is absolutely adorable. What an entrance into the world!! Hope you're enjoying your babymoon now!

Everyone else, hope you & your babes (sorry, TODDLERS, I still forget!!) and families have had a *wonderful* summer!!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

Old 09-02-2007, 05:07 PM

Hi. We're working on the two bottom molars. The top ones have landed. Over and out.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:14 PM

We have 12 teeth. The bottom 2 molars are all the way in, and the top two just have a teensy bit of gum left hanging on for dear life. Hopefully those will be through soon.

Not like it matters. If one of them isn't teething, the other one is. I can't catch a break, dude.

J's doing a very efficient low crawl now. Goddess help me. No wonder my pants are falling off...I never get to sit down! And eating? What's that again? You mean they actually make food HOT? If I don't eat it while it's scalding, I get to eat it cold. There's no "let's give it a minute to reach a comfortable temperature" here. Uh uh.

Feck, she's unwinding all of my embroidery floss bobbins. GAH!

ETA: Have I mentioned how much fun it is to have two babies 9 1/2 months apart???

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 09-02-2007, 11:13 PM

Hi!
Congrats Lisa!
Hi, "new" people!
Teeth: I *think* we have 3 molars through, one almost in, two canines almost through, and two on the way. Sleep not so good. I am happy to know, though, that my baby is not the only vampire nurser. I wake up in the morning and am surprised my nipples are not permanently wounded. I thought it was just the pregnancy shtuff, but guess not. Lots of drool, too. Jon finally saw the canines and couldn't imagine how much it must hurt. Babies. God has a sense of humor. Ha.
Food: no junky crap, no juice, no milks, but eats most everything else. No dips (haven't tried yet). Loves corn on the cob and as an extra bonus, keeps him busy for a while. Loves fruit, veggies, beans, crackers, little sandwiches, fish, yogurt (don't give much, a pitb and too much sugar). Yesterday had lentil soup and totally dug it.
He has a great sense of humor. Today we went to the fair and he got to see cows horses and pigs. Thought that was great.
Gotta head out. I'm a working fiend, and tired.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:51 AM

Love the sig, Jess.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ahh, thisis the DDC I know and love - go away for a weekend and miss 300 posts! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasantstreets View Post
I decided to be take the plunge and start moving off the baby food a bit faster (we had been doing up to 7 jars a day, with just bits of table food at the end of each meal), and it's gone great so far!
Excellent! Glad he's liking the new stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
Oh, now I remembered what I wanted to ask...teeth updates? She just cut 2 bottom canines. The 4th molar is half through. She has been a pill while this is going on. Anyone have the first 16 teeth in? I am *really* hoping eep-slay gets better when the first 16 are all through. Oh please, oh please?
We're still hoding at 14 here, these blasted top canines are taking forever to come down. I feel one lower canine through the gum *right there*, but the other not yet. So that's 2 canines and the 2-yr molars left to go. It has to end some time, right???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDayz View Post

: Debbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama View Post
Re-posting what I posted to the old thread - LOL, I'm wondering why no one responded about my 6 zillion adorable photos and then I realized, DUH, it's September!!
I just took a looky look:
a) NICE house!!
b) We have both Phil the drill and the pigeon books, and love them.
c) Beautiful family and great pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
Not like it matters. If one of them isn't teething, the other one is. I can't catch a break, dude.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
Hi!
Loves corn on the cob and as an extra bonus, keeps him busy for a while. <snip>
I'm a working fiend, and tired.
Yeah, K couldn't care less about corn niblets, but give her a cob and she's a happy camper.

And, uh gee, I can't imagine why you'd be tired. : Hope you can maybe get some rest today!!

So, we just got back (well, to my parents' house for a pit stop - will be home home this afternoon) from a weekend in NYC/Long Island visiting friends. K spent 3 HOURS with friend, kids, and friend's mom while I was incapacitated upstairs (more on that later) - the point is, she was away from me for 3 HOURS. And didn't cry ONCE. Unfortunately, the next day she screamed bloody murder when I went upstairs to brush my teeth, and it took me 10 minutes to calm her down. Sigh. Baby steps, baby steps.

Re: the incapacitation. I've gotten back to having 'ovulation migraines', apparently. . I never had them before, until suddenly about a year postpartum with D, and then had them monthly right about when I ovulated until I got pregnant with K 6 months later and they stopped....and then I totally forgot about them....until Saturday. How freeking miserable. The light and sound sensitivity, the nausea, feeling like I had an ice pick in between my eyes. Good grief. I couldn't even sit on the couch and pretend to mingle with some friends who were visiting, I had to excuse myself for fear I was going to puke all over them. Lovely. I can't even imagine what i would have been like if K woulnd't have been OK hanging out with my friends....shudder. I felt absolutely fine the next day, like it never happened. I wonder if they're here to stay since we're all but 100% done with kids for now, so no pregnancy to get rid of them again? I'll have to figure out how to prophylactically treat myself around ovulation time every month; anyone got any good ideas for treatment (nautral or allopathic)??? Anyone else have this happen? I was telling my mom about it, and it was like a lightbulb went off in her head cause she said, "oh my God, I never connected it with ovulating. It used to happen to me all the time, too." Thanks for passing that on to me, mom. :

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Old 09-03-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
I just took a looky look:
a) NICE house!!
b) We have both Phil the drill and the pigeon books, and love them.
c) Beautiful family and great pics!
Thanks!! Took us months to get the house fixed up and repainted after the flood, but it's finally come together pretty nicely! And, nearly 9 months after moving, we are finally completely unpacked

Andrew is obsessed with Phil the Drill! I had just resolved to get rid of all (most?) of our battery-eating, obnoxious plastic toys, and now he falls in love with this thing. Very nice when your toddler is nursing and "drilling" your head at the same time

Sorry about your migraines, that sounds awful! Don't know about any natural remedies....my DH has migraines and takes an rx called Imitrex which he swears helps almost instantly. I don't know offhand if it's safe while nursing but I could look it up in my LLL books if you wanted....

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

Old 09-03-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
But eepslay was good last night. All co-slept, even! She's really learning to just chill out, spoon her back up against me, and settle back down.
I love baby spooning. So sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDayz View Post
Hi everyone!!
*edited to add that Dd has 12 teeth. She cut all four molars right around her 1st b-day. I am wondering when her eye teeth (canines?) will come in...
Hi Debbie! For us, the canines started working through about 3 weeks after the last molar cut. Last molar isn't even totally in. Bleah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
Apparently, K doesn't like to get messy at all. She likes dips, but she won't dip things in them, and if her food has been dipped she won't touch it.
That's so cute! Harper just started up and dipping one day because she saw us doing it. She has obvious disgust if any of it gets on her hands, and half the time she doesn't want it eat whatever she dipped, haha. She'll eat guacamole, and that's about it. Who doesn't like hummus? Her, apparently, now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
She's hilarious. too tired to tell stories right now tho. you'll have to trust me.
But Ruby always works blue! My virgin ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
I am happy to know, though, that my baby is not the only vampire nurser. I wake up in the morning and am surprised my nipples are not permanently wounded. I thought it was just the pregnancy shtuff, but guess not. Lots of drool, too. Jon finally saw the canines and couldn't imagine how much it must hurt. Babies. God has a sense of humor.
Last night I thought my head was going to explode. Death by nursing? She would nurse, then cry WITH a nipple in her mouth. I think it was the teeth. Or perhaps I was Pol Pot in a former life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
We're still hoding at 14 here, these blasted top canines are taking forever to come down. I feel one lower canine through the gum *right there*, but the other not yet. So that's 2 canines and the 2-yr molars left to go. It has to end some time, right???
So here's my question - if the first 16 come in by, say, 16 months, which it looks like for us, do the 2-year molars wait til closer to 24 months, or will it be the usual 1 month break before we dive right in to those? : I was kind of hoping for a nice 8 months of better eep-slay. Yeah, right, huh? Harper's cousin just got his 6-year molars at age 3.

Sorry about the migraines, that stinks. I've only had a few ever where I could say it was probably a migraine (with the light/noise disturbances), and trepanation always felt like a good option at the time. I am a terrible person who hangs on to expired narcotic painkillers for just such a reason. If it is indeed ovulation that's the trigger, I guess hormonal bcp would suppress the ovulation, but that's another can of worms in itself :/ Maybe the folks in Health & Healing would know some remedies? Accupuncture?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:33 PM

Migraines suck. sorry heather. at least you only ovulate once a month, right?

Teeth can eat my i'm TIRED of being chewed on for hours at a time all night long. I think we have ONE MOLAR coming in on the bottom. ONE. which means it could be a month of hell, followed by 3 MORE MOLARS... then the : canines. : Lord help me.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:01 PM

Imitrex is the "miracle drug" for headache migraines. Alas, as we learned when Dan was in the ER after Christmas for round two of "Why am I having stroke-like symptoms?", they decided it was a complex migraine and shot him up with imitrex. Immediately, he began puking and feeling horrible. All of his symptoms worsened. If they had waited for input from the Neurologist, they would have found out that Imitrex makes neurological migraines worse. Hooray!

So, maybe you can just get enough syringes of imitrex to shoot yourself up once a month? That is, of course, if the allopathic stuff doesn't help first.

Helen, I'll just let you know that I was served up some serious crow by my spooning daughter. The night after that last post, she woke at 12:30 and would. not. sleep. again. She crawled all over us, kicked, maimed, yada yada. Dan finally sent me downstairs at 2:30 and he got her back down by 3. Up again at 5. 5am is my "magic nightweaning is over" time, so I happily pulled out the boobs and we slept until 8:30.

Then last night she did great. I caved on the boob thing around 3am, but it was a molar sympathy cave. Plus, she'd been asleep since 7pm...

Well, time to check on the soup, have a little lunch and be productive for another hour before we head to my 'rents for Labor Day BBQ.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:14 PM

My mom uses these for her migraines, and she says they work really well. Her migraines are tied to her cycle, and also allergy induced.

She used to use imitrex, but it made her violently ill.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:45 PM

Wow, I guess my DH is lucky he hasn't any side effects, that sounds nasty! He only takes it once every couple of months when he gets a bad migraine (for him, usually stress-related or lack of sleep-related, or sometimes if his bp is up - he has high blood pressure). And btw it comes in pill form, doesn't have to be shots. Hopefully you'll find something natural or not so strong and won't have to worry about it anyway!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
So here's my question - if the first 16 come in by, say, 16 months, which it looks like for us, do the 2-year molars wait til closer to 24 months, or will it be the usual 1 month break before we dive right in to those? : I was kind of hoping for a nice 8 months of better eep-slay. Yeah, right, huh? Harper's cousin just got his 6-year molars at age 3.

Sorry about the migraines, that stinks. I've only had a few ever where I could say it was probably a migraine (with the light/noise disturbances), and trepanation always felt like a good option at the time. I am a terrible person who hangs on to expired narcotic painkillers for just such a reason. If it is indeed ovulation that's the trigger, I guess hormonal bcp would suppress the ovulation, but that's another can of worms in itself :/ Maybe the folks in Health & Healing would know some remedies? Accupuncture?
D had all of his baby teeth by the time he was 18 months, so we got no break for 2 yr molars. :

Yeah, the hormonal stuff isn't gonne fly as my mom had premenopausal breast cancer and I'm only 5 years younger than she was when she was diagnosed....not worth the risk for me, I already pushed my comfort envelope by being on hormonal BC for 7 years when I was younger. I've read up a lot over hte past day and have some good options I'm going to try out - if I cna't get any relief over the counter, I'll go to my doc and ask for an Rx just to use a few days a month.

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama View Post
Andrew is obsessed with Phil the Drill! I had just resolved to get rid of all (most?) of our battery-eating, obnoxious plastic toys, and now he falls in love with this thing. Very nice when your toddler is nursing and "drilling" your head at the same time
Oh yeah - he's one of our few electronic/talking toys, too. "Let's get to work!" "I think I have a screw loose!" Me too Phil, me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
My mom uses these for her migraines, and she says they work really well. Her migraines are tied to her cycle, and also allergy induced.

She used to use imitrex, but it made her violently ill.
I think I'm gonna check the health food section of my favorite market and see what kind of remedies like this they might have.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Old 09-04-2007, 01:13 PM

Heather, i'm so happy your mom is a breast cancer survivor. Your boobs will be in my thoughts. seriously tho.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:25 PM

Wow, I can't believe how many teeth your DC all have!!! Sydney has 5, two on the top and three on the bottom, all in the front, of course....

Oh how I would LOVE to be a mom in the US... hummus dip and all the yummy foods.... *sigh*. DD had a wonderful appetite in the US but won't eat anything (hardly) since we've come home except rice (when I make it with chicken broth instead of water). I'm getting sooooo tired of trying EVERYTHING and her just throwing it on the floor.... Norwegians eat tons of bread with toppings (cheese, liverwurst, meats...) but she won't have any part of it, I suspect everyone here thinks I'm starving her

Other than eating we're having fun. her new thing is the freezer (they're on the bottom of the fridge over here) she points to is and yells... and now she's strong enough to get it open and pull stuff out when I'm say going to the bathroom or something like that

And who invented sell-able toys? What a scam!!! ( I know cause we have tons that never get played with! ) they never get played with now, she's too busy with mamma and pappa's things!

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

Old 09-04-2007, 05:05 PM

Klynne, if you can find chickpeas, you can make your own hummus. Someone at our farmers' market was even selling hummus made with black beans.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:17 PM

When we were in the states we bought this one brand from New Seasons, it was sooo good. I tried to make it from scratch but it just doesn't taste the same and dd didn't like it anyways...

She only ate that one brand. I think I'm going to head over to the nutrition forum and try to find a picky eaters thread... Actually today I got the thought that maybe her food adversions is due to US starting her on solids vs. HER wanting them. Oh the small things I will do differently next time 'round.

Black bean dip sounds good! Thanks for the tip!!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:50 PM

Klynne, maybe your lack of hummus can be looked at as a tradeoff for living in Norway -- land of incredible maternity leave and family support! I'm such a socialist at heart. And 1/4 Norwegian by heritage. Reeeeeally want to go there someday.

Am starting to ramp up the day care hours so Nevie gets acclimated. Met one of the other moms for that school today when I dropped nevie off... she looked way familiar. Go figure -- she is going to be one of my Professors in PT school!

Neves was a champion eepslayer again the last couple of nights. Buffy the Eepslayer, in fact. I should look for her own Mr. Pointy for a Christmas present. Anywho... that was after some LOVELY passive-aggressive judgment and snarky rudeness from my mother yesterday about us cosleeping. Mostly I think she's just appalled that we haven't moved the crib out of our room yet (where Nevie slept from 8pm to 3am last night, natch). I'm trying not to give a crap, but it's tough. I need to be more direct and clear when she is a complete turd, rather than dropping to her level and snapping back. She's just unpredictable about where her approval lies. And even though I know I don't *need* her approval, it would be nice for her to either offer it or just shut the he!! up.

Can you tell I'm a bit miffed right now? Anyway. Each night that our routine of "start in crib and move to bed with us" works out really well, I just think that's further proof we're doing the right thing. And we have a really awesome kid to show for it. Sooooo... there. OK, that's enough ranting from me.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:35 AM

Oh Meggers, I have my own mommy issues. Compleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetely understizzand.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Klynne, maybe your lack of hummus can be looked at as a tradeoff for living in Norway -- land of incredible maternity leave and family support! I'm such a socialist at heart. And 1/4 Norwegian by heritage. Reeeeeally want to go there someday.

Can you tell I'm a bit miffed right now? Anyway. Each night that our routine of "start in crib and move to bed with us" works out really well, I just think that's further proof we're doing the right thing. And we have a really awesome kid to show for it. Sooooo... there. OK, that's enough ranting from me.
Come to Norway! But save up your pennies!! The dollar is REALLY weak over here...

Though I am a conservative thinker, I do like the system here, but it does have it's drawbacks. However, I'm happy to pay my taxes and get 8-10 months paid maternity leave (you can choose). I think it works well enough here because there are only 4.5 million Norwegians living in the country...

I'm sure you guys are doing a great job with sleeping. We do the same as you guys and it's working great. It's natural to want affirmation from one's mother, I hope she wakes up and see's what a good job your doing!

User Tag List