Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2007, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
Gunter I will be in Port Angeles on Saturday (between 12 and 2!) - could you be there then possibly? Otherwise we will be home the rest of the weekend

Fern moved to the interior but I think she's in Van fairly regularly for midwife appts.
hey sarah,
oh, i would have loved to come out there but we're hanging in bellingham today and tomorrow, i think. do you think we'd need a car or would public transport suffice? we want to get up to whistler, too so that may happen at the beginning of the week. i am so stoked to meet you all IRL!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:17 PM

I've never done a swap here (except the illegal bead swap), only on the yahoo group. But after I double checked my TP priviledges, I spent waay too long browsing and may start swapping as my new hobby

I think I've posted here before about my non-commital to either vagina or vulva as language for Neela. I know that vagina isn't technically correct, but it's what I grew up with and my main preference. But I have a good friend with a dd the same age who is being more correct and using vulva, so somehow Neela has been exposed to both words...with some confusion. Our conversation last night after the bath.

N: What's this?
M: It's your vagina.
N: It's my vagina. Do you have a vulva?
M: (realizing her confusion) Yes, and so do you. Your vulva is this part on the outside. And your vagina is that hole there.
N: NO! I have a vagina! When I get bigger I'll have a vulva!
M: Well... you actually have a vulva now. You have had a vulva and a vagina ever since you were born and were a little baby.
N: When I get bigger I'll get a vulva!
M: ummm... How?
N: Someone will come and put a vulva on my bottom

I then become a less cool mama at this point, and start giggling. She insists some more and we drop the conversation. I asked but never did figure out who "someone" is. Maybe the puberty fairy

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 10-14-2007, 01:10 AM

up the puberty fairy!
Mel, Neela is cracking me up! No wonder you have to giggle - I'm surprised she doesn't have you just laughing out loud all day! Oh, my.....
I'm afraid the puberty fairy has visited my eldest, and trying to get this child to wear a bra is driving me crazy! Even the seamless, stretchy, not-a-bra, I keep having to send her back in her room to put one on. She has actual breast buds, and she really needs to wear one....I know I shouldn't talk about this on our toddler thread, sorry!
I need to just have some chocolate and go to sleep, actually, I've been biting heads off all across the Toddler board...

~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
Old 10-14-2007, 01:24 AM

Oh, Mel, that's priceless. Make sure you keep a record of that for when the puberty fairy really DOES hit.

We had a really exciting day today. We went on a ferry boat ride (through lots of fog!) and bought real milk, then we went to a crab festival and saw crabs in buckets, and a BIIIIG bunny (the Annie's Naturals mascot - Rowan was just in awe, SO thrilled with the bunny... I thought she'd be frightened but she went right up to it and whoever was inside the bunny outfit was fantastic because he/she somehow recognized that Rowan wasn't the huggy/touchy type and just held out its hands, which Rowan patted somewhat reverentially..) and then we took the ferry boat back home. I'm thrilled to get real milk, and Rowan actually drank it cold from her sippy cup - she's never consented to cold milk before. She was *very* tired when we got home though because she refused to even think about a nap on the ferry and it was 4 when we got back home, and she cried the whole way home from the ferry dock (fortunately only a 10 min walk.) But that aside, it was a really fun day. I'm still kind of overwhelmed with what a good traveler Rowan is. I forgot to bring ANY books or toys at all, but she entertained herself beautifully. She played a lot of pretend-type games, giving me a kiss and going to work then coming back 20 seconds later saying "I'm home!"... picking "mushrooms" and finding eggs all over the place, then slicing up or eating them... she spent a good 20 minutes happily just jumping off a chair, too. She's a lot of fun.

Ok gotta go get her ready for bed. Gunter, I'll PM you in a bit with public transit directions.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 10-14-2007, 06:59 AM

: Sarah and Rowan. Bless her. I'm never going to look at butter in the same way after meeting your daughter though, but I'm glad you got your raw milk.

Sharon, continuing the thread hijack, with my kid I'd let her do without a bra until she was ready to say "yup, I've got boobies, I want to wear a bra."

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:20 PM

Thanks, Helen - with an NT child I would (will?) probably do the same, but my DD (seems to be on the autism spectrum, we are waiting for diagnosis) is very sensitive to clothes, (actually all sensory stuff, noises, smells, etc...)anything that doesn't feel just right... And last year at this time I had people mentioning it to me, that she needed a bra, and the school secretary and I were discussing it (early development) and she said that there have been situations where she had to take a girl aside and tell her that she might want to talk to her mom about a bra, due to development, and I know that my DD would just die of embarrassment if that happened to her. I mean, she has little breasts that bounce when she moves, it really is time, she just hates the feeling of the bra itself. I found the least bra-like of bras, more just stretchy fabric, seamless, with elastic straps, and she still hates it.... I can understand, but I know how kids can be, so I really think it is best for her to wear it. Apparently her thyroid being out of whack (technical term?) affected her pituitary gland, and her prolactin was out of whack too, so she is undergoing puberty already.... Poor thing, she really doesn't need this, she has enough battles ahead of her. It is hard to watch, and hard to know what is best sometimes.
Sorry if I am scaring all you moms of just a toddler, didn't mean to bring puberty into your life prematurely!!

Old 10-15-2007, 03:55 AM

Poor lass. It sounds like she has enough to deal with without being an early developer. Big to her- and you too. I'm such a klutz, I'd forgotten your DD was so close in age to Alex.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerstar View Post
Thanks, Helen - with an NT child I would (will?) probably do the same, but my DD (seems to be on the autism spectrum, we are waiting for diagnosis) is very sensitive to clothes, (actually all sensory stuff, noises, smells, etc...)anything that doesn't feel just right... And last year at this time I had people mentioning it to me, that she needed a bra, and the school secretary and I were discussing it (early development) and she said that there have been situations where she had to take a girl aside and tell her that she might want to talk to her mom about a bra, due to development, and I know that my DD would just die of embarrassment if that happened to her. I mean, she has little breasts that bounce when she moves, it really is time, she just hates the feeling of the bra itself. I found the least bra-like of bras, more just stretchy fabric, seamless, with elastic straps, and she still hates it.... I can understand, but I know how kids can be, so I really think it is best for her to wear it. Apparently her thyroid being out of whack (technical term?) affected her pituitary gland, and her prolactin was out of whack too, so she is undergoing puberty already.... Poor thing, she really doesn't need this, she has enough battles ahead of her. It is hard to watch, and hard to know what is best sometimes.
Sorry if I am scaring all you moms of just a toddler, didn't mean to bring puberty into your life prematurely!!
Could she wear sort of a tank top/undershirt thing under clothes that would be both a little tight but stretchy (like mostly cotton with 2 or 3% spandex for some stretch)sort of hold things in and flatten them out and give a little more coverage? That used to work for me until my breasts got significantly bigger due to pregnancy/weight gain. I am sort of like that, actually, in terms of being really irritated by clothing, bras drive me crazy, if there is a tag in my clothes it will just bother me till I remove it, my feet are really sensitive to shoes, and I can't stand the feeling of a lot of fabrics against my skin. Wool makes me itch, acrylic often just gives me the willies. I usually just wear cotton, and only now wear a bra consistently because the discomfort of the embarassment of my radically uneven boobs hanging down to my knees status post-child is greater than the discomfort of a decent nursing bra.

Well, at least the puberty fairy didn't saddle her with an additional vulva!!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:49 PM

Helen - you are not a klutz! I don't expect you to remember my children's wierd ways, much less their ages, and for just about any other child, your advice would be spot on!

Kavita - : although since I no longer bathe her I can't be certain about that.... I feel sure she would let me know!
Good idea about the tanks, I will check into it, see if she might find it more comfortable.

Any more ideas on how to run a swap to include both parts of our DDC? Can we do it thru the TP and bring DiD and our yahoo moms like Erica and PicnicBear in by email?

Old 10-15-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
N: What's this?
M: It's your vagina.
N: It's my vagina. Do you have a vulva?
M: (realizing her confusion) Yes, and so do you. Your vulva is this part on the outside. And your vagina is that hole there.
N: NO! I have a vagina! When I get bigger I'll have a vulva!
M: Well... you actually have a vulva now. You have had a vulva and a vagina ever since you were born and were a little baby.
N: When I get bigger I'll get a vulva!
M: ummm... How?
N: Someone will come and put a vulva on my bottom

I then become a less cool mama at this point, and start giggling. She insists some more and we drop the conversation. I asked but never did figure out who "someone" is. Maybe the puberty fairy
OMG, this is hilarious - you should definately write this down and keep it to show her when she is older!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerstar View Post
Any more ideas on how to run a swap to include both parts of our DDC? Can we do it thru the TP and bring DiD and our yahoo moms like Erica and PicnicBear in by email?
I would think that if a swap organizer were totally awesome they could do something like this. I'd offer to organize but I never have before and I'm scared I'd screw it up :

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
Old 10-15-2007, 06:30 PM

Sara~ Your day with Rowan sounds wonderful!

Gingerstar~ I was going to suggest the same thing as Kavita. Before my pregnancy I didn't consistenly wear a bra, either. In the winter under extra layers I rarely did, and saved them for thin shirts and summertime, mostly for nipple coverage. So a tank or even a snug t-shirt might do... Good luck!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 PM

Well, Erica still has TP access, I think. If you give me until Wednesday, I can run an off-Yahoo, off-TP, off-everywhere superduper secret swap what nobody on the planet ever knows about (and get Monique to help me) It's 3 minutes to bed here, and tomorrow is going to be insane, but Wednesday will be the day of "thank God that's over." It will be done by google spreadsheet, and anyone who doesn't post a wish list will be named and shamed and flamed and hamed and anything else that rhymes. (Blame February...)
Tomorrow's schedule:
8.45 Drop boys at school (by bus.)
9.15 Midwife appointment, 35 minute journey away.
10.30 Lady from the council comes to inspect central heating.
10-1 Clean old, beloved, tired, exhausted, filthy car. Mourn her passing.
2pm Committee meeting for toddler group
3.30 Get boys.
4.30 Clean car some more.
6pm Sell car
Plus three meals in the midst of all the clutter. I can't do it :

On the bright side, Skye is potty-learnt, to the point where she started undressing herself outside school because she fancied a poo : Bless her little cotton socks. Now what do I do with all the nappies I bought, expecting to have two in nappies at once???? We had three weeks of her exploring the power of the word "wee" and then - bam- dry. It's freaky, it really is. I heard rumours that it was possible for children to get it before their second birthday, but I assumed that was on a par with the myth of four-hour-feeds and sleeping through the night.
Sharon- I SO should have known that. I always have a soft spot for Gabriel because he's the same age as Alex, Ella should be in that club too....:

Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Well, Erica still has TP access, I think. If you give me until Wednesday, I can run an off-Yahoo, off-TP, off-everywhere superduper secret swap what nobody on the planet ever knows about (and get Monique to help me) It's 3 minutes to bed here, and tomorrow is going to be insane, but Wednesday will be the day of "thank God that's over." It will be done by google spreadsheet, and anyone who doesn't post a wish list will be named and shamed and flamed and hamed and anything else that rhymes. (Blame February...)
I tried to access the google spreadsheet a couple of times, but was always booted off because of mac-type issues. I don't think there are any mac browsers that can access google spreadsheets, unless they've fixed this glitch (it was a few months ago). But I have PC access at work, so guess I could do it there

And congrats to Skye!!!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:27 PM

Drive-by posting here: If you used a doula at your hospital birth, please PM me with your e-mail address.

Puh-lease?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2007, 11:31 PM

Big hugs and wishes for a smooth day tomorrow, Helen!
I love the Superduper-Secret Google Sheet Swap! very spy v. spy.....
And congrats to your clever Skye!! (: to her undressing, ready for her poo!) First Neela, now Skye... they really are growing up fast!

And thanks, Mel!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:57 PM

Hi, mamas! MDC is urging me to post, too, and while I'm procrastinating from writing the last of my evaluations for beginning-of-year, parent-teacher-student conferences, I thought I'd say hello!

The closest we got to potty learning was today when, bare bottomed for more awareness, Woody ran up to me, leaned on my leg looking at me intently, and said, "Mama!," Then turned around to show me the poop he'd just that instant plopped out. We're getting there, slowly and messily, but getting there!

And can I brag here? My almost two year old can throw a beanbag across the room and hit a middle schooler on the head with dead aim. Let me brag on my students, too: they invariably laugh and take it in stride, and often demonstrate cat-like reflexes in ducking said heaves. One day I think I shall write a book about our adventures in multi-age education.

Thinking of y'all,

Teresa
Old 10-16-2007, 03:47 AM

Teresa. He's getting all of the perks of having older siblings and none of the disadvantages. Has anyone taught him to armpit fart yet?

Old 10-16-2007, 12:57 PM

I know not what this "google spreadsheet" thing is, but it sounds all fun.

Teresa, that's hilarious. Rowan's got a pretty good throwing arm too - she can keep the dog entertained with a ball for some time - but her real talent is hopping. Ever since she started walking she's been able to do pretty incredible two-footed hops. Now she can hop at least a metre in one go. Other moms at playgroup look at her like she's some kind of a freak when she hops across the playground outside (it's sort of sproingy rubber underfoot so she gets a bit of help).

She can count to three now and from seven to ten. Sometimes 1-3 get a bit muddled ("one three two jump!!!") but it's very cute.

So our raw milk experiment seems to be successful so far. She's pooped every day at least once and yesterday seemed much more comfortable doing it. And, in an unlooked-for benefit (which may just be random, you never know) for the last two nights she's slept like a little log.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 10-16-2007, 02:43 PM

Please go post to my poll, huh?Gah. Grrr. Irked. Throw things homicidally. Yup, it's another bad day chez chaos...

Old 10-16-2007, 03:03 PM

Helen, I'm so sorry you're having such a chaotic day again. Hang in there! Soon, it'll pass and you can make chocolate pudding again. And that is amazing about Skye being potty learnt! Hooray for her! And I clicked on your link, but it didn't work. Can you post it again?

and Hooray for Neela!

We are not even close...but that is okay...

Sarah, Rowan sounds just ADORABLE! I love imagining her hopping around. How precious. I'm glad the raw milk helped. I got some too yesterday and am hoping for some positive results in our health.

I was unusually domestic last night and made a delicious Thai soup and some apple/pear/rasberry crisp. It was so fun. I wish I had more time, motivation, and focus to be this domestic every day (as many of you are!). I am working on it. And the best part is that it was actually tasty...so often I mess it up.

Off to help my little lad! More soon.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:17 PM

Sooo...I'm sending beads out soon. :

I just got MamaFern's in the mail this last week...no clue what took so long for them to get here after she sent them. I'm meeting up with barcelona to pick hers up because I refused to allow her to mail them to me when it's been WAY too long since we've played. I'm sorry...a bit selfish on my part We are planning that meet-up and I'll go home from it and finish up the packaging up the beads and send them off!!

Many apologies for the months this has taken. What a crazy time it's been for me...never would have thought so many things would go crazy when I attempted to do something like this....but we do have some beautiful beads!!

School is going from bad to worse. It's exhausting and I'm losing my desire to even try to make a difference. I keep trying to see my son sitting in my classroom needing my love and attention...but these kids are sooo needy...and there are sooooo many of them. I just feel hammered too thin to do an adequate job loving them let alone teaching them anything...not to mention the ridiculous demands from administration...: We are researching our big move and are pretty sure we've narrowed it down to 2 communities in Colorado. We are planning on moving in June *babe will be 3 months old yikes* and at that time I am hoping a career switch if not to full time SAHM than to daycare at home instead of classroom teaching. It will depend on the finanaces.

Jacob is not nearly potty learnt...but well on his way. We have very few dirty dipes nowadays and the pee seems to be OUT OF CONTROL...he's told me twice last night he needed to pee and we got it on the potty...but then proceeded to within minutes water the carpet in various parts of the house after he *finished* on the potty. I know we will get there...but I'm running out of carpet cleaner.

Baby Leah is kicking and growing. I am almost 20 weeks half-way (ish). In 10 weeks I'll be more pregnant than I've ever been standing up if I can stay off bedrest this time. 29 weeks is when my water broke with Jacob...I'm looking forward to the misery that comes with being big and still walking around/attempting to function as a person. I'm hoping for an over-due babe this time around because preemie and the NICU was soooo horrible...I'm praying I don't have to do that again.

DH and I are doing so amazing!! I am so lucky and blessed. I just had to throw that in there...he's such a great dadi and a most wonderful husband.

Okay enough book writing...back to test writing
Old 10-16-2007, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm running the Holiday Helper this year, so if any of you have gently used items, or any WAHMs or crafty mamas have anything handmade to offer families in need, please PM me!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=771211
Old 10-17-2007, 03:49 AM

Barcelona, I'm sorry, I haven't forgotten about the recipe, honest. TBH, though, that one tends to be more the boys than me. You'll see, I'll type it after the school run.
Kaspirant. Nil carborundum desperandii, huh?
Wow, DiD. When do you SLEEP?????

Oh, my dilemma. My new midwife gave me a hard time yesterday because I refused to provide a clean-catch msu for lab analysis for silent UTIs and GBS. Literally, twenty minutes of being made to justify my decision again, and again, and again, and again, and again..... am I being unreasonable on this?

Old 10-17-2007, 07:16 AM

Hi all. Just a little insomnia post here!

The house is finally starting to come together, and I'm having more happy than depressed thoughts about it - finally. I guess my perfectionist tendencies don't make things easier though; we painted the living room (which includes a stairway to the basement, and vaulted ceilings) - which took two coats - and then realized that we didn't really love the color *and* it clashed terribly with the couch and loveseat that we just bought from some friends, so rather than give the couches back, I decided to paint the entire living room over again! I will say the I absolutely love it now, and it looks fantastic with the couches.

We finally have most of our clothes out of boxes, which is a big help! The dryer is working (yay!), and we have all of our kitchen appliances. It's starting to feel like a home. Head's up SoulJourney, Spiritmomma and Kavita: I think we're having a housewarming on November 4th, which is also Jason's birthday, so I'll be emailing y'all with details.

In other news, Brynn has been sleeping in our bed since we moved here, and I have to say that she has regressed to the miserable sleep habits of our pre-crib era. It's gotten *really* bad the past few nights, and there is really nothing to blame it on. I'm ready to try to transition her back to her own room but I know it wouldn't fly at this point. And yes, we've tried her mattress next to our bed (that's actually how we started out when we moved in to the house) and it's just gotten worse and worse over the past two weeks to the point that she will not sleep unless she's holding onto me for dear life. And she's so restless, thrashing about all night long. It's just fricking miserable. I think that all of her anxiety about moving is just manifesting in this area; she has not wanted to be separated from me for a moment lately, even if Daddy is the alternative. I just keep hoping as we get more settled in, this will pass. I have to tell you, I'm ready for some peaceful sleep. Maybe I need to try raw milk! How's Neela's sleep going, Mel?

Gunter, glad you made it back safely to the US! How is your nursing situation going?

All of you pregnant Mamas, I just love hearing about your growing belly beans. It's so exciting to get to live through all of you and NOT have the actual aches and pains associated with being pregnant. It's making me have fond memories of Brynn's first kicks, our ultrasound, etc. Speaking of which, Fern, have you had yours yet?

And I love reading about all of the amazing brilliant funny November babies. What a wonderful group of kids we've got!!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 AM

Amy. Sorry your nights are so hard at the moment.

Ladies, I opened a blog for the birthday swap: http://superdupersecretspy.blogspot.com/

As far as I know, everyone can read blogger? If you don't run a blog of your own or you want to be added as an author, lmk.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Oh, my dilemma. My new midwife gave me a hard time yesterday because I refused to provide a clean-catch msu for lab analysis for silent UTIs and GBS. Literally, twenty minutes of being made to justify my decision again, and again, and again, and again, and again..... am I being unreasonable on this?
I don't think so. . . but I didn't have any testing done at all with my MW. Now, when we took Keagan to his first Dr appt we had the doc down our backs about vaccines (specifically, our decision to not vaccinate). That whole justification thing. . . no fun at all.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
Old 10-18-2007, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Wow, DiD. When do you SLEEP?????

I sleep just fine. From 2am to 7am every night. It's great.

:

And I absolutely do not think you should be coerced into any testing you do not wish to have done. If anyone is being unreasonable, it's your midwife. Can you switch providers?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I read your poll but didn't get the chance to reply for toddlerish reasons. But you're not being unreasonable. SHE should be justifying her reasons for recommending it, giving pros/cons, options, etc. Then you get to make the decision. Informed choice and all...

Sarah, I noticed Rowan's talent for hopping when we visited. Neela can't jump yet- she tries, and does the knee bend part, but hasn't figured out how to get air. White girls can't jump, I guess.

Kaspirant~ Congrats on 20 weeks! I can't believe you're already that far along!

And Amy, sleep is okay at the moment. Most nights Neela is on her own until 3ish, then crawls in with us for varying amounts of nursing till morning. Except the nights when she's also up at midnight. And as I type I hear her awake, so I guess tonight it's midnight.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:32 AM

Wow, limiting my computer time gets me more behind than ever before!!! Thanks Helen for taking over the swap. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with the new ddc's swap that I'm supposed to be in charge of. It got moved and now a lot of members who want to participate can't because it's in the swap forum.
My news is basically pregnant brain news. I am so forgetful!!! It's amazing I remember where I live and what my name is most days! This is really throwing me for a loop.
I posted this story in the new ddc but yesterday was the first day that I was officially violated as a pregnant woman! I hate feeling like this!!!!!!!
So I got a knock at the door last night and couldn't look out the peephole because, silly me, I put my autumn dried foliage arrangement right outside it on the door (like, on a wreath holder)
. It was some man and woman asking for donations for an autistic girls football team. He did all the talking and was the type that would probably walk in the house if the baby gate wasn't on and yet he stood so close I could smell his breath (ewww). First thing he said, like immediately after I opened the door was congrats on the new baby. I should have made him feel bad by saying I wasn't pregnant but thanks for making me feel bad (just because I hate it when total strangers try to be familiar. Anyway, I felt a few bucks were in order so I gave him a five and he wished me well and I turned to close the door and it was like he shot his hand out and put his hand on my belly while saying "God bless" etc etc. It's not what he said but the fact that he touched me. I was so stunned I just couldn't say anything. I couldn't even move. What is wrong with me??? I'm usually so confrontational if anyone (stranger-wise) invades MY personal space. I teach my kids to defend their personal space too... WTH??? I feel so dirty and disgusting now for just standing there like a deer in headlights! I kept looking at the woman hoping she would say something. And he kept saying he could feel the baby move. He finally turned to leave and then started asking me about if I had my babies naturally and if it hurt and if I sweat. I stammered out some reply, I don't even remember what.
Why does pregnancy make me so dumbfounded. Any other time I would have arched my brows, put my hands on my hips, shook my head and said, don't you touch me. But no, I had to be all nice and say nothing!

On a happier note, I got Gabriel's lion costume finished last night while dh went out with a patient and her g-friend for the local beer society tasting. I'm starting Willem's today!!!

User Tag List