question for all you slingers.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2003, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello! i've got some sling questions.

i have a new native baby carrier, which is ok. i'd like to get another sling, one that's adjustable. my dd is 18mo and 24lbs. i'm 5ft and around 100-110lbs. i prefer unpadded slings.

i'd like to buy one sling that both my mom and i can use. the problem is, my mother is 5ft4 and around 180lbs. what would accomadate both of us??

i like the maya wraps' prints. if i got a maya wrap, would one size fit us both? what size?

thanx in advance for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2003, 07:47 PM

i have bought my sister 2 of the Over The SHoulder Baby Holders. She loves them. We are not same size; and she and I and her much bigger hubby wear them.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 07-18-2003, 07:56 PM

I think a maya wrap would work if you don't mind having a long tail. You could just tuck it into the sling. I love mine and both dh and I use it, so does my mom. She is 5'4" 135, I am 5'7" 131, and dh is 5'10" 165. I have a medium size maya. They are very adjustable! And no padding

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

Old 07-18-2003, 11:57 PM

I will post her web site so you can take a look.

http://www.geocities.com/thebabyspac...ablepouch.html

Kari Mom to 4 boys Justin, Nathan, Tyler & Brian
Old 07-19-2003, 04:01 AM

I love my fleece pouch!1 I have a 17 monthold that weighs 27 pounds and she fits in it perfectly, can nurse init and sleep in it!1 Go check out www.kagarookorner.com
Check out the Adjustable fllece pouch it is fabulous!!!
Old 07-19-2003, 12:01 PM

I've heard great things about the maya wraps and the didymos slings

I have one from
www.taylormadetreasures.com

that is a great fabric

I prefer the Baby Trekker, but that's cause I have a wimpy back adn it provides great support!
Old 07-19-2003, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

hey sailormom, ya forgot the "n" in kangaroo

i think we're gonna go with a medium maya.... i'm gonna do some more sling research first.

thanx mommas!!!!
Old 07-21-2003, 04:13 AM

Hi Fyrflymommy!

I have a friend that has been making/selling great slings for awhile. They are the unpadded type and would accomodate both you and your mother. I would say that they are similar to the Maya Wrap style. Her prices are very reasonable b/c her philosophy is that everyone should be able to afford these types of products. Her work is quality and she has some great fabrics. My DD is almost 2 and I still use mine. She doesn't have a web site(yet!) but if you PM me I will pass along her email.

Hope this helps,
Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
Old 07-21-2003, 08:06 AM

I think the medium size Maya wrap would work great for you and your mom.

I have the medium, and its worked great for my dh and I; the only difference in the sizes is the length of the "tail".

It was the best $40 I've spent! use it ALL the time, and dd is now 16mon. I've used it for the kangaroo carry (her favorite) when she was a babe, to secure her in the shopping cart when she was younger, hip-slinging now, also using it as a leash now too, when we are in busy, crowded public places. the back hold was the only one I didn't feel like I could do very securely.

good luck!
Old 07-21-2003, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Maya Wrap and loving it. Didn't find out about Maya Wrap or slings in general until Madyson was I believe 13 months. Either 12 or 13, it sorta runs together at this point. I have been slinging her since then and she will be 3 in 2 days!! She is a 31lb, 37inch 3 year old who slings a couple times a week for a few hours each time. I have a medium and I am 5foot 5inches and weigh 150lbs. My mom is 5foot 6inches and weighs about 280lbs and she can still sling Madyson. So I would definitely go with the medium. Buy the medium and the tail will be pretty long but it's worth it for wiping runny noses and sticky hands and faces and discreet nursing covers and rain and sun covers and as a napping shield for little faces and for older toddlers to hang onto while walking and such. The long tail is great!
Meg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Old 07-21-2003, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

hey has anyone used a mesh/water sling? cuz i'm thinking of getting one of those, too. dd likes to shower with me but it's kinda hard to hold her and wash and not fall over.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I personally didn't take Madyson into the shower with me until she was about 18months or so. Steady on her feet and able to stand up or sit down in the shower when I needed her to. I personally used a handheld showerhead to wash us both down while I squatted and she sat in her tub seat(you know the kind. the little ring they sit in). Before that point we were taking baths together. I'm sad to say that for the last 6months or so she's been refusing to take a shower with me. She wants her independence from that too!!!!
Meg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

User Tag List