November 2005 toddlers falling into October - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 172 Old 10-29-2007, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
I guess it's that time of year to start the kids on all the immune-boosting stuff.
We've started taking argentyn 23 (the "professional" strength silver hydrosol) and none of the cold symptoms Willem has brought home from preschool have actually developed into anything more than a bit of nasal drainage (but not bad). We do that, omega 3's, daily vitamins and carotenoids, then echinacea if the kids are prodromal. I also have homeopathic umkca cold care, boericke & tafel homeopathic cough syrup, and occillicocinum (sp?), and olive leaf extract on hand in case we need it.
What does everyone else here use/have on hand?
#152 of 172 Old 10-29-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
Sarah I hope she likes it by the time you are taking her out to show it off. We ended up with a Tigger costume for Joseph this year. My biggest concern about costumes for him is probably about the exact opposite of most people here's. I'm worried about the thing being too hot. We found a nice light weight costume at Goodwill for $1.99 though and I knew I couldn't make one that cheap. He got to pick between Tigger and a lion and went with Tigger. He had been trying to put on his costume for a good week before I let him put it on last night. However he also plays with dress up clothes along with dd. I can't remember if she was playing with dress up clothes on her own at this age or not. At times I think dd is treating him like a doll to dress up, but he likes putting on long shirts or old dresses to twirl around in so I let it go unless he gets upset.
HE can borrow Willem's tinman costume next year... the thing is PAPER thin!!! Willem is supposed to take it to school tomorrow for the costume parade and I'm afraid that it will fall apart before he comes back home!! I used the recommended material (silver lame) but am surprised the didn't have me line it with something. He'll have to wear a fleece underneath. Hope there is room!
On Wednesday, I plan on dressing Willem up first and then Gabriel. Hopefully he'll take Willem's lead that it's dress up time. Is anyone else using face paint? Dh doesn't want us to but I think I might anyway.
#153 of 172 Old 10-29-2007, 01:58 PM

skristina--hey, that's what little brothers are for, right? Ella will just have to wait for that pleasure--in the meantime she was going after the dogs with one of her cloth bibs this morning. Although I think she was trying to use it to clean around his eyes! I totally can relate to the concern about the costume being too hot, this is the first year that I'm actually in a cold climate in many years! I do remember the heartbreak of being forced to wear an ugly winter coat under my beautiful costume, lol!

Ella is going to be Little Red Riding Hood. The reason being that when my mom was here she wanted to go clothes shopping for Ella, and she saw this cute little red hood wool hood/capelet and she *had* to get it for her. It matches a cute little red dress she got for her. Anyway, the thing is very cute but was about $40 and I can't really imagine how a wool capelet is going to figure into the fall/winter wardrobe of a 2 year old. Hence, I figure I might as well get some mileage out of it as a Halloween costume!!! I figured I'd buy a basket somewhere, and then strangely I found a really good one for our purposes in the garage that the previous homeowners left behind! It's funny because my mom would scoff at the idea of buying something so impractical and expensive for a child, but I guess it's different when it's a granddaughter that you rarely even see! My parents are kind of funny about that, because they're not really into sending packages, so I think they feel like they have to concentrate all their spoiling efforts into visits! Honestly I don't even think my mom would have bought that thing if we lived closer and saw each other more often!

Awaken and spughy--it's been a while since I've made yogurt and I only made it a couple of times, but I seem to remember heating it briefly to boiling to kill any competing bacteria, then introducing the culture, then keeping it in a sealed glass container at a low warm temperature for a bit. (A day or a couple of days? don't remember). I would think that raw milk yogurt wouldn't be technically raw then unless it's done differently than that (which it might be) but it has the beneficial cultures added back in separately so I imagine that even yogurt would thus have some of the same purported benefits of raw milk. ???

willemsmama--good point about the bike seats, i was looking at one recently, that or a trailer, and they are pretty pricey. Perhaps I will post on freecycle or try to find one that someone doesn't want. I have a trek hybrid, which I used to actually ride a lot about 5 years ago!!! Sadly, I don't think I've ridden my bike more than once or twice after I moved from my apartment to my house, met DH and the ensuing relationship/marriage/pregnancy/kid events!!!
#154 of 172 Old 10-29-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavita View Post
skristina--hey, that's what little brothers are for, right?
I have 2 younger brothers and this is a public forum. I feel it's in my best interest at this point in time to plead the 5th

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#155 of 172 Old 10-29-2007, 07:46 PM

Brynn has a dinosaur costume and she LOOOOVES it. She wears it daily, and she was elated when she got to wear it to the zoo this past weekend. They had little kiosks at different locations througout the zoo to give kids some candy, and instead of saying trick or treat, Brynn opted for "Raaar!" It was awesome. We did see two other dinosaurs, but they were both boys so Brynn was the only Girlasauraus. We had so much fun! I'll be posting pics to the blog sometime soon.

For Halloween night, we'll probably just walk around our nabe, and then hang out here to pass out candy and maybe meet some of the neighbors. There are so many kids in our subdivision and it would be nice to actually know some of them! People here in S. Indiana are very UN-Southern in that only one family has come to introduce themselves! It's weird.

Anyway - Sarah, I hope Rowan decides to wear hers so that all of your hard work doesn't go to waste!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#156 of 172 Old 10-29-2007, 08:10 PM

Hey mamas,

I love hearing about all of the Halloween costumes for the little ones!!! I hope everyone wears their costume, especially Rowan, spughy! Amazing that you made the whole thing, including stripes. Wow. Amy, I love that Brynn is a dinosaur (girlasauras!), especially knowing how much she loves them. Kavita, the red riding hood coat sounds precious. Willemsmama and kristina, let me know how it goes with your boys.

Finley is going to go as a train engineer, since he is rather into trains these days. We have those train overalls, with the stripes, (that are way too big for him, but oh well), and a train hat, also with the stripes, and he has a whistle, too. We've been talking about it, and I hope he enjoys it. We are going to walk around with our next door neighbors, who have a little boy a few months younger than Finley, and then come back home to hand out candy. I'm excited!

I also feel like I owe everyone an apology, about the beads...kaspirant has kindly been waiting for us to get together for me to hand over my beads, but I have been so difficult to get together with, it is just postponing it more and more. Kaspirant, we WILL get together, very soon, but I am going to pop them in the mail tomorrow, so I can stop feeling guilty about the hold up.

How are all you pregnant mamas feeling?

Gunter, how's it going with the bike search? Are you glad you'll be settling in in the states for the winter?

Amy, what a huge pain about the flood!!! I wish I could come over and help...sounds like you are pretty overwhelmed with house to-do's, but as always, you also sound so capable and on top of it, and I'm sure you'll pull it all off in time for the big housewarming party

Life right now feels a bit insane here, but in a really good way, but the excitement and nerves of it all has been throwing me for a loop, a bit, not to mention having a busy and last minute schedule with rehearsals and meetings, etc. I'll go ahead and tell you all my big news, though keep in mind, it's not 100% yet...though it sort of is.

There is a new show (I'm not including the name, because they want me to keep the story a secret, and my being on it, could be a spoiler of sorts), and the producers heard about me from the ABC people (where I've been doing the showcase), met me, and liked me, and they are going to write me onto the show!!! Of course, we don't have cable, so I was clueless about the show, but have now watched it online and learned about it. I am not sure about my part at all yet, and it will probably start pretty small...and then hopefully, if they like me, and if the show is picked up, will get bigger. Supposedly, we'll start working on the show in less than two weeks, and I am meeting with the director in two weeks. Needless to say, I am ecstatic.

As soon as I know when it'll be on, I'll let you all know, of course. Probably not til January, is my guess.

Anyway, I am excited and also nervous, craving more concrete information, a schedule, a script, though there is no reason for me to think it isn't happening...for some reason it is nerve-wrecking for me. I am just finally so close to what could be such a break, the break I've been dreaming of since I was four, and working toward since I was 20. My body and my mind have been kind of flipping out, and I am trying to calm myself...I am going to yoga tonight, which will surely help.

Finley is all over the place with his sleep, and has had a bad cold and I think he might be teething. But he is such a sweetheart, and such a joy.

Wish I could think of some funny cute Finley stories to share, but I can't.
#157 of 172 Old 10-30-2007, 06:37 AM

hey mamas,

we are back in our house as of this weekend. it is totally grossing me out with how dirty it is. dead flies on the window sills, mouse poop everywhere, even saw some roaches, pen marks all over my desk, dirt and inches of dust, weird fuzzy stuff in the bathtub and toilet, dirty windows, dog food all over. my brother was "taking care of the place" for the last month and we had a renter for the other three months who was an older lady that i cannot imagine made this mess. i think it was my slob brother; yeah, we grew up together but he must not have learned anything about cleaning since then! dh said that he must have taken a shower with motor oil instead of soap by the looks of the downstairs bathroom. speaking of motor oil, it's all over our driveway and there is a broken down car next to it! are you f n kidding me?! :

the yard is so overgrown that it makes the adams family yard look neat and organized. wtf? also, as we helped pack him up to move out, i found movies that really should not be mentioned here perhaps. it's giving me the creeps to think of what may have happened while he was watching those things, IYKWIM. he probably has this in common with lots of young single guys but it is so gross to think about that happening in my house. help me get rid of those thoughts, dear lord. ugh.:

we have been cleaning non-stop. oh, and our dog was filthy so he got the royal treatment at the doggie salon for his 5th birthday yesterday! happy birthday, sherpa...and we're really sorry.

i cried myself to sleep sunday night. my head was spinning with ideas of moving away. and, i love this house and the land it's on! what was i thinking leaving?

we're working really hard to fix things up. please send me healing vibes and purifying thoughts for my house. i am going to plan to give birth here and need it to totally be "clean" of all this nastiness by then both physical and just mentally for me, personally.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#158 of 172 Old 10-30-2007, 09:36 AM

barcelona, hooray for the show!! That is sooo exciting, and I can't wait to hear more about it as your part is solidified!

Gunter - sigh - I totally hear you on the filth factor. Our house was like what you described, but WAY WORSE, and for the first few days I didn't know if I would ever be able to sleep soundly here because the images of how it was when we bought would forever be burned into my brain. It was BAD. I mean, cleaning up after yourself/family is already unpleasant, but cleaning up the filth of other people? :Puke But I do want to say that now that it's clean, I really don't think about how bad it was. Every little thing helps, and pretty soon it will feel like your happy and clean home again.

Speaking of clean happy homes, I still have a ton of projects to finish up before Sunday so I'm off to paint our bathroom. Woo woo!

Oh, as for the basement, we had to cut out some insulation and our spare couch was totally ruined, but other than that it wasn't anything major. One of our suitcases did get wet so it of course really stinks now, and I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the odor so that it can be salvaged. Any ideas? I was thinking of soaking it in the bathtub in a vinegar + baking soda mixture, and then rinsing it several times. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!!

#159 of 172 Old 10-30-2007, 10:09 AM

Gunter We LOVE the Australian bush flower essences space clearing spray.

Amy, I'd try giving it (the suitcase) time to dry out with bicarbonate of soda and some lemongrass e.o. in a bowl inside it.

Barcelona, seeing as I'm in a whole different continent can you tell ME what it's called? : It sounds fantastic.
And in answer to the preggo mamas question, I'm huge. I'm at that special point in pregnancy where every day I get out of bed, look down and go OMG because he's grown so much overnight. I'm actually losing weight overall, but he's gaining, bless his little cashmere socks. There's a kind of bump picture in the blog (attached to an unrotated knitting photo, but you get the overall idea. And yes, this is just an invitation for people to comment on the cardigan.) We went shopping for clothes for Frances (skye's baby. known as BAAABYYY) today and I got some very odd looks from people because i was buying stacks of clothes for a 3lb baby at this stage in pregnancy.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#160 of 172 Old 10-30-2007, 12:46 PM

Helen- you truly are a dedicated mama; CASHMERE socks, honestly? Sigh.

Gunter - ewww. and awww. I totally relate to needing to clear the energy before giving birth. You have some time to settle back in, and nesting should take care of the clearing energy part. In addtion to flower essences, essential oils in diffusers help out a lot too. As does creating homey smells like making applesause and baking bread.

Amy- Willem was a dinosaur two years ago and REFUSED to wear the costume. It was so cute too, green with iridescent purple spikes on the head and down the back and tail and little teeth on the head hood.

I've got to be the world's ditziest pregnant woman!!! :Here I am, trying to be all domestic this morning, making applesauce, getting ready to make pickles in the crock (not crockpot), stripping diapers on the stove (I have a front loader and I don't have a dishwasher so I have to boil them... smelly house and all), and baking bread . I usually just bake bread sans bread machine because it seems to go faster, but today I lugged out the beast and popped the ingredients in (despite the fact that it will be around 3 or 4pm before the loaf is done). I just now walked in the kitchen and glanced in the little window to see if the dough was smooth yet. I was surprised to see only the dry ingredients, despite the mixing sounds the machine was making. After a little investigation I came to the conclusion that it would have helped if I inserted the DOUGH paddle in before adding the ingredients and turning it on!!!
sheesh! So in inserting the dough paddle I got various ingredients all over my fingers. I'm wondering if that will mess up the ratios.
I must say, however, that since I've been taking my omega 3's again, my memory seems to have improved. But this whole ditzy thing is just annoying!:
#161 of 172 Old 10-30-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Barcelona, seeing as I'm in a whole different continent can you tell ME what it's called? : It sounds fantastic.
Neener neener Neener....I'm special. I know! I know!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
And in answer to the preggo mamas question, I'm huge. I'm at that special point in pregnancy where every day I get out of bed, look down and go OMG because he's grown so much overnight.
OMG me too!!!!! After having last week off work my daycare lady was astonished at how big I was...she just kept saying it's like the kid grew 10 lbs since I saw you last...I feel it too...all in my back :

beads
coming soon!!

Oy Gunter
*hugs* I know how much I hate the eww..and need things cleaned up. Even with the threat of evacuation I was running around cleaning things up so that *if* nothing bad happened I had a clean house to come home too. I hope you get it home-like again soon!!

Monique
LOL about the bread machine. I can't begin to tell you how many times I did that when I wasn't pregnant!! I'm so jealous of all that you are getting done. I'm attempting to teach kids who don't give a rat's arse about the periodic table...I have to say I'm starting to agree with them. :
#162 of 172 Old 10-30-2007, 02:58 PM

Monique, a friend of mine told me the other day that when she was pregnant, her brain turned to placenta It works for me. As for the cashmere, I'm not that nice. I have enough left over from MY cashmere socks that I'm prepared to use it on small people. That's all.

Kaspirant, hope the backache gets better soon.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#163 of 172 Old 10-30-2007, 03:02 PM

Gunter--sorry your place is such a mess. That stinks. Get some big rubber gloves for the cleaning, it'll make you feel less grossed out when cleaning up someone else's mess and yuck! Did you ever see the movie The Color Purple? Celie (played by Whoopi Goldberg) has just been married to the mean guy with a bunch of mean kids, and she's living in his filthy disgusting shack of a house. There is a little segment which shows her cleaning--washing the black filth off of the windows till they shine, cleaning all the stuff in the house, and at the end of it the little place is all clean and shiny and homey, and you see her putting things in jars (like beans and rice and such I think) on shelves in the window so they look pretty, creating beauty in a simple way and making it her home. I always think about that when I have a major horrible filthy cleaning job to do, and I find it inspiring. Generally I start in the bathroom and the kitchen, and once those are clean the rest of the place doesn't seem so awful. Also, on occasions like that I tend to forgo my gentle non-toxic earth friendly potions and go straight for the bleach and such!! : Kitty litter down on the driveway will absorb the motor oil. Can you force your brother to help with the cleanup??

barcelona--sounds exciting! I'll look forward to The Big Reveal, as they say in reality show lingo!! :-)
#164 of 172 Old 10-30-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavita View Post
Also, on occasions like that I tend to forgo my gentle non-toxic earth friendly potions and go straight for the bleach and such!!
I am *so* all about the Lysol sanitizing wipes. The more, the better!

Speaking of which, I just finished sanitizing and painting the master bath and it is SOOOO much better. You're right Kavita - when the bathroom(s) and kitchen are clean, the rest seems manageable.

#165 of 172 Old 10-30-2007, 05:08 PM

Wow everyone is all busy and industrious! Gunter, I totally know what you mean... 10 years ago if I'd had a place and lent it to my sister, that would have happened. But, now she's a respectable lawyer, so you never can tell.

In an extraordinary coincidence, I am right now wearing cashmere socks. They were a christmas present from last year from my MIL. Fortunately I am one of those people who is a huge fan of socks for christmas.

Rowan did end up wearing her costume to playgroup - yesterday and today - and was definitely the cutest tiger on the planet for a while. And she will be again tomorrow. Yesterday I had to drop off a form at the university for my DH, and the place is even more infested with rabbits than normal. This, of course, thrilled Rowan to pieces. I let her chase the bunnies - who are pretty fat and placid - and they hopped and she giggled and shrieked and it was all so cute it made my teeth hurt. Then I thought, gee, imagine if she were wearing her tiger outfit, and I had the video camera. Heh. I think tomorrow, on the way to the g'parents (who live conveniently close to the uni), we may take a detour. And a costume. Oh, I am a bad bad mama, but I do so want a video of a little tiger chasing bunnies!!!

I am also a very tired mama. I have a bad cough and last night every time Rowan woke me up it triggered my cough and I spent a full hour surpressing it to get back to sleep But I am hopped up on caffeine so I feel ok right now (which is when I should be napping of course).

Monique - thank you for reminding me, I have to go make bread. I made pumpkin tarts yesterday and the pastry failed miserably. New flour, stupid me.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#166 of 172 Old 10-31-2007, 09:04 AM

Happy Halloween!!

I love Halloween. I just realized this morning that we haven't carved any pumpkins yet!! We have two, but they've just been sitting out on the porch. We need to do that this afternoon.

Can you believe it's the last day of October already and tomorrow is the start of "our" month? It's so exciting and unbelievable that our babies are turning 2 already!

Here's a link to the birth announcements thread so that we can keep track of birthdays.

Soos71, Soggygranolamama, averymybaby, 2tolove, bodogirl, cjbeach, oetien, mamaharsh (Sean's birthday is today!), and deathbygodiva all have two-year olds already!

#167 of 172 Old 10-31-2007, 10:57 AM

PS: Raaar!

#168 of 172 Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 AM

too cute for comments
#169 of 172 Old 10-31-2007, 01:02 PM

Carrie Louise.
I keep thinking about that family- anyone know if dziejen has had the new one yet? And so many mamas who I miss- I miss Kel, and Memorymaker, and everyone. I wonder if they'll check back in with us next month?
Am I right in thinking that all of our pregnant mamas are out of their first trimester, btw? Just wondering...

#170 of 172 Old 10-31-2007, 01:49 PM

Happy Halloween to all and Happy Samhain to those who celebrate. I'm 16 weeks and have my first mw appointment later today, but have yet to manage to get in the shower. It's just being a yuck day all around here. Bank idiocy leading to money issues, but that should be cared for later this afternoon. It also looks there is nothing for dh to do after this job is finished in about 3 weeks. So not what we need right now.

I just went looking and dziejen has 12/29/07 listed as her edd in her siggy.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#171 of 172 Old 10-31-2007, 05:26 PM

Happy Hallowe'en! I did get video of a tiger chasing rabbits at UVic today! It is supercute and we'll try to post it tonight. She is totally in love with the tiger costume now, yay!

The media here have been reporting that there's some sort of pumpkin shortage and none of the grocery stores have any. : If there's ONE thing people should be buying locally, it's pumpkins - there are pumpkin fields all over the place around here, but it seems the grocery stores are sourcing theirs from the mainland or something. Anyway, I had to go to a farm market today for frozen berries and fruit and they had thousands and thousands of pumpkins that they'd marked down to $1 a piece ($2 for the really big ones.) Silly media, silly grocery stores, silly people.... argh.

Anyway, now I get to carve them. Rowan loves the carved pumpkins but is not so interested in the process so I'll do them this afternoon while she's at grandma & grandpa's, entertaining them with her tigerness.

Amy, Brynn is an adorable dinosaur! Raar!

And on a separate note (I celebrate both, but differently) have a good Samhain everyone. We have so much harvest bounty here at the moment it almost feels like every night is a celebration of it... but I will light my special candle tonight and enjoy a few moments of peace and quiet and reflection, and plan coziness and warmth for the dark months to come.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#172 of 172 Old 11-01-2007, 09:03 AM

It's November!!

Here's the new thread.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page