June 2006 Mamas - It's October! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 208 Old 10-08-2007, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can I just cry and complain here a minute...I need to let it all out. In the past 24 hours, I have had so much physical and emotional trauma to last me a couple months. I had the weirdest freekish incident between me and a pumpkin - I was walking through a doorway when my 7 year old SIL (I know, I know, thats another story) who was behind me dropped her pumpkin only for my big toe to jam into the skin and get the skin lodged all the way underneath my toenail so that the nail almost completely detached from my toe. doesn't even begin to state how I feel about that one. I never say this, but WTF? How? I had to use a pin to scrape the pumpkin pieces out from underneath my toenail while in excruciating pain. It hasn't stopped throbbing yet. Then, ds is seriously teething so he wouldn't stay asleep for more than a few minutes at a time all through the night and when he actually did sleep for an hour twice, I couldn't sleep because I felt like my toe was a beating heart in itself. So, I slept for a total of 1 hour this morning from 5-6 am because of my dh taking crying ds - the whole thing was horrible! Then, the mom of the kids I watch asks me to drive them all over the darn county today to practices and back for dinner and back to school, etc. In the car with my ds for over 3 and a half hours out of 5, both of us on hardly any sleep and food - he was hysterical and so was I. Then, I drop the kids back off at their house, get in the backseat to nurse and calm my baby down, when I realize I should reach up front to shut my drivers side door since the bugs were flyin in like the plague - and, I slammed my fingers shut in the door. I am then stuck, knowing I had probably just broke all 3 fingers...because I can't reach the door handle with my right hand. And then, the only good part about it was their father came out to see why I was still in the driveway (my boob still hanging out) and I started screaming, "Rich, help me, please quickly, hurry!" He opens the door and I couldn't believe I was looking at my own fingers. Turns out, I think only the middle one is broken, the other two badly injured though. Oh my gosh. I'd never been more thankful to ice an injury.

I do want to comment on halloween but LO is tired and ready for bed as am I.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#62 of 208 Old 10-08-2007, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tatum View Post
Can I just cry and complain here a minute...I need to let it all out. In the past 24 hours, ....... Turns out, I think only the middle one is broken, the other two badly injured though. Oh my gosh. I'd never been more thankful to ice an injury.

Oh My! That was a day (and a night!) and hopes for a peaceful healing night for you.

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#63 of 208 Old 10-08-2007, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Can I just cry and complain here a minute
Goodness gracious! What a crappy day!! I'm so sorry.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#64 of 208 Old 10-08-2007, 11:26 PM

Good gravy, Lori. That is one messed up 24 hours. I hope you get some rest and a BREAK - and not another finger.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#65 of 208 Old 10-08-2007, 11:30 PM

OMG, Lori - OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You may CERTAINLY cry here over a day like that. I hope you and your little feel MUCH better soon!

And Korin, you'd think it was from too much MDC time...but actually, it was Ja and I discovering it from a Family Guy episode (we had no idea what the "peanut butter jelly time" song was), so decided to Google it, found THIS about 6 months ago, and became obsessed with playing it on a daily basis - so naturally DS was seeing it too, and he and DD groove to it whenever we play it, and DS sings the song. When he sees my siggy here he says, "That's my Halloween Costume!", but it's not from here that he starting loving it. In fact, it was Jason that asked me to put the guy in the siggy next to his name, since I had icons for everyone else but him

But um, yeah, I DO spend too much time on MDC. No doubt. COMPLETELY reasonable assumption on your part. I'm hoping by posting that link that someone else will become as obsessed wiht this little dude as we are. Mwahahahahahahahaaaaaaa.....

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#66 of 208 Old 10-08-2007, 11:39 PM

: hahahahah! Ruby will see the dancing banana tomorrow.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#67 of 208 Old 10-09-2007, 12:14 AM

'Tis Thanksgiving today. Am stuffed.

K is going to be a porcupine for Halloween, I'm making the costume for her, just have to get some faux fur. Will take pics when it's ready.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#68 of 208 Old 10-09-2007, 01:33 AM

Holy. Freaking. Cow. Lori. Augh, I wish I could pour a glass of wine (or tea - whatever you're into) down your throat and clean your kitchen or something. What a freakin' nasty turn of events. I'm sorry

Re: Halloween. In theory, Nevie will be a Giraffe. Won the costume on eBay. Then found several EXACT SAME costumes at the local children's consignment store. For much cheaper, considering shipping. D'oh. So I'll believe she'll be a Giraffe when the costume gets here. The first costume I won came (ladybug)... but was a 6-month size, not 12-month as titled in the auction. The seller refunded all my money, so I gave it to a classmate with an appropriately-sized little girl.

School is kickin' my butt, y'all. Oh well. And I have barely worn Nevie lately -- mostly because she likes walking so much and because the opportunity just hasn't been there as much. Day care, yada yada. School, yada yada. Living the life of the shut in, yada yada.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#69 of 208 Old 10-09-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
Happy Birthday to me!

And of course J and S2 are both sick and REALLY miserable. but oh well.

a friend of mine is pregnant!! and hasn't told anyone else yet! i got to be first! this is her first baby, and i am SO excited!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#70 of 208 Old 10-09-2007, 04:53 PM

Happy birthday sarah~!!

#71 of 208 Old 10-09-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
Happy birthday sarah~!!
Yeah! :

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#72 of 208 Old 10-09-2007, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
Happy birthday sarah~!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
Yeah! :
Thanks, ladies!

#73 of 208 Old 10-09-2007, 06:53 PM

Happy Birthday Sarah! And I LOVE the quote in your siggy. It's so true!

Lori -- Holy Freakin' Cow. I really hope your day looks up!! You need to win the lottery or something to make up for that chain of events.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#74 of 208 Old 10-09-2007, 09:35 PM

Happy Birthday Sarah!

#75 of 208 Old 10-09-2007, 11:30 PM

thanks guys for all the hugs and all. Today, I visited a podiatrist because my toe started oozing yucky stuff and I feared it was infected. So, he said the best prevention of further problems would be to remove the nail that actually detached from the toe skin underneath. Apparently so that the ooze has somewhere to go and fragments of pumpkin can surely be out of there. So that was really a fun experience as well. So gross. And, I have screamed out in pain about 5 times today already from Tatum stepping on it...youch!!!

On the bright side, I got a great night's sleep last night. Tatum only woke once (the first time thats EVER happened. really.) So, tomorrow I hope to see a new tooth emerging from those gums because it was a cranky evening tonight once again. I wish I could take a picture of his whiny face...sometimes I have to really try hard not to laugh right at him. He scrunches up his nose and eyes and his top lip comes up all high, exposing his two front big teeth with his cute gap, and his jaw twists slightly...aww, he's so adorable just thinking of him makes me smile.

Tatum is going to be a soccer star. (Dh might be disappointed if he doesn't become a wrestler, so I am downplaying his innate soccer ability...) He literally dribbles a soccer ball (half the size of himself) all over our house every time he sees it. I mean, dribbles, for real, like a big kid. At a field tonight for soccer practice (the five yo I watch), Tatum was seriously running and dribbling the ball along better than any of the five year olds. I just watched in amazement because he did it sooo well with hardly any practice...and all on his own - then he stopped the ball by placing his foot on top. I gave him a whistle to go along with his activity. He ran around like this for a half hour blowing his whistle like some soccer coach - it was hilarious enough to last me through the week!

Halloween: I am making superhero costumes for him and hopefully my dh and I as well...The way things are going I'll be lucky to just get the capes made. I am still learning how to sew different things, so the boots are a little tough for me. But I am determined to figure it all out.

Oh, HAPPY BIRTHDAY SARAH!

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#76 of 208 Old 10-10-2007, 12:00 AM

Apparently we sleep like a big kid now.

We used to rock to sleep. Now, she squirms and grumps at me until I lay her in her bed, awake, put her blanket over her and sit in the rocking chair next to the bed. Then she goes to sleep by herself. Doesn't want to be touched. It's only been a week, and I miss rocking to sleep!

#77 of 208 Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post
Happy Birthday Sarah! And I LOVE the quote in your siggy. It's so true!
Awe, thanks on both counts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
Happy Birthday Sarah!
Thank you!

Quote:
Oh, HAPPY BIRTHDAY SARAH!
Thank you! And very cool about the soccer skills!

Quote:
Apparently we sleep like a big kid now.

We used to rock to sleep. Now, she squirms and grumps at me until I lay her in her bed, awake, put her blanket over her and sit in the rocking chair next to the bed. Then she goes to sleep by herself. Doesn't want to be touched. It's only been a week, and I miss rocking to sleep!
awe. s2 has been going to sleep by herself for about 9 months now. it's bittersweet.

#78 of 208 Old 10-10-2007, 03:39 PM

Happy Birthday Sarah!

We use a babyhawk and ring sling. I can't think of the company. it depends where we're going and if she's awake sleepiong./

Hannah is going to be a caterpillar or kitty for Halloween, i can't decided between the costumes....
#79 of 208 Old 10-10-2007, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkbar View Post
Happy Birthday Sarah!
thanks!

#80 of 208 Old 10-10-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
'Tis Thanksgiving today. Am stuffed.

K is going to be a porcupine for Halloween, I'm making the costume for her, just have to get some faux fur. Will take pics when it's ready.
I so want that costume! did you get a pattern?

I am in I teeth hell! good sleep last night though.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#81 of 208 Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama View Post
Oh, forgot to ask: who is still babywearing? What carrier(s) are you using now, particularly those with heavier toddlers? Andrew is like 28 or 29 lbs., sometimes likes to walk/ride in a stroller but other times wants to be in the sling. He gets really heavy on the front and I find the hip carry gets in the way a lot....yesterday in the corn maze I was soooo wishing I had a back carrier! I have a Didy I could use on my back, but I find it hard to get him into it. I was thinking of getting a Beco or an Ergo - any of you still using those? Which of them would you mamas recommend?
I have a Baby hawk, an onbu (I think I'll turn the BH into a onbu) srveral ringslings, a fleece pouch That I love! good for when she's tired and chilly. and several wraps of all sizes. Most of wich are on loan.

I would say the didy or a mt are your best option. Baby Hawk makes a toddler hawk for bigger babies.

#82 of 208 Old 10-10-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmama View Post
I so want that costume! did you get a pattern?
I saw it in this book, and am going to tweak it a bit so that we can use the clothes again later. Essentially, you get a brown shirt/onesie and brown pants and sew a big bump on the back with long faux fur, and stuff it. I think I'm going to try and make some sort of pullover vest type thing because the only brown shirt I can find is really cute and I want to keep it for later.

I'm actually still debating doing the owl instead. That's the grey one pictured on the cover. So cute. I need to go look at that book again.

#83 of 208 Old 10-11-2007, 03:09 PM

This is their porcupine and hippo that are cute.

I can't see spending the cake though.

Thanks! I'll look for it.

#84 of 208 Old 10-11-2007, 04:12 PM

Yeah, Katie's won't be that much. I did spent $20 on the shirt and pants, but she can use them for other things as well. The faux fur should cost less than $10, and I've got a ton of stuffing already.

#85 of 208 Old 10-12-2007, 11:03 AM

Happy Birthday Sarah! (Belated!) Hope it was fun!

Andrew is going to be Peter Pan for Halloween - no, I didn't pick that, I let his sisters choose I don't even know if the costume will fit - it looks like it's made for bigger kids, but I got the smallest size they had and figured we'll make it work.

The girls are total Disney Princess fiends right now, so they're going to be Jasmine (from the movie Aladdin, for those not routinely subjected to everything Princess ) and Snow White - funny, because DD2 has very light blond hair but was scared to death of the black Snow White wig they sold with the costume, so she's really going to look nothing like Snow White except for the dress, LOL. So as long as I was not being creative and crafty with the homemade costumes and was going the store-bought route, I decided to make it easy on myself at the Disney Store & said, girls, when you're done picking out your costumes, go to the boys' side and pick one out for your brother so we can get out of here Evidently they enjoyed being whacked on the head with a foam sword, so Peter Pan it is.....

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#86 of 208 Old 10-12-2007, 11:11 AM

We were going to to be peter pan and tinkerbell as well, but then we thought making superhero costumes would be easier...but that is really funny about them liking to be bopped on the head with the sword and thats why!

#87 of 208 Old 10-13-2007, 08:39 PM

Hi ladies...just dropping by to say hi. Hope I haven't missed too much. No reliable internet until 10/26. I'm dying. I have been having a really hard time lately, family issues. Talula is kicking my butt. She has been really whiny and irritable for a few days. She has a rash on her back that I came to try to look up online. She has an on-and-off fever and is sooooo cranky 24/7. I'm so tired. I'm beyond the point of feeling sorry for her for feeling so bad and more into the realm of feeling sorry for myself and just crying randomly throughout the day. On top pf that, my 8yo has decided that she doesn't want to do anything I suggest. She's like a teenager, and I'm not quite ready for that yet.

Anyway, sorry to pop in and be such a downer. I am just so exhausted that I feel like a crazy person.
#88 of 208 Old 10-14-2007, 12:40 PM

Candice :

I had something to say, and now I forget what it was. Back later.

#89 of 208 Old 10-14-2007, 05:07 PM

candice. multiple days of sick/cranky/teething etc makes us all a little : I hope the family stuff eases up.

#90 of 208 Old 10-14-2007, 05:18 PM

Hi mamas!

Things are going . . . adventuresomely . . . over here. Landed my ass in the hospital last weekend when my misguided immune system decided to attack healthy muscle tissue instead of a virus. I woke up Saturday morning and couldn't move without throwing up from the pain and parts of my body went numb. Fun stuff.

As a result, Bastian and I had our first night apart. Didn't go too well.

DH won't actually give me any details, because he figures it would just upset me more. (I HATE being kept in the dark.) But I do know that Bastian woke to nurse from midnight-1:30am and again 5-6:30am. I'm reassured by the fact that dh tried everything to help him get back to sleep -- frozen teething toy, defrosted breastmilk in a sippy, boobsicle (that one worked for a while), homeopathic chamomile, Motrin, slinging, walking, singing. . . . I'm decidedly not reassured by the fact that one of our neighbors commented that she could hear Bastian through closed windows. : So I know he was really unhappy.

But he seems to have recovered well, aside from being extra clingy for a few days afterward. But he was already pretty clingy since he's getting all four cuspids in (still), so what's a little more?

It took me about 5 days to be able to pick him and his sister up again, and I'm just getting to the point where I can be on my feet for more than 10 minutes without having to take an hour on the couch afterward.

Methinks this is the karmic boot to the back of the head I've been needing to slow down a little. I just have to decide which of my (eep) four jobs to quit. (And how the hell did THAT happen?)

Bastian's having an awesome word explosion over here. Nothing really clear or multisyllable yet except "Mama" (me, dh, and boobs are all "mama"), "hi," and "bye." But he's parroting words back to us like crazy in his happy babble screeching sort of way and we can mostly understand him, which he finds thrilling. I think he's been frustrated with us not understanding his words.

In other adventures, he's developed an allergy to all things in the nightshade family. It started out with a skin rash when he ate tomatoes, which he'd been doing all summer with no problem, and has expanded to include potatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers, paprika, and cayenne. I had no idea peppers, tomatoes, and potatoes were all related to each other. That's making life interesting in our Italian and Indian food-loving vegetarian family!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page