May "06 mamas, week of 9/23/07 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 114 Old 09-26-2007, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a quick post, I'll catch up later.... Beth's meds seem to be helping the reflux problems, but she (like Annie was) is still pretty high needs & can't really be set down... at her checkup a week ago, she had gained over 4 oz in just 5 days I feel bad though, she was a little grubby in the armpits at the Dr's office, so I gave her a bath when we got home, & today when I went to bathe her there was a crease in her right armpit that was all red & sticky Did I not get all the soap out? Rub too hard? I just clean neck, face, hands & bottom between baths, & she tends to not want to raise her arms to wipe there anyhow, but I don't know how I missed it coming on. I made sure it was clean & put Burts Bees on it, I figure it's a rashy thing. Anyone have this sort of thing before?
Annie's getting really good at moving around outside - not exactly running yet, but she can walk really fast! She loves sticks, & keeps dropping one to exchange for a better one. Talking - she's started adding a bunch more words all of a sudden, but doesn't do "yes" or "no" yet; mama, dada, Pip (our house dog), arf, baa, quack, neigh, cluck, out, off, baby, Elmo (!), hi, bye bye, read, hat, ball, car, bus, hop, that, bath, eye, ear - she usually calls animals by their sound, rather than name. How is everyone doing with spoon usage? Annie likes to self feed chunky stuff, can drink out of a cup (w/spillage) or a straw sippy, but I've been spooning liquidy stuff into her, both for speed & spillage reasons (she opens her mouth until she's done) - I want the food to end up in her, not on her & her surroundings, & quickly, so I can rescue the screaming baby. Annie will play w/a spoon, pounding it on her tray & dropping it on the floor. She wants to eat stuff w/her hands, though, even if a spoon is there (she's actually a pretty neat eater, for a toddler); how do you encourage spoon use?

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 12:24 AM

Wyatt teats really well with a fork and spoon-until they get boring and he chucks them at me and starts using his hands again.

maryliza~~I am so sorry things are so hard with the ILS--no words of wisdom just sympathy.

I am braindead-I just took my accoutning test-which I evidentally totally suck at. glad its not my major.

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#63 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 01:19 AM

Hi mamas,

Glad to hear you got away Marylizah! The IL's are almost done with their visit right? Big to you, I feel so badly about what's going on with them.

Umm, not much time for personals, Selah'll be out of her bath soon, so I'll try to answer the questions going around.

Seth says (and I'm assuming Selah will when she decides to talk more) grandpa for 4 of his grandpa's and he calls my dad papa, and then all 7 grandmas are grandma ____, though he's been calling my mom abuelita off and on because she'd said something about it being cute when they were together and heard another little boy call his grandma that.

Selah says probably around 20-25 things with regularity, but most are unrecognizable to anyone who isn't around her all the time. Seth is Zet!, really high pitched, or budder, and she says mama for me, papa for my dad (as soon as we get off their freeway exit she starts saying papa) a lot of eh! for yes and for a myriad of other things, she also says da for yes, and she has a way of saying daddy too but I can't remember right now.

Seth watches around 1 movie a day, sometimes 2, but we don't have cable so everything is a dvd or vhs tape. Today was a double feature of most of Old Yeller, and then it's sequel Savage Sam. Selah's not too interested in tv, occassionally if she's passing by and sees an animal she'll block the tv, but she likes turning it off and on more than anything else.

be back tomorrow, baths are done!
#64 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 01:35 AM

We have a tool/utensil lover in our midst. DD now will pick up a fork or spoon before she will eat with her hands. If it's something that isn't easy to get on the utensil, she'll pick it up with her hands, put it on the fork/spoon and THEN put it in her mouth.

As for TV, she watches none. Actually I'm surprised to hear that names like Elmo and Dora are in the lists of words the munchkins know. I never would have guessed that they'd pick up that sort of stuff yet, when there are so many other real things that are always so new and exciting to them (trees out the window, the garbage trucks, animals, etc).

I'm really surprised that more people I know don't use signs with babies. It sure makes life a ton easier. DD is very much a sign baby - she knows what's going on, knows what we're saying, knows/says names for things, but doesn't love to talk, IYKWIM. She'll do a series of signs (like "more" to "eat", or "help" with "shoes"), before she'll say the words. If we hadn't done signs I think we'd have tons more meltdowns than we do since that seems to be a very efficient way for her to learn and communicate.

Gotta run, mamas... I'm reading along, just busy.

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#65 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 01:49 AM

Re signing: Just when Clara was getting to where she was beginning to sign, she decided that she was verbally communicating with us, so she wouldn't sign! The only problem was that we couldn't understand her baby language! I hate elmo, and was desprately trying to get her to not know who he was, and somehow (osmosis? an airborne pathogen? psychic link?...) she started identifying him in stores and saying ELMO! ???!!!!! Unfortunatly, we do let her watch a bit too much TV with heavy emphasis on Dora. I don't really want to justify it, except it is the only way I can study sometimes is to distract her with TV. I'm hoping to do a much better job with decreased/no TV with the next one. Clara does love outside, it makes me sad that the days will soon be so short and cold. I hate winter! Well I better quit procrastinating and go to bed so I can get this test done! I fell like this stress will never go away! I sure hope I can get back to normal soon.

Mama to Clara 5/2/06, & Anna 11/4/08 and wife to Dan 6/8/02
#66 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS isn't sleeping for the second time in a week . So in 3 hours I'll have been up for 24 :yawning: . Um, brain is mush. Want to respond to you though Marylizah. I don't think this is what you necessarily want to hear 'cause these aren't words of wisdom on how to deal per se that I think you're looking for but seriously I would NOT be having their bull . I would absolutely tell them to take their crap elsewhere. The health, mental, emotional and otherwise, of my family comes FIRST. Their presence is obviously not conducive to a positive environment for you and Geo will pick up on that energy. Honestly, I'd be straight up with them. This is MY house. And if there's something that you (ILs) can't deal with, oh well, deal anyway or find some other place to go . Life is too farking short for people's petty crap and I refuse to let energy suckers and negativity invade my space like that on a daily basis. I won't have it around me or my family, period. Your ILs need to respect you, your family and your space, end of story.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#67 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
t1h

forgot to give you some too mama. Sounds like you could you many .

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#68 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxMominCT View Post
I hate elmo, and was desprately trying to get her to not know who he was, and somehow (osmosis? an airborne pathogen? psychic link?...) she started identifying him in stores and saying ELMO! ???!!!!!
Yeah, Orion likes Barney. *gag* He will turn the tv on when we go downstairs in the morning and he won't let me turn it off! Usually I have to unplug it. The reason I quoted you on the elmo thing was b/c I was trying to get him to watch Elmo's World but he has NO interest in it. Probably a good thing. He's entirely too addicted to Barney. I didn't mention it b4 cause I was too embarassed, SS sounds better lol. Plus he is always changing the channel to the religious programming (local station) which I never watch. Then I just unplug the TV and a fit ensues, but whatever. I don't need to be watching That 70s Show reruns myself, so... Yeah.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#69 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 11:44 AM

Shabazin, I wanted to respond to your question about redness in the armfolds. We had this problem when Geo was a baby. I felt terrible when I realized what was going on! In our case it was because we hadn't dried the skin folds properly. Afterwards we were extremely vigilant about drying and we put Weleda diaper cream on the redness until it disappeared.

Thanks for all the support, everyone. I'm taking it one hour at a time.
#70 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooMama View Post
As for TV, she watches none. Actually I'm surprised to hear that names like Elmo and Dora are in the lists of words the munchkins know. I never would have guessed that they'd pick up that sort of stuff yet, when there are so many other real things that are always so new and exciting to them (trees out the window, the garbage trucks, animals, etc).
I was thinking the same thing. Phoebe has never watched TV intentionally. She's seen it on at the ILs', but we don't have a TV set up in our house. This month we had a family movie night outside (LCD projector on a sheet tacked to the side of the house) and she saw some Wallace and Gromit shorts and old Muppet Shows, but she wasn't really watching them. She has never seen any Elmo or Dora and I'd like to keep it that way.

Here are a couple of funny bits on Elmo:
http://www.sweet-juniper.com/2006/07...archetype.html
http://www.sweet-juniper.com/2006/08...are-weird.html
#71 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 11:49 AM

ok this will make all of you tv guilty mamas feel better-ds loves baby einstien. I never owned any of these until my sisterbought me the whole vhs boxed set off ebay. I was using them in the van exclusively until we started watching the animals one and it sings old macdonald-which he started singing. SO now he will start singing and point to the tv for me to put the video in. Of course I must also watch and sing along identifying the animals for him so it is interactive but still-I am so embarassed to have these tapes. Whne I got them it was for long trips in the van because he would get really antsy. I must admit to I have used it as a crutch while trying to get caught up on my classes. Please don't tell anyone as I might end up banned from mdc! LOL! :

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#72 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnutter View Post
ok this will make all of you tv guilty mamas feel better-ds loves baby einstien. I never owned any of these until my sisterbought me the whole vhs boxed set off ebay. I was using them in the van exclusively until we started watching the animals one and it sings old macdonald-which he started singing. SO now he will start singing and point to the tv for me to put the video in. Of course I must also watch and sing along identifying the animals for him so it is interactive but still-I am so embarassed to have these tapes. Whne I got them it was for long trips in the van because he would get really antsy. I must admit to I have used it as a crutch while trying to get caught up on my classes. Please don't tell anyone as I might end up banned from mdc! LOL! :
I can beat that, I actually bought Clara all the DVD's off ebay! : I was so desparate to get some time with the baby off of me! (I couldn't wear her at that time because of the c/s, I really couldn't hold her and walk any kind of distance for 6-8months.) She would watch them on the floor or in the swing, then I could take a shower or do some dishes. (she'd be within 5 feet of me or so) She still likes them, but DH lets her watch noggin too much. We need to get rid of cable again. *sigh* maybe when I'm done with school!

Ladies, I think I am totally going to have a complete nervous breakdown at any moment. DH is frustrated, making me frustrated and guilty feeling on top of everything else. I don't know what to do. To top it off Clara is going through major major mama separation anxiety and not sleeping as well as she used to. HELP! Any suggestions for relaxing for a person who inherently doesn't know how/can't do it?

Mama to Clara 5/2/06, & Anna 11/4/08 and wife to Dan 6/8/02
#73 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas. This thread has gotten away from me! I am glad to see everyone posting so much though. Let's see if I have time to get through a few personals -

Shahbazin, I remember having a similar armpit thing with one of my babies. That area can easily get funky & rashes bc of the skin folds & moisture. To this day LO still sometimes gets the red crease thingy. I try to wash & dry gently under there w/each bath and if she gets the creases I do a little diaper ointment & it clears right up.

MaryLizah, I am so sory for all that you are going through, and have gone through, w/the in laws. I would be completely angry too if I were in your shoes. One thing that may help to release some of the anger is after they leave from this visit to sit down and write MIL a letter, that you will not actually send, and just let it all out. Don't hold back. List all the things she did & how they made you feel. Just totally vent until you have expressed all that you care to. Once you have let all this out, you could do some kind of ceremony to let it go - tear it into a million pieces, burn it, flush it down the toilet - whatever seems most symbolic to you. Whatever you do, I hope you find some peace soon.

And onto the current discussions:

TV - my LO has no interest at all, for which I am glad. I do allow the older kids to watch some, so she is exposed to it, but could really care less. And Alaskaberry, my LO loves Barney too! Not the show, but she has a singing Barney doll (thanks grandmother!) that has become her lovey. When she is fussy we sing the songs to her & she signs more at the end of each one. Whoever invented Barney knew how to appeal to the little ones!

Communication - I swear Lo understands everything we say. She answers yes & no questions by nodding or shaking her head. Like: "Are you ready for night-nights?" "Do you want to have lunch now?" "Do you want to play with the kids?" She can say mama, dada, her 3 year old sister's name, night-night, bye, knock-knock, truck, duck. Yesterday she said "clicker" once, but hasn't said it again. She signs more, eat, and all done. She is very good at making her wishes known, either verbally or non-verbally. Sometimes I can just see the wheels turning when I ask her something & she is figuring out how to answer.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#74 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Kathryn, we coss-posted. I am so sorry you are going through such a tough time. You certainly have so much on your plate right now, I can see where you'd be overwhelmed. And I am sure the stress w/dh just compounds it all. I wish I had a magic solution for you. Are there any friends or family who can help out some while you are focusing on school? Would dh be willing to sit down & have a heart to heart w/you to develop a new plan of action - trying to look at what you both want right now & how you can make it happen together? Does your school offer any support services for parents in the nursing program - like childcare, support groups, or the like? You have worked so hard to get where you are. Hang in there mama. I am sure you can find a way to balance things out. If you are really feeling like you might have a breakdown, definately get some help. You can't take care of everyone else if you aren't ok yourself. Big hugs mama.

#75 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 03:38 PM

On the TV note It honestly is not the worst thing you could do to your child. Seriously, unless you're sitting your children in front of the TV for 10 hours a day, why should there be guilt with it??? We don't watch alot of TV here, but when Rachel was younger, she did watch alot, until I nipped it in the bud. But, I have no guilt that Emma and the older daycare kids are currently watching "Land Before Time". I interact with all the kids, ALL DAY LONG. I am entitled to get at least an hour break while the little ones sleep!!! Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Words-wise, Alayna is really popping the words out. She actually called me by my first name yesterday.: While saying, hee you go... Ilove when she says her sisters names, it's just precious.

I'll try and catch up later!!!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#76 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 03:52 PM

kathryn I know I have been very frustrated with my dh since being home from the hospital-is like "hey your home now get up and do what you do" I am so far behind on everything school, kids, sleep, plus I am just depressed about all of the up and coming hospital bills.

does anyones lo still like to be worn? wyatt loves it-I have a ring sling and a mei tai. neither are really great for toddler carrying. I am really wanting to get a toddler hawk but the price--well you know-they are high. I thought about trying to sew something myself with my sling fabric-I mad my ring sling and I love the sushi fabric I used. I just am not sure where to begin.

#77 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:

does anyones lo still like to be worn?
Orion does. I have a homemade mei-tei and have finally mastered the back carry. I also have a Moby but he's too heavy for it now. Usually he prefers to walk but it's so much more convenient for me not to have to chase him everywhere!

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#78 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Due you all remember KathTeach from our DDc early days? I just came across her thread that she is having a baby via C-section today. Her thread is here if you'd like to wish her well.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=758863

#79 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnee View Post
On the TV note It honestly is not the worst thing you could do to your child. Seriously, unless you're sitting your children in front of the TV for 10 hours a day, why should there be guilt with it??? We don't watch alot of TV here, but when Rachel was younger, she did watch alot, until I nipped it in the bud. But, I have no guilt that Emma and the older daycare kids are currently watching "Land Before Time". I interact with all the kids, ALL DAY LONG. I am entitled to get at least an hour break while the little ones sleep!!! Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Well, one recent study (discussed here) found clear negative effects of toddler tv. Of course, one study doesn't mean everything, but it's something to consider. For me, though, the most upsetting thing about that article is this:
Quote:
Last spring, Christakis and his colleagues found that by three months, 40% of babies are regular viewers of DVDs, videos or television; by the time they are two years old, almost 90% are spending two to three hours each day in front of a screen.
Just another reason I'm odd, I guess. I personally really dislike tv, so there are few opportunities for Phoebe to see it. Also, with there being only one of her and dh and I working outside the home a total of 25 hours a week between us, I know we have it pretty easy. When we were looking for a babysitter, if a place included tv in the rotation of things the kids did, that was a deal-breaker for us.

Anyway, enough about that. I wish I had time for personals, but I have lots of lesson planning to do. I will squeeze in a hug for Kathryn, though--I hope it gets better for you soon!
#80 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 07:28 PM

Yeah, I think that TV would be less prevalent in our home (and it's not as bad as that study - unless someone is sick it's on for a max of 90 minutes a day, and usually somewhat less) if we worked less - until recently we were working a total of about 60 hours a week or more, with no childcare other than my MIL 1 or 2 x a week for 4 hours at a time. And, my LO doesn't watch NEARLY 90 minutes a day - most of DS1's TV watching occurs after LO is asleep, and even if he's awake he's not too interested in it most of the time.

My goal is to get us to the point where we can work no more than a 40 hour work week between us and have enough money to live on - which for us, is a pretty minimal amount of money for our geographical area. But we're not there yet.

Kathryn, I know how you feel. It's really hard when you feel like you aren't doing anything you do well and you aren't getting the support and help you need. And it must be really hard for your DH for your LO to want Mama all the time when he is supposed to be her primary care giver during the day. And to be grieving on top of it. It will get better, it really will, if you keep taking it one day at a time and take as good care of YOURSELF as you can - that's the only way to get through.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#81 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 09:04 PM

Kathryn, I'm sorry you're having a tough time of it all!

gnutter- have you tried babywearer.com's website or their forums for mei tai patterns? I have a custom baby hawk that doesn't get much use anymore, for a while it was because Selah was too heavy for me, and then DH just stopped because she wants to walk everywhere. When I ordered my baby hawk I'd talked to the woman who makes them to get advice on what to get since Selah was on the bigger baby side, and she suggested the baby hawk, but I wish I'd have gotten the toddler one, I could've always rolled it up a bit!

Anyway, is anyone's LO getting really defiant? The last couple of weeks Selah's been looking at me when I tell her to do something (that she normally does) and shaking her head no, or just running in the opposite direction!
#82 of 114 Old 09-27-2007, 09:44 PM

Not much time here, but i'll try to get it all in before dd wakes up!
gnutter - C still likes to be worn at times, and when it doesn't need new tires, she *loves* riding in the stroller. : Weird girl had never been in a stroller until climbing in another mamas stroller about 2-3 months ago! Anywhoo, there is a sling sewing yahoo group, and mei tai patterns often come up. They're really simple, just remember to do angled straps (about a 45 degree angle outward) on top, and I suggest padding on the shoulders to help with the weight. Otherwise, there are some links on thebabywearer.com site to sewing one, I think in the articles section.

Mary - I hope the issues with your IL's get better. For me, I would have to at least try to talk to them about it, or it would fester until I exploded. Keeping those emotions in is really bad for your physical and emotional health, so dealing with it one way or another is really important, even if you just tell them how you feel and nothing changes.

Talking - C still uses sign a huge amount, and she signs short sentences and communicates very effectively to us. She has a number of her own words or sounds for a lot of thinkg, but the only recognizable ones are still mama & dada. Her grandparents are gramma & grampa (DH's), and Nana & Opa (mine). I have to agree with Amy (BambooMama), if we hadn't been teaching dd sign, we all would be SO much unhappier!!

Since dd isn't allowed tv, she has little or no knowledge of Dora or Elmo, which i'm pretty happy about right now. If she gets exposed to it at a playgroup or something that's fine, but she isn't seeing it at home.

Spoons - C has been playing with spoons as toys for so long, she likes to practice picking up things in them while playing (crackers, dry cereal, balls, bits of paper, cat crunchies), I say just keep them accessible & she will pick it up on her own.

Anywhoo, big hugs to the mamas that need it. It is time for dinner here, and the babe is grumbling awake (we both have colds today, and she is having a tough time trying to nurse and breathe at the same time ). Hope everyone who needs it gets a nice visit from the Sandman tonight!!

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
#83 of 114 Old 09-28-2007, 04:47 AM

Thanks again for all the support, everyone.

Max and Blue Lotus, I think you've both hit the nail on the head. I need to express, somehow, the things that are bothering me. I like the letter idea. I think I'll also try to (gently) express stuff as it happens, and not let it fester.

Things are going better than I expected, DH gave MIL a talking-to on Sunday and she's actually tried really hard to keep her mouth under control.

I've also realized that to get over what happened last year I need to forgive myself. Every time I talk to people about what happened they say stuff like "No WAY would *MY* MIL ever have gotten away with anything like that!" or variations of the above. I realized that I blame myself for not setting limits earlier and not being the mama bear I should have been. I need to accept that I was in a fragile place and that I did the best I could under the circumstances.

We only have 3.5 weeks of visit left, I can make it!!
#84 of 114 Old 09-28-2007, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylizah View Post
I've also realized that to get over what happened last year I need to forgive myself. Every time I talk to people about what happened they say stuff like "No WAY would *MY* MIL ever have gotten away with anything like that!" or variations of the above. I realized that I blame myself for not setting limits earlier and not being the mama bear I should have been. I need to accept that I was in a fragile place and that I did the best I could under the circumstances.

We only have 3.5 weeks of visit left, I can make it!!
That's pretty insightful Mary. I think you are right. Try to keep in perspective that last year you were a new, postpartum mom. Everything is harder then, never mind an overbearing MIL who negates everything you do. It is really easy for people to say that they woul never allow such behavior from their MIL, but until someone walks in your shoes they never truly know. IMO, you did an AMAZING job parenting Geo in the face of a lot of stress - look what a wonderful, smart little boy he is!

Kathryn, how are you doing? I have been thinking of you. I hope you are well mama.

Yesterday LO and I went on a field trip to a park w/dd(3)'s preschool. LO loved it! She is just happiest when she is surrounded by kids. It is so cute. At the end of the trip we went back to the preschool & the kids were playing for a few minutes. LO sat down at the little table w/them and drew her first picture! I had never given her crayons before and she fugured it right out.

We go back to the chiro today. LO is making a lot of progress w/crawling & standing. I am so relieved. I try not to dwell on it, but a lot of times I wonder if the meds I took for preterm labor have anything to do with her delays. I know there is certainly nothing I can do about it now, and perhaps it was necessary in the long run (if she were born that early, she would likely have even more significant issues) but given the fact that she was actually born past her due date, after I had the stopped the meds weeks earlier, I do wonder if it was senseless.

And along those lines, I just realized that including my pregnancy, I have been dealing w/my prolapse & bladder issues for two years!! I am so ready to be done w/this. Sometimes it really wears me down. When my chiro was talking to me about it at my last apt, I just started crying. I felt like such an idiot. I just want to be well again, but it looks like this is about as good as it is going to get without surgery.

OK, whining over. Thanks for listening. I am still trying to work this all out and sharing w/you mama friends really does help. I don't talk about it much IRL - it's not like I can say to ppeople "Hey, wanna hear about my uterus falling out of my vagina?" Not the most comfortable conversation.

Have great days all!

#85 of 114 Old 09-28-2007, 10:50 AM

Max~~hugs to you mama--and you can tell us all about your uterus anytime you wnat. I have a feeling your friends here are the few people you will find who find those conversations completely fine.

I really just want to tell everyone here how great they are--since being on here everyone has had so many ups and downs-life gets so hard sometimes and sometimes its so great. I just feel so glad I can come here and share things with like minded women who don't say things that pi$$ me off. Losing my ability to nurse was treated like no big deal by everyone else but I knew I could come here and everyone would understand how sad it was. We all understand why Max doesn't want surgery-we all understand this unique point of view we have in our little shared community. I just want to say thank you so much, really really, thank you.

#86 of 114 Old 09-28-2007, 11:13 AM

max...on the one hand, I want to say don't beat yourself up! OTOH, I really understand where you're coming from. I can't tell you how many times I've thought "What IF I didn't eat peanuts when I was pregnant with dd?" "What if I took the d@mn sleeping pill the midwife gave me right after she was born and didn't go over 3 days w/ literally zero sleep? Would it have helped with the depression and all the results of that depression?" There's no way to know. While I wish I had done some things differently, there's no guarantee that things would have turned out differently. It's really hard to come to peace with your "mistakes", though, even if they're only mistakes in your own mind.

Grandparents: my parents are Grandma and Poppy; dh's parents are Grandpa and Gran. Nothing too exciting, I'm afraid!

Was there something about spoons? Dd has been using one since about 12 months. I actually think it's pretty funny, since we never spoon-fed her (we got a lot of that "But how will she ever learn to use a spoon!?!" stuff). Occasionally she'll let you spoon a bite of oatmeal or something into her mouth, but usually she grabs the spoon and wants to do it herself. She's not 100% coordinated, though. It's very fun to give her a spoon and a bowl of applesauce and watch the fun!

ecoteat...I agree with you completely on the TV issue. But, then, like you, I'm in a position where it's *relatively* easy not to use TV to "watch" dd (well, given that we don't get TV service, I guess it's very easy!). I don't what it would be like if I had 3 or 4 kids running around! OTOH, I have disturbing memories of my sister parking her then 10-month-ds in his high chair in front of Baby Einstein--his mouth was hanging open and he was staring like he was in a coma (and this was in a house full of relatives, any of whom would have been delighted to play w/ him). It really freaked me out. I think people on MDC are pretty mindful about how they use television, though.
#87 of 114 Old 09-28-2007, 01:18 PM

I have to go make breakfast, but to Mary, max & gnutter, and I know what you mean about the great support we have here from all our other may mamas, I completely agree.

I agree with you too Amada about "mistakes" I have a lot of guilt about certain things that I've done or not done and I have a hard time letting go, but I need to.

I slept around 10 hours the night before last and so last night sucked! I'm going on 3 hours of sleep today- it's going to be a long day!
#88 of 114 Old 09-28-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I really just want to tell everyone here how great they are--since being on here everyone has had so many ups and downs-life gets so hard sometimes and sometimes its so great. I just feel so glad I can come here and share things with like minded women who don't say things that pi$$ me off. Losing my ability to nurse was treated like no big deal by everyone else but I knew I could come here and everyone would understand how sad it was. We all understand why Max doesn't want surgery-we all understand this unique point of view we have in our little shared community. I just want to say thank you so much, really really, thank you.
Ah, you're making me all teary. And you are so right. This is a great group of mamas here.
#89 of 114 Old 09-28-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
Well, one recent study (discussed here) found clear negative effects of toddler tv. Of course, one study doesn't mean everything, but it's something to consider. For me, though, the most upsetting thing about that article is this:

Just another reason I'm odd, I guess. I personally really dislike tv, so there are few opportunities for Phoebe to see it. Also, with there being only one of her and dh and I working outside the home a total of 25 hours a week between us, I know we have it pretty easy. When we were looking for a babysitter, if a place included tv in the rotation of things the kids did, that was a deal-breaker for us.

Anyway, enough about that. I wish I had time for personals, but I have lots of lesson planning to do. I will squeeze in a hug for Kathryn, though--I hope it gets better for you soon!

Just wanted to add, that I don't mean kids under the age of two. I'm pretty strict about Alayna ( and was with the other two) not watching any TV. Which she doesn't. I just don't think that older kids watching a program or two is life threatening, ya know? It all depends on the situation. Even with having alot of kids here during the day, they will watch about an hour to an hour and a half of TV a day. That's during quiet time, when the little ones are sleeping. I have alot of activities to keep them busy. But, somedays, it's very easy to turn the TV and have some peace and quiet too.:

gnutter- You are sooo right on. We have an AWESOME group of ladies here! For me it's especially great, because I have noone around me who thinks the way I do.

Tonight I go see SheDaisy!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sooo excited! Finally a night out for mama!! Have a great weekend!!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#90 of 114 Old 09-28-2007, 04:24 PM

hi everyone im still here. I tried to get caught up and only got to about page 3 but I wanted to post to update everyone on my life. I turned 28 on wednesday, it wasn't a very good birthday as we found out on Tuesday that my husbands mom has cancer. She was admitted to the hospital Tuesday and may go home on monday. The short version is that there are 2 tumors in her lungs, one has a lession which has broken off and launched itself in her brain, causing slurred speech and severe headaches. The dr's say 6 months to 1 year. and my husband is a wreck, he and his mom have always been very close. He's leaving next week to fly up to Oregon for a couple weeks to spend some time with her.

alright well im off to go lay down as dd is sick w/ a fever (so relaxing) and ds is napping.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page