Drugging the kids to sleep... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-13-2007, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone here use Hyland's Calms Forte to help their kids sleep? I use it very rarely - in the past when ds was teething badly to help him sleep better, and now because the kids have colds and are napping so much during the day they're restless at night. It seems to work well, but whenever I drop the little "pill" into their mouths, I always feel guilty - like I'm sedating them or drugging them or something.

This stuff IS safe, right? Anyone else use this occasionally? It's okay, right? Or am I just a bad mom? :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2007, 12:02 AM

You are using the 4 kids formula? I don't use it but I didn't see anything in the formula that alarmed. However, I don't know alot about homeopathy.

It seems like this site http://abchomeopathy.com/
has alot of information and you can search by the individual ingredients.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post
You are using the 4 kids formula? I don't use it but I didn't see anything in the formula that alarmed. However, I don't know alot about homeopathy.

It seems like this site http://abchomeopathy.com/
has alot of information and you can search by the individual ingredients.
It's the regular formula - 1/2 strength for kids (so the directions say).

Let me check that link...
Old 10-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Banned

As my first reaction I would say, no it's not o.k. in my opinion!
I have never used anything like that and hopefully never will, even homeopathic!

Now, it also depends how old are your kids? If they are very little and sleep during the day under healthy circumstances a lot and now so much so that they can not sleep at night, I would say "maybe", BUT my first reaction to this situation would be to keep them up more during the day with whatever, so they still fall asleep in the evenings, let them nap only until 3pm!

As your second guessing yourself already with what you are doing, you know in the back of your head that it is not right, I would say follow your gut instinct and do not use it!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:28 AM

Maggie, do you know anything about homeopathic stuff?
Calmsforte for kids is completely drugfree, totally safe, even for small ones.
OP is not talking benadryl, here. It is not even like Rescue Remedy, which most formulas have some alcohol. Homeopathic medicine is at such minute doses that it is safe for even little ones.

I use it occasionnally for my 6 yo ADD child, who sometimes cannot settle at night. And no, she is not on Ritalin or any other ADD meds. But there is no reason, to my understanding, that it can't be given every night if it helps your child settle.

~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
Old 10-14-2007, 12:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerstar View Post
Maggie, do you know anything about homeopathic stuff?
Calmsforte for kids is completely drugfree, totally safe, even for small ones.
OP is not talking benadryl, here. It is not even like Rescue Remedy, which most formulas have some alcohol. Homeopathic medicine is at such minute doses that it is safe for even little ones.

I use it occasionnally for my 6 yo ADD child, who sometimes cannot settle at night. And no, she is not on Ritalin or any other ADD meds. But there is no reason, to my understanding, that it can't be given every night if it helps your child settle.
YES! I do know about homeopathic stuff! The poster asked if people were using it or not, I said I would not and obviously she is second guessing herself as well! I am not saying that she is a horrible mom or anything like that, but there are other ways to get the children to sleep!

Also it might start with just a little homeopathic pill, ....it is the principle idea of giving a pill for them to sleep that is a no go for me! Sorry if this does not agree with you!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

The kids are 3 and 1.5

And, as I said, I don't use this nightly. Today was our third time and I bought it two months ago when ds was teething so badly he couldn't sleep. I used Hyland's teething tablets and then gave him the Calms Forte. I really don't like using meds, so Tylenol is a last resort for teething pain.

Today, as I said, they both have colds and have been napping on and off, so their sleep is all messed up. Both were wound up but still visibly tired at bedtime, so the CForte helped ease them into dreamland.

My concern is that I haven't used this stuff before and I feel a bit weird giving it to them, as though it's a drug, even though I know it's not....
Old 10-14-2007, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggieinnh View Post
there are other ways to get the children to sleep!
Ideas? Both my kids fight sleep like some wouldn't believe. That night ds was teething, we were up till 3 am - rocking, singing, walking, pacing, bouncing, snuggling, but he was hurting so badly he just couldn't shut off the pain long enough to fall asleep. Maybe I should have used Tylenol then? Nah - I really didn't want to. Poor guy, though, perhaps I should have.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancta View Post
My concern is that I haven't used this stuff before and I feel a bit weird giving it to them, as though it's a drug, even though I know it's not....
If you are only concerned that it is a strong drug or similar, do not worry about it, ...if it is homeopathic!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:58 AM

I wish it worked for us, I'd happily drug them with calms forte for kids if that worked.
sleep is very important for babies/toddlers.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:36 AM

I felt a little like this when I gave dd some Hylands for her cold. I am so used to not using any pills that this seemed weird to me. It worked wonders though and I only had to use it 3 times.

I have wanted to use the calms forte for when we travel as dd takes 1-2 hours to settle and then is up the same normal time in the morning. Making for a tired little girl the next day. We travel regularly and she often ends up getting sick on our trips as well (I'm guessing from the lack of sleep). I have never found it though. Always the teething and colic one but not the calms forte.

All the best,

Mama to two beautiful children. 

Old 10-14-2007, 02:40 AM

I've used the 4 Kids formula when we travel and it works great. I also use it when I know DD's going to have a rough night -- like if for whatever reason she didn't get her naps in for the day (or they were too short) and I know it will affect her nighttime sleep, I give her a little help to help her settle. Thankfully that's not very often so it's mostly used for travel in hotel rooms, etc.

Do I feel guilty about it? No. Because I also give her teething tablets for teething pain. I trust the product, I use it wisely and it works for our family. I've done my research and I feel comfortable with my decision.

FYI - You can also try other brands like Boiron for teething. Boirin camilia worked better on my DS but not Hylands, and it was reversed for my DD (Hylands worked, not Boiron).

Sleep is so important for everyone and if you've exhausted all other ways, then I wouldn't feel guilty about using it as long as you are educated about your choices.

For what it's worth, Calms 4 Kids doesn't drug my kids nor does it give them instant sleep. It just calms and relaxes them enough so they can fall asleep on their own (as opposed to tossing and turning and waiting for sleep to overtake them hours later).
Old 10-14-2007, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I actually haven't used the Calme Forte, but have used the teething tablets and wished we knew about the colic one when he was tiny. I think they are natural, safe and for us the teething tablets seem to be somewhat effective, when the pain isn't too great I'm guessing -- helps take the edge off.

Its not like you are giving it to them so you can take a nap. You are trying to help your little ones sleep relating to a trying time with an illness.

I think I'll see if I can find some and keep in on hand in case we may need it. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-14-2007, 05:18 AM

Homeopathics are *very* safe for little kids.

To give you an idea, at one point I had a collection of homeopathic remedies of approximately 25 tubes. My daughter was four, and a friend was over, a six year old, really old enough to know better, but a troubled little girl, and she found the homeopathics when she snuck into my bedroom (where the girls were not allowed to play) and she ate them all. :

That's right, she ate $140 worth of homeopathics, the equivalent of maybe 750 doses (yes, that's right, seven HUNDRED doses), thinking they were candy.

The only negative side effect? I didn't allow her to come over to our house again for three months--that was a LOT of money to lose. But I was not worried for a second about toxicity issues, and there were none.

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

Old 10-14-2007, 05:46 AM

My dd used to wake from nightmares and they helped her tremendously.

I will give either kid a dose if they are tired but have had a rough day or aren't feeling well. It helps them sleep better and it doesn't have negative side effects, I don't see anything to feel guilty about. You aren't doing it soley for your own selfish reasons but to help your children.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:54 AM

I've used it before with no worries. I've also used Rescue Remedy Sleep. One thing I do about once a week is take a cotton ball and a few drops of lavender essential oil and rub it on the wall just above DD's bed and a little on her fan we turn on at night. It makes the whole room smell so nice and calm. It seems to work for DD. She does have sleep issues but some of those are caused by the loud neighbor right above her bedroom stomping around all night.:

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
Old 10-14-2007, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
I've used it before with no worries. I've also used Rescue Remedy Sleep. One thing I do about once a week is take a cotton ball and a few drops of lavender essential oil and rub it on the wall just above DD's bed and a little on her fan we turn on at night. It makes the whole room smell so nice and calm. It seems to work for DD. She does have sleep issues but some of those are caused by the loud neighbor right above her bedroom stomping around all night.:
ooooh....i love the lavender idea. thanks! and to the pp - 750 doses worth of homeopathics in her body? WOW! incredible stuff, that it doesn't harm them in big quantities yet at the same time a little dose can still help them, isn't it? if that makes any sense. it's late here.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:54 AM

If you have the knowledge that there is something out there that will help your child when he's sick and tired and poorly and you don't use it because you think it's wrong, does that make you a better mother???

If you're using it for the same thing on a regular basis, I'd go and find a constitutional remedy with help from a VERY experienced amateur or a professional. If you're using it with the infrequency that you'd use rescue remedy, say, go for it.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:39 AM

I don't think there is anything wrong with using calms forte. Dd is 2.5 and she has a hard time settling, calms forte does not drug her, but it does help her to calm down, and decreases the liklihood of a meltdown. We don't use it daily, but I bet we use it 2-3 times a week, it just depends on her.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:06 PM

Using the correct homeopathic remedy is not drugging a child to sleep, IMO. If you're using the correct remedy for your child (the children's version for CF is the easily dissolving one, not the hard tablet), I see no harm whatsoever is using it. We use it all the time during teething.

A homeopathic remedy will have no effect if the symptoms it's designed to treat aren't the right ones for that remedy. It's absolutely safe.

If it doesn't work, it's not the right remedy, but there should be no side effects from administering it.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 10-14-2007, 12:07 PM

we use teething and colic tabs pretty regularly, and calms once in awhile. i see nothing wrong with it. it's not like you're trying to knock them out or develop some kind of dependancy (that won't happen with homeopathics, anyway). if you're looking at tylenol in one hand and homeopathics in another, i'd always take the homeopathics.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:58 PM

Dp thought that this is what I was doing when he saw me give DD the Calms Forte for kids. For DD when she is teething the teething tabs would be enough to help her sleep(she would get two at a time when she was older,like 9-12mo). We do us the calms forte to help her sleep every once in awhile. We only use em when she has had a rough day, gets candy to late in the day when we are out somewhere for a visit, is sick...etc....things that might alter her mood to the point that it makes it hard for her to settle. Usually she settles within an hour. If she has one of those days where it may take her two+ hrs to get to sleep then we use em.
I dont see anything wrong with using them if it helps your baby settle in. We also use Arbonne unwind to help her settle too. That is a great herbal spray. She gets all excited and tells me how good she smells when I spray her..

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

Old 10-14-2007, 05:09 PM

i have used newton's homeopathic fever-aid to help dd sleep when she has a fever. no shame in it. we used it on the plane, too flying from usa to australia.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The kids are 3 and 1.5

And, as I said, I don't use this nightly. Today was our third time and I bought it two months ago when ds was teething so badly he couldn't sleep. I used Hyland's teething tablets and then gave him the Calms Forte. I really don't like using meds, so Tylenol is a last resort for teething pain.

Today, as I said, they both have colds and have been napping on and off, so their sleep is all messed up. Both were wound up but still visibly tired at bedtime, so the CForte helped ease them into dreamland.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. IMO it is a totally safe, natural way to help your little ones wind down when there are other things going on. Sleep is very important for everyone.

I don't see how this is any different than adults having a cup of chamomile tea, warm milk etc before bed.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:17 PM

I have some of the calms 4 kids, and it only gives a dosage for age 2 and up. Is it okay to give to an 1.5 yr old anyway?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:17 PM

liki, I give my 18 month old 1/2 the recommended dosage. It's had absolutely no ill effects whatsoever here.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 10-14-2007, 11:04 PM

I use it occassionally for my 2.5 year old son with no guilt. I have also used other homeopathic medicine for colds and teething.
Also try some cooled down chamomile tea before bed. It works the best for relaxing my ds after a long day.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:20 PM

Thank goodness you are using a homeopathic remedy!! They are totally safe and you can never overdose on it. It works with the immune system, whereas tylenol or other medications suppress the immune system and are terrably hard on the liver.

Homeopathic is the way to go - I use it for my kids as well and they do work!
Old 10-14-2007, 11:44 PM

I agree that homeopathic treatment is safe and, imo, necessary if your children are not sleeping. They are exhibiting a symptom of something that has gone amiss in their bodies, and giving them the remedy to help relieve the symptom while not hindering their immune systems' work in resolving the cause, is what a loving, responsible mum does (if she's aware, of course)!

If they are hungry, you give them food. Their hunger is the symptom of their bodies' need for nutrition, and you treat the symptom (sign) with nourishment. I don't see how that differs in your situation. If your child had a definite calcium deficiency, would you deny calcium-rich foods or even a supplement if it became necessary to correct what could then be a temporary issue?

It's impossible to overdose on homeopathics- quite possible to waste them, though, as a pp reported (and that sucks, btw; I felt a little twinge in my stomach reading about the $140 candy spree...).

OP, our boys fight sleep like nobody we've ever known (well... except me, maybe ) and we've gone through every system and recommended procedure/routine for helping them to sleep longer and better. NOTHING has ever worked and I've just had to come to terms with the fact that they have a similar constitution to me- they think of sleep as a 'waste of time' and their minds are very powerful over the signs their poor tired bodies give them. Like you, I give them homeopathics when they are not even sleeping their normal amount which is very little, because something else is going on. If they are having their normal not-enough-sleep, I don't give them anything, because I really just think they'll start having enough sleep when they are at an age when this short amount is adequate, and not before.

I'm exhausted too. I take kallium phosphoricum when I find it too hard to cope with the day after too little sleep; it really helps me.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

Old 10-15-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Does anyone here use Hyland's Calms Forte to help their kids sleep? I use it very rarely - in the past when ds was teething badly to help him sleep better, and now because the kids have colds and are napping so much during the day they're restless at night. It seems to work well, but whenever I drop the little "pill" into their mouths, I always feel guilty - like I'm sedating them or drugging them or something.

This stuff IS safe, right? Anyone else use this occasionally? It's okay, right? Or am I just a bad mom? :
Some people think that homeopathic remedies are no more effective than a placebo, so from that point of view, the calms forte is akin to a sugar pill. (http://nccam.nih.gov/health/homeopathy/, http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...ics/homeo.html, http://arstechnica.com/articles/cult...homeopathy.ars)

User Tag List