June 2006 Mamas - It's October! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2007, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
S2 stands! And dances! It's freakin adorable. Must get video tomorrow if she's feeling cooperative.

And, she's 18 months old today!!

She also learned to say "Uncle Stuart" - "Ugga Toot". I think he's gonna buy her a pony. It's so funny to see my big burly little brother turn in to a big puddle of goo. He also let her play "doot doot doot" on his cell phone (she pushes the buttons and makes noise) because she pouted when he took it away the first time.

He's now trying to teach her that his name is "Uncle Sucker."

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2007, 12:44 AM

Heidi, I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkbar View Post
i lost the baby...

i had or am having a blighted ovum, just found out yesterday.. started bleeding in the night went in for an ultrasound and it was an empty sac...

I'm so sorry to hear that. I had a blighted ovum with my first pg and it's so hard. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Heidi, I'm so sorry.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Old 10-22-2007, 05:26 AM

Heidi you are in my thoughts.

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

Old 10-22-2007, 01:16 PM

So how was everyone's weekend?

We had our Area (eastern half of PA) LLL conference this weekend and it was awesome. Learned a ton & had a blast.

Got a Beco finally and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! How did I *ever* live without a back carrier, having worn three babies into toddlerhood?! I got a good deal on a barely used one from a mama on another board I post on (for diaper bag addicts, LOL - but a lot of them are also sling/carrier addicts!) Anyway, Andrew loves it and it was a lifesaver at the conference. In fact, it was so comfy and I wore him in it so much all weekend, the only problem is I ended up with a plugged duct this morning right under where the strap rests! I guess you can overdo a good thing!

OK, also, I am kinda freaking out - DH has an interview later this week with a company in - get this - Oro Valley, Arizona!! Which feels, to me, like the other side of the universe I'm sure AZ is beautiful, but I've always been an East Coast city person - after living in NYC, DC, and a suburb of Philly, I think the Tuscon, AZ area would be a total culture shock! I know I'm getting waaaay ahead of myself here, it's just a first interview, but it's to head a foundation and it would be a great opporunity for DH & lots more money, so if he gets it, we'd have to go (and probably on a short timeframe, too). So I posted in FYT to find out more about the area. YK, part of me is excited and I think moving across the country would be an adventure, new experiences, etc. - but then I think it would kill me to leave all my wonderful friends, our LLL groups, our playgroups, our homeschool co-op, our church, the kids' friends, my mom (who is all alone now since Dad died in June) - and start all over in a place where I don't know a soul within thousands of miles.

We left Washington 3 yrs ago for PA - and I was homesick and miserable for like a full year! And I was only a 2.5 hr drive away - we could do a day trip to visit any time. Now, after all this time, I finally feel at home here in PA and I love it and I have an amazing support network and a full calendar all the time, and my DDs have close friends - and now we might have to do this all over? In, like, the desert? Or is it the mountains? I am embarrassingly ignorant of much of this country - I think I'd better start by looking at a map!!

So I don't think anyone in this group is from AZ, right? But do any of you have family or friends there or know anything about it? Anyone done a cross-country move with young kids - Candace didn't you move from Hawaii to Oregon or something? Anyone have any sage advice for me? (Besides letting my DH get through the first interview before I start freaking out?)

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

Old 10-22-2007, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama View Post
So I don't think anyone in this group is from AZ, right? But do any of you have family or friends there or know anything about it? Anyone done a cross-country move with young kids - Candace didn't you move from Hawaii to Oregon or something? Anyone have any sage advice for me? (Besides letting my DH get through the first interview before I start freaking out?)
My mom has tons of family in AZ and NM, and it IS gorgeous. We went out there about 8 years ago, and had an absolute blast.

And yes, don't start freaking out yet. Deep breath.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 10-22-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
My mom has tons of family in AZ and NM, and it IS gorgeous. We went out there about 8 years ago, and had an absolute blast.

And yes, don't start freaking out yet. Deep breath.
OK thanks Sarah!...so it's beautiful, that's good....is it more desert-ish or mountain-ish? I guess there must be mountains there, because the town is called Oro Valley and there are mountains on the town's website...but I always thought of it as desert (OK, I must sound like an idiot. I am actually a very intelligent person with no concept of U.S. geography. DH teases me because I know more about the rest of the world than the rest of the U.S.! )

Anyway, the thing that looks most intriguing to me is that it looks close to the Mexican border?! I loooooove Mexican food so much. So there's a good reason, right? I can say, "I moved my family across the country for the authentic guacamole!"

OK, I'm taking deep breaths....I just hate uncertainty, yk? I mean, if this is going to happen, OK, I can deal, but I need to start planning and all - and if it's not going to happen, OK, great. But it's hard when people ask me things (like making holiday plans, being on the committee for next year's LLL events around here) and I can't commit to anything because in my head I'm thinking, what if we find out a couple weeks from now that we're moving??

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

Old 10-22-2007, 06:43 PM

thank you all for the s and thoughts. it has been a hard pregnancy from the beginning but now even harder kwim? anyways.. i was suppose to go back to work but i'm not ready so tmrw...

BFM-
I have a friend who just moved to AZ says its very hot but other than that i know nothing. lol.

sarah that is cute i love how babes talk when they're little.. my child loves my cell phone, she always brings it to me pen pen (open open) hehe

Hannah all the sudden now she sucks on a pacifier? a couple days ago it started, maybe it'll go away quick... she has always played with them/used them as chewing/teething toys but its weird to see her suck on it, weird.

i hate doin diapers with toddler poop
Old 10-22-2007, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OK thanks Sarah!...so it's beautiful, that's good....is it more desert-ish or mountain-ish? I guess there must be mountains there, because the town is called Oro Valley and there are mountains on the town's website...but I always thought of it as desert (OK, I must sound like an idiot. I am actually a very intelligent person with no concept of U.S. geography. DH teases me because I know more about the rest of the world than the rest of the U.S.! )
i don't remember any mountains per se, more like hills and buttes. but hey, you get to learn what a butte really is! certainly not the mountains we're used to in this part of the country.

oh wait, i do remember driving up one mountain. it was really high elevation, so we put a bag of Doritos on the back shelf in the car to see if it would explode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkbar View Post
sarah that is cute i love how babes talk when they're little.. my child loves my cell phone, she always brings it to me pen pen (open open) hehe

Hannah all the sudden now she sucks on a pacifier? a couple days ago it started, maybe it'll go away quick... she has always played with them/used them as chewing/teething toys but its weird to see her suck on it, weird.

i hate doin diapers with toddler poop
little baby talk is the best!

s2 has been playing with a pacifier lately too. and trying to shove it in her brother's mouth.

i too hate the toddler poop. ick.

i made a poncho!

the yarn is actually gorgeous:
http://www.fabulousyarn.com/fab_blue...eydew602.shtml
but looks dirt colored in the pic:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...b/10-22-07.jpg

Old 10-22-2007, 09:08 PM

Oh, Heidi, I'm so very, very sorry for your loss ... please, know that you are being thought of ...

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
Old 10-23-2007, 12:10 AM

Although I think its just Kerri and I that this applies to, Ricki Lake's documentary, The Business of Being Born, is having a special screening in Philadelphia - finally! I am so excited. Kerri, pass it onto whoever you think may be interested and let me know if you plan on going. I am trying to get some people together, but I haven't heard much back yet in responses. Here's the info:
Check out the site for the film:
http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/home.htm
For tickets: http://risingmoonbirthfund.com/bobb.html
For directions: http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...p;cid=lfddlink

And, Kerri, wow, that is a lot to get excited about...but you're probably right not to get ahead of yourself quite yet.

Here is all I know about AZ. Actually, I think near flagstaff? My hippie friend from h.s. moved out to AZ for a few years and came back last year even more of a hippie which I thought was impossible. And I do remember vividly her telling a hilarious story about getting separated from her friends (stoned) while tubing on a river and ending up washing ashore a bank in which she climbed up a steep, tree covered hill, as she described - took her all night long (she said a mountain, but I think she was a little : at the time it probably just seemed like a mountain, yk) and spending the night with an old man who lived in a little cabin in the woods and saved her life - because she lost her shoes, her feet were all cut up from climbing, and she had no idea how far down the river she had floated or anything. So, the point of the story - um, yes, I think there are mountains and valleys and rivers. Grand Canyon is there, yk?

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Old 10-23-2007, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tatum View Post
Although I think its just Kerri and I that this applies to, Ricki Lake's documentary, The Business of Being Born, is having a special screening in Philadelphia - finally! I am so excited. Kerri, pass it onto whoever you think may be interested and let me know if you plan on going. I am trying to get some people together, but I haven't heard much back yet in responses. Here's the info:
Check out the site for the film:
http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/home.htm
For tickets: http://risingmoonbirthfund.com/bobb.html
For directions: http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...p;cid=lfddlink
They're gonna be near me tonight! Unfortunately, on such short notice and for $20, it ain't gonna happen.

Oh well...guess I'll just wait 'til January for the theatrical release.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
OK, also, I am kinda freaking out - DH has an interview later this week with a company in - get this - Oro Valley, Arizona!! Which feels, to me, like the other side of the universe I'm sure AZ is beautiful, but I've always been an East Coast city person - after living in NYC, DC, and a suburb of Philly, I think the Tuscon, AZ area would be a total culture shock! I know I'm getting waaaay ahead of myself here, it's just a first interview, but it's to head a foundation and it would be a great opporunity for DH & lots more money, so if he gets it, we'd have to go (and probably on a short timeframe, too).

I'm from AZ. Arizona is great, but obviously very different from the East (we live in D.C. now). I think you will learn to love it. Personally, I would rather gut it out for three months of summer in AZ and have the beautiful weather the other nine months of the year than deal with winter here in the East. I HATE winter. While I like the green appearance of things in the East, I also love the beauty of the desert. As far as moving, no real advice there. We move a lot since we are Navy, I guess all I can say is try to have patience - LOL. That's one thing I lose quickly every time we move.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL View Post
I'm from AZ. Arizona is great, but obviously very different from the East (we live in D.C. now). I think you will learn to love it. Personally, I would rather gut it out for three months of summer in AZ and have the beautiful weather the other nine months of the year than deal with winter here in the East. I HATE winter. While I like the green appearance of things in the East, I also love the beauty of the desert. As far as moving, no real advice there. We move a lot since we are Navy, I guess all I can say is try to have patience - LOL. That's one thing I lose quickly every time we move.
i didn't know you were in DC! we're only an hour apart! wanna have a playdate?

s2 is 33 1/4" and 22lbs. 20th% for weight and 90th for height. how the heck did i end up with tall, skinny kids?

Old 10-23-2007, 06:23 PM

Sure! Let's do it before Dec. 16th because after that I won't be back until the end of Feb. I am trying to miss winter - haha! Pm me.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Although I think its just Kerri and I that this applies to, Ricki Lake's documentary, The Business of Being Born, is having a special screening in Philadelphia
Ooh, thanks for letting me know - that sounds cool, I wish I could!! But we're celebrating our anniversary that night! It's actually Nov. 3 (6 years! ) but DH is going to be away on a business trip then, so we're celebrating that next Saturday, the 10th. Just started a babysitting exchange with some friends, so we can finally have a date!! Woo-hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL View Post
Wow, I had no idea you were from AZ! Thanks for the info. I am becoming increasingly excited about the possibility, the more I think about it (of course, now that I think I might want it to happen, he won't get offered the job) Anyway, DH just found out that from more than 100 candidates for this job, they have narrowed it down to 8, including him. Thurs. & Fri. they finish this round of phone interviews, and then they're going to try to narrow it down to 3 or 4 people to fly out for in-person interviews. So we shall see...if you don't mind, I'm gonna PM you with some more specific questions!!

Quote:
i didn't know you were in DC! we're only an hour apart! wanna have a playdate?
Now if I *really* had my wish, it would be to move back to D.C.!! My favorite place of anywhere I've lived. Then I could join your playdate too:

Old 10-23-2007, 07:12 PM

Oops....Stacy, you're not able to receive PMs?

Old 10-24-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Oops....Stacy, you're not able to receive PMs?

Are you serious?! ...Off to check my control panel...sheesh!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:
while tubing on a river and ending up washing ashore a bank in which she climbed up a steep, tree covered hill, as she described -
I can't remember what this river is called, but it's REALLY popular to go tubing down it with a beer in hand. My dad was reminiscing when we were down there in September.

BFM- I've been to Sun City numerous times, it's hot but AC makes it OK. It's really beautiful in it's own unique right and there are mountains. Not like Mt. hood or Mt. Rainier, but mountains. It's high desert country. Can't wait to see what comes of this!

I just had Sydney checked yesterday, we're at 20lbs and 31 inches.
She loves loves loves sheesh (shoes) and smelling things. She smells everything

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klynne View Post
I can't remember what this river is called, but it's REALLY popular to go tubing down it with a beer in hand. My dad was reminiscing when we were down there in September.
It's called Slide Rock - good times.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:26 PM

Ruby loves smelling stuff too. it's so cute

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
Kait smells, too.

Oh, wait. I mean she likes smelling things as well.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:33 AM

Seriously, I killed the thread with one lousy joke? :

Old 10-26-2007, 01:08 AM

No, you killed the thread with your smelly kid.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
I think it's an age thing. it is very cute. Lu will go sniff the dogs bum and then crinkle her nose. very gross.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
Old 10-26-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
i don't remember any mountains per se, more like hills and buttes. but hey, you get to learn what a butte really is! certainly not the mountains we're used to in this part of the country.

oh wait, i do remember driving up one mountain. it was really high elevation, so we put a bag of Doritos on the back shelf in the car to see if it would explode.

little baby talk is the best!

s2 has been playing with a pacifier lately too. and trying to shove it in her brother's mouth.

i too hate the toddler poop. ick.

i made a poncho!

the yarn is actually gorgeous:
http://www.fabulousyarn.com/fab_blue...eydew602.shtml
but looks dirt colored in the pic:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...b/10-22-07.jpg
Cool! Great job! I always end up with a ball of crap when I try to knit.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
Old 10-26-2007, 02:38 AM

I'm working on this scarf right now. Pics are on my blog, but it's about twice as long now.

I took video at Salsa Tots today. Should be up tomorrow, as will pictures of K and our new kitten. Pics of the kitten already on the blog. Well, one anyway.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
Old 10-26-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
No, you killed the thread with your smelly kid.

You just made me choke on granola bar!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
I'm working on this scarf right now. Pics are on my blog, but it's about twice as long now.

I took video at Salsa Tots today. Should be up tomorrow, as will pictures of K and our new kitten. Pics of the kitten already on the blog. Well, one anyway.
OK, I really need to get into knitting.

I can't WAIT to see salsa tots!!!

User Tag List