Potty training in 29 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-03-2007, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've looked around a bit on MDC and I'm still very confused about how to proceed. Maybe some of you have good tips.

DS, last week, started peeing/ pooping on the potty. I had been telling him when he starts using the potty he won't have to wear diapers (he hates diaper changes). So immediately, he wanted big boy underwear. I couldn't find thick trainers, so I bought disposable pull-ups which he has been using same as diapers.

The cloth trainers came in the mail. He promptly peed in them twice, neither time complaining or even seeming to notice that he was wet. So yesterday he went pantless all day. One pee & one poop accident (those were at night, I think he was tired and overwhelmed), but other than that, caught himself and peed & pooped in potty all day.

Today, we went to mommy & me class. I asked him if he wanted to wear big boy underwear or a pull-up. He wanted the pull-up. I showed him the potty at the class, but he still just peed in the pull-up.

If he's not ready, I'm totally fine waiting (to be honest, this is happening way sooner than I expected). But he is adamantly refusing to put a diaper back on (I was thinking I should cut out the pull-ups and give him the choice of diaper or underwear). I think the pull-ups are fun & exciting, like big boy underwear, but easy like a diaper, to him.

Other than staying at home, pantless, all day every day, does anyone have any tips about how to proceed? Back in diapers? Switch to "real" big boy underwear (with spiderman on them, but totally not absorbent)?

How do people transition from naked training to wearing pants again?

TIA.

--amy
DS1 is 5, DD is 3, DS2 is 2.
#2 of 5 Old 10-03-2007, 05:59 PM

My DS is 30 months and only recently potty trained (I probably jinxed it by saying that )

I jumped the gun a little early when he started using the potty at home. He was really erratic about letting me know when we're out and we had so many accidents I started putting him in diapers while out for a while.

I don't think it's problem to be "in between" for a while. Some kids seem to potty train overnight, some take their time. I guess it it's not a problem financially to buy the pull-ups I guess I'd let him wear those whenever he wants while still ofering and playing up the undies. FWIW what really got my DS into potty learning was when he learned how to climb onto the toilet and do his business in it without the potty seat.

Good luck!
#3 of 5 Old 10-03-2007, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

I think I will buy a ring for the big toilet and start offering that, as well, since that's when we're out & about, he'll only have the choice of the big toilet.

I'm not sure, financially, if I want to stay with the pull-ups, all the time. I'm going to have to play that one by ear, I guess.

Thanks for the input!

--amy
DS1 is 5, DD is 3, DS2 is 2.
#4 of 5 Old 10-03-2007, 08:44 PM

With dd we just put her in regular underwear-no trainers, pullups or anything (she was 22 months and really wanted to use the potty). We let her pick out her favorite unders at the store (Elmo) and I just told her that Elmo didn't want to be peed on. It pretty much worked. Yeah there were a few accidents but nothing big. She didn't like the feeling of peed running down her leg either. I think we may have given her a treat a few times to reinforce her going to the potty but that only lasted a day or 2.

It took 3-4 days of no underwear/diapers and reminding her to go to the potty to really get it. I think during that time she learned how to have some bowel control. Once they get the bowel control down it helped alot.

Good luck!
#5 of 5 Old 10-03-2007, 09:09 PM

We just started pt'ing at the beginning of September. He's in underwear all day, a diaper at night, and a pull-up if we're going on an extended outing in which I know I probably won't be able to find a bathroom in a hurry. I still resort to giving him a diaper to poop in because though he gets the urge, tells me, and I sit him on, he hasn't mastered pooping on the toilet or on the potty and instead of going every day as usual, a couple of days go by unless he poops in the diaper. I'm fine with that because I'm so happy that he's doing great with the pee part.

I found for him that at the beginning pull-ups just confused him and he treated them like a diaper, so he was in underwear 99% of the time and I just dealt with puddles if they happened. Now though, he tells me if he has to go regardless of what's on his bum. Maybe the pull-ups are confusing your son as well?

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page