Recommendations for 2 yo bib, NOT MIC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-28-2007, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been using a Sesame Street vinyl smock from The First Years. It ties in the back, has arm holes, a crumb catcher, and is big enough to cover the entire front of my DS. I've been buying them at Kohls, but they're not currently carrying them. Not sure why - maybe due to lead concerns since its MIC? So I need to find something else to keep the clothes of my very messy two year old clean while eating. Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 09-28-2007, 03:02 PM

Is there a reason why you don't want to use a cloth bib? We avoid vinyl because of the off-gassing, plus our toddler likes to chew on her bibs sometimes.

Maybe try looking into some cloth bibs? I'm sure some of ours weren't made in China, though I'm not as worried about pure cloth from there as anything with vinyl, plastic, or paint.

ETA: I know some places have banned vinyl bibs because they're made with PVC, which is a carcinogen. Maybe that's why you're not able to find those particular ones anymore?

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#3 of 17 Old 09-28-2007, 03:09 PM

I've never used a bib. DS just makes a mess with or without one...but I have always thought these were cool.

It doesn't say *where* they are made, but being a smaller family type business I'd imagine it's not China

http://www.bbib-baby.com/bbib.html
#4 of 17 Old 09-28-2007, 03:20 PM

DS is 18 mos. but bigger than lots of 2 yos, and we love the Bumkins SuperSized Superbib. They are PVC free and made in Phoenix, AZ. They also have smocks and aprons, which you could use for crafts and eating. Here's the site:

http://www.bumkins.com/shop/pc/viewC...?idCategory=49
#5 of 17 Old 09-28-2007, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Eben's Mommy - How well do the Bumkins Superbib's hold up? The life expectancy of the vinyl bibs I have been using is about 8 weeks before they start to crack and I have to toss them. Do the Bumpkins Bibs crack and tear after a few months? For $17 / bib, hopefully not! They look like they'd work really well.

Bbibb's look functional and cute as well.

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming!!!
#6 of 17 Old 09-28-2007, 03:36 PM

How about kids art smocks?

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#7 of 17 Old 09-28-2007, 03:44 PM

We use baby bjorn apron bibs.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#8 of 17 Old 09-28-2007, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

How well do the Baby Bjorn smocks hold up? Where do you purchase them from? Anyone know where Bjorn products are manufactured?
#9 of 17 Old 09-28-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmomosedc View Post
Eben's Mommy - How well do the Bumkins Superbib's hold up? The life expectancy of the vinyl bibs I have been using is about 8 weeks before they start to crack and I have to toss them. Do the Bumpkins Bibs crack and tear after a few months? For $17 / bib, hopefully not! They look like they'd work really well.
We've had ours for 4 or 5 months and use it several times a day. It's not vinyl--more of a waterproof nylon sort of thing--soft, pliable, actual fabric, but waterproof too. I wash it in the washer on delicate with Charlie's Soap 2-3x per week and hang it to dry. It's held up really well--looks and performs like new.

We had the Kushies bibs before and they did exactly what you said--cracked, peeled, got crunchy.

I thought $17 for a bib was ridiculous, too, but you only need one and it fits a toddler well. IMO, it's been well worth the $. HTH!
#10 of 17 Old 09-28-2007, 07:50 PM

I make big toddler bibs for my guys that have always worked great.
: I make them with lots of cool prints too, cotton with fleece backing and a large snap that's hard for kids to just yank off when they please.
I keep a stash of about a dozen handy and throw them in the wash pile at the end of the day.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#11 of 17 Old 09-28-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
I make big toddler bibs for my guys that have always worked great.
: I make them with lots of cool prints too, cotton with fleece backing and a large snap that's hard for kids to just yank off when they please.
I keep a stash of about a dozen handy and throw them in the wash pile at the end of the day.
I was also going to suggest trying to make your own. It would be really ugly, but you could take an old adult or kids button up shirt, cut the sleeves shorter, and flip up the bottom and sew it into a pocket. It would be cheap and easy, but not very cute . Or, as someone else suggested, a children's art smock would work well.

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

#12 of 17 Old 09-28-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben'sMama View Post
We've had ours for 4 or 5 months and use it several times a day. It's not vinyl--more of a waterproof nylon sort of thing--soft, pliable, actual fabric, but waterproof too. !
I agree. We use the Bumkins too. They last forever and you only really need one. They wipe up easily too. Well worth the money spent.
#13 of 17 Old 09-28-2007, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

I just ordered a Bumkins art smock. I found a store on ebay selling it for a better price than the Bumkins website. I may make some bibs too. I have a sewing machine and a serger set up and waiting for me. I just haven't had time for any new projects lately.
Thanks everyone!
#14 of 17 Old 09-29-2007, 02:23 AM

Worth it for the Super sized super bib? Or just the super bib?
:
Ive had problems with our bibs smelling to high heaven

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#15 of 17 Old 09-29-2007, 02:40 AM

We use the Bumkins Junior Bib and LOVE it. I have two, so keep one in the diaper bag for eating away from home. It's the perfect size for my 18month old. I usually just wipe it down (maybe spray it with some bac-out) and hang it to dry. I only wash 1x a week (or every other week, even - just when it gets nasty or I don't clean it right away). My niece uses vinyl backed cloth bibs, so she has to use a new one for every meal. I can't imagine adding to my wash that much!

Enudely - I've never had problems with it stinking, I wonder it that's the vinyl you are smelling.
#16 of 17 Old 09-29-2007, 02:54 AM

We've never used a bib, we give DS a napkin for his lap, and if we give him messy/staining food, we just have him take his shirt off.
#17 of 17 Old 07-18-2014, 02:47 AM

I never use cloth bib or vinyl bib for mealtimes. For a 2 year old baby, I think you need new baby bibs for her. Try the silicone one, I heard they are really great. I use them and so far they are doing good.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page