What are some of your no no foods? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 126 Old 10-11-2007, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In our house we only feed the twins (21 months) organic food, no processed or cured meats (but preferably no meat at all), no soda or candy. Outside the home they have tasted french fries, cookies, icecream and probably other junk foods. I control 99% of what they eat, so I figure having a taste of something while we are out isn't going to hurt too much.

Blessed mama of four
::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 126 Old 10-12-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson'sMommy View Post
I am sorry that you had to use formula for your baby and happy that you sill get to breastfeed. I however I don't think that I would have to use formula even if that such thing came up. I firmly believe that there are other ways to "suppliment" without giving formula.

I don't want to get into that, but I will say that I in NO WAY added guilt to mammas who couldn't/ didn't BF. It is a choice to give your child formula and until you mentioned it, I didn't bring it up.

I am sorry if you took my saying that formula was forbidden as a reason that you or anyone else should feel guilty about a decision to feed formula, whatever be the situation. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings but for now, formula is on my no no list.

That being said, when my son was small, I did ALLOW the Dr. to give him formula when he had jaundice. I didn't know any better and now I do so that is where I stand.

When you know better, you are expected to do better.
You didn't hurt my feelings. I simply disagreed with the notion of formula being labelled a forbidden food, as I know from personal experience that some mothers are forced to supplement, and choice has nothing to do with it in some cases.

I don't feel an ounce of guilt over having used formula some with my child. It was the next best thing to breastmilk that was available to us, and far healthier for her as a newborn than cow's milk, etc. So I used it. And yes, I am very thankful I still was able to nurse afterward, but not all mothers are, and this is a very sensitive subject for many mamas here, I know.

You asked about what foods are no-nos and I was simply saying that in our case and in many others' formula isn't something that could conceivably be termed forbidden. It's certainly, absolutely, not ideal, but to lump it in the same category as HFCS and artificial additives and dyes, and all that nasty stuff -- seems a bit harsh and judgmental -- because it's a sensitive, hot button subject for many women. I know several women who tried desperately to breastfeed but in the end had to rely on formula.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#63 of 126 Old 10-12-2007, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Yea, I can see you point. I stand on the same page as Dr. Newman, a leader in Bfing.
#64 of 126 Old 10-12-2007, 02:19 PM

My list:

Artificial sweeteners
Peanuts
Obvious choking hazards
Alcoholic beverages
Coffee

Everything else, I let ds taste (even soft drinks, on the rare occasion that I have them in the house).
#65 of 126 Old 10-12-2007, 02:25 PM

Used to be beer and coffee, but lately 4 year old has been having a few teaspoons of coffee and lots of milk in the morning. And we drink beer daily and she's welcome to have a sip. She hasn't really taken us up on that. Other than that, I don't really have any restrictions.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#66 of 126 Old 10-12-2007, 05:31 PM

Anything from an animal.
Anything processed.
Anything made from white flour or white sugar.
Anything with hydrogenated or trans fats.

ETA: I didn't add stuff like MSG and HFCS and artificial sweetners because I thought those were a given. Also, I guess I'm in the minority but my children would *not* be welcome to eat meat when they're old enough to know that it comes from an animal. DH laid down the law on that, and I totally back him up: our kids can eat animal products when they are old enough to get a job and a car, drive somewhere to buy their animal products, and eat them, away from the house. They'd be expected to respect our beliefs in the home.

That being said, my kids really "get it" when it comes to veganism, so I hope not to have to worry about that for a long time.

Shayla ~ Crunch-tastic UC mama of 3 nature kids and a moon baby

#67 of 126 Old 10-12-2007, 05:48 PM

Well, dd is severely food allergic, so she can't have:
Peanuts
Tree nuts
Wheat
Rye
Egg
Soy
Sesame
Lentils
Peas
Beans (though we'll retrial soon)
anything in the squash family
Tomatoes
Mushrooms

In addition, we are avoiding (for allergy reasons): fish, shellfish, tropical fruits, seeds (pumpkin, flax, sunflower), citrus, and cow's milk (though she eats raw cheese and greek yogurt).

She has never had: soda, juice, hydrogenated anything, HFCS (though, when she's older, I wouldn't forbid those things if they were served at someone else's house--there's so much she can't eat, that I don't want to restrict her even more, although we do not eat those things ourselves).

She's had refined sugar once, in some allergen-free banana bread I made.

Despite all that, she eats pretty well! Today she had Irish oatmeal, turkey, and cantaloupe for breakfast; a brown rice cake for her first snack; quinoa corn salad (w/ red pepper and scallions) plus avocado and more melon for lunch; an apple and a slice of raw cheese for a snack.
#68 of 126 Old 10-12-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
ummmm.... can't think of any.

I'm a big believer in moderation in all things. I can't think of a single food I've forbidden (I don't count formula as I think of that more as a medication, but no, dd never had any- but of course I would have used it if there were medical reason)

-Angela
: the only no nos are his allergern foods and choking hazards
#69 of 126 Old 10-12-2007, 11:27 PM

Ditto the moderation approach. We limited a few things when dd was little since she seemed to have a few food sensitivities, but as she has grown (and demonstrated that those foods could be eaten without reaction) there really isn't much we've said "NO" to.

Of course, we try to eat seasonally, stick with whole foods, and have a healthy/balanced diet ourselves... but she has had ice cream, chocolate, dorito chips, McD hamburger, french fries, etc. Not frequently or in any great amount, but if it's there and she wants a taste we generally say ok. Basically if WE are eating it (and it's not something she is too young to sample or an allergen) then if she wants some she can have some. It actually helps DH and I keep an eye on our own eating habits...

But she inhales fruit, loves veggies (of all kinds...she eats whole beets, begs for kohlrabi, scrafs down broccoli and cabbage and corn, etc), and thinks home made bread and tangy plain yogurt are what every person wants for breakfast. So we're lucky that way.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#70 of 126 Old 10-13-2007, 09:46 AM

No red meat or poultry, only fish.
No MSG
No artificial sweetners (accept gum)
no High fructose corn syrup
no juice (unless he sneaks sips from family)
No hydrogenated oils
no soy milk and a limited amount of products that contain soy.
soda, but he can have a sip of an Izze if I am drinking one.

We have gone 99% organic/natural at home. I don't mind if my DS has a taste of sweet foods because he is an excellent eater. I only purchase foods for the home that I feel comfortable serving to my 17 month old. My family sneaks him juices and sweets, but he does not see them often so I do not mind.

+ + =
#71 of 126 Old 10-13-2007, 10:03 AM

There's not much I would call no-no foods for DD, because I believe we eat a healthy diet and the times when we do eat unhealthy stuff it's for all of us, so I feel it's fair she can also have some.
I do have three things that bother me when she wants it and those are soft drinks, candy and chocolate. I was shocked this Easter when my mom and MIL both gave DD an enormous egg made of chocolate, I just don't think it's appropiate for a 2 yr old. Everyone I told about this seemed to be surprised I felt that way. Of course I ate the chocolate eggs myself.

Christine, SAHM to DD ('05), DS1 ('07) and : DS2 ('09)
#72 of 126 Old 10-13-2007, 10:49 AM

I wouldn't have given her the whole thing either, but I have no problem with occasional chocolate for a 2-year-old. Whenever we've gotten something like that I just chop it up and we eat it one piece at a time.

I don't eat meat but my daughter loves it, so she's had (all-natural) deli turkey and occasionally restaurant chicken nuggets. One thing I'm kind of adamant that she not eat (at least for now) is ground beef. I have just read too many horror stories about E coli and other pathogens, and I know too much about the beef industry.
#73 of 126 Old 10-13-2007, 05:14 PM

No meat of any kind. (At this point, meat is not so much food to me as it is a deceased animal.)
No soda! Though she did have a sip of Sprite once and hated it.
Sugar in moderation, but definitely not a "no-no".
Basically I like things that are real and not "Franken-foods" like fake-meats and things loaded with HFCS and MSG. With a tiny food budget, though, I do the best I can.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#74 of 126 Old 10-13-2007, 05:28 PM

No honey, before age 1. That's it. Everything else is Ok, if not in excess.
#75 of 126 Old 10-13-2007, 05:38 PM

Oh, I forgot honey. DD's doc said none before 5, so I've just sort of been avoiding it. And no alcohol or energy drinks too. (wait...does that last one sort of go without saying?)

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#76 of 126 Old 10-13-2007, 06:57 PM

We don't forbid anything that I can think of... we don't PURCHASE food with HFCS or hydrogenated oil but I know that he gets it when we are out and about. Same goes for hot dogs (although we do buy uncured from time to time), bologna, etc.

OK I thought of something, he is forbidden to drink conventional soda. He can have a La Croix or club soda if he wants something fizzy to drink. The closest thing to soda we allow him to have is a little organic root beer made with sugar instead of HFCS.

We also don't allow him to have artificial sweeteners.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#77 of 126 Old 06-13-2008, 07:01 PM

artificial sweetners
MSG
non-organic dairy
juice
popcorn, hot dogs, corn chips, raw carrots, candy, etc.
#78 of 126 Old 06-13-2008, 10:31 PM

My girls have dairy and egg allergies, so there is a lot they can't have. So no sugar products of any kind including juice, no meats, no soy, no dairy, no citrus (it doesn't agree with them), no dairy, no eggs, no nuts yet (still too young), no fast food, nothing processed. They only eat fresh organic fruits and veggies, breastmilk, organic rice and hemp milk and bottled water.

Mamma to identical twin girls (June, 2006 born at 30 weeks), new bundle of joy due August, 2011
#79 of 126 Old 06-13-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lubner View Post
Artificial flavors and colors and preservatives. HFCS. Hydrog. Soy milk.

Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but what is wrong with soy milk? We just switched to soy milk because we think DS might have a milk allergy, and we both love it.
#80 of 126 Old 06-13-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoolyZen View Post
Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but what is wrong with soy milk? We just switched to soy milk because we think DS might have a milk allergy, and we both love it.
soy milk contains parts that mimic estrogen. it can really mess a woman up, hormonally. it can also cause boys reproductive problems. there are also several other issues.
here is a great article from mothering:

http://www.mothering.com/articles/growing_child/food/soy_story.html

DS 5-11-06
#81 of 126 Old 06-13-2008, 11:46 PM

This is a great thread! I don't buy anything with Hydrogenated oils, artifical sweeteners or MSG in it, so he doesn't get those things here at home, and we all consume organic dairy. His diet is limited because of the GERD, so he can't have any liquids other than water or white milk (this includes popsicles, even the healthier varieties), no chocolate EVER, and no pomegranate in any form. Other than that, I'm pretty laid back. He's a got a great base for what's really good - he's a two year old who will tackle your for a broccoli stalk - so I can feel good about him trying some less-than-healthy choices outside the home. I just have to put my foot down about the things that aggravate his reflux.
#82 of 126 Old 06-14-2008, 12:06 AM

In general?

Artificial colors
HFCS
trans fats
MSG (we didn't really ever eat a lot of foods with MSG to begin with)
Artificial sweeteners

We eat mostly whole foods at home, mostly organic (DH is much more mainstream than I, though). However, if we're out somewhere (restaurant, a party, someone else's house), I don't really give a second thought to what she eats...it's once in a while. Yesterday, we went out to lunch with DH for the first time in weeks, and she ate buffalo bleu cheese fries, a white bread grilled cheese sandwich, and this horribly flourescent "Trix" yogurt that was on the child's menu.

DD is generally happy to eat fairly healthy...lots of fruits and veggies (the kid loves mesclun and spinach salads), whole wheat pastas/grains, cheeses/plain yogurt, water, etc., so, if someone gives her a piece of candy at DH's work or whatever, I don't sweat it.
#83 of 126 Old 06-14-2008, 12:20 AM

well, dd and i follow a strict vegetarian (vegan) diet, for health reasons....so we don't have any animal products in the house.

i make most of our food, so i don't really worry about any of our snacks or goodies.

but we eat veggie dogs and vegan pizza and carob candy bars, from time to time.

we can't live in a cave forever!

#84 of 126 Old 06-14-2008, 12:43 AM

Artificial flavours and sweeteners (not a no no, but they don't have it often)
Soda
Meat and Eggs
Juice (except homemade juice, it has to be made by mummy or other relatives for approval)
Soy Products.
Cow Milk
Processed Foods
Hydrogenated stuff

They love every kinds of vegetables, every kind of fruits, organic dairy products, etc.
Healthy foods.
#85 of 126 Old 06-14-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Nothing from an animal (except for honey in baked goods, a compromise with my husband). Anything vegan is good to go after age 1 in our home.
However, we also avoid:
- hydrogenated oils
- high fructose corn syrup
- processed soy protein (except on rare occasions, ie. holidays)

Oh, and absolutely nothing from McDonald's, ever. (Heck, we won't even use their bathrooms!)
I'll use their toilet. I just won't eat there.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#86 of 126 Old 06-14-2008, 01:02 AM

No fast food
meat
dairy of any kind
commercial juices
Pretty much nothing processed, except the occasional thing from the health food market.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#87 of 126 Old 06-14-2008, 01:28 AM

MODERATION IS KEY!

"Love Is Something Eternal, The Aspect My Change, But Not The Essence"
#88 of 126 Old 06-14-2008, 01:36 AM

french fries
soda
juice
any fried foods (nuggets/fish sticks etc)
candy
hfcs and hydr. oils of course which rules out a lot of mainstrream stuff

i'm sure there's more!!
#89 of 126 Old 06-14-2008, 01:53 AM

I shouldn't have even looked....Really, does it make you feel like a better person because your kids don't eat french fries.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#90 of 126 Old 06-14-2008, 02:12 AM

Defainlty soda and juice. Everything else we try to be good about but its not the end of the word. We are defiantly better at home then we are out.

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page