Mothering Forum banner

I think we are making a mistake.

715 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ceay05 
#1 ·
we have been trying to move ds to his big boy bed with not alot of luck. He was always a great sleeper in his crib. He just started climbing out 2 minutes after putting him in. Well, dh (ds only goes to dh at night) has decided the last few nights just to bring him to our bed. We are all sleeping very well now, but I am afraid ds will never want in his own bed. I have been working hard on naps getting him to fall asleep on his own with 50/50 success. As soon as ds wakes at night, dh just brings him right to our bed. I really do not mind him there, I am just afraid we are setting ourselves up for a kid that sleeps with us forever.

Plus sometimes I wake before ds does in the morning. If I get up, he is up right away!! Sorry for the rant, I am just aggravated.

Should I just think, at least we are all sleeping good???? Should I just wait a bit until he understands things better when I tell him to stay in bed?

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ceay05 View Post
Should I just think, at least we are all sleeping good???? Should I just wait a bit until he understands things better when I tell him to stay in bed?
That sounds like a good way to approach it. If he starts out sleeping in his own bed, then comes to snuggle with you in the middle of the night, you've got the best of both worlds, IMO.

ETA: I just noticed you're pregnant. When the new little one comes, he may decide on his own that he wants to stay in his own (peaceful) bed. Or maybe sleeping in your room, but on a pallet on the floor. I understand your concern that two babies in the bed sounds like alot, but you don't want your older dc to feel "ousted" by the new babe. FWIW, I'm having that worry too.

#6 ·
Sounds exactly like us. As soon as N was able to get out of his crib he slept with us for about a year. We recently put a toddler bed in our room and now he sleeps in the "little boy bed"

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by oetien View Post
In our family, we don't plan to put them in a big boy/girl bed until they can ask for it themselves. If they're not ready, they're not ready. I don't see any problem with co-sleeping if all of you sleep well.

Us too. Dd will sleep in her own bed when she asks to.

-Angela

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ceay05 View Post
Sorry for the rant, I am just aggravated.
This doesn't sound to me like a mom who really enjoys co-sleeping.

FWIW, I never really *chose* to co-sleep either, but that is just how it ended up with all 3, with the all-night buffet going on.

Are you still nursing ds? If not, and he was sleeping in his own crib all night before he started climbing out of it, then I would be working on getting him to sleep in his own space before the baby comes.

Unless you like the idea of trying to sleep with a newborn AND a toddler...

I agree that you do not want him to feel displaced by the new baby.

What kind of mattress is his "big boy bed"? Is it possible that your dh can go in and lay with him until he goes back to sleep, or dh finish out the night in there? Our 2.5 year old has a twin mattress on the floor with a wall on one side and a rail on the other... we don't ever need to, but if we did, one of us could easily sleep with him comfortably without anyone falling out.

Best of luck with whatever you decide... and don't feel bad if you don't want him co-sleeping. It's just not everyone's cup of tea.

#9 ·
I think the key is like you said...everyone is sleeping well! I'll take that over not sleeping well! We have a king and a queen pushed up next to each other. Dh, myself, dd an ds all sleep together (they are next to each other on the queen and us on the king so they are used to sleeping together if they want to do so in their own room later). Baby will be joining us as well! We put them in their own room w/the queen a few weeks ago and none of us were sleeping as well, so dh declared he was putting it back the way it was so he could sleep!

#10 ·
Honestly, I never have liked co-sleeping. I have always been a horrible, light sleeper. Although, since pregnant, I sleep pretty good. Even with ds in there. He is not nursing or anything, I think he just likes to be between us.

He has been in his crib since around 4-6 weeks old. I tried co-sleeping and a co-sleeper. That didn't work. When we moved him to his crib, he started sleeping wonderful. Has been ever since. So this is all very new.

I also do not plan on co-sleeping with the new baby beyond 4-6 weeks either. Unless of course I fall asleep while nursing.
Ds was never much of a 'night eater.'

But, ds does take naps in his bed and does fall asleep to start with in his own bed. He usually comes in our room between 11pm-12am. So dh and I do get our alone time.

Thanks for the replies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.