June 2006 Mamas - It's October! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 208 Old 10-01-2007, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here we go!

S2 will be 18 months on the 20th. I can hardly believe it!

Crawling, not walking. Climbing everything in sight, opening all doors, going up and down the stairs safely, talking more and more, and communing in some secret language with her brother. Very cool.

And my birthday is in 8 days. :

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#2 of 208 Old 10-01-2007, 09:05 PM

: Happy future birthday. Just in case I forget in 8 days.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#3 of 208 Old 10-01-2007, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
: Happy future birthday. Just in case I forget in 8 days.
Don't worry, I'll remind you.

I can do a countdown if you want.

And yes, I am totally kidding.

I told B that I want a maid for my birthday. Just for one day. I want to leave the house with the kiddos and come home to spotlessness. It would be like heaven. This house hasn't been deep-cleaned since we moved in, 'cause I was pregnant and then have been chasing pseudo-twins for the last 7 months, so, yeah. I just want someone else to clean the floors, and toilets, and sinks, and bathtubs, and do the dishes, and vacuum...just once. Oh, and baseboards. It would be heavenly if they washed the baseboards. We'll see if that happens or not.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#4 of 208 Old 10-02-2007, 12:27 AM

Candice, thanks for the law school-based advice! That's exactly what I've heard from folks ahead of me in this program, too. And that's kind of what has to happen anyway, since our little family is all commuting together and Dan doesn't get off work until 5. Long day today, but it went by quickly. Time flies when you're having fun! And getting your a$$ kicked on an anatomy test!

But DUDE, my anatomy prof (male, dean of the program, retired Army reserve Colonel) is a total lactivist! We were bs-ing after lab today and I said something about nursing and having no shame about anything in public -- just glad to show that I'm one more breastfeeding American mother. He just threw up his hands and said "There should never be any issue about that. Ever. It's ridiculous." To which I replied "You now have my undying devotion."

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#5 of 208 Old 10-02-2007, 12:52 AM

K got her first bee sting today. It appears that it was hiding by the dog bed and she found it and picked it up. Got her right in the pad of her thumb. Stopped crying right away after I got the stinger out, much more traumatic for me than for her, I think. Although DH looked close to tears too to see her in so much distress. Swelled up a bit, but was down again a couple hours later. Poor baby.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#6 of 208 Old 10-02-2007, 01:04 AM

Poor K poor mama too!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#7 of 208 Old 10-02-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Candice, thanks for the law school-based advice! That's exactly what I've heard from folks ahead of me in this program, too. And that's kind of what has to happen anyway, since our little family is all commuting together and Dan doesn't get off work until 5. Long day today, but it went by quickly. Time flies when you're having fun! And getting your a$$ kicked on an anatomy test!

But DUDE, my anatomy prof (male, dean of the program, retired Army reserve Colonel) is a total lactivist! We were bs-ing after lab today and I said something about nursing and having no shame about anything in public -- just glad to show that I'm one more breastfeeding American mother. He just threw up his hands and said "There should never be any issue about that. Ever. It's ridiculous." To which I replied "You now have my undying devotion."
Glad to see you have a cool professor!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
K got her first bee sting today. It appears that it was hiding by the dog bed and she found it and picked it up. Got her right in the pad of her thumb. Stopped crying right away after I got the stinger out, much more traumatic for me than for her, I think. Although DH looked close to tears too to see her in so much distress. Swelled up a bit, but was down again a couple hours later. Poor baby.
Poor baby.

We are out and about alot these days. I don't stop here as often as I would like. I tend to keep Lu moving as much as possable ,as this child does not nap unless in the car.

Getting to bed is a night mare. If i don't have the boys down by 7:30 they are awful the next day. That is also the time she wants the most attention.cuddle and nurse for a couple of hrs.: its driving me nuts.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#8 of 208 Old 10-02-2007, 02:08 AM

i hate bedtime. with a passion.

#9 of 208 Old 10-02-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
i hate bedtime. with a passion.
Bedtime is fine here, it's the rest of the night that I hate! Sleeping is all-around tough, though, with these little buggars. :

Anna's out within minutes at 8pm, but then when midnight rolls around she's up every hour until 7am! Yaaaaargh. And this morning she was up at 5:30, in bed next to me, crying, then flailing around for a bit, and then crying again until we were all awake at 6:30... and now DH has her asleep in his arms, reading a book & drinking coffee.

I don't know what it is. I am having AF after a long time with no cycles because of the Mirena IUD (which I just got out), but she is also teething her last two baby teeth, the top canines. I know those are a huge pain. She's also very fussy during the day the past 2-3 days. Poor girl.

I'm working part-time for my dad here at his office, about 5 hours a day. DH is SAH with the kids. It's really interesting, this shift. DH can barely survive for those 5 hours... and of course it's so hard for him to get BOTH kids to nap. I should say that it does take a miracle worker to get Anna to nap without nursing, so I am really in awe when I come home and both of them have slept!

Megs -- Sorry, I haven't been around this thread too much lately -- are you in Med school?

Jes -- I just got stung by a wasp about a week ago and it was horrible! Poor baby...

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#10 of 208 Old 10-02-2007, 02:34 PM

Hello all... I'm still pretty new here, but I've got a problem with my boy that I'm hoping might be age-related? Just lately he's started waking up at night crying - I mean, sobbing, really, still basically asleep, just lying like a lump in his bed, and he's almost inconsolable - the only thing that settles him down is a bottle and the rocking chair, and even then he sometimes doesn't go back to sleep but just lays there with his eyes open and sort of staring...

He just had an ear infection, but took meds for it, but we're checkign tonight to see if it went away or not. I also have read that this is the age that dreams can start (he's 15.5 months). Are there other things that could be causing this?

He sleeps in a crib, in his own room (after about 8 months of co-sleeping in one form or another), and so far he's done fine with it, even lately seeming happy and eager to jump out of my arms and into his crib to snuggle up once we're done with our bedtime routine... so I don't think it's that, though I'm totally willing to take him back to bed with me if I knew it would work....

I'm afraid he's in pain, or scared, or something... and I hate that I don't know how to make it better.. he's such a good, sweet little boy, and he usually sleeps so darn well at night, that it's just killing me to see him like this.

During the day he's also had a bit of a change, getting more impatient/less tolerant/more easily frustrated... more crying if he falls or doesn't get his way, little temper tantrum when we leave the park and stuff like that. I chalked it up to his emerging "toddler-hood", but now I'm worried that it's related?

I just want my baby to be okay... does anyone have any advice, or similar experiences?
#11 of 208 Old 10-02-2007, 04:16 PM

eep-slay is....interesting around here. Some nights she sleeps like a rock all night and doesn't make a peep until about 5:30am (these are my FAVORITE nights, and are the rarest)...some nights she's up every 2 hours to nurse for a minute and then back to sleep...some nights she's awake, flopping around for 2 hours and then zonks out (this happens 2 or 3 nights a week)...there is absolutely NO pattern, rhyme, or reason for this that I can tell. It's a crap shoot as to which of the above is goign to happen, though I'm always pulling for the first. .

pleasantstreets, I wish I had some advice - you might try bringing him back with you and see if that helps, but I don't have any experience to say that it would or not. It's so hard to see them unhappy, and you not be able to do a lot about it...hope you figure out something soon!

Oh, and the tantrums? I'd chalk up to getting closer to 18 months (though we've been dealing with the almighty fury that is Kait since about 10 months : )

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#12 of 208 Old 10-02-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
eep-slay is....interesting around here. Some nights she sleeps like a rock all night and doesn't make a peep until about 5:30am (these are my FAVORITE nights, and are the rarest)...some nights she's up every 2 hours to nurse for a minute and then back to sleep...some nights she's awake, flopping around for 2 hours and then zonks out (this happens 2 or 3 nights a week)...there is absolutely NO pattern, rhyme, or reason for this that I can tell. It's a crap shoot as to which of the above is goign to happen, though I'm always pulling for the first. .
: except we don't get the first. eep-slay SUUUUUUUX around here. Well, let me rephrase. Once she's out, she tends to do ok (ok can be anything from sleeping 5 hours to up every 2. not ok is up every 45 mins ) but she fights going to bed with every last fiber of her being. some nights it's brilliant and she's asleep at 7:30 after 10 mins of nursing. most nights she's cranky and climbing all over me till 10 or later.

Pleasntstreets - could it be teeth? Ruby wakes up crying when her teeth are hurting. and nursing tends to be the only thing that soothes her.

#13 of 208 Old 10-02-2007, 05:25 PM

chiromama - actually, he is cutting one or two on the bottom, but he's just reacting so differently than he did for his first six that I wasn't sure it was it... course, he could be having more come through that I can't see or feel yet, as I'm no longer allowed to just swipe my finger in and out like I used to! So who knows what's erupting back there!

I have finally started giving him some tylenol before bed, but it either wears off before he wakes up, or it's something different.

Of course, I have to say after reading y'alls posts over the past month, I know I really have nothing to complain about in terms of my own sleep - I just worry for him, and that something might be going wrong for him... We're running by the dr. this afternoon for a quick ear check, so hopefully we'll at least rule that out!

Thanks for the input, and good luck to everyone with their eep-slay issues!
#14 of 208 Old 10-02-2007, 07:12 PM

Hello mamas! Happy October!

Jes, so sorry about the bee sting! *I* hate getting stung, so I'm pretty sure that being a little one makes it 20 times worse ... poor baby!

Sleep .... eh. Things have been really well in that dept, but this last round of teeth is killing that. Like Korin's Ruby, Max will wake up crying from sore teeth and really, nursing is the only thing that seems to bring much comfort aside from sometimes chewing on a toothbrush. Poor dude. I realize they serve a purpose, but I'm starting to hate teeth

Pleasantstreets, welcome! Good to see another June 06 mama here And, I echo the try to bring him back into your bed and see if that helps ... hope you get good news from the Dr's office and his ears check out okay!

Megs_BK - lovin' the comments from your prof re: breastfeeding! Too cool!

Hope all is going well, mamas! We had sort of a cruddy end of September, so I'm SO glad October is finally here!

Best Wishes!

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#15 of 208 Old 10-02-2007, 08:25 PM

Pleasantstreets -- That's what my DD does when she's teething badly. She wakes up in mid-cry, then is usually very restless. The only thing that comforts her is nursing off and on throughout the night. Otherwise she just cries and wakes herself fully up. You could try some Hyland's teething tablets, though some people say they don't do anything.

He could be having nightmares as well... my DS started having them when he was about 18 months I think.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#16 of 208 Old 10-02-2007, 08:28 PM

Hi, you guys!

Heather, Nevie is pretty much like Kait in her patterns (or lack thereof). Except, like Ruby, never sleeps through til 5:30. Ah, that will be the day! I've given up the ghost on nightweaning, especially now that nighttime is our prime nursing time. We did just take the frame & boxspring out of our mattress equation and put Nevie's crib mattress next to our bed. I think this is going to be very, very nice. And the guest room is now officially just a guest room (and my office) and someday, maybe three years down the road, we will worry about having a room just for Nevie.

Ashley, I just started Physical Therapy school. So I'm either too lazy to be an MD or too smart to do that much more school without money ;-)

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#17 of 208 Old 10-02-2007, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

You'd think that somewhere along the evolutionary line the survival of the species would have meant that teeth didn't erupt until the kid weaned, around 3 or 4. I mean seriously...what do babies need teeth for anyway, except to bite mama? J hasn't even used his teeth yet for their intended purpose, and yet they keep coming, and coming, and coming. Yeesh.

#18 of 208 Old 10-03-2007, 02:12 AM

s to everyone with eep-slay issues. We do okay most nights, some night she just needs to snuggle. Last night, she woke up at 2 am and was inconsolable screaming for ages. Gave some teething tablets and all was well until 930. (of course that wasn't a continuous block of sleeping, just a block of no actual crying.)

Bad things happen in threes, right? Today she slipped, grabbed the table leg to catch herself, did an ever-so-graceful pirouette and slammed her face into said table leg and split her lip. : I'm scared for what's going to happen tomorrow. We may just stay in bed all day.

#19 of 208 Old 10-03-2007, 03:01 AM

Jes and for Katie. seeing your baby in pain or upset sucks.

#20 of 208 Old 10-03-2007, 03:22 AM

Happy October everyone!! the crisp air here in Portland (and the rain) is wonderful. I stopped by Target and got a pair of froggie rubbers for Sydney, now we can play in mud puddles!!! (which she is DYING to do. I watched her walk right into a puddle at the park with her NEW leather mary janes on... all the while I'm saying "Sydney, the mud puddle is not for play now, Sydney.... No No No! and she's thinking "silly mamma... what's she freaking out about, it's only water"!!)

You know, the weirdest thing has happened; Sydney doesn't cry when i put her down for naps anymore. She just stopped. We're on our 4th day of no cry naps. And, not only no cry naps, no cry bed time too. It sounds too good to write here, but it's true! I don't know what happened to my child but I think it might have something to do with her taking a liking to a certain doll and a quilted blanket that she started to carry around and now sleeps with.

We still nurse at night, but only like 3-4 times now and that after 12am... sorry, long post

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#21 of 208 Old 10-03-2007, 03:24 AM

I'm wondering if getting Sydney adjusted would help with her eating? She hardly eats (as I've mentioned before) and basically gets cranky the minute i put her in her chair. Does anyone know or have an opinion?

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#22 of 208 Old 10-03-2007, 10:16 AM

Jes, so sorry about the dive into the table! It's so horrible when you're watching but unable to stop it - it's like you're moving in s-l-o-w motion while they hurtle to their doom... horrible!

DP took Stuart to the doctor last night for his ear check, and I didn't make it till they were already through, so I caught them as they were walking out... and I saw DP holding an ice pack to Stuart's head! Turns out he had somehow taken a nosedive into the metal circle that is a foot rest for the doctor's stool! DP said it was the worst she's seen him cry after an injury like that, and the nurses made her fill out an incident report! No concussion, though they were sure to list the symptoms of one just in case... lol!

The good/bad news is that it turns out the ear infection had not cleared up, and that was most likely what was causing the nighttime crying... they gave us bigger, badder antibiotics, which I'm not thrilled about, but I'm going along with it because he really needs to shake this infection. Next I'm going to start watching the health and healing board to see what options I can take to avoid these infections in the first place, or heal them faster, more naturally...

Whew, I'm writing a book here so I'll stop, but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for responding! We did have the dr. (well, NP really), check for molars and she didn't feel any, but she said that we could probably expect a similar reaction once they do start to come in. So far his teeth have come in very slowly, so I don't expect them soon... he's still working on his second pair of bottom teeth!

Love hearing all of your stories, by the way!
#23 of 208 Old 10-03-2007, 10:51 AM

Sleep here is good some nights and bad others, like many babies (it seems). Also i realize that I am so tired and sleep so hard that even when sleep is "good" (i.e. he only wakes a few times at night) I feel like it's interrupting me. Some mornings I seriously just want him to GET OFF OF MY BOOBS but I think that's a pregnancy thing, and I just deal with it.
Lately he has decided that instead of waiting for me to come and nurse him down again when he wakes before I go to sleep, he will get out of bed and find me. It's especially interesting because he wears boots and bar at night and walks with this bar between his feet. Thump. Step-Thump. Kind of amusing.
Last night our power was out and it sucked. Power out for adults is not so bad, but with kids it's crazy. We just went to the ILs for a few hours. The whole night routine was screwed, which pissed me off. I am such a baby (ha ha!) but the lights came on just as P was going to sleep. He seemed relieved by it.
Meg, I understand giving up the nightweaning. I would have been tempted to nightwean, but because P doesn't get milk while I'm at work, I feel like nighttime milk is important.

Ok, must go to work. Yo Helen, what's going on w/ your screenname? Are you abandoning us?

PS: teething-- I think it's true that molars (and canines) are worse than the others.
#24 of 208 Old 10-03-2007, 01:00 PM

It does make me sad to hear everyone talk about nighttime nursing, etc... we stopped trying to nurse at 10 months, and by that point it was just the barest of comfort nursing, with almost 99% supplementation from formula... it was such a sad day/month/year/still sad for me, but it was what was right at the time, and I know it's not the end of the world (I was ff entirely, and I turned out pretty okay), but it still just makes me so sad... I fully intended on still breastfeeding at this point, at least to some extent, and hearing y'all talk about it reminds me of that...

However, I am happy that my little guy still likes to cuddle and rock and all the rest of it, and in fact, I've pretty much ignored the whole "take the bottle away at a year" advice since, to me, it's the closest I can get at this point to the nursing at night experience, and I'm just not giving that up! He is comforted by it, I am comforted by it, and for today, that's good enough for me! (though I really do need to get more vigilant about brushing those little teeth in the mornings if I'm going to keep this up!)

Anyway, I totally do not mean this as anything against the mamas who are nursing - quite the opposite, I'm thrilled to know that it's working so well for so many mamas... more BF babies in the world is a good thing, even if it couldn't be mine...

(and because I know how frustrating it can be to hear someone say "I tried and it just didn't work", I'll elaborate and say that I used the SNS for 6 grueling weeks, 3 LCs, read multiple books and websites, and took domperidone for the last 8 of those 10 months, and even then got almost nothing - final LC suggested I have that condition where my breasts are spaced far apart, very little actual breast tissue, and no changes during pregnancy... who knows, but trust me when I say we tried and it did. not. work.)
#25 of 208 Old 10-03-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasantstreets View Post

(and because I know how frustrating it can be to hear someone say "I tried and it just didn't work", I'll elaborate and say that I used the SNS for 6 grueling weeks, 3 LCs, read multiple books and websites, and took domperidone for the last 8 of those 10 months, and even then got almost nothing - final LC suggested I have that condition where my breasts are spaced far apart, very little actual breast tissue, and no changes during pregnancy... who knows, but trust me when I say we tried and it did. not. work.)
s I have a friend IRL who has been through the same thing. It's rough.

Well, we survived the night. All the stress for me, and she slept better last night than she has in ages. Even slept all the way till 230 in her own room. I did give her a lava lamp for a night light. I wonder if that's helping. It sounded a couple times like she might be awake, but only for a few seconds before she was quiet again. She's got a big, fat lip this morning, but it doesn't seem to be bothering her too much. Screwed up her latch for a few hours, but that's better now, thank goodness.

#26 of 208 Old 10-03-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

S2 took her first unassisted steps last night.

We were at a friends house, and she was standing in the middle of the room playing peek-a-boo with our friend's hand on the ottoman (cover with a blanket, uncover and squeal...repeat) and B and I were sitting on the couch against one wall. She turned, took about three steps, and grabbed on to the couch for dear life. More of a controlled fall, but it's a start! The whole room went dead quiet, 'cause we had just been talking about how she hasn't tried to walk at all yet, and then everyone started clapping and cheering, so she sat down and clapped and squealed some. Very cool.

J pulled up on to his knees last night too. Am screwed. He's not even 8 months old yet! Yikes.

#27 of 208 Old 10-03-2007, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Well, we survived the night. All the stress for me, and she slept better last night than she has in ages. Even slept all the way till 230 in her own room. I did give her a lava lamp for a night light. I wonder if that's helping. It sounded a couple times like she might be awake, but only for a few seconds before she was quiet again. She's got a big, fat lip this morning, but it doesn't seem to be bothering her too much. Screwed up her latch for a few hours, but that's better now, thank goodness.
awe! poor bebe

#28 of 208 Old 10-03-2007, 02:44 PM

sehbub, that's such a great "first steps" story - too funny that y'all were just talking about it!
#29 of 208 Old 10-03-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Bad things happen in threes, right? Today she slipped, grabbed the table leg to catch herself, did an ever-so-graceful pirouette and slammed her face into said table leg and split her lip. : I'm scared for what's going to happen tomorrow. We may just stay in bed all day.
Oh, no! Yes, I totally vote for the stay in bed all day ... or wrap her in bubble wrap!

Quote:
It does make me sad to hear everyone talk about nighttime nursing, etc... we stopped trying to nurse at 10 months, and by that point it was just the barest of comfort nursing, with almost 99% supplementation from formula... it was such a sad day/month/year/still sad for me, but it was what was right at the time, and I know it's not the end of the world (I was ff entirely, and I turned out pretty okay), but it still just makes me so sad...
It sounds like a really difficult time for you, but you know, as you said - it was right at the time. No one can ask any more of you than that.

You're so right, too, that those cuddles and rocking and the closeness is important, too. I remember when my oldest weaned I was nervous she wouldn't need my lap anymore (silly, I know, but it was a real fear at the time) what a relief when she would still come and cuddle up with me ... actually, that is still quite nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
So cool! WOO HOO!

So, call me dense, but I think Max has actually added another word to his vocabulary ... "ap-OH" (apple) My Dad gave the kids pumpkins over the weekend and he keeps patting them and saying "ap-OH" and this afternoon he said the same thing about an apple we were peeling and eating for a snack and it just dawned on me the kid thinks the pumpkins are big orange apples

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#30 of 208 Old 10-03-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post

J pulled up on to his knees last night too. Am screwed. He's not even 8 months old yet! Yikes.
Woohoo! And yeah. You're totally screwed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page