At what age is it normal... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-14-2007, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...for kids to be able to name all the letters of the alphabet on sight?

:

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#2 of 28 Old 10-14-2007, 11:21 PM

I think part of it depends on whether you work with them on it. My older ds is very bright, but I never worked with him on letters so he only knew a couple going into preschool last month at age 4. However, in the month that he's been there he knows most of them by sight now. Most of his friends who went to preschool last year at age 3 know their letters by sight. I was concerned about his not knowing them and his teacher told me not to worry, that he'll pick them all up this year. Not sure if that helps, but that's my own experience.
#3 of 28 Old 10-14-2007, 11:38 PM

We have not been working on them at all with DS (who will be 3 in 3 weeks). He just learned to sing the ABC's recently. He is in pre-school so I bet we will be working on it soon. I need to get in gear and start doing it at home.
#4 of 28 Old 10-14-2007, 11:48 PM

My DS (#3) knew them (upper case only) by age 2 and a couple of months. He was just interested in learning them. My DS (#2) knew the sounds before the letter (if that makes sense) by age 4.
#5 of 28 Old 10-14-2007, 11:54 PM

DS1 was under 2. . .but he was reading well at right around three. DD was 2 1/2, I think - I know she knew most letter sounds by 3. My current 2 yo calls all letters E .
#6 of 28 Old 10-14-2007, 11:57 PM

I don't know when it's normal. DD started to point to letters and ask what they were and could recognize a handful by 18 months. Now at 21 months DD and DS know most by sight. I didn't intentionally teach them but they do have a phonics bus they like to play with so I guess that is how they picked them up. I'm not sure why but they both just have an interest in letters.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#7 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 12:00 AM

DD could recognize and name the numbers one through ten around 20 months and could recognize and name upper and lower case letters right at 23 months.

I actually never thought to show her or 'work' on the numbers at all, she surprised the heck out of me when she did it; I then did get her some alphabet blocks and named letters for her on request and she picked them up right away.

She's pretty self-driven in this particular area, though, if that makes sense. I think there's a pretty broad range of 'normal' for this kind of stuff based on what individual kids are interested in.
#8 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 12:01 AM

Dd is 32 months and can sing the alphabet song and recognize most letters (capital and small case) by site. She does get mixed up between "b" and "p", and "i" and "j" though. Recently she's been spelling out the words in her kids books.

We've been reading to her since she was 6 months though and singing the alphabet song as her toothbrushing song since she started having teeth, around age 13mo.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#9 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 12:09 AM

Well, I'm in the camp of just following kids leads and interests. I really think if a child is presented with or "taught" many could probably learn them by age two and younger. But it wouldn't prove anything really, you know? So I don't think there is a typical age for this.

Anyway, one of my boys just started learning them on his own around 18 months. He had most of them (upper case only) and I freaked out and put all his letters away. Because I was silly and terrified of autism and not thinking clearly. And yep, he's on the spectrum! And it is ok!

So we got our diagnosis about age 2.5 and I relaxed and got the letters back out and even played a video they got for their birthday both the boys knew their upper and lower case by three I think. But for my typically developing son I think maybe was only interested because he noticed his brother, you know? I wouldn't worry at all if they didn't know them yet.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#10 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD1 is 4.75y and still doesn't know all her letters. She can recognize her name, and knows a couple others, but she just isn't interested in learning them.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#11 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 12:36 AM

My son learned them from books and his word whammer and magnetic letters and such by 14 months.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#12 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Well, I'm in the camp of just following kids leads and interests. I really think if a child is presented with or "taught" many could probably learn them by age two and younger. But it wouldn't prove anything really, you know? So I don't think there is a typical age for this.

This is so true! "Typical" can be just about any age, I think. My ds1 had NO interest in learning letters, etc. - even when he started school at age 5. Boy, his teacher really stressed, but I didn't - I just figured he'd learn when ready. He did, and now loves to read (he reads at least for an hour every night before bed) and reads several grades above his current grade level.

A happy woman
#13 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 01:44 AM

Somewhere between 2 and 6 . It's a skill that children are expected to have by the end of kindergarten. 18 months is early, but not unheard of. Our son was very much into shapes and colors at that age and could name them all. Our dd didn't care, and didn't learn most of those until she was 2-3. Younger than 18 months is either an extraordinarily motivated child, or parent (or both!).

The timing depends on the child's interests, the parents' interests, and other things going on. Our ds could recognize some letters by age 3, but I remember putting together an alphabet train puzzle with him when he was 3 and singing the alphabet song after we were done. I could see the light bulb going on in his brain -- "you mean THAT'S what that song refers to!" - he was obsessed with the puzzle for a week, and then could name them all.

Dd learned some time between 2 and 3. I can't tell you because all I know is that she can now, she has for quite some time, and I didn't explicitly teach her. I do remember reading an alphabet book with her at about 2 1/2, and she wanted me to repeat each page until she "got it". She's big on memorizing books and pretending to read.

Reading and writing is big in our house, and we have lots of opportunities for our kids to explore with letters -- books, puzzles, magnets, etc. I'm not into quizzing kids, so our teaching took place indirectly.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#14 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
I can't tell you because all I know is that she can now, she has for quite some time, and I didn't explicitly teach her.

DS is almost 5, and he can read pretty well - I didn't teach him. I remember he did have an early interest in letters and numbers and such, and learned them early, along with colors.

DD is 2. I don't think she knows any of her letters or numbers, though she might. She just today surprised me by correctly naming a few colors.

I will say that I think DS picked up on all that a little early, because I exposed him to that information in a way that I have not with DD. DS was my first so I spent more time with him talking about letters, etc. DD has been left to pick it up in a more indirect way, lol. So it has happened a little later but she is just as smart as DS.
#15 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 AM

"Normal" is a relative term here I think. My 18 month old can pick out any letter of the alphabet when asked, but she can't yet say them, if that makes sense. So technically she knows her ABCs on sight but can't verbalize them.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#16 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 01:13 PM

We didn't really start doing anything with letters until a few months ago, so my 4.75 yr. old doesn't know all the letters. My 21 mo. old happens to have an older brother, though, so they're learning together. I think anytime between 18 mos. and 7 is pretty normal, I know kids at both ends of that range.
#17 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 01:20 PM

My dd was very interested in letters and words, and she knew them all by 2.5. My son isn't that interested yet, and isn't talking the way his sister was at this age, so at 20 months, he doesn't really recognize or point out letters.

There's a big range of normal, here, IMO.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#18 of 28 Old 10-15-2007, 01:24 PM

Some kids don't learn until school. My oldest knew all of them at 1 and my oldest son 3 and youngest daughter at 2 but my youngest son who is now 2 doesn't even know how to say them or recognize them so I guess it depends on the child.
#19 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 09:52 AM

My dd knew a handful at 16-18 months and started making M and O (zigzag line and lots of spirals) because that was her little obsession at the time (she had just gotten an easel for christmas and always wanted to draw them)

But, then her interest went away, and occasionally she'll become interested again. She knows probably 1/3 of them now or so. Every once in awhile I'll notice her recognizing one. I suspect she knows more than I realize. One day she picked up a V foam letter horizontally and said "broken K" I didn't even know she knew the letter K, letter along that she could recognize that part of it.

She'll sing parts of the Alphabet, but, she's also pretty shy about singing so we only find out when she doesn't realize we're looking!
#20 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 10:52 AM

My ds didn't even start to speak until he was 2, and then all he cared was cars and trucks. Only very recently he started to show interests in letters (he is 3 now) and picked up real quick, so I am not worried at all. I think it's just a matter of time - when they are ready they will pick up at no time.
#21 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 10:54 AM

DS (18 mo) points out and says O,E,I, Q, P. He also thinks a T is an I, and a C is an O. :

It seems to vary so widely from kid to kid.
#22 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 11:54 AM
ggs

DD is 21 months, and she can sing the alphabet song, minus a few letters. She also recognizes a majority of the letters by sight. She learned her letters through flashcards, which we play with every few days.
#23 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 12:01 PM

Without me or DH really "working" on it with her, dd could recognize uppercase letters by age 2 and lowercase letters by around 2.5. Not sure if tht is normal or not.
#24 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 03:05 PM

Around 17-18 months old DD could point to 7-10ish letters when asked, and was signing as many. Around 21 months she could do that with all of them, and at 24 months she could actually say them all. She doesn't know the alphabet song though.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#25 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 04:04 PM

My DD who just turned 3 on Sunday, shows no interest in learning any of that kind of stuff...she wants to be a kid, playing outside, running around, pretending and all sorts of stuff. She loves to read and pretend to read, but if I step in to point letters out and stuff, she gets really made and says "Hey, I was reading that!"
#26 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 04:49 PM

I honestly hadn't even considered teaching the alphabet to my 2 yo. I figure she has her whole life to learn them and we're not in any rush.
She's also in a Montessori school full-time and it isn't something they emphasize at this stage in her development...she does know how to do up buttons by herself though!
#27 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 06:24 PM

My DD will be 4 in January, and she still doesn't know them all by sight. She just recently learned to sing the ABC's (she had to go to speech therapy for being a late talker), so I'm taking it slow with her. She gets frustrated and upset easily, so I'm letting her learn at her own pace.
#28 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 06:29 PM

My 27 month old has lately shown a fascination with letters, she can now recognise somewhere between 50-75% of them.

I don't know where that falls on the range, but she is ahead of her age in a couple of other areas.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page