Halloween Costumes - Make your own or Buy?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you make your Halloween costumes or buy?
Make my own 48 46.15%
Buy 37 35.58%
Other 19 18.27%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 10-17-2007, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My mom always made our costumes, and then the costumes made the rounds. There are a few that all the cousins have worn at one point (and many of the neighbors). Mymo kicks butt in the costume department.

She no longer sews and I don't know how so I buy. It's only dd's second Halloween but my plan is to put them (or parts of them) in the dress up bin or pass them on or something. It seems silly for a perfectly good outfit to be worn only one time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 60 Old 10-17-2007, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We do both. This year DS #1 wants to be a ghost!! How easy will that be?
DS #2 I am not sure yet - probably a monster. And DD will probably want to be a dragon or a unicorn - both of which we have from years past. I agree with a post fearlyer about a $4 costume on ebay - you really can't beat it for when the kids are little. Now that the kids are getting older, they do want to participate more.
#33 of 60 Old 10-17-2007, 09:57 PM

I do both. I seem to end up making one costume and buying the others.

This year I "made" a sun costume for DS#2, since that's what he wanted to be - it's just cut out of poster board and affixed to a t-shirt so it's not too sturdy or fancy, but hey, it's ready for trick-or-treating! We bought DD a princess dress she liked at the store and DS#1 still hasn't decided what he wants to be yet. I'm trying to talk him into being a mummy since we've been studying ancient Egypt and I think that would be a fun and easy costume to make.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#34 of 60 Old 10-17-2007, 11:18 PM

My days of crafting are long gone (ds#1 is 3 so I'd say it was just about that long since I've done anything crafty!!). I will definitely buy. Sadly, kiddo has his heart set on being Superman. Hubby and I have absolutely no idea where he came up with that one :
#35 of 60 Old 10-19-2007, 02:38 AM

Buy. I would love to make one but I am a mess at sewing. I used to make my own by strategically using staples and duct tape under fabric. Maybe once DD is old enough that I would consider that practice safe I will return to my crafty ways.

: 10/06 : 10/09
#36 of 60 Old 10-19-2007, 08:55 AM

If I had more time, I would make it.

However, I have to keep my sanity. If buying a costume is what will give me a few less stressful moments, then so be it.

Hopefully, next year I will have some more time (doubtful with a new baby, but one can always hope!)

Or I can always do the sheet-over-the-head thing :
#37 of 60 Old 10-19-2007, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Other, DD's grandma bought her one last year that was too big, so we're using that. I plan on making her costumes, but we'll see what she wants to be.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#38 of 60 Old 10-19-2007, 09:49 AM

I bought second hand last year (yard sale and cosignment). and this year I'm making. DS#1 is going to be the tinman from the wizard of oz and ds#2 is going to be the lion. If I have time I'll put together a dorthy costume for myself (goodwill should have something) and stuff old sweats and a flannel shirt for dh to be the scarecrow.
I've finished the lion costume and am going to start on the tinman today (or soon
#39 of 60 Old 10-19-2007, 10:11 AM

I checked 'other' because I do both. My older son likes a store-bought costume, but he will usually make something to go with it. Like this year he has made a jet pack to go with his purchased costume. I am in the process of making my 3 year old's costume. He usually ends up wearing something that I made for his big brother years ago, but this is the first year that he has had a strong opinion on what he should be for Halloween. So, we are making it together.
#40 of 60 Old 10-19-2007, 03:47 PM

I've bought for the past 2 years but dd wants to be a robot this year and that seems doable...I bought a grey l/s shirt and grey pants and will just decorate them
#41 of 60 Old 10-19-2007, 03:48 PM

If I had sewing skills, I'd ALWAYS make them!
#42 of 60 Old 10-19-2007, 03:50 PM

I havent the foggiest idea how to sew, but after looking at the expensive CRAP at the stores I visited, I decided it was time to learn. I spent $30 on a pattern and fabric for both kids costumes. My mom actually ended up making them though. But I will prbably continue to try each year (and if my mom accidently takes over the project-ok!)

The store bought costumes were awful!!!!
#43 of 60 Old 10-19-2007, 03:50 PM

I actually just made DS's yesterday. He's going to be a bumble bee this year. I spent about $5 in fabric.

I will probably my make kids costumes until I either run out of time or get a lot of money to spend.
#44 of 60 Old 10-19-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurlgirl26 View Post
I actually just made DS's yesterday. He's going to be a bumble bee this year. I spent about $5 in fabric.

I will probably my make kids costumes until I either run out of time or get a lot of money to spend.
#45 of 60 Old 10-19-2007, 09:38 PM

I would gladly buy a costume but dd1 seems to come up with costume ideas that I can't find in the stores and I can't talk her into something else. Last year she was a penguin and this year she wants to be a ghost. She wants sis to be a ghost too. I bought a huge white sheet and now I have to figure out how to turn it into two ghosts.
#46 of 60 Old 10-19-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlr View Post
I would gladly buy a costume but dd1 seems to come up with costume ideas that I can't find in the stores and I can't talk her into something else. Last year she was a penguin and this year she wants to be a ghost. She wants sis to be a ghost too. I bought a huge white sheet and now I have to figure out how to turn it into two ghosts.
I have two ideas.

Using the sheet. Measure from the top of DD head to her ankles. Take a piece of string slightly longer so you can knot it and still have that length. Tie one end of the string to a pin and the other to a marking pen. Use this like a compass to draw a circle on the sheet. Cut out the circle. Drape the Circle over DD. Mark where her shoulders are then take it off and make 3 to 4 inch slits coming down from shoulders for her arms. Put it back on DD and very carefully mark where her eyes are. Cut hole for her to see. Safety pinning the top to an elastic head band will prevent it from sliding around. Dress DD in a whit shirt.

Other option. Get a long white dress or make one from the sheet. Then drape cheese cloth over DD.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#47 of 60 Old 10-19-2007, 11:56 PM

I haven't read all the other responses yet.

Ever since I learned to sew three years ago, I make the kids' costumes. But, I will be the first to admit that it is more about me than it is about them. : I know that they would probably be just as happy with an off-the-rack Thomas the Tank Engine costume as with my hand-sewn dinosaur costume with a real tail, but I don't care, it's fun for me to do and so I keep doing it. Besides, I really get a kick out of going to the fabric store with them every September and having them flip through the catalogs with me and pick out their costumes. Well, not every September, because I try to make the costumes big so that they can get multiple years' use out of them.

Here are some pix of previous costumes:

dd's witch costume from 2 years ago

dd's ladybug costume and ds's dinosaur costume from last year
#48 of 60 Old 10-20-2007, 12:39 AM

I bought one. Its cheaper ($12 for the monkey costume dd wanted) I don't think I can buy the fabric alone that cheap. I can't sew. DD would never give me the time to sew one even if I could.
#49 of 60 Old 10-20-2007, 01:02 AM
Banned

I voted other because I have done both. This year I bought because DD picked out the. perfect. costume. (in her opinion of course). I might make mine though.
#50 of 60 Old 10-20-2007, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
The link didn't work and I want to see.

#51 of 60 Old 10-20-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
The link didn't work and I want to see.

Hmm... maybe the site was down temporarily? I just tried it and they work for me. :
#52 of 60 Old 10-20-2007, 10:55 AM

My favorite costume EVER was the only one my mom made, when I was 8. I was a green crayola crayon, made out of a tube of felt with puff paint markings. She even made me a hat that looked like a crayon tip. WOW. I STILL tell her I want her to make me another one, only in the size I am now.

Best. Costume. Ever.

I still make all my costumes now, and would love to make my kids' too. The possibilities are endless, yk? And you don't have to be a TV character when you make your own. The kid can be part of the process.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#53 of 60 Old 10-20-2007, 02:52 PM

I LOVE making costumes, and once my older DSs started school, they all insisted on store bought cartoon characters like all their friends. So I am really savoring this time with my 2yo DS!

Last year I made him an adorable puppy costume- gray hooded sweatsuit with sewn on floppy ears and a tail. This year he's going to be a scarecrow, he absolutely loves them and always points them out to me when we go for walks.
#54 of 60 Old 10-20-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlr View Post

Cut 2 eye holes in it-

Old school style!
#55 of 60 Old 10-20-2007, 07:49 PM

I had voted in the poll earlier this week and now have to change my vote I've always before made costumes, but I saw a Tigger costume super cheap at Goodwill today and bought it. I'll still be buying material and making ears to go with it, but not making the entire costume. With being so sick this past month and still catching up on stuff not having to make 2 costumes in the next week really appealed to me.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#56 of 60 Old 10-20-2007, 08:29 PM

I seem to alternate from year to year -- buying consignment store costumes or making one. Last year I made Dylan a tiger costume. This year I didn't need the pressure of another pre-baby sewing project and bought a consignment store costume.
#57 of 60 Old 10-20-2007, 10:24 PM

I always said I would make DS's - but we found the cutest Yoda costume, so I bought his for this year! Hopefully next year I'll make his though.
#58 of 60 Old 10-20-2007, 10:29 PM

I hate to sew, so I buy my DD, but next year I'll probably make them because we might have two.

Last year she was a pine tree car air freshener and this year she is a marshmallow peep
#59 of 60 Old 10-21-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
Hmm... maybe the site was down temporarily? I just tried it and they work for me. :
Yup, it works now. Whatever the problem was it was temporary. So I saw them and they are adorable.

#60 of 60 Old 10-21-2007, 12:18 AM

Buy, albeit used at the consignment store. I don't have time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page