Typical daily diet for toddler/1 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-22-2003, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. DD will be 1 on 8/9. Our goal is to have her off commercial baby food by that date (I make her food when possible - following the Super Baby Foods book as a guide). She's eating finger food & regular food (turkey, yogurt, cereal bars, Cheerios, diced apple, cheese, steamed carrots, bananas, strawberries, etc.).

For those of you who have children no longer eating babyfood, what is a typical day's menu for DD/DS (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks). I want to make sure I give her the correct portion size & # of servings out of each food group that she needs each day. Her 1 year check up is on 8/14, so I can ask the ped. then, but I thought I'd ask for your opinion too. Thanks.

Julie
#2 of 4 Old 07-22-2003, 01:30 PM

I don't focus on portion size, or menu, really. I tried to offer a variety of whole foods, presented in small quantities (she tended to eat more and play with it less when only given 2-3 pieces at a time) and allow her to eat to hunger. I found the super baby food book quantities seemed awfully large...and the nutrition advice did not take extended breastfeeding into consideration. In fact dd never had much babyfood or puree. Even at 6 months she preferred soft finger foods...and by 1 yr we were doing 3 meals/day plus snacks in additon to very frequent bf. Children vary so much in size and appetite, plus the presence of bm or formula, that getting preset ideas of quantity I think can be a mistake.

teching how to eat to hunger, and introducing a wide variety of tastes and textures was the most important mission at that age for me.
#3 of 4 Old 07-22-2003, 02:24 PM

Hi. My ds has always been a good eater and was off of babyfood and on all table foods at about 10mos. He was also on whole milk after about 14mos. so that might be different for you if you are bfing, but here is what a typical day has been like for him since about that time.

AM– Wake up, aprox. 4-6oz. of whole milk or a smoothie from sippy cup
Then: Breakfast - usually toast or adult cereal some fruit of some kind and whole milk from cup.
mid-am – Snack: usually either fruit and whole milk, or crackers and diluted juice from sippy cup.
Lunch: He usually has a few tbls. Cut up veggies, and the same amt. of fruits, also usually some meat of some kind, and a piece of bread. Also, sometimes some yogurt or cheese also milk from sippy cup.
mid-afternoon – Snack: similar to am snack, except usually w/ water or diluted juice.
Dinner: whatever we are eating
Evening: Sometimes he wants a nighttime snack, sometimes not. If he has one it is usually some crackers, fruit, or yogurt, and milk, water, or a smoothie in his sippy cup.

Check out these links, as well as the one in my sig. for more info. about feeding your toddler.

http://www.cheerios.com/fff/samplemenuplan.asp
http://city.ottawa.on.ca/city_servic...to4_a_en.shtml
http://ctct.essortment.com/toddlersnutri_rzck.htm
http://www.lambtonhealth.on.ca/child/foodguide.asp
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002448.htm

hth!

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.
#4 of 4 Old 07-22-2003, 03:50 PM

I'm going to slide this over to the toddler forum where the moms who are a few months ahead of you might be able to offer guidance.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page