How much infant Motrin do you give your toddler during teething? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 09-21-2007, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think every child is different and am always bemused by those who adamantly refuse to give pain meds to their babies and think those of us who do on occasion are doing the wrong thing. I have a highly sensitive/high needs/spirited child who has always been a horrible sleeper. When she is in pain from illness or teething, she can go DAYS without any sleep at all, which is not good for her and is probably even worse for mom and dad, especially when we are all sick.

When in high teething state, she can and will scream for hours at night. Hyland's tablets and camelia drops won't help at that point, but work well during the day usually. 1.875 ml of infant's Motrin administered an hour before bedtime when I know she is at this point will allow everyone in the house to get our usual sleep (meaning she only wakes up 3-4 times, instead of staying up all night screaming).

I have friends whose children didn't even whimper while teething, ever - so every child has a different level of pain tolerance and sensitivity. High needs children will usually have little to no tolerance for any physical discomfort.
#32 of 35 Old 09-21-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly View Post
I think every child is different and am always bemused by those who adamantly refuse to give pain meds to their babies and think those of us who do on occasion are doing the wrong thing. I have a highly sensitive/high needs/spirited child who has always been a horrible sleeper. When she is in pain from illness or teething, she can go DAYS without any sleep at all, which is not good for her and is probably even worse for mom and dad, especially when we are all sick.

When in high teething state, she can and will scream for hours at night. Hyland's tablets and camelia drops won't help at that point, but work well during the day usually. 1.875 ml of infant's Motrin administered an hour before bedtime when I know she is at this point will allow everyone in the house to get our usual sleep (meaning she only wakes up 3-4 times, instead of staying up all night screaming).

I have friends whose children didn't even whimper while teething, ever - so every child has a different level of pain tolerance and sensitivity. High needs children will usually have little to no tolerance for any physical discomfort.
No, I think that's completely fair. If dd was up all night screaming from teething, I might try a conventional medicine (though I would try Hyland's or other homeopathics first). She's always been a really easy teether. She just got 2 molars, and the only "problem" we had was that she slept a little less (skipped a few naps and pushed her bedtime back), but was otherwise a pretty happy camper. I really feel for babies and mamas for whom teething is a nightmare.
#33 of 35 Old 09-21-2007, 02:36 PM

My third baby was a horrible teether. And yes, I've used Motrin or Tylenol. I always try homeopathic first, but when MY sleep is being comprised, I will use Tylenol. I can't afford to be tired during the day.

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#34 of 35 Old 09-21-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnee View Post
My third baby was a horrible teether. And yes, I've used Motrin or Tylenol. I always try homeopathic first, but when MY sleep is being comprised, I will use Tylenol. I can't afford to be tired during the day.
:

My son was fine and did not need anything but Hyland's until his canines came in...what a NIGHTMARE! Now his two year molars are coming in and it's even WORSE. I am a single mama who works F/T (w/DS in tow) so sleep is very important to both of us!
#35 of 35 Old 09-21-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly View Post

I have to agree. Also with the pp who said her mom was not going to have more children because of teething... ME TOO!! My first is very high-needs, very sensitive, and I thought teething was going to be the death of us. I have never understood people who said, "oh, yes, the teeth just came through! No problem!"

Tylenol can cause liver toxicity at surprisingly low doses (12 grams/24 hours for an adult) and people have died - that is why they are required to have the black box warning. Motrin (and Advil - both ibuprofen) are hard on the stomach, and shouldn't be given on and empty stomach if you can help it. High doses are most likely to cause stomach irritation, but you aren't likely to die, like Tylenol. If you are ever unsure about any medication question ask your pharmacist. S/he knows far more about medication than any doctor.

I give motrin, usually at bedtime so she can fall asleep, but with molars, she will not nap with out it sometimes. It truly is something a mom has to watch her child and decide based on her child's needs.

~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page