Ergo Baby Carrier for larger kids? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-17-2003, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw on the website that the Ergo Baby Carrier can be used for kids up to 60 lbs. My ds is 30 lbs. and I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying one but am wondering about the comfort level with larger kiddos - particularly whether or not it does a good job of keeping the strain off of one's lower back. I've been using our Rebozo which he loves, but I'm so bony up top that the knot actually bruises me, and I also can't seem to keep the fabric from cutting into his legs. Hoping this will be better.....

Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 07-17-2003, 07:11 PM

I own a Baby Trekker (similar to an Ergo) and was able to walk around the zoo for a few hours with my 2 year old in it. She at that time weighed around 24 pounds. It was wonderful on my back and I have a bad back. I wouldn't want to use it on a regular basis though, she's just too heavy. I mostly bought it to use with baby#2.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 8 Old 07-17-2003, 09:43 PM

I've worn my 2 1/2yo, 27# dd2 on my back and hip in the Ergo and it was very comfortable. However, I have yet to do it for an extended period of time b/c I usually have my dd3 in it.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#4 of 8 Old 07-17-2003, 10:48 PM

I have a 30lb 2 year old and we had an ergo for a bit, for us it was just too much. It was okay for a few minutes but that was it. But most people seem to like it, so I think its totally an individual thing.
#5 of 8 Old 07-18-2003, 12:18 AM

we have a 30 pound 16 month old. i can wear her on my back for at least 1 1/2 hours--more if she's asleep for some reason). i have a tiny frame and the padded shoulder straps are nice for that. i also think it keeps her weight low and closer to my center of gravity. too bad you couldn't try one before you bought it.....
#6 of 8 Old 07-18-2003, 02:01 AM

Moving this to the Toddler forum. If you do a search there, I'm sure you'll get lots of info on different carriers for older babies.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#7 of 8 Old 07-18-2003, 12:21 PM

I think dd is about 23 or 24 lbs now - but we have no problems with the Ergo. I use both the front and back carries. I love it at the grocery store, mall, or going for a walk - I often walk her in it at bedtime to put her to sleep (refuses to nurse to sleep anymore...)

Lisa
Carina 7/22/02
#8 of 8 Old 07-18-2003, 02:00 PM

Just for a lark, I carried my friend's 6-year-old DD, over 50 pounds, on my back in the ergo at Niagara falls this 4th of July. I carried her for almost a mile (from the observation deck on Goat Island to the end of the bridge going back to the parking lot). We had been walking around all day, pushing a stroller, etc. It was a bit heavy but very do-able. It was uphill too. (I am woman hear me roar, LMAO). The only thing is that at the end she complained that it was pinching her legs a little. She was wearing a skirt with no leggings so I suspect this wouldn't be a problem with a smaller kid and with pants.

My kids (the usual ergo riders) are 22 and 20 lbs at 15 months, and I find it very comfy. I definitely recommend it.

Cate

Tags
Ergo Baby , Soft Structured Carriers , Ergo Baby Carrier Camel W Camel , Ergo Baby Carrier Cranberry W Cranberry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page