Mothering Forum banner

What are some of your no no foods?

6K views 125 replies 107 participants last post by  sweetieberlin 
#1 ·
Like foods that your children absolutely CAN NOT have.

Mine

Hom/ Past. Milk
Formula (when he was little)
Hotdogs
Processed Meat
White Bread
Chicken Nuggets

I am trying to think of more...

Tell me what yours are.

#102 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss 1928 View Post
It would be very hard for some of us to live in Italy. Or Spain or Portugal. Lots of little kids there get to have coffee in a little cups mized with milk and sugar. Well, more milk and sugar than coffee. So sugar -milk with a shot of caffeine.

Well, I don't actually give my DD any Coffee (Or beer, for that matter), but, yes, it is pretty common to put a bit of coffee in their warm, sugared milk.

DD is already a huge ball of energy
:, I'm not going to give her caffine and extra sugar. That would be folly![/QUOTE]

My kids have had that many times. My dh remembers that sort of thing quite foundly. Now is he is profoundly American in his coffee -drinking. Large, black, and no sugar. Rather takes the fun out of it, I think. It's fuel now, not pleasure. I think it's kind of sad.

#103 ·
I live in Brooklyn and am surrounded by a lot of Italian-Americans. Most of my IA friends started drinking coffee at five years of age because it was the norm at that time. They didn't turn into serial killers or have psychotic problems because of it. We are vegetarians but I still have a coke or pepsi when we go out to restaurants - and sometimes DD (who is almost 2) gets a sip or two. I have no problem with that because it is a treat rather than the norm. We let DD have cake and ice cream at parties for the same reason. When I was growing up, my family ate very healthy, home-cooked meals...but we always had dessert...and I'm no worse for it. In fact, I think it created a healthy attitude toward sweets and I would rather take that approach than deny DD of certain foods in an effort to protect her from them.
:

#105 ·
She can't have anything with dairy, so in some ways that makes it easier to avoid lots of junk foods.

I am not big on fast food, but I am not going to forbid anything. I don't think her body at this age can really handle that stuff though, since I always feel sick after eating it.

I try to make sure she isn't getting caffeine, too.

#107 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by homemademomma View Post
i dislike them to have (and do not keep in the house)
hydrogenated oils
HFCS
artificial colors/flavors
conventional dairy or eggs
fake meat
i like the way you phrased it. i'm not so sure it is "forbidden" but things i do not buy (or consume myself) and things i dislike them to have:

sugar (refined, HFCS, organic)
hydrogenated oils (just olive, coconut and butter)
soda and juice
white breads or pasta
any fast food
deli meats
conventional dairy and meat
MSG
artificial sweetners
formula
processed foods like crackers and cereal

i'm sure there is somethign else...

that said, dd has had some of those things while at our parents but every time she has been miserable afterwards with tummy trouble, so i suspect she may have some sensitivities. for now, and some time to come, i control what food she is offered and thus what she eats and for that time i will choose the best foods possible for her. there will come a time when she can choose for herself, but i jsut think the early years are so formative for so many things, including brain development and taste preference development, that i want to be careful.

#110 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
Soda Pop
Beer
Coffee
Wine
Hard Candy

I agree with the above...also we don't do nuts or shellfish, I am very allergic to shellfish and want to wait until he is old enough to verbalize not feeling "right" before I give him nut products. No popcorn(which now I can't eat because he will try to get it!!) no hot dogs... we do some organic foods for the baby(milk is always only organic) its probably 60/40 for him at this point, our diet is not nearly as healthy as his
but we are trying.
We do give him juice, but its always watered down and in moderation. He will drink plain water, but I like having a glass of fresh orange juice in the morning when we buy it at the farmers market, and he loves it too...we will do sherbert or popsicles or the like as occasional treats. So far he is still really good about eating everything offered to him, so I hope he doesn't get picky as he gets older!!!

#111 ·
Since this is in Toddlers I will give our current list of no-no for our 14mo. It sounds strict but at this point he doesn't know any different and I want to give him the best start I can. When he's older and going round to friends' houses I will (hopefully) be more relaxed.

Sugar/sweetener of any kind except concentrated apple juice
Wheat
Any kind of additives - i.e. dyes, sweeteners, preservatives
non organic dairy or eggs
cow milk
alcohol
caffeine
hydrogenated oils
meat (until he old enough to ask for it and know what it is)

I try to keep non organic veg and fruit to less than about 5% of his diet.

Apart from the alcohol, caffeine and a bit of chocolate that pretty much reflects my diet so I don't feel too hypocritical.

As I said, this will relax as he gets older.

#112 ·
HFCS
hydrogenated oils
artificial sweeteners
candy
juice (she wouldn't drink it anyhow)
formula
soda
excessive sugar

For the most part we are a anything in moderation family, but those are a few things we avoid as a family. The only thing on that list *I* use are artificial sweeteners, and I do not allow dd to have sips of my tea if it has them in it.

#113 ·
our house rules (kids are 10, 7 and 13 months) are no:

HFCS
hydrogenated anything
MSG's (including autolyzed and hydrolyzed proteins among other hidden names of MSG's)
dyes
artificial sweeteners

occasionally i will let them have a bit of hydrogenated things or HFCS but NEVER the artificial sweeteners or MSG's. i guess because i read the HFCS can make you fat among other things and the hydrogenated stuff is bad for the heart. well, you can exercise to help that but the MSG's and artificial sweeteners kill your brain neurons and there's nothing you can do for that! my 7 yr old will actually ask me if we are out and they have stuff "mom, will this kill your brains cells?" LOL the bool was "Excitotoxins" but i can't remember who wrote it. anyhow they might have oreos a few times a year. so that is our slip up/treat. but also for the 13 months old i do not let her have milk (and we drink raw milk straight from the farm....) because she reacted badly to some once and i am not going through that again. and citrus- got welts on her legs after sucking on my orange. and obviously she has not had very much since she's so young- there is very few things she will actually open her mouth for. but above are the biggies for our house.

#116 ·
lastnight we were at a birthday party with ds and they served cheap cake with tons of blue frosting. ds had some and then had the biggest fit of his life. he was hysterical and i've never seen him like that. he's never had that kind of junk before. so, i guess i'm adding that to my list of no no's.
jeez.. i sound like such a food snob.

#117 ·
I don't really have any absolutely forbidden foods. I mean, there's plenty of stuff we as a general rule avoid, and don't have in our house: soda, candy, anything processed or full of artificial ingredients, etc. But I wouldn't hesitate to let them have a taste of stuff like that at somebody's house or whatever. At home we eat whole foods for the most part, but I don't have the time and energy to stress out over the occasional bite of something full of junk.

I was a lot stricter with DD1. She never tasted sugar or corn syrup until she was past 2 years old, for instance. But now I just have bigger fish to fry, and it's enough for me that we eat very well at home. Whole foods are the norm for my kids, and junk is a rare exception, and I guess I think that's the way it should be.

#118 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
ummmm.... can't think of any.

I'm a big believer in moderation in all things. I can't think of a single food I've forbidden.

-Angela
Same here.
But in saying that, we dont buy crap. If we dont have it, its not desired! lol...However, as we also try and live consensually, it does mean that if we are at othere peoples houses, where they do have crap (like grandmas for example lol), if my son wants some and they are sharing it out - then he has some. I would love my son to go vegetarian, etc...But thats his choice. All I can do is model for him myself. The world of food is presented to him as unbiastly as possible...one day hopefully he will be able to make knowing healthy decisions in how he chooses to eat.

#120 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magali View Post
Another moderation mama here.
I'll just second that.
We eat extremely healthy, lot's of fruits/veggies/all made from scratch foods. However, when we go to Grandma's, all bets aare off. Does it make me crazy? Yep, but I believe most things are okay once in awhile.
The only food that is forbidden is peanuts, because DD#1 is allergic.

#121 ·
we do as much as we can of naturally occurring foods, cutting out most all processed things but ds occasionally has annies natural grahams to snack... no hfcs, and no artificial dyes, we dont give him sugar but grandparents are amazing at making up where we dont! lol so we are strict but not unrealistically so... he loves veggies and is not so big on the meat.. but loves fish...lucked out i guess

#122 ·
NO soy
NO past/homogenized dairy

Both because he is allergic

As for as household preferences:
No artificial ingredients
No GMOs
Only organic/natural pasture raised animal products (meat, dairy, eggs)
Organic unless unavailable
No wheat (DH and I can't eat it)
No fast food (unless sushi made with organic rice and is pre-made counts- we do eat that)

I think thats it!

I make everything "junky" that we eat like cookies or lemon curd bars or candy, etc. So I don't think he will feel like he has missed anything, but we will talk about it as he gets older

#124 ·
Gin...Mama needs that all for herself!

Seriously though, nothing i can think of. I do not LET her have soda or coffee (she's 26 months) but i'd be lying if i said i'd never caught her having a sneaky sip from my cold coffee mug or almost empty soda can. I'd never give her a cup of either though! She has had babycino's in coffee shops, but in the UK a babycino is an unsweetened cup of foamed milk...

To be honest i prefer to focus on what we DO eat, rather than what we don't. We have a lot of fruit and veggies, free range eggs and mainly* unprocessed meat, lots of fish and shellfish and we grow our own herbs and some veggies (i only have pots, no garden you see). Most of the treats in the house (flapjacks, muffins, very occasionally cookies etc.) i make myself and i don't worry so much about things i saw the ingredients of. There are many things i'd not give her on a regular basis, like chicken nuggets or fish fingers, but she has tasted them once or twice in her life and it was no big deal to me.

*i'm a conscientious meat eater, which means we eat ALL the cuts, not just the pretty ones, so we eat blood sausage and normal sausage and various other products made from the offal and cheaper cuts, all made by my trusted local butcher. We believe that to show the proper respect to the animals we eat we should eat ALL of them and not have them die for the sake of a few small "choice" cuts.

#125 ·
We do not eat or drink anything with fake sugar ie diet pop or sugar free gum etc. Regular pop is fine as long as it dosnt have fake sugar.

DD cannot have eggs or nuts but other than that nothing is off limits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.